“I returned last week and the hotel was closed”
Review of Hotel Agave Azul

Hotel Agave Azul
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
San Antonio
“I returned last week and the hotel was closed”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

See my previous review from 2010. I was back in Cozumel last week and decided to spend a night in town at Palma Dorada which I always enjoy. It is locked up and not attended and has no indication that it will open any time soon. If you are looking to stay here make sure you check to see if has reopened.
I am so sorry to see this hotel close it was a great location at a very reasonable price but you have many other options in Cozumel.

Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank fishpicturesbybob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Valladolid, Mexico
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I don't always look for the cheapest hotel or restaurant.... I look for the best value. And Palma Dorada hotel is just that.

Our room came with:
-Great location (a block and a half from the ferry pier)
-A clean, modest room
-Nice water pressure
-Hot water
-A.C. that worked and wasn't noisy
-Clean sheets and towels
-Friendly staff
-Secure front gate (locked after 9pm)
-Balcony for hanging wet clothes or smoking a cigarette (with no view)
-Comfy bed (I prefer a firmer mattress)
-A secure place to store luggage after check-out

What I did: stayed at Palma Dorada, then paid for a day pass at a resort just down the road. :) All for under 50 dollars!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank AndieLynn
San Antonio
Reviewed 26 July 2008

You get what you pay for in this hotel. I have stayed in this hotel for many years and will continue to return. It is a small hotel with a few rooms on the ground floor that have an A/C bedroom and a front room and kitchen with ceiling fan. The rooms upstairs do not have the front room and kitchen.
The rooms are clean and made up daily.
The hotel is downtown and off of a side street less than a block to the waterfront.
The shower is roomy and I can wash my gear and hang it up to dry after every diving day.
The current website says they have a safe in the rooms but it is a small loose metal box.
There is always someone up front making sure that the folks coming in belong in the hotel and I have always found this hotel to be secure.
If you are looking for a lot of comfort go somewhere else. This hotel gives you a clean place to stay and an acceptable bed.
I recommend the hotel and can afford to stay at any hotel on the island. I use the room to sleep and clean my dive gear the rest of the time I am out and about.
Bob

• Liked — Cheap and Clean
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank fishpicturesbybob
denver
Reviewed 7 September 2007

The room was nice enough for the price. The hotel has a great location, walking distance to the club zone; the nightclubs are at a walking distance about 5 min and very close to the shopping area. New look in the hotel…..The room has an AC, TV, sink, table and closets. It also has a nice and friendly staff, about the breakfast is was enough for us, coffee, pastries, cereal and milk, nothing fancy but enough. The manager was very helpful with us, he knows the good places…contact hem

• Liked — great location!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank robphildenver
Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2007

I must start out by saying that we use Hotwire all the time and have never been disappointed but this time we ran out of luck. We have always felt that we have paid a 2 star price for 4 star hotel but this hotel is rated way to high by hotwire standards. Check their key for ratings and by the pics you can tell this hotel does not even come close to their 2 star properties listed.This hotel is ok but for the price, we stayed with our 14 year old son who the hotel charged extra for, we could have spent $10.00 more and had a really nice hotel facing the ocean and cruise ships with two seperate room and bathrobes!

The rooms are very small, and yes no one spends a lot of time in their rooms I realize but we could not get the closet door open without moving the bed.

As for the breakfast, there is only coffee, nothing for kids or non coffee drinkers and out of 7 nights we had the breakfast only twice. Three morings there was no breakfast, I think because of Easter, and two morning the little ants covered the sweetrolls. We had the little ants in our room too which again I realize comes with the heat but we have stayed in hotels in Mexico before and had no problems.

The building is old and ugly looking from the outside but the lobby is kind of cute. Staff are friendly but you better know spanish as they are unable to help you with most questions as their English is very limited. WARNING Do not get staff to book taxi for you as it is twice as much money compared to you grabbing one off the street. A call in charge and something else they told us.

We checked out the place next door and they were cheaper and just as comparable. I am showing pictures of each.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Priced to high for a family, ok for singles maybe but the per person price adds up.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Doxiegal

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Kansas
Reviewed 26 February 2007

I stayed at the Palma Dorada just last weekend.

I echo the previous reviewer's comments about great location and friendly staff, but this hotel just meets my minimum standards.

For someone wanting an inexpensive hotel close to the downtown action, this hotel is just the place. But travelers unused to discount travel may be taken aback when they see how stark the rooms actually are.

Be sure to upgrade to a room with air conditioning. There is a karaoke bar next door to the hotel, and without the white noise from the AC, you may have a sleepless night.

I'm likely to stay at the Palma Doada again.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — facilites and condition
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank lighthouselovertoo
nevada
Reviewed 31 January 2007

I must say, my girlfriend and I were pleasantly surprised by the Palma Dorada. Julio Padilla and his staff were great, and I think we lucked out. It just seems like the Palma is on one of the best streets in Cozumel. The rooms are spartan, but clean and comfortable. If you want to sit around your room, watch TV all day and order room service, then this may not be your hotel. But if you want to head to the dive shops, explore the square, or eat at some of the best little taquerias in town, then you've come to the right place. Want to see more? Heck, ask Julio to arrange for a scooter to be delivered to the hotel for a resonable price, (and none of the haggling to bother with!). Or just hit the farmers market a few blocks up, and bring your lunch back to the Palma veranda and munch as you watch the street life go by. But don't get the wrong idea, it was also a very quiet property, and we always felt secure at night. Bonus: It's within easy walking from the Ferry terminal. We stayed 9 nights in Cozumel/Akumal, and slept in some pretty fancy places. The Palma was not fancy, but we had the best time there!

• Stayed January 2007