“Vacation was wonderful”

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 8 March 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Resort is not too spaced out, the beach is very nice. One negative was that the elevator quit and was not fixed until the next day. The food at the buffet was great, so many choices. We would stay again!

4  Thank Joni M

Reviewed 6 March 2013

In January my wife and I enjoyed a relaxing week at Club Melia. We elected the all inclusive option and were please with our decision. However of the three restuarants that were to be open for dinner, we never were able to dine at one of them. It was closed more often than it was open. We dined at Cafe Paraiso three times. The food and service were excellent. The other nights we ate at the buffet. The food was good but not great. We did enjoy the buffet breakfast every day. Lunches at the La Iguana snack bar we're very good with very good service.

Our studio on the third floor of the Tower overlooking the water met or exceeded our expectations. The view was fabulous. We enjoyed the hot tub on the balcony. The four poster bed was a nice decorating touch. The mattress was very comfortable. While we had little use for it, the kitchen area had granite counter tops and everything you would need to prepare meals in the unit.

The beach is a major plus for this resort. There were plenty of chairs for lounging. The water was warm with no Corel reef to impede swimming. However, I never saw a waiter on the beach to serve food or drinks. Other resorts offer that service.

If you want to snorkel there is an excellent lagoon a short walk south down the beach past a pier. This beach is in front of the next resort. If you are more adventurous, continue walking south until you reach a burned out resturant. You must walk through the porch of the resturant to reach a small lagoon where you can enter the water and swim back north along a large coral reef. I swam this stretch almost every day. I saw more fish and wildlife during these excursions than on the tour we took of the Columbia and Palancar reefs.

We really had fun on an all day jeep tour of the island. I highly recommend this tour.

One last comment. We had a hard time learning about the events or daily activities at the resort. We arrived on a Saturday but didn't find out until Tuesday that there was live entertainment in the resort. We enjoyed the shows Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdy nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Douglas P
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We liked it so much the first time, we took our kids the second visit. Went on a local ATV ride around the island, lots of snokeling & even had some scuba diving going on. Pool bar, good food served almost 'round the clock ... we had fun!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Lookin-out-4-ya
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My husband and I have travelled to Cozumel several times and this was the worst resort we have ever stayed at anywhere in the Carribbean. We went with a group of 15 people and this resort was chosen because it was affordable. I knew being less expensive, it wouldn't be quite as nice as some other's we'd been too, but I was unprepared for how bad it would be. The beach was beautiful, I'll say that for the hotel. My husband and I arrived 2 days earlier than everyone else and got the room requested, although we didn't get the king bed , no big deal. However, no one else got the room the requested or paid for. There were 7 couples and one single woman on the trip. She was told when she checked in that there was no room for her. I don't remember the manager's name, he was so rude to her and to me. I basically refused to allow him to turn her away, a single woman alone in a foreign country to go stay somewhere else. The only reason they found her a room was because I was a frequent user of TripAdvisor and was familiar with Vanessa, the Quality Manager who answers all the negative reviews. I asked for her and by some miracle, they found her a room. At least half of our party had to change rooms at some point in their stay. The food was horrible and there was basically no nightlife. The frontdesk staff was very rude, too busy to be bothered with you. The rest of the workers were awesome though and very polite and accomadating. Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't bother, you won't get what you request anyway.
11  Thank KarieRN70
MeliaCozumel, Quality Control at Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Good afternoon, Thank you for write your review, That day when we met us on Front Desk I talked with the Front Desk Manager, I am really sorry you can`t enjoy your stay with us, but thank you for recognizing the good attitude all the workers have, If you have more comments you have my e-mail so do not hesitate to contact me. Best Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I visited Melia Cozumel Feb 21-25, 2013 and could not be happier with our visit. Upon arrival at the resort, the bell staff and front desk were very helpful. After slight confusion about our room assignment, we really enjoyed the resort.

Beach/Pool: Melia has a BEAUTIFUL clean beach that is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, relaxing, snorkeling and kayaking. Do the snorkeling on the other side of the pier 100 yards to the south. Bring a piece of bread for fish food and you’ll see thousands of tropical fish. Make sure you go down early to the beach if you want a choice chair on the beach or at the pool. Most are taking by 7am. Note: Not necessary but highly recommend getting water shoes for the ocean because the ocean floor can be a bit rocky at times especially when snorkeling by the pier.

Restaurants/Bars: Breakfasts at the buffet were excellent, especially the made-to-order omelets. Lunches at the Iguana grill and buffet were ok to good and the dinners at Café Paraiso and the Iguana Steak house were excellent. If you want to eat at one of the specialty restaurants, you have to make reservations outside the buffet restaurant at 10am. Get a to-go coffee at the buffet and get in line by 940am and you’ll be fine. The entire wait staff at all the restaurants and bars were fantastic and friendly. We often left $1 or $2 tips at meals and at bars. Tips were never expected by the staff but were greatly appreciated. Bars were rarely crowded and we rarely had to wait more than 1-2 minutes to be waited on.

Rooms: We stayed in the M experience room on 10th floor. It was awesome! Great view, huge room, mini bar with soda, beer, water. The rooms were modern and clean. WiFi was spotty in the room but decent in the lobby.

Nightlife: Melia is a quieter resort- which we loved. After dinner you could hang out at the lobby piano bar, the Iguana beach bar, or enjoy the show at Salon Fantasia just off the lobby. The show is amateur but a lot of fun! Note: a few mosquitos come out at dusk- bring a little bug spray along. One of the best parts of our trip was sitting on our balcony looking at the stars over the ocean at night.

Guests: My wife and I are in our 30s and were probably some of the younger guests, but it was a great time. Everyone was friendly and courteous to each other.

Side trips: We went to downtown San Miguel when cruise ships were in port. The city center is very lively and very touristy but enjoyable for shopping. Taxi to downtown $7-$8. We ate one night at Casa Mission. Great restaurant!!! We definitely recommend Casa Mission if you’re looking for a meal out. Be sure to download the 20% off coupon on their web site before leaving home. We also went on a sunset cruise with Albatros Charters. Rita and Robert run a great and fun sunset cruise. Check out their web site.

Other points: Remember, English is their second language so be patient. Also, in Cozumel , as in ALL of Mexico, opening a restaurant (for example) at 11am really means 11:15am so again, be patient and plan accordingly.

Overall Melia was a fantastic and fun resort. Was everything perfect? No, but the staff made a constant effort to make sure you had a good experience. We would definitely recommend Melia to everyone. *Special thanks to Ms. Villalobos in quality assurance for all her help!*

Room Tip: M Experience rooms on 10th floor were awesome.
5  Thank J L

We are glad you enjoy your stay with us, It is good to know you have seen all the effort we make to you to have a memorable holiday, we hope you can come back in the near future, any comments I remain at your service. Best Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2013

The beach at this resort is beautiful and is the best feature and for me that is where it ended. I upgraded to the "Paradise Suite with balcony whirlpool" when I booked and it was a total disappointment. The room was very drab with really no decoration, bathroom extremely small with old fixtures. TV was old small CRT type.. The whirlpool was a fiberglass shell dropped in the patio with a few jets. NO real power to them. In addition the only time I did try to use it there was not enough hot water to fill it which seemed normal as the hotwater in the room was also less than adequate. The dining experience was average at best. At no time did I see any breakfast meat other than sliced hotdogs. Being by myself at dining I usually ended up getting my own coffee as I could sit there and be done with breakfast before anyone came to serve me. Dinner was very average. I had more photos to add but must be a limit. I did express my feelings via the company I booked this through but they did not seem to care much about my experience.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was the only one that I saw so not sure what other lodging is like at this res...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Mike N

Good afternoon, Thank you for your review, I apologize if you didn`t received an answer from us, if you wish you contact me directly : calidad@melia-cozumel.com.mx , Sincerely.-

Reviewed 2 March 2013

The Melia was a solid 4/5, and me, my wife and 4 kids had a very enjoyable week (February 18-25). This was our 5 trip to Mexico, and our first to Cozumel (The previous all around the Mayan Riviera).

Our Sunwing flight was delayed at Pearson on the way to Mexico for approx. 4 hours, but we caught this via the internet before we left and this actually allowed us more sleep before the airport (Sunwing attempted to make this up to us through free breakfast vouchers at the airport and this was a adequate compensation). Can't believe how many dummies don't check their flights before they head to the airport, as it would have been quite upsetting to sit at Pearson for over 7 hours!

A few highlights and lowlights:

- We flew direct to Cozumel from Toronto, and the resort was only 10 minutes from the airport which was nice (Surprisingly, we rarely heard any jet noise at the resort). The airport arrival experience was not significantly different from Cancum, the same long lines before customs, the same red/green light process, etc.

- Check in was very nice and hassle free being that our arrival was a bit later than expected.

- Through contacting the Quality Manager Vanessa Villalobos, we were able to be upgraded to the Ocean view tower (a must - The view is spectacular) as well as guarantee 2 a-la-carte reservations that avoided us having to line up before 10:00AM each day.

- The one minor down side of the upgrade was the one room (me and my wifes) was supposted to have a king bed, but both of our rooms had 2 doubles, not a huge deal as the Ocean view tower is probably the best place to be.

- The sunsets were amazing from the Ocean view rooms, as were the view of the large cruise ships passing by, very nice!

- The staff were very friendly for the most part, but the overall impression is that they were very over worked and understaffed (The beach bar should have easily had 2 bartenders throughout the day and you could see they were stressed at times).

- The lobby bar and beach bar were very well stocked and although over worked once again, served with a smile and they were very appreciative of the tips (NOTE: I think we were the only Canadians to heed a warning last year to take Pesos and not rely on the American doller. This is a mistake and we'll never do this again as you get ripped off in Pesos it seems and they appear to welcome American money more).

- Food at the Buffet was just okay for us, they could have easily made breakfasts more enjoyable by adding BACON, like most Canadians and Americans we 'dig on swine' and although the omelettes and potatoes were great, we wanted BACON (We were not alone in this, and you could see the disappointment at times). I should mention that there was Bacon for about an hour or so in the Buffet from about 7AM for the wacko early birds (I'm on vacation and have no desire to be up at the crack of dawn).

- Our last night in the buffet was actually very nice, they were serving hot pasta 'made to order' and it was delicious (They should offer this EVERY night as it would be very popular).

- We really liked the a-la-carte experiences, although there were only 2, the Cafe Paraiso and the La Iguana Grill were both nice dining experiences with decent wines (You have to pay extra for the wine, but it's worth it). I'm a wine lover/collector, so when I say 'decent', I mean tolerable by Mexico standards.

- As I mentioned earlier, Vanessa did take care of 2 a-la-carte bookings for us via email before we arrived, if you don't do this you have to wait in line before 10:00AM on the day you want your booking and this can very much be a pain (You should be able to do it once during your stay, and they should coordinate this much better).

- The snack grill by the beachside bar was excellent, and the BBQ chicken wings, fajitas, quasadillas, nachos, fries, etc. were all top notch.

- The rooms in the Ocean view tower were awesome, well laid out and very clean (The cleaning staff were very, very nice). No alarm clocks which was slight pain, more of a pain was the late wake-up call upon our departure.

- The chairs on the balcony are the rudimentary white plastic-type. Not a problem, but they they can 'dry' out in the heat/wind and sure enough mine broke while I was relaxing watching the cruise ships go by (No, I'm not ridiculously over weight) - I was unhurt, but it could have been worse and the staff was suitably apologetic.

- The beverages in the room bar fridges were bare minimal, enough water but minimal variety of soft drinks and only 2 beer (You had to ask to have them refilled as well, a bit annoying).

- Free in room safes were welcomed, and WIFI was free but as seems to be the case everywhere in Mexico, spotty and in and out at best from your room (Not too bad from the balcony).

- The resort is very small, which we like a lot but we were always a bit tense about getting 6 chairs together by the 'family' pool (It was never a problem as we 'reserved' early, but because of the minimal number of pool chairs it was on your mind).

- The YHI spa, where my wife and I had a 'romantic' couples massage was fantastic, and in comparison to past resorts the 90 minutes massages were very well priced and very well done (Sorry I fell asleep LOL!).

- The beach was awesome, and the snorkeling was great (As others have recommended, you take a short walk (5 min) south to the resort next door where there is a pier and the number of fish were amazing, very nice!

- The grounds were kept very nicely and overall the resort was always clean and well kept, the tennis courts, althougt a bit worn were in decent shape.

- We left the resort for 1 evening in San Miguel to see the shops and where the cruise ships dock, etc. Typical 'Playa del Carmen' type experience, and the kids loved Senor Frogs for a change of pace for dinner, deep fried goodness, etc. The town is only a 10 minute cab ride away. (approx. $15 for the large van for the 6 of us).

Overall, this was a nicer than expected experience as we essentially booked last minute and this place was available for our large family at a 'decent' price through our usual channel (Sears Travel). The Sunwing flight home is a bit of a hassle as you have to stop at the Belize airport in Belize city and our last day was essentially spent in the air - The Sunwing meal service on the plane is done very strangely, and they ran out of certain meals of course. Half the plane had technical audio difficulties with the in-flight movie and this was not received well at all.

As usual, I was completely embarrassed by my fellow Canadians with their big 'Tim's thermoses' to gorge on Cervezas but that is par for the course - Some @ss from Mississauga spent 4 hours at the pool yelling 'drunken nothings' from the top of his voice but once again, you'll get this everywhere you go and generally we don't care as it's something to make fun of (YOU know who YOU are!).

To conclude, we would recommend the Melia and Cozumel very much for very solid experience, wonderful vacation with the sun being very hot and beer nice and cold!

Sorry about the length of this, but I know we appreciate the detailed reviews and this is our first entry (Trying to pay it forward as the TA reviews have helped us immensely).

Cheers!

Room Tip: TRY to get Ocean View, seems to be the best!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family