“Sunsets, Sea-life & Service!”

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Sans Souci, Australia
“Sunsets, Sea-life & Service!”
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Our trip to this resort was a first-time "A.I. Caribbean family vacation". It was highly recommended by our travel agent, who knew that we were looking for a resort that needed to meet our "criteria"... Safe Island... Beautiful Beach... Good Food... Excellent Service... Tropical Ambiance... and of course... Reasonable $$$. We were not disappointed. This active All-Inclusive resort overlooks the sparkling waters of the Caribbean from a beautiful shore made up of a long extension of powder white sand strewn with rustling palms and comfortable hammocks.
Check in took some time, as there were a lot of people that arrived with us... which was OK, as we just helped ourselves to refreshments at the Lobby Bar while we waited. We ended up with adjoining rooms in the Ocean Front Villas, with amazing views of the ocean through the many palm trees & palapas... we could go out from our patios right onto the beautiful beach! Each morning, with Room Service coffee, my son & I went out onto our favourite loungers to watch the surf, listen to the waves crashing and the hear various birds singing, while we waited for the others to join us for breakfast.
The Buffet food was good, not extraordinary, something for everyone though. Lavishly decorated, the buffet served breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks were available throughout the day. By far, the Mexican food was the best. The kids enjoyed the tacos & fajitas which were great, as well as the make-it-yourself "taco" soup. We really enjoyed "Café Paraiso", the a la carte Restaurant and Piano Bar with daily changing menu and a wide selection of wines from France, California and México. It was amazing to watch all the sea-life in the huge fish tanks. The ambiance here was very nice, low lighting & live music which made for a memorable meal. I'm sure it would be very romantic for couples here, without children. This was the only vacation spot we've been to that each of us, at one time or another, got a mild case of "Montezuma's Revenge".
The animation team really works hard to get guests to "join in" for some beach games... "Crazy Games" as one staff member named it! Not really our thing, but they stopped asking after awhile. The one thing we did do with the Animation Team was to walk down the coast to their sister resort, for some "major" snorkelling. This was one of the "highlights" of our trip! What an experience, swimming in the ocean, just off a pier, where you are surrounded by hundreds of brightly coloured fish! It felt as though we were in an aquarium! Amazing! Nightly entertainment was in their indoor air-conditioned "auditorium"... we found it really too bad that it wasn't outdoors, enjoying the wafting tropical breezes. But we watched broadway skits / shows, games, and although we never stayed for too long, there was also dancing and karaoke until late.
We were never accosted by vendors, there was only one man who came by, asked if we were interested in any of his "wares"... we talked to him, looked over his items, but told him we were going to be going into town later, to do some shopping. You know what? He was so glad that we didn't just ignore him and that we took the time to talk to him & treated him with respect... he gave our daughter a coral necklace for free!
Lastly, I have to mention the absolutely beautiful Mexican sunsets! They were truly spectacular! All in all, we had a wonderful family vacation... relaxing and fun...one that we will treasure forever.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled with family
14 Thank GalivantingGardener

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Iowa
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I and my 20 yr old daughter stayed at the Melia over spring break 3/14 to 3/21/09. Upon our arrival we were a bit skeptical due to the lack of people; even though the hotel was at full capacity there didn't seem to be that many around. And after having 3 prior trips to Cancun a "quiet" Saturday evening really wasn't what we were expecting! Our room was also clean yet nothing spectacular but had a bad odor coming from the air conditioning unit. So we kept it turned off when we were in the room and still remained comfortable. But after getting use to the more laid back atmosphere of this hotel we really enjoyed our time here! We were mainly looking for hot sun and white sands & we found it here! The beach was clean & the water was much calmer than that by Cancun. We had no concerns at all with getting in the water. Safe for all ages. Although if you're looking for someone to bring drinks to your chaise lounge you won't find it here. You must go to the bar yourself and wait in a short line. Even though, the hotel staff was awesome! Every one from the maids & bellboys to the restaurant servers were extremely nice and helpful. This hotel is great for young families and middle/late aged couples and even the occasional young teenager. The hotel had organized activities for anyone interested in participating & also provided free of charge many non-motorized water toys. The food was ok. There was plenty to choose from but not much to my liking. The downtown area was only 10 min by taxi. Could have been walkable however there were no sidewalks. There were numerous cruise ships that arrive on the downtown pier so when more people & a little partying is what you're after can certainly find it down there. The shopping there is the usual tourist stuff, bathingsuit shops, silver jewelry, etc. A few bars here and there along with the expected Senior Frogs and Carlos & Charlies hangouts. Even with all of this going on we continued to feel very safe in the downtown area. If you enjoy snorkling you need to try the Fury Catamaran! The crew was very professional and worked hard to see we had a good time. The jeep tour is also a nice way to begin your stay on the island. It's an entire day trip and a fast way to learn your way around. All in all it was a nice relaxing trip!

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank judy09
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We loved the Melia and Cozumel. Check in was quick and we were on our way to a wonderful week at the Melia. Our group had rooms in all of the categories and everyone was satisfied with what they had paid for. The Junior Suites in the tower were obviously the nicest rooms with the best views as they cost a little bit more.

We loved the size of the resort. We have stayed in many all-inclusives over the past 10 years and really enjoyed the size of this resort more than any of the others. We also like the beautiful, unobstructed oceanview.

Food was good. Many choices for all kinds of tastes. Drinks were good...bartenders and wait staff very accomodating. They are very receptive to your wishes.

Golf course (Cozumel Country Club) very well maintained. It is a good challenge...if your ball goes off course you will not be able to find it. There are many wild animals that wander the course (crocs., wild boar, iguanas, etc..). If you are a golfer the golf inclusive package is a great deal.

The pools were a bit smaller than we have had at other resorts but we are beach people and only get in the pool to have a few drinks at the pool bar. The pool was fine for the number of guests in which they were accomodating.

Beach is one of the nicest that we saw in Cozumel (we toured the island and checked many of the beaches out). The water was beautful shades of blue every day but one while we were there. The wind must have shifted on that day and the water was a little less clear but people were still in it. Not a problem at all.

Our group would definitely return if we go back to Cozumel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank luv2trvl16
Illinois
Reviewed 22 March 2009

After a recent trip the Melia in Cozumel, I have the following to offer. The breakfast buffet was very good with plenty of variety. The 'speciality' restraunt that we visited had good quality foods and very good service. The grounds people were always working to keep the place looking good and the cleaning staff also worked very hard. The noon and evening buffets left something to be desired with very little creativity and lack of variety. Everything started to tase the same after a day or two. Our travel agent suggested that there would be premium liquor as did the Apple brochure. We did not find the premium liquor until three days into the vacation as what little premium was available was kept behind the bar in a cabinet on an ask for basis. The situation was the same with the bar snacks. The warm snacks at the front bar were always cold when delivered from the kitchen. Rooms had a tired and used feeling to them. Our A/C worked, our key didn't. There appeared to be some sort of lock replacement program going on as we departed. Another couple with us also experienced key/lock problems. The staff at the front desk was either not very well trained or did't really care. The standard answer at the desk was wait until the Manager come in. This hotel wqas rated as a 5 red apple in the summer catalog and I personally see nothing that was done to give it the 5 gold apple rating that was listed in the winter catalog. The time share people are everywhere and are very annoying and pushy. They are part of the reason that the Melia is on my do not return list.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Plastic1
Maine
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We traveled to the Melia Cozumel from March 7-14th with our two children, ages 2.5 & 15 months. We booked on a guest pass with RCI. When we booked, we were told the hotel was completely renovated and there was a pool for small children. We were assured this would be a great fit for our family. Upon reading reviews here on Trip Advisor, we were a bit weary, but the positive reviews outnumbered the negative ones, and we kept our reservation.

When we arrived to the Melia, we were quickly greeted, and assisted with all of our luggage. We were given room #336, which has a view of the activity/kids pool and you can see the ocean from the balcony. We were very much disappointed with the room. It was clean, but very small and outdated. Definitely not "completely renovated". There were two double beds. No refrigerator. It was definitely not what we had in mind considering we were told the room was "new" and would be in the new area. The bathroom was clean, with a tub and shower. We went to the front desk to complain about our room. The manager was quite rude and told me if I had a problem I needed to call RCI myself. Of course, by that time, they were closed. I did call them the next day and they did nothing to help us. The manager did get me a fridge for our room. The beds were very, very uncomfortable, and being pregnant, it was a major downfall for me. They were rock hard, pretty much just like sleeping on the tile floor. They did get me a down feather bed the next night, but it really didn't help much. The sheets were also stained and very rough...yuck. I was pretty disgusted with the stained sheets but surely didn't let it ruin our vacation. Housekeeping was fairly good, we left a few bucks, and she would restock our fridge, but she didn't do anything special. I thought since we had two small kids, they would leave cookies or special things, but that didn't happen. I even asked for her to leave snacks and she didn't. I read reviews on here where their housekeepers did this, so I figured I'd try. There is room service, but they charge $10 each time. There are also no room darkening shades, and it got bright in our room by 6am each morning...not good with small kids.

The grounds of the hotel were very clean, and there were always people out there cleaning and maintaining the grounds. There is an adult pool, which has the "swim-up" bar, but no kids allowed. There is also an activities/kids pool, but unless your kids are 4+ or can swim by themselves, expect to get in with them (it's about 3' deep), and it is chilly. There is no real kids pool in my opinion, and for us, this was a HUGE downfall having such small children. The two pools are pretty small. There is no jacuzzi. The beach has pretty nice sand, and it is fairly large. The water can get murky, but overall, it was fine. If you want to snorkel, you just walk over to the hotel next door and there is great snorkeling. There is also a bar out near the beach. There is no drink or food service out at the beach, so if you are hungry or thirsty, you have to walk and get it yourself...which for us, wasn't a big deal, but it would have been nice.

The food was mediocre at best. They have a buffet, and the breakfast is pretty good. Omelets made to order and various other items. Dinners left a lot to be desired. Their Italian night in my opinion is the best. They have a great "pasta to order" bar with various sauces and veggies. Their pizza is pretty good, too. For lunch, there is an "outdoor" snack bar where they have items available all day (ex: chix fingers, onion rings, fries, fish fingers, salad, fruit) and then they have order items like quesadillas, pizza, nachos, hamburgers, etc. It is good, but it gets old after a few days. There are also two restaurants, you MUST make a reservation that morning in order to get in. It's not easy, my husband had to be down there by 7-8am to get a good seating that wasn't at 9pm. The food at "La Iguana" was pretty good. I got the chicken, and it was great. My husband got the Tuna steak and he enjoyed his as well. Another disappointment was there wasn't really any "children's menu". Thankfully our children eat adult food, but there were times I wished I could get them something more "kid friendly" . They have ice cream, but it isn't advertised, you have to specifically ask for it, which I think is nuts. I also wish there was more of a "snack" bar - like cookies, etc.

The service overall was fair. The buffet service left a lot to be desired. There seemed to be a "lack" of workers, so you were always trying to find someone to clean your dirty table, or take away your dirty plates. They were very pleasant, but at times, it was annoying. "Jose" at the snack bar/lunch buffet was very good. He ran his butt off each and every day. I don't understand why they only have ONE man working lunch outside. The service is slow, but you're on vacation. The staff is nice, always greeting you when you walk past them.

The resort is pretty quiet. Not many kids, and a good mix of adults. There isn't a whole lot going on, but what they have seems fairly good. It is a good place if you just want to come and relax. There are "timeshare" people who hang out in the lobby lurking for you...but we just steered clear of the lobby and no one bothered us.

Overall, we thought the resort was just OK. Not horrible, but we've definitely stayed at better before. We definitely won't return again, but depending on what you are looking for, you may be pleased. If you have small children, I would definitely go elsewhere, there are other resorts around that are better equipped to "entertain" small children throughout the day. The rooms were a DEFINITE disappointment, and even though you are not in your room much, it is nice to have somewhere clean to return to, and not feel skeeved out when you crawl into bed at night. There are rooms on the water that have a jacuzzi outside, that sounds nice, but ours definitely was not nice.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank chaquita213
Buda, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2009

My new bride and I booked the trip through Travelocity at the end of August 2008. We arrived in Cozumel on 3/2/2009 and, after renting a car, drove to the Melia Cozumel. We went to the front desk to see if by chance our Paradise Suite was ready. The desk clerk told us that it was probably being cleaned. My wife tried to confirm that it was the Paradise Suite that we were being booked. She told us that "she thought so", but we would have to come back at 3pm, normal check-in time. We came back, we were told our Paradise Suite was booked up, we would have to take another room for the night and see if one opens the next day. Remember, we booked in August. We tried to contact Travelocity, but cell service was non-existent. The calling card we bought at the desk for $10.00US lasted 4 minutes!! I had enough time to give the Travelocity agent a callback number and a very brief description of the problem. I never got a return call. We used the room given us for the night and got up early the next day to see the island while we waited for 12:30pm to come. The island is beautiful. I highly recommend the Tequila Antiqua tour in the cross-island highway. Very educational, entertaining, and samples are included. We returned to the Melia loaded for bear, if the Paradise Suite was not ready for us. Hilberto Silva, the General Manager, met us as we entered the lobby and said that our room was ready. We finally got the suite that we had booked. Mr. Silva also comp'ed two massages for the booking foul up. The Paradise Suite is a beachfront room with a private jacuzzi in the patio. The beach is just feet away after stepping off of the patio. We stayed 5 more nights and the stay was wonderful. The breakfast menu and lunch menus were terrific, well prepared and fresh. We were very happy with the food choices and variety. Supper was very good, but we felt that the breakfast and lunch were better. We highly recommend the La Paraiso. You have to make reservations, even though it is part of the all-inclusive. Excellent service and dinner, we liked it so much we ate there twice. You have to be at the front desk at 7am to make reservations. The staff throughout the trip were very attentive, whether they were tipped extra or not. We also very highly recommend the Lobster Cruise. Either book it with your room or you can go to the Olympus Tours office just off the lobby to reserve a couple of seats. It's a pirate ship adventure with a very plentiful Lobster dinner included. It was $80 a person, but after it was over, we were satisfied with the price. The hotel in general was nice, but we did feel that the appliances and some of the building features needed upgraded. We heard water hammer in the pipes on a regular basis and the refrigerator in our suite worked most of the time. This time of year is bad for grass on the beaches, but the staff raked the beaches every morning. overall, we had a great time at the Melia. In summary, a couple of hints, try to dodge the timeshare hawks, they are everywhere. If it is your first trip to Cozumel, you will be approached at the airport. If you just want to get a cab, you have to leave the airport and walk a couple of blocks to the cab stops. They have an agreement with the timeshare companies that they cannot pick up at the airport, they can drop but not pick up. Our hotel had a shuttle but you have to have 10 people before it leaves the airport. Lastly, it was advertised that you can use your phone in the room to call out. The front desk told us that the only two ways to call out on your room phone is with an open acct. with your credit card at the front desk or buy one of their calling cards. The cards are 50pesos or $5.00US. Get pesos, the exchange rate was @15:1 at the time of our trip. Be aware that if you call an 800 number, the card that they told me would run 12-24mins, actually ran 4 minutes. Pay in pesos as much as possible. I would like to say that overall, we were very happy with the Melia Cozumel for our honeymoon trip. It was our first all-inclusive trip and if you like to eat all you can stuff and drink all you can drink, that's the way to go.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mikey143
Waterloo, ON
Reviewed 13 March 2009

About a day before we were set to leave on vacation. I ended up getting sick. I had a terrible time on the plane due to my illness and upon arriving to the Melia we were quickly checked in but had no king beds left they said they could move us in the morning. I went to bed just try and sleep of the illness. The AC didn't work too well in the room.

Next morning by 9:30 the front desk called and asked if they could send a bellboy by to pickup the luggage I asked if I could see a Jr. suite instead they said the upgrade would be $30/day they gave me a key and let us look. We weren't disappointed the room was in the tower the AC worked VERY well and the view was amazing. Totally worth the extra $$$.

We went down and told the front desk to move our bags to the new room. The couple we were with loved our room so much they upgraded as well.

We definitely spent most of our day at the swim up bar. Freddie is amazing. We miss you Freddy! we would go down with our tip money for the entire day and tip him up front and would receive excellent service but you didn't need to tip but the service was so good they deserve it!

One thing I did not care for were some of the guests from the southern US who thought the staff were their servants. There was a girl and her ignorant mother that threw their drinks at Freddie because they weren't to their satisfaction. GET A LIFE they're free if you don't like it get another one no need to make a scene.

We went to the restaurant every day got a burger or chip/salsa etc the waiter always seemed grumpy perhaps he hated getting us Ice cream from freezer.

We didn't eat at the resort every night we did want to see what the island is all about we hade a couple meals in town at Los Otadas/Plaza Leza definitely worth the trip.

The guy from the other couple did something very boneheaded he tried to pet the iguana ITS A WILD ANIMAL it turned around and bit him very quickly and very deeply. The hotel took good care of him however he should have probably gotten stitches he had a nice scar to show for it.

We were very happy with the Cozumel have have considered having our Wedding here we saw a wedding on the beach and it looked quite nice.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple