“Their motto "Welcome to paradise"”
Review of Casita de Maya

Casita de Maya
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Alamo, Texas
“Their motto "Welcome to paradise"”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

There is so much to say! From May 4th thru May 16th Casita de Maya was my home. I was travelling alone for the first few days and my family was concerned. They learned when they arrived that their concern was unwarranted.
I arrived about noon. As I walked into the courtyard I was greeted by Daniel who scolded me for not calling him for help in pulling my luggage from the airport. I had not considered such service a possibility. Daniel was warm and welcoming and said my room was ready. He made me a great margarita and said to sit & relax. I did just that as he had my luggage taken to my room.
When he returned, he handed me a lanyard with two keys which I placed around my neck. I never misplaced or had to look for keys during my entire visit. That was a first.

Casita de Maya is located on a quiet street which is bordered on the other side by a cement wall.
There was very little traffic. All of the rooms except the upstairs "KING" room are situated along an open courtyard which is appointed with a pool, well maintained foliage, a rattan seating area next to the bar and many tables for either dining, playing games or conversing. Very relaxing with a great breeze.

Daniel and his chef son and family are excellent cooks. He has a menu you can order from and you give him your order for the current or next day and tell him what time. There are no set eating times. The lobster and shrimp are fantastic along with the guacamole and pico de gallo.
Also the vegetables are cooked to perfection. Lobster, shrimp, baked potato & vegetables were
my choice more than once. The lobster was perfect, not dry or rubbery as I have sometimes had in your better seafood restaurants in the states.

Before leaving in the evening, Daniel prepares the coffee pot in the courtyard for the next morning. You just "hit the red button" when you get up. Gotta love it!

The rooms are a good size with plenty of storage for sports equipment. The A.C. is mounted close to the ceiling, very quiet and remote controlled. There is also a frige, microwave, iron, ironing board, clock, hair dryer and a dispenser full of body wash, shampoo and conditioner mounted on the wall of the shower. In the courtyard, there are shelves of movies in both English and Spanish and an array of board games and cards for their guests enjoyment.

Dan was such a host. Always willing to provide information and suggestions to help you customize your trip. When we asked about scuba, he recommended we talk to Gary, his long time friend, at Blue Wave. Dan called Gary, we set an appointment for that afternoon and went on a scuba dive the next morning. Because we were inexperienced divers, Gary set us up for the first dive with Chaki as our divemaster. She was absolutely wonderful with all four of us. My son went on a 2 tank dive with her 2 days later.

When we decided to rent a car, Dan put us in touch with Mario at Blueway car rental next door.
Mario was attentive to our needs and the rental was smooth and without surprises. Mario got our car switched when we decided we needed an automatic instead of a straight shift.

We decided to try the fish foot spa. Again, Dan had a friend in the business close to where we would be snorkeling that day so it was an easy deal. I think Dan knows just about everyone on the Island and the benefit of his experience was such a big help in our planning. Dan is a busy man but never to busy to help with a suggestion or directions and guidance.

In addition to Dan, Daniel and Mario, there was Jolie who takes care of the rooms always there to ask if you need anything. And wonderful Elvis who shows up to work in the afternoons on his scooter and is sometimes available for an occasional errand or tour.

Before my daughter arrived, she asked me if Casita de Maya met my expectations. I laughed and told her it surpassed my expectations...I joked that I thought if I asked for the moon, someone at Casita would try to provide it. I took comfort in feeling that regardless of where I was on Cozumel or what I was doing, I had friends & advocates in "Paradise".

I can't thank ALL of them enough for their kindness, consideration & patience. I hope to see all again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms here are great, the biggest one being upstairs where there is another bar and sunde...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mazie2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
kentucky
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We walked from the airport to the Casita. Daniel greeted us and our 2nd floor room was ready on arrival. We enjoyed the patio above the pool for wifi (poor reception in the room). What is not to like about Daniel? He treated us like family and guests. We chose La Perlita for dinner--nice stroll in the local neighborhood. We took a taxi to Mega Store for some wine and got back just in time for the rain. I never got to use their pool but it was fine for a little foot dangling. The rooms are well-tended and my favorite lazy [useless] cat was there for me to pet on demand. We could hang out in the courtyard or up on the patio. Watch those steps to the 2nd floor--just a bit tricky at the top. Beware that if it rains, the tile up there could be very dangerous. Just enjoy the atmosphere and definitely get one of Daniel's margaritas--WOOHOO!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

In short, yes it can! "Island Dan" has brought Casita de Maya to a new level, both literally and figuratively.

A new Suite has been added at the hotel that adorns the second level. This room is just outstanding, not to mention the best bargain on the Island. The room, which I affectionetly call the "Ritz" may be Dan's crowning achievement. In addition, a bar and lounging area has also been added to the second level, and there is a rumor that a hottub may show up in the future. The second level addition is all about romance, fun and privacy if you desire. Now add Daniel's mastery in the kitchen, with Casita's new menu topped with Daniel's special Marguritas, plus Jolees's special and maticulous touch, and the best just got better.

A few years back CNN named Casita de Maya one of the top romantic getaways in the world, well they need to return to give the Hotel its just do, and name it, "The Best Romantic Getaway in the World" for it truley is.

Lastly, read the other reviews and you will see the affection that the guests have for Dan and the staff. This was my ninth stay in five years and I can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Try the new Suite on the second floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Dan (Canadian) and Daniel (local chef) are fantastic hosts of this small B&B. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, safe, and with all the insider information to make the most of your trip.

Everything is excellent in terms of the room - big, clean, comfy bed, strong internet & AC, unlimited water, modern bathroom, clean pool. The breakfast is wonderful. The common spaces are a bit cluttered and host pets... Probably just like your house. The staff are paid very well it seems, really treated like family. You can feel good supporting local, hard working families rather than a foreign owned giant travel corporation.

The key drawback for me is the location. Yes, conveniently by the airport and out of the tourist areas or the main town -- but a car or taxi is required to get around, really nothing in terms of beaches or restaurants is in convenient walking distance. Especially given the price relative to other small hotels (on the beach or closer to town), it's a little to far/much for me.

Overall, an excellent choice if you prefer a B&B with excellent service, no hassles, and a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Stay in the back or top floor for more privacy!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank citymusiclover
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Our first stop in Mexico, a perfect place to unwind.
Located near the airport it is easily reachable by foot so don't waste your money on a taxi!
The staff is friendly and helpful and love to chat and joke with you.
The rooms are spacious, neatly decorated, and clean.
We only ate breakfast there but enjoyed it quite a bit.
They have a deal with the car rental right next door which is very convenient as you can walk out of the hotel and sit in a vehicle within 5 - 10 minutes.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Pontuz
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Thanks Dan and Daniel for providing my boyfriend and I an incredicly relaxing and supportive trip to Cozumel. We couldn't have done it without your advice on where to go and how to get there. Also, Daniel's breakfasts and cocktails were amazing! The place is so peaceful and everyone that stays there appreciates Casita as much as we did which made it such a great experience. The nightly dips in the pool and the clean and organized rooms made it that much more special. We will definitely be back some day!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ksaphir27
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked this hotel based on the previous reviews. They were spot-on! The folks who "care" for this place don't just "work there," they do their individual best every day. Eight days flew by. If you want genuine friendly, authentically laid back, with a sense of humor, a lump of understanding, and consistently helpful . . . this is the place. If you're a party animal....go book an all-inclusive, we'll all be happier.
We booked the NEW room, and thoroughly enjoyed it, the folks, the dog and cat, the views, the advice. We sincerely appreciated the tips and advice from Dan, from Daniel, and from Mario next door at Blueway Car Rental. We loaded up in a little rental car, took the Map from our balcony and set off for adventures EVERY day. And every day when we returned, it felt like home. Our balcony was amazing, the coffee terrific, beer cold. The room was kept spotless because Jollie is an angel on earth. . . clean, folded laundry waiting on the bed. wow!
I rated 4 stars because there were no bathtubs/hot tub. I get cold easily, and really like a hot bath...every night.
Don't forget to visit Playa Azul! And yes, we walked to the hotel from the Airport...with our luggage-piece of cake!

Room Tip: It's close to the airport....but we're not there during the day, and there are no night flig...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple