Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Casa Mexicana Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$302
US$293
Hotels.com
3,266 results
All reviewsadult pooliguana grillsnack barla islagolf packagefamily poolfishsea weedocean viewmake reservationschicken wingssmall resortactivities poolclear watergreat beachbuffet restaurantactivities staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Let me start by saying I have been staying at this property for 26 years and plan on continuing to stay here for many future visits. I don't normally write reviews, but felt after reading some of the reviews posted, I must. The hotel staff are extremely courteous, friendly and welcoming! There are a few employees that have been there for the 26 years I have been staying at this property and many other employees who have been there for quite some time. I have never encountered an unfriendly member of this staff! They always remember us and it's like seeing an old friend! Yes, the property is a little older than some, but it is well maintained, very clean and has pretty grounds. No, it is not the Four Seasons-but you are not paying for the Four Seasons! You get a great value for your money! It is also not the largest property on the island, which is what we like. If you are looking for a mega resort with "discos" and all night partying, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a great place to get away and relax, this is it. They do have various entertainment "shows" nightly which are usually over by 10:00p.m.. Most people, my husband and I included, come here to relax, get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday stresses and soak up the ambiance of the beautiful island and culture of Cozumel. There are two lovely swimming pools, one with a bar, and a beautiful white sand beach which you can walk in either direction. Or, if you choose, just lay under a hut and relax and ejoy the beautiful water. You can also walk down past the ElCozumeleno Hotel to the sandy cove and let the current take you back down towards the Melia for beautiful snorkeling. This is an all inclusive resort and I believe they try very hard to please everyone as far as food and drinks go. The breakfasts are wonderful with fresh fruits, juices an omelet/egg station and plenty of other choices including some delicious Mexican options. Lunch is either the buffet or snack bar. There is always a fresh choice at the grilling station, usually a meat and/or chicken and seafood. I usually opt for the fish which never disappoints. The soups are delicious. The snack bar had good burgers. There are two choices for dinner, the buffet and Cafe' Paraiso which is reservation only. The menu at Cafe' Paraiso has choices for everyone and it makes for a nice, romantic dinner setting with a paino player and excellent service. Dinner at the buffet always has a theme i.e. Mexican (great tamales), Italian, etc., and, again, there is something for everyone. Ask for the fresh ice cream choices! I saw some reviews about service at the buffet as far as drinks go and I must say that I have never experienced a problem. There was always a friendly, familiar face there to refill my coffee, beer, wine or whatever! I will say that we usually leave a couple of dollars at every meal-maybe you get the service you pay for. Don't miss "happy hour" in the lobby bar from 7-9 for drinks, an excellent piano player and unbeatable sunset! Housekeeping was the same, familiar faces, sweet smiles and always a spotless room with ample bottled water, clean towels, etc.. Again, a few dollars a day to housekeeping goes a long way. If you are a golfer as my husband is, there is a Jack Nicklaus course right across the street and I believe it is owned by the hotel. I believe our stay at the hotel seems to have coincided with some of the recent "group" reviews regarding lack of "discos and poor service/housekeeping". It seems there are some people who come to Mexico and an all inclusive property and all they want to do is drink excessively, treat the staff with disrespect and make lots of noise. Maybe that is why they received poor service and they should choose to go somewhere else for their next vacation. As for my husband and I, we will be back again and again!

12  Thank Connie240
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Thank for your feedback, and for share your experience with other users..
It is a pleasure for me to know you enjoyed your stay at the hotel with the facilities and a good service. As well the island of Cozumel is really pretty.
We hope to have them back soon to your second home Melià Cozumel.

Cordially

Reviewed 11 June 2012

The hotel is small compared to others I have stayed at but has everything you need. It was a great place for golf, but not a place for fun. Very few activites are offered, and even the ones that are were not done on most days. We were with a group of 30 and found it impossible to do any activities because they never had equiptment.

The pool bar, is very small with only a few seats. This pool and bar closed at 6pm. You can then go to the beach bar, but they blender rarely worked and the service was terrible. The only nightly activity ended by 9pm and then the lobby bar was the only one open after that time. For a group that wanted to party and have drinks this was not the place to be. The tried to have a "dance/Disco" by the pool but again it was a very small hut with no air flow, and very stuffy. This area has no bar, so you have to go into the lobby to get a drink.

If you are looking for a quiet, getaway this is a great place with a nice sand beach and lots of water front. By 10pm it is dead silent and nothing going on.

Our room was horrible!!! first our patio door broke and would rarely open. The second day the elevator stoped working and we were on the 4th floor, and on the 3rd day our air conditioner started leaking causing our room to flood. When I complained they stated it would all be fixed. On our last day of vacation they finally offered to move us to a better room as they never fixed any of these things.

The maid was terrible, the first day we had bottled water, a sand rug, ample towles, and toiletries. the second day no more water. when we asked other friends they all go water each day. By the 3rd day we no longer had water, a rug, or garbage cans. On the 4th day they didn't even give us towles. Each day we had to call and request the supplies that should be furnished with the room. Very frustrating!

In the dinning area the service was just as poor. The server will take your drink order but rarely bring it to you. I could never get coffee in the morning, and most days we had to find our own silver wear.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jekberg
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

I appreciate your comments and the time it took to share with others.
With respect about the cleaning I will pass your comments tou our ​Housekeeping and Maintenance to checked the rooms. Also about the serivice to comment on the pool bar, if you could give me the name or description of the bar man that gives you a bad service?
In my signature comes my e-mail if you could please contact me, I will appreciate because we didnt give this class of servicein the Hotel. I am at your orders.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed at the Melia and loved it!!!! This was me and my husband's first trip to Cozumel and actually our first trip out of America so we were very anxious on what to expect. We had read all the reviews on the Melia Cozumel and all I can say is there must be some extremely picky/hard to please people out there...The resort is small but beautiful!! We loved the indoor/outdoor concept and everything was either new or newly updated!!! The staff was very friendly and the groundskeepers were always cleaning/working to keep the place looking great...and I mean from morning to after dark they were out there working which was impressive!!

We had a junior suite room in the main tower building and it was HUGE with a beautiful ocean view and it very nicely decorated and updated...it's true that the rooms were muggy from the humidity but we kept our balcony door open all night and were still comfortable...plus its the caribbean so we expected humidity. The bed was comfortable and our room was cleaned nicely everyday...our mini bar was not restocked...but we didn't need it restocked anyways...they did give us new waters everyday...

The food was good...it's true that we didn't like everything that we tried on the buffets but that is the same wherever you go...they actually had some very delicious dishes at every buffet and we always had good service too...the snack restaurant was great and convenient...we did eat at the a la carte restaurant one night that had more of a fine dining feeling which was very nice...but we preferred the buffets actually :)

The bar service was excellent!!! Strong drinks and quick service and friendly bartenders...we did tip every now and then for bar, food, and maid service :)

The beach was AMAZING!!!! We were prepared for the murkier water from reading all the reviews...but it really wasn't that bad...it's true the water wasn't as crystal clear as the resort next door's water was...but it was a just a 2 minute walk to the other resort to swim/snorkel so it wasn't a big deal...and the Melia's water was clear in certain spots and it had a more sandy ocean floor compared to the more rocky floor at the other resort...we swam and snorkeled at both resorts...but the best swimming is on the other side of the island where the waves are huge and endless!!!

The nightlife/nighttime entertainment was OKAY...some nights were better than others...they have a nightclub but it was not open everynight...and a lot of it depended on the type of crowd that was there too....

We booked our trip through Apple Vacations and Salvador (our Apple rep) was great!!!! He was at the resort a few times and we met with him to book all our excursions (including a glass bottem boat snorkel tour at 3 reefs, a polaris tour around the island that included mayan ruins, lighthouse, alligaters, snorkel, tequila tour/sampling, and an ATV adventure through the jungle) and he even called to find out how everything went!! He made us feel very comfortable for it being our first trip to another country...In fact we felt completey safe in Cozumel...you definetly can feel safe going off the resort and exploring the island and town on your own...we rented a jeep for the day to do that and we highly recommend going to the other side of the island...and went in to town at night to explore the nightlife...also the Melia is only a short taxi ride from town and the doorsmen take care of getting the taxi for you because they are right on site...All in all we were extremely pleased with all our excursions...everybody was so nice and they were all well organized....

We had such a great time in Cozumel and at the Melia that we will definetely return!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is definetely worth it
5  Thank Esmart06
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Thank you for your comments, it is a pleasure for me to know you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Melià Cozumel and also I am pleased you reveived the service you deserve, I'm glad you enjoyed the beach and the excursion to explore the island.
I am glad you enjoyed this experience and share it with other users, We hope you come back soon.

Cordially

Reviewed 10 June 2012

As a Melia Vacation Club member, I've now stayed at four of their resorts, and this was by far the worst. Full disclosure: It's half the "points" of the other Melia resorts, so you may say I should have lived by the adage that you pay for what you get. That said, let me point out the following:
1) The staff was sullen and unfriendly; not actively hostile, but indifferent. I consider myself a decent tipper and I'm inclined to leave tips even at all inclusive resorts because I know that it means a lot to the workers and their families. I tossed a few dollars here and there, but the ONLY staff member that got a decent tip from me was one waiter (Alberto in case SMVC is reading) who went beyond the obligatory offer of an initial drink. He suggested instead of coffee we try a cappuccino. Seriously people...that's the highest level of service we received.
2) The food was edible and wont make you sick. That the best thing I can say about it. Even the "high end" restaurant (all Melias have at least one). I think I lost weight on this trip; first time ever on an all inclusive vacation.
3) The rooms were nice and clean. We stayed in the jacuzzi suite because we are part of SMVC. However, the jacuzzi faucet trickled at best. If you have this lined up for the near future, here's a tip: Turn it on before you go to dinner, it might be full when you get back. Maids did a decent job, but never restocked fridge (see Service above). Oh yea, one more thing...don't turn off the A/C or your floor will have 2" of water on it...not joking.
4) The bed (normally I would include this in a discussion of the rooms, but this deserves its own bullet. I think they actually stacked two box springs on top of one another and called the second a mattress. I will need a few weeks of massage therapy to undo the damage.
5) The pool/ocean, "resort grounds," were okay. Nice pool with a swim up bar. Beaches were okay. The water in front of the resort was murky; you wouldn't say this at check in but when you walk down to the next resort's beach (just past a concrete pier) you see just how clear and beautiful the water could be. Nothing else very memorable about the resort grounds, but it didn't provide the beautiful ambiance that you receive at other Melia resorts.
6) The atmosphere/people were pleasant. This is a raucous crowd; not a wild party crowd. A little older, and they were loud and ready to drink. Nothing wrong with that, but I will say that this is not a romantic couples vacation. Large group of friends, perfect!
In conclusion: If you're looking for a cheap vacation where you want to drink all day to the point that you don't notice the sullen bartender, you skip dinner anyway, and don't care that to sleep in your bed is like passing out on the floor...Melia Cozumel is the place for you!

4  Thank JGeary
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Good afternoon, Thank you for take a minutes of your time to share your experience with other users. I am quality control from the Hotel Melia Cozumel, but I am going to pass your comments about your experience with the MVC .

Best Regards

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I'll start with the check-in. We were greeted with, "Your name?" I would have expected something more along the lines of, "Welcome to Melia Cozumel! We're glad you're here!" The desk clerk shuffled papers hurriedly and gave us our room number, keys and pointed in the general direction of the room. This was also the first time in five all-inclusive vacations that we have not been asked if we're celebrating anything or if we would like to upgrade our room. Not a good welcome.

Second, general disappointment of the room. We had a garden view room which was a decent size. The furniture was very outdated, the bed was rock hard and there was no mini bar in the room! Not even a refrigerator! First time this has happened at an all inclusive! No mini bar, what the.....

Service at the restaurants...The first day service at the terrace a la carte for lunch was awful, no one came with menus so we left and went to the buffet. This was a late lunch day since our flight didn't get in until 2:00pm, by the time we got to the buffet most of the food was picked over, and again, none of the waiters offered us drinks. Fast forward a few days, service got better, still expect to get your own coffee since I think there are four waiters for the entire buffet area. Food selection for breakfast was decent. The omelet station was wonderful and the cook there was great (I forget her name). Dinners were hit or miss at the buffet but decent. Maximilan waited on us most nights and was the best waiter we had at the resort, very welcoming, very attentive. The Iguana grille for lunch also turned out to be ok, decent food, service got better, again, understaffed with one waiter for lunch. Service at the Cafe Paraiso/La Iguana for dinner was excellent, don't get the ribs off the Iguana menu, hard as a rock!

The beach....white sand as fine as silk! Very expansive and nice. There is a lot of underwater vegetation growing so the seaweed/grasses do wash up on shore. Great beach to walk on and get away from everything.

The pools, adult pool had no umbrellas! That would be my only complaint. At the main pool, there was no shortage of chairs, and lots of umbrellas.

Overall an acceptable place, could be better, but for the price we paid we can't expect a Sandals experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eric F
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Hi, thank you for share your experience with other users from Trip Advisor, I appreciate your comments, this way I can tak to out Front Desk manager to talk with all the staff and see if there is any situation here, Also I will give to Maximiliano your comments that he is very attentive, we are watching the posibilitys to put some umbrellas un the pool adults so I hope in a couple of months this could be clear.
Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

Sincerely