US$212
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel B Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$137
US$373
US$291
  • Breakfast included
Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$129
Cancelon
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
US$564
US$495
All reviewsla perlitarental carclose to the airportreal cozumelboutique hoteltaco standroom hotelgarlic shrimpking roomhome away from homelobster dinnerwonderful staysmall poolthe entire stafffishjoliedan
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This place is an incredible hotel. Dan is awesome. The hotel really pays attention to details and is the perfect place to stay. When we come back to Cozumel I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else! The food here is great also. This is the perfect hotel and there is a reason it is #1 on tripadvisor even over all the super expensive hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Mauraholcomb
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I've taken awhile to get to this review... not because it wasn't important but because I wanted to give Casita de Maya the review it deserves.

We stayed for 2 nights at Casita de Maya, after spending 4 nights at one of the 'all-inclusive' resorts on another part of the island. While that first 4 nights was enjoyable I can say without hesitation it was impersonal and commercial by comparison. From the moment we arrived at Casita de Maya we were treated like family. When we pulled up in the taxi both Dan and Daniel were sitting out front with 2 adorable and friendly small dogs waiting to greet us. Even the dogs acted as though they had been missing us for years and were happy we arrived.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The architecture, the colors, the decorative touches... all spot on, working in harmony to provide a sense of mellowness and comfort. Gorgeous plants set off by hardwood louvered doors and the mix of tropical colors made me feel like I was in a Starburst candy wrapper. (that's a good thing). Small spaces made expansive by their openness and layout. Cozy and comfortable. Our room had every creature comfort you could want. Other reviews have listed the room's appointments, as do the photos, so I won't repeat that but I will attest that it was superior in every way to the all-inclusive we stayed at previously.

Dan was always available to help, or simply converse, and was very knowledgeable about the island. We're pretty independent and self-sufficient travelers - from a planning perspective - but Dan provided great advice on what to do, where to go, etc. and we happily took it. He was also quite open and honest about the challenges of running a boutique hotel on Cozumel. Interesting stuff, to be sure.

What can I say about Daniel... the best. He was so authentic and kind. We wanted to kidnap him and bring him home to Minnesota with us. He got real joy out of making us meals. He obviously loves to cook... and to spoil. Breakfast was really nice but he made us an amazing seafood dinner one night also and it was marvelous. We ate it by candlelight and it was one of our trip highlights.

The hotel couldn't be more convenient if you are flying in or out of Cozumel... literally a 5 minute walk into the terminal from the hotel. It's located in a neighborhood of island residents and simply put, that's not real 'touristy'. No problem for me but not everyone's cup of tea. We walked to a restaurant 6 or 7 blocks away (La Perlita) and lots of people smiled, waved and spoke to us during our walk. If you are looking to walk out of your room and onto the beach, Casita de Maya would not be the obvious choice BUT taxis are cheap and plentiful and I would encourage you to think outside the box on this as a deciding factor and give Dan and Daniel a try.

Some examples of the 'above and beyond' service we experienced during our too-short stay at Casita de Maya:

We wanted to rent a car and while there is a car rental place (Blueway Car Rental) right next door to Casita de Maya, it wasn't open. Dan called someone and they came right over and opened up so we could rent a car. The car rental was discounted too, since we were staying at Casita de Maya. When we left early the next morning, at 8 AM, the rental place wasn't open. Daniel told us to leave him the key and the paperwork and he would turn it in for us after we left. Wow.

We planned to go snorkeling at Punta Sur, the Money Bar and a few other spots - using our rental car - and asked Daniel if he had a suggestion for a place to rent snorkeling equipment for the day. We had been renting daily ($10 a day) where we stayed before Casita de Maya but turned that gear in when we left. Daniel did more than give us advice... he produced two very nice sets of snorkeling gear. In fact, the fins were very high quality which was fortunate as Punta Sur was extremely rough that day and those fins probably saved our lives (slight exaggeration for literary effect - but it was "black flag" rough). In another example of superior customer service, he inquired if we had towels (we didn't) and produced a pair of beach towels for us... even taking the time to dig out a pair of matching striped towels so we could be dry AND stylish.

I have traveled extensively, all over the world, since I was 20 (30+ years) and can't remember such willingness to care for customers. Frankly, it's difficult to use the word 'customer' when referring to Casita de Maya because we felt that they took care of us like we were "family". In fact, I might not have been as accommodating to my own family.

Bottom line, whatever we needed, they were happy to provide. Really, actually HAPPY to provide. Dan and Daniel are so good at this they even anticipated many of our needs before we did.

We generally don't return to places we have been... still so much of the world to see and experience... but our 2 days here have made us rethink that. If we do go back to Cozumel, we pray these gentlemen are still doing their thing at Casita de Maya because we will stay nowhere else on Cozumel now.

... lastly, if I used the name of the hotel - Casita de Maya - enough to be annoying, I apologize. I simply LOVE the name and it really fits the attitude of this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms - almost 5 - and they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AlejandroMadera
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This place is fantastic! We stayed here our last night in Cozumel after a week of diving (the dive hotel wanted full fare for one night despite the fact we wouldn't be diving), so I researched this place. What a wonderful place to stay. Daniel makes the time spent here worth every minute. He is a terrific cook, great bartender, and makes you feel like family. The owner, Dan, was there when we arrived and was also extremely friendly and welcoming. We were a little early for check in, but neither batted an eye at the time and ushered us in to our beautiful room. Daniel made sure we had exactly what we wanted for each meal, and he makes the most delicious fresh "hot sauce" (which was most similar to pico de gallo and a true treat!). The table/bar area was relaxing and cool and the pool with waterfall was the icing on the cake. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay in Cozumel.

Room Tip: The four rooms were ALL beautiful, but the king at the end by the pool is terrific!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank firegirl08
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This little boutique hotel is a true gem. Even though we stayed here last year in Nov. 2012, I still think of this place when I daydream about going on another vacation. Daniel, the caretaker, and Dan, the owner, are some of the nicest people I've ever met. We were celebrating our first anniversary and Daniel helped my guy arrange a special breakfast, flowers, and a cake to surprise me. Daniel always went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to ensure we had everything we needed, from directions to snorkeling gear. Even on mornings when we were planning to leave early, (like 6am), he had our breakfast ready. He is quite a chef and prepared something different for each of our breakfasts (we stayed a week!). We stayed in the Wind Room (Deluxe Queen), which was spacious and had everything we needed (fridge, desk, microwave, tv, dvd player, ac). The lady who cleaned our room daily would arrange a different animal figure on the bed made out of towels. Made us look forward to returning to the room to see what the new animal of the day was. If we have the good fortune of returning to Cozumel in the future, we would definitely choose Casita de Maya over a resort or any other hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jhyoung
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I am a little late writing this but better late than never. Having Dan (the owner), Daniel (the chef), and Daniel (the tourist) together in the evenings was a blast. We are from Texas and I have a very limited broken vocabulary when it comes to spanish. But I am here to say I enjoyed every conversation I had while staying here. His maintence/construction crew even allowed me the opportunity to visit with them one evening when my wife was ready for bed a little earlier than I was. Dan walked me to the street taco stand a couple blocks away at 11 oclock at night after I had enjoyed a few drinks and got hungry! These guys live up to every positive review you will read on here. From being knowledgable, and accomodating, to just simply friendly and welcoming. My wife and I have every intention of bringing our kids back next year and cant wait to see the guys again.

Thanks for everything guys! We will see you soon
Daniel and Tori