“Absolutely Adorable”
Review of Casita de Maya

Casita de Maya
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place was everything we thought it would be and more. Dan and Daniel were so welcoming and great, they really made the stay enjoyable and relaxing. Jolie kept the room tidy and picked up on a daily basis, while Daniel greeted us with breakfast and coffee when we awoke and margaritas and snacks after our dive. He is wonderful, his lobster and steak dinner is out of this world. Not only is his food incredible, his service and graciousness is not to be lacking. He teaches you as much Spanish as he can, and is there to make sure you've had a good day and ask all about it. Dan even chatted with us an evening, and showed us a few of the local places to go.

This is definitely a place that I would want to visit again, a much needed relaxing and care free weekend away was in order and I got just that. Thank you to you all !!

Room Tip: We had the king room, great A/C and very quiet !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meghan O

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I LOVED this place! Dan and Daniel were such amazing hosts. As another couple who was there at the same time as us said "it's like staying with family members you actual like" and that was so true. We stayed in the downstairs king room which was perfect! The bed was amazingly comfortable and we had just enough room. The AC worked great too. It was always kept so clean and organized as well. That room has its own little table right in front next to the pool and we had a great time eating Daniel's delicious breakfasts there every morning. Speaking of, Daniel's lobster dinner was by far the best lobster I have ever had. I don't even really like lobster and I find myself craving his since we came home! Dan, the owner, is wonderful and sees to it that no need is left unmet. We rented a car right next door which was super convenient and once we figured out the roads, it was extremely easy to get down to the main part of town. It is definitely recommended to rent a car and explore the east side of the island. Great beaches and little bars. Overall, absolutely amazing stay, we cannot wait to come back! Thank you!!

Room Tip: The downstairs king room was awesome! We peeked at the new upstairs king room and it looked amazing...
1  Thank Aley P
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Unfortunately Casita de Maya was booked for the duration of our trip to Cozumel, otherwise we definitely would have stayed here for more than one night. Dan was incredibly helpful and accommodating upon our arrival, and helped us get settled in an incredibly beautiful newly renovated upstairs room. After we got settled and met the resident Casita de Maya mascots (Chuck the cat and Trixie the dog) Dan was even kind enough to escort us to a local place (off the tourist strip, which is exactly what we were looking to experience in Cozumel) to get some awesome pastor tacos. Daniel was great in the morning, having the coffee ready and bringing us some excellent home-cooked huevos rancheros for breakfast. We did not have time to use the pool, but the pool and courtyard area is a relaxing and quiet place to hang out. Casita de Maya is a beautiful, homey spot removed from the tourist area which allows you to experience more of Cozumel. I wish we had more time here, since it was absolutely our favorite spot along the trip. If we ever return, we will without a doubt be staying here the whole time! Also, the airport is within walking distance-- super convenient!

1  Thank K S
Reviewed 26 May 2014

When we arrived at Casita de Maya we had our doubts. First of all - walking from the airport to your hotel with your bags in tow is a bit unusual. As you head around the round-about in the hot Mexican sun wondering what on earth you're doing - you may just think as we did - what are we getting ourselves into now?

We really didn't have a clue! I had booked the place and the flights on a December day when it was minus 25 degrees C. Anything warm sounded good. So when we fronted up to Casita de Maya and there were a couple of guests sitting in lawn chairs in front of the hotel alongside the road drinking - we rolled our eyes. What we didn't know is that we'd soon be joining them - and loving it! That's the magic of Casita de Maya.

Dan is everything everyone has written here. So is Daniel who comes and goes daily on his motorcycle. Casita de Maya is charming, spotlessly clean, and friendly. The courtyard is lovely - the pool is sparkling (I swam everyday) - the margaritas are perfect - and Dan somehow manages to keep everyone happy. We had booked a queen room but Dan upgraded us, asking us first if we would mind a shifting rooms twice since he did not have one king room available for our entire stay. So we had the pleasure of experiencing a couple of rooms and have to say - we LOVED the king rooms. Our favourite was the one at the back of the main floor behind the pool but the upstairs king room is also gorgeous and on top of that - brand spanking new.

We rented a car and explored the island and thoroughly recommend this. The car rental agency is right next door and organizing a car is easy. We also walked many miles - bring your walking shoes. There are several local restaurants worth trying. Dan will help you this. All of it. And he will find sun screen for you when you get burned and also aloe vera gel to soothe the burn. Daniel will cook for you if like. We ate at Casita de Maya a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. And like everyone else we loved La Perlita and Diego's Taco Stand.

Casita de Maya is in a bonafide Mexican neighbourhood. It's a slice of life. Don't go to Casita de Maya if you want a resort on the beach. Go to Casita de Maya if you want a taste of real Mexico with a gracious host. My first night I was still unsure. At the end of a week, I didn't want to go. I boarded the airplane to return to Canada thoroughly happy, well-rested, tanned and having LOVED my week in Cozumel. I was sad to go.

So about those people sitting out front drinking. If you can't beat them - go ahead and join them. We're really not that kind but we dragged up lawn chairs and sat out front - watching the world go by - and met some of the best people ever. We left as friends and our lives were the made the better for it. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank limestone_cottage
Reviewed 18 May 2014

There is so much to say! From May 4th thru May 16th Casita de Maya was my home. I was travelling alone for the first few days and my family was concerned. They learned when they arrived that their concern was unwarranted.
I arrived about noon. As I walked into the courtyard I was greeted by Daniel who scolded me for not calling him for help in pulling my luggage from the airport. I had not considered such service a possibility. Daniel was warm and welcoming and said my room was ready. He made me a great margarita and said to sit & relax. I did just that as he had my luggage taken to my room.
When he returned, he handed me a lanyard with two keys which I placed around my neck. I never misplaced or had to look for keys during my entire visit. That was a first.

Casita de Maya is located on a quiet street which is bordered on the other side by a cement wall.
There was very little traffic. All of the rooms except the upstairs "KING" room are situated along an open courtyard which is appointed with a pool, well maintained foliage, a rattan seating area next to the bar and many tables for either dining, playing games or conversing. Very relaxing with a great breeze.

Daniel and his chef son and family are excellent cooks. He has a menu you can order from and you give him your order for the current or next day and tell him what time. There are no set eating times. The lobster and shrimp are fantastic along with the guacamole and pico de gallo.
Also the vegetables are cooked to perfection. Lobster, shrimp, baked potato & vegetables were
my choice more than once. The lobster was perfect, not dry or rubbery as I have sometimes had in your better seafood restaurants in the states.

Before leaving in the evening, Daniel prepares the coffee pot in the courtyard for the next morning. You just "hit the red button" when you get up. Gotta love it!

The rooms are a good size with plenty of storage for sports equipment. The A.C. is mounted close to the ceiling, very quiet and remote controlled. There is also a frige, microwave, iron, ironing board, clock, hair dryer and a dispenser full of body wash, shampoo and conditioner mounted on the wall of the shower. In the courtyard, there are shelves of movies in both English and Spanish and an array of board games and cards for their guests enjoyment.

Dan was such a host. Always willing to provide information and suggestions to help you customize your trip. When we asked about scuba, he recommended we talk to Gary, his long time friend, at Blue Wave. Dan called Gary, we set an appointment for that afternoon and went on a scuba dive the next morning. Because we were inexperienced divers, Gary set us up for the first dive with Chaki as our divemaster. She was absolutely wonderful with all four of us. My son went on a 2 tank dive with her 2 days later.

When we decided to rent a car, Dan put us in touch with Mario at Blueway car rental next door.
Mario was attentive to our needs and the rental was smooth and without surprises. Mario got our car switched when we decided we needed an automatic instead of a straight shift.

We decided to try the fish foot spa. Again, Dan had a friend in the business close to where we would be snorkeling that day so it was an easy deal. I think Dan knows just about everyone on the Island and the benefit of his experience was such a big help in our planning. Dan is a busy man but never to busy to help with a suggestion or directions and guidance.

In addition to Dan, Daniel and Mario, there was Jolie who takes care of the rooms always there to ask if you need anything. And wonderful Elvis who shows up to work in the afternoons on his scooter and is sometimes available for an occasional errand or tour.

Before my daughter arrived, she asked me if Casita de Maya met my expectations. I laughed and told her it surpassed my expectations...I joked that I thought if I asked for the moon, someone at Casita would try to provide it. I took comfort in feeling that regardless of where I was on Cozumel or what I was doing, I had friends & advocates in "Paradise".

I can't thank ALL of them enough for their kindness, consideration & patience. I hope to see all again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms here are great, the biggest one being upstairs where there is another bar and sunde...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Mazie2014
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We walked from the airport to the Casita. Daniel greeted us and our 2nd floor room was ready on arrival. We enjoyed the patio above the pool for wifi (poor reception in the room). What is not to like about Daniel? He treated us like family and guests. We chose La Perlita for dinner--nice stroll in the local neighborhood. We took a taxi to Mega Store for some wine and got back just in time for the rain. I never got to use their pool but it was fine for a little foot dangling. The rooms are well-tended and my favorite lazy [useless] cat was there for me to pet on demand. We could hang out in the courtyard or up on the patio. Watch those steps to the 2nd floor--just a bit tricky at the top. Beware that if it rains, the tile up there could be very dangerous. Just enjoy the atmosphere and definitely get one of Daniel's margaritas--WOOHOO!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

In short, yes it can! "Island Dan" has brought Casita de Maya to a new level, both literally and figuratively.

A new Suite has been added at the hotel that adorns the second level. This room is just outstanding, not to mention the best bargain on the Island. The room, which I affectionetly call the "Ritz" may be Dan's crowning achievement. In addition, a bar and lounging area has also been added to the second level, and there is a rumor that a hottub may show up in the future. The second level addition is all about romance, fun and privacy if you desire. Now add Daniel's mastery in the kitchen, with Casita's new menu topped with Daniel's special Marguritas, plus Jolees's special and maticulous touch, and the best just got better.

A few years back CNN named Casita de Maya one of the top romantic getaways in the world, well they need to return to give the Hotel its just do, and name it, "The Best Romantic Getaway in the World" for it truley is.

Lastly, read the other reviews and you will see the affection that the guests have for Dan and the staff. This was my ninth stay in five years and I can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Try the new Suite on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo