“Honeymoon adventure”

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Buda, Texas
“Honeymoon adventure”
Reviewed 14 March 2009

My new bride and I booked the trip through Travelocity at the end of August 2008. We arrived in Cozumel on 3/2/2009 and, after renting a car, drove to the Melia Cozumel. We went to the front desk to see if by chance our Paradise Suite was ready. The desk clerk told us that it was probably being cleaned. My wife tried to confirm that it was the Paradise Suite that we were being booked. She told us that "she thought so", but we would have to come back at 3pm, normal check-in time. We came back, we were told our Paradise Suite was booked up, we would have to take another room for the night and see if one opens the next day. Remember, we booked in August. We tried to contact Travelocity, but cell service was non-existent. The calling card we bought at the desk for $10.00US lasted 4 minutes!! I had enough time to give the Travelocity agent a callback number and a very brief description of the problem. I never got a return call. We used the room given us for the night and got up early the next day to see the island while we waited for 12:30pm to come. The island is beautiful. I highly recommend the Tequila Antiqua tour in the cross-island highway. Very educational, entertaining, and samples are included. We returned to the Melia loaded for bear, if the Paradise Suite was not ready for us. Hilberto Silva, the General Manager, met us as we entered the lobby and said that our room was ready. We finally got the suite that we had booked. Mr. Silva also comp'ed two massages for the booking foul up. The Paradise Suite is a beachfront room with a private jacuzzi in the patio. The beach is just feet away after stepping off of the patio. We stayed 5 more nights and the stay was wonderful. The breakfast menu and lunch menus were terrific, well prepared and fresh. We were very happy with the food choices and variety. Supper was very good, but we felt that the breakfast and lunch were better. We highly recommend the La Paraiso. You have to make reservations, even though it is part of the all-inclusive. Excellent service and dinner, we liked it so much we ate there twice. You have to be at the front desk at 7am to make reservations. The staff throughout the trip were very attentive, whether they were tipped extra or not. We also very highly recommend the Lobster Cruise. Either book it with your room or you can go to the Olympus Tours office just off the lobby to reserve a couple of seats. It's a pirate ship adventure with a very plentiful Lobster dinner included. It was $80 a person, but after it was over, we were satisfied with the price. The hotel in general was nice, but we did feel that the appliances and some of the building features needed upgraded. We heard water hammer in the pipes on a regular basis and the refrigerator in our suite worked most of the time. This time of year is bad for grass on the beaches, but the staff raked the beaches every morning. overall, we had a great time at the Melia. In summary, a couple of hints, try to dodge the timeshare hawks, they are everywhere. If it is your first trip to Cozumel, you will be approached at the airport. If you just want to get a cab, you have to leave the airport and walk a couple of blocks to the cab stops. They have an agreement with the timeshare companies that they cannot pick up at the airport, they can drop but not pick up. Our hotel had a shuttle but you have to have 10 people before it leaves the airport. Lastly, it was advertised that you can use your phone in the room to call out. The front desk told us that the only two ways to call out on your room phone is with an open acct. with your credit card at the front desk or buy one of their calling cards. The cards are 50pesos or $5.00US. Get pesos, the exchange rate was @15:1 at the time of our trip. Be aware that if you call an 800 number, the card that they told me would run 12-24mins, actually ran 4 minutes. Pay in pesos as much as possible. I would like to say that overall, we were very happy with the Melia Cozumel for our honeymoon trip. It was our first all-inclusive trip and if you like to eat all you can stuff and drink all you can drink, that's the way to go.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mikey143

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Waterloo, ON
Reviewed 13 March 2009

About a day before we were set to leave on vacation. I ended up getting sick. I had a terrible time on the plane due to my illness and upon arriving to the Melia we were quickly checked in but had no king beds left they said they could move us in the morning. I went to bed just try and sleep of the illness. The AC didn't work too well in the room.

Next morning by 9:30 the front desk called and asked if they could send a bellboy by to pickup the luggage I asked if I could see a Jr. suite instead they said the upgrade would be $30/day they gave me a key and let us look. We weren't disappointed the room was in the tower the AC worked VERY well and the view was amazing. Totally worth the extra $$$.

We went down and told the front desk to move our bags to the new room. The couple we were with loved our room so much they upgraded as well.

We definitely spent most of our day at the swim up bar. Freddie is amazing. We miss you Freddy! we would go down with our tip money for the entire day and tip him up front and would receive excellent service but you didn't need to tip but the service was so good they deserve it!

One thing I did not care for were some of the guests from the southern US who thought the staff were their servants. There was a girl and her ignorant mother that threw their drinks at Freddie because they weren't to their satisfaction. GET A LIFE they're free if you don't like it get another one no need to make a scene.

We went to the restaurant every day got a burger or chip/salsa etc the waiter always seemed grumpy perhaps he hated getting us Ice cream from freezer.

We didn't eat at the resort every night we did want to see what the island is all about we hade a couple meals in town at Los Otadas/Plaza Leza definitely worth the trip.

The guy from the other couple did something very boneheaded he tried to pet the iguana ITS A WILD ANIMAL it turned around and bit him very quickly and very deeply. The hotel took good care of him however he should have probably gotten stitches he had a nice scar to show for it.

We were very happy with the Cozumel have have considered having our Wedding here we saw a wedding on the beach and it looked quite nice.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank teebee79
Texas/Arkansas
Reviewed 13 March 2009

We stayed here the week of November 10-16th and it was great!
As soon as you walk in the Melia and get your bracelet the time-share people will start. I just told them that I had already bought and paid for my vacation and did not plan on sitting through an hour and 45 minute film, to get a rental car, that I was not going to use.
~~Just go the front entrance and ask for a cab in less than 2 minutes one will be there to take you,(and it’s only 5 dollars each way!) beside after the driving I seen in town, no thank you! I’ll leave it up to the locals!
After I got a cocktail and the hubby got us checked in, the bellboy took our luggage and us to our room. He even hauled all of it up the stairs for us, super nice guy!
We didn’t have any problems with lizards in the rooms. But sometimes the floors were damp/moist as were our clothes. But that had to do with being right on the water. And I’m sure that if I have turned on the a/c, it would have dried up, but we didn’t because we wanted the “tropical paradise” that we had paid for.
We were on the second floor, beach view. And what a wonderful view it was! (next time I want the first floor so I can sit in the tub and look out at the ocean! or just open up my door and walk out onto the beach!))
We had A/C but slept with the balcony doors open every night. The cool breeze off the water was wonderful (as well as the sent of the ocean! No candle can do that!) We didn’t have a big bug problem. We just used two of my “hair clippys” to hold the sheer curtain closed.
We were brought coffee and pastries every morning. And we enjoyed them while watching an employee rake away the seaweed that came up on the beach the previous night or watching the news on the TV.
The vodka was a little weird tasting and was definitely NOT Smirnoff/ Goose/Belvedere but heck we were in Mexico and not the states.
After my first drink, anytime I walked up to the bar “Willian” was working,( the one on the beach) he would look up and ask “one or two” and depending on if I was ordering for just myself or Hubbs too, I would tell him! he was so fantastic!

The buffet was ok. Dinner buffets had “theme nights” think Chinese, American, and Mexican. Not the best but I found the breakfast was better than lunch or supper. The fruit was always fresh. I liked the “bubbly” and wine glasses by the fruit juice bar so the adults could have a mimosa if they wanted.
The pastries were very lackluster, but then again that is the way most Mexican pastries are. I mean I really can’t go to France and gripe about the quality of Tequila now can I.
I would suggest making a reservation at the little restaurant. But do it before 9ish in the morning. The food is better than the buffet, but of course it would/should be. Welcome cocktail (I thought it was a Shirley Temple) choice of red or white wine, appetizer, soup, salad, main entrée, dessert and coffee (but I never ordered all that food) the little outside buffet (more brunch~ish) was ok. Even though the hotdogs in my penne kinda threw me off! haha
If you want a more authentic lunch, I say head into town! We ate at the Plaza Leca and their guacamole and pico were to die for!
We never made it to any of the shows but we did see people practicing and it looked fun! The pools were nice. The one in the front by the lobby had a swim up bar (more adults) and the one in the back was more for the kiddos! What ever you do DONOT lose your beach towel. Its $50 bucks for a new one (expensive souvenir huh) but if yours gets dirty or you just want a new one, you can go trade it in, no hassles.
I loved walking around the grounds. The staff was always cleaning something and if you walk within a few feet they will look up, smile and say hello, super nice people.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kindra68
Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We stayed with group of 4 couples in Feb and found this place to be mediocre at best. The food was nothing exciting (except for the specialty restaurant but you were limited on # of times you could go there) . The rooms were of normal size but old, tattered spreads with scratchy towels , etc. My friends room had the sewer smell other reviews described. At my room, we spent the first afternoon fighting with the locks broken and finally after 4 trips to the front desk having an entire new door lock installed. Shortly after waiting for that our safe then broke and we had to wait another 11/2 hrs to have a new safe installed (oh and its held in the wall by two rusty screws by the way so not really "safe") .
It was promised all inclusive but the drinks were watered down --and we found out late in the week if you wanted premium liquor it was hidden under the bar and you had to ask for it specifically. The nuts/snacks at the main bar were also hidden under the bar and
only offered when you requested them. No one seemed to go out of their way to help you
or really care much for service --and the time share people were everywhere even at the towel place trying to hook you. We booked because it was close to town ---my advice is book one of the farther out nicer resorts and taxi or rent a car for town trips. I definately won't return there.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Illinois2thdoc
minnesota
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We stayed at the Melia March 1st thru the 5th. This was our first trip to Mexico and we were very pleased with our stay. We were pleasantly surprised at an upgrade to our room when we arrived and thoroughly enjoyed our jacuzzi and easy access to the beach! I would recommend to anyone considering staying at the Melia to book their room in the "little" building. The rooms were very nice with a beautiful view of the ocean with more of a secluded feel. We had purchased the all inclusive package and felt it was a great deal for the money. I wasn't real crazy about the food in the buffet (with the exception of Breakfast...that was terrific each day!) but we were always able to find something we liked so we didn't let it bother us too much. The snack bar down by the beach was AWESOME. Burgers, onion rings, nacho's, etc every day during lunch...YUM!
The beach was well kept and the seaweed cleared away every morning. The only thing I found disgusting about the beach was the terribly leathered brown woman who felt the need to remove her bathing suit top each and every day...YIKES! Oh and FYI-the sewer smell that others are so rudely compaining about...it's everywhere...not just the Melia. So don't let that bother you. I am amazed that some people find great joy in complaining about every little detail. I would definitely recommend the Melia to those who are looking for a relaxing and enjoyable time.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank SMBEDMT
Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2009

...if you value your mental and personal health! Our stay at the Melia was so abysmal I don't even know where to begin - the dirty towels? The stained sheets? The smell of sewage outside our room? The timeshare scammers lurking in the lobby harassing you at EVERY opportunity posing as staff to lure you in? Overall the hotel was seriously lacking in service, cleanliness, activities and manners. Staff were rude, unhelpful and unaccommodating, often unable to understand English and just walking away mid-sentence. When we called for more towels we never received any; the FEW they did provide were stained. The beach was horrible, the water was murky. If you are coming to Cozumel for the snorkeling you are better off staying at the south shore as there is nothing to see at this beach. The most unbearable part of the whole stay were the timeshare people who were relentless. At first they approach you as if staff of the Melia. Once we politely declined to attend their orientation we were continued to be cornered - we often tried to avoid the lobby area just to avoid their daily barrage! It became ridiculous. So, if you are like me and are not looking to be harassed, annoyed, ripped-off and have a general like for basic hygienics don't bother with the Melia.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank TorontoSerena
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We visit the Melia in Cozumel the week of 2-21-09 to 2-29-09 and loved it. Our first impression was that the place was nice but not as big and grandeur as we were use to. Well after a couple of days this place grew on us and it became home. We were pleasantly greeted and quickly received our room key cards. When we found our room we were happy to see that we received an ocean view instead of the garden view that we had booked. The room was located on the third floor, which was the top floor of our building. What a view of the most beautiful beach, palm trees and ocean we had from our wonderful balcony. The room was very nice with a large King size bed, nice tv and a well stocked mini fridge. Several sodas, beers and water. The bathroom had beautiful tile and a nice size counter and good lighting. The room could not have been cleaner and in better condition. The maid made up the room perfectly daily and had it well stocked with bottle water in both the bath and in the fridge. We did tip her daily $2.00 and received fresh fruit bowls, flowers in a little water glass and one day a cute towel elephant with flower petals. Her name was Dahlia and she recognized us as we passed her doing her rounds and was a very pleasant person.

The food was very good as it usually is with the Melia chain. We loved breakfast the most with eggs made to order, fresh juice and fruits and an abundance of other breakfast items. We only had lunch there a couple of times in the buffet area and it also was very nice with much to chose from. We also ate at the outside grill area. Our waiter, named Elmer could not have been a better worker and if you go you should look for him. He could not do enough for us and was just the sweetest older man. When my wife just wanted a cup of coffee late one afternoon we found the buffet was closed so we asked Elmer if we could get a cup of coffee and he litterly ran to another restaurant and brought one back for her. He always remembered us and went out of his way to serve us. We wanted to take him home with us if we could. We did have three dinners in the reservation restaurants. One time was at the one they call the steak house, located at that same outside grill area. It was nicely decorated, had table clothes, candles, nice plates, etc.... We ordered the T-Bone steaks after a little hesitation knowing the beef steaks are generally not good in Mexico. Well it was not good, lots of fat and very tough. The flavor was delicious but you could have just served an old shoe seasoned the same and you would not have known the difference. The other two nights we ate at the other one that I can not recall the name. It had a large round fish tank in the center and looked like a nice formal place. Well it was great. I ordered the same meal both times, the shrimp and scallops. Done perfectly and loaded with flavor and beautiful presentation. My wife had the stuffed chicken breast one night and it also was very good. The caprese salad was fantastic, in fact I loved it so much the first night that I asked our waitress if I could get another and she promptly brought me one. Our waitress was Naomi and what a young sweetheart she was, full of smiles and great service. A few nights later when we went back to eat there again she remembered us and even remembered that we were sitting at the same table and asked if I wanted two of the caprese salads again. Both nights we left her about a ten dollar tip for her great service and she deserved it. It was sad to see other American tourist get up and run out leaving nothing or just about nothing as soon as she left the room. This young lady waits on you for about an hour and a half and does a wonderful job the whole time. We waited until she was free and got up and thanked her for everything and said goodnight. You could tell the appreciation on her face that we took the time to thank her for her service, not the money we left on the table as she probably did not notice it yet.

The beach is just beautiful with plenty of beach chairs and large palopas for shade. There is also loads of palm trees too. The beach does get seaweed but the maintenance crew worked hard at cleaning it up. Would someone please get these guys a tractor to help them. All they use is pitch forks and a wheelbarrow. Well that does do the job quietly but I felt bad watching theses guys and felt like helping them.

The main pool with the swim up bar is not much to speak of. It was half in the shade most of the day and the water was a bit cool, cold says the wife. We did not spend much time there. Maybe the large group of loud fat people floating on all their floats made it not pleasant. They even brought a floating blow up bar!!!

The entertainment was good if the Mexicans performed it. One night they had Karaoke and what a nightmare it was watching the tourist try to perform "Wild Thing", "Baby got Back", etc..... I guess Tequila makes them think they can sing.

Overall review was that this place is just wonderful. The hotel next door, "The Cozumelina" is prettier looking and bigger but we met several different people staying there and they said the food was terrible and cold. The snorkeling was great in front of that place and it was only a couple hundred a feet down the beach. There is a cement pier between the two places and it was nice to take a walk out on and look at the fish and the scenery. The staff at the Melia could not be nicer and harder workers. The food was very good and hot. The rooms clean and comfortable and the grounds very well maintained. The only downfall was some of the tourist there. They were like school on Saturday, No Class! I don't understand how someone could visit a nice resort and not take the time to clean up a bit in the evening. Sleeveless T-shirts in the restaurant and lobby area in the evening, unshaven, just plain messy looking. Another rule of thumb should be; you're not at a Green Bay Packer game, don't wear Packer clothes and hats every day, you're not at a Harley biker event, don't wear Harley clothes every day. But yet the worst was the T-shirt that said "Southern Redneck piece of White Trash & proud of it" well he sure was.

Outside the resort note, get out and visit the town. Only a $7.00 taxi ride. Make sure you exchange your dollars into pesos. The stores, taxis and restaurants don't give you the full exchange rate. For a nice more formal dinner go to Guidos and dine in the back room. Explore the island. We rented a jeep for 3 days and had no problem. The cost was not bad at all. I was charged $50 per day plus $10 per day tax. Was able to park in front of the hotel without a problem or charge. We took the jeep into town for shopping and around the island. There a lots of great beach restaurants and bars to stop at as you circle the island. We brought towels from the hotel and laid out at different beaches. You can find $1.00 Coronas in town. Most stores have little fridges and will sell a beer to you.

Enjoy your visit and treat your Mexican hosts and residents nice and you will enjoy the vacation even more.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple