“Was Like Staying at a Relative's House”
Review of Casita de Maya

Casita de Maya
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, IL
“Was Like Staying at a Relative's House”
Reviewed 1 May 2010

My wife and I were getting married in Cozumel and were in Cozumel for 5 nights & 6 days. We planned on spending the first 3 nights at Casita since it was ranked the #1 hotel on TripAdvisor. We then ended our stay in Cozumel at the Cozumel Palace on the last 2 days (after the wedding). It was my wife and I, our 9-year-old daughter, my aunt, and our photographer. The rest of our wedding party stayed at the Hotel Fontan since Casita only had 4 rooms or so. We were looking forward to our stay and to meeting Dan since everyone on TripAdvisor had good things to say about him. We had been emailing each other back and forth in preparation for the wedding guests. Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to meet him as he was away on vacation. Here is how our stay went:

We arrived after our Delta flight to Cozumel got canceled and we were rerouted to Cancun, took the ferry over, and cabbed it over to Casita. We were greeted and given the tour of Casita. It was as expected except for one thing which made me cringe. We were told to not use toilet paper in the toilets. This was not what we were expecting especially for our wedding party. We were told to throw all toilet paper in the garbage because the toilet paper may not flush and that the cleaning lady would get it at 10 in the morning. I voiced my concern about the smell that would leave in the room. We decided to just use the outdoor bathroom if we had to do #2. This was my worst complaint since I found that the other hotels our wedding party booked at did not have this inconvenience. Other than this, everything else was as expected.

Service was personalized! We spoke each night as though I were talking to a relative. I expected the cat, dog, & turtle (the pets onsite). My daughter enjoyed them. A cup of coffee was made each morning. The Perlita seafood restaurant was recommended. So we ate there the first night and were pleased (especially with the Coconut Shrimp & margaritas). They gave us a free margarita for staying at the Casita (nice touch).

Beds were comfortable. Rooms were clean. Service was great. Phone calls and internet connection was free. Location was great (right by the airport and car rental places and in walking distance from local markets). My only complaint was their plumbing issue. If this were corrected, I would stay again and possibly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ltolbert4
Dan_Kom, Owner, manager at Casita de Maya, responded to this review, 1 May 2010
The Staff and Myself at Casita de Maya, appreciate the review and thank you for expressing your concerns regarding your stay with us. During your stay, you were told by a new employee that you would require to put toilet paper in the trash and not down the Toilet Basin. I sincerely apologize that you had to do so. I assure you that this practice is not our policy here at Casita de Maya, and never will be. The employee was wrong to suggest that your party do so, and thus has been counseled based upon me witnessing your review. Again, my deepest sentiments and feelings. I thank you for bring this issue to my attention, enabling us so that we may provide a better product in the future. To future guests please flush away!

Dan Komorowsky
CEO/Executive Director
Casita de Maya Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed Casita de Maya for four nights during spring break. Dan, Rueben and Jolie became instant family. We truly felt welcomed. The staff had no issues going out of their way to assist us, in whatever our needs were. I could go on about many of the wonderful experiences we had, but previous reviews have said it all.
Our vacation included spending three nights on the mainland. On the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, I got a sick feeling, but not from the ferry ride. I knew we had made a mistake leaving Casita de Maya and Cozumel. Although we had a good time on the mainland, it simply didn't compare to the fun we had with our new friends on the island.
I will certainly return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2010

As I work for an airline, my boyfriend and I decided to head to Cozumel for Easter weekend at the last minute. I booked our hotel the morning of our flight, and decided just to go with whatveer was #1 on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed upon arrival! This hotel is within walking distance of the airport. When we got there, we were warmly greeted by Dan, who also happens to be a retired airline employee from the U.S. In a nutshell, here are some ammenities we enjoyed: VERY clean, had a hair dryer/fridge/microwave/DVD player/Satellite TV in the room, great price, had a selection of books and DVDs to borrow, water dispenser in the lobby area (I hate not having access to free water on vacation!), and free calls to the US and Canada from your room. This hotel has only 4 rooms, so it has a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Being by the airport, I was worried about plane noise but I did not hear any planes at all while we were there. A man named Ruben works at the hotel to assist Dan, and he is extremely nice! He overheard me talking about being sunburned, so that night he brought a bottle of aloe vera to our room. He will also call a taxi anytime you need one. Both Ruben and Dan had great suggestions of what beaches to go to and what restaurants to go to, they were both very knowlegable. We walked from the hotel to downtown one night... it was a bit of a walk (20 minutes), but we felt safe the whole time and enjoyed seeing the ins and outs of Cozumel along the way. The hotel is really cozy and homey, there is a lobby area with a TV, stereo, and pool, and they have a pet dog, cat and turtle to keep you company. Although this hotel is not on the beach, all beaches on the island are very accessible - we went to an awesome beach called Playa Azul, and the cab ride was only $5. Dan also has connections with the car rental place next door to the hotel, we were able to get a car for $50 a day (included insurance!). There is a taco stand called Diego's right around the corner, I highly suggest it! We ate breakfast there everyday. Also, if you have Bank of America, there is a red ATM in the airport that says "Santiago" on it, and Bank of America will not charge you any fees if you use this ATM. I took cash out 3 times and did not get charged any extra fees, it was nice. We would usually stay at an all inclusive resort, but this was definitely a gem of a hotel! We ended up spending way less money staying here and buying our own food, and we saw a lot more of Cozumel than we would have otherwise. I will be staying at Casita de Maya every time I go to Cozumel!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tiger516
SA, TX
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We missed a flight and were referred to the hotel by a airline representative. It was right across the road from the airport. We were greeted by Dan the owner as soon as we walked in and knew we were in good hands. He gave us info to the great local area restaurants and even walked us around the area. Had we not missed out on our flight we would not have stumbled across this friendly, locally owned hotel, Rooms were clean couldnt have asked for more. If your looking for a home away from home, Casita de Maya is the place for you. Thanks Dan, from your 3 amigos from Texas!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Malejos1322
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 28 February 2010

As per previous reviews, the hospitality here cannot be beat. Dan greeted us personally when we arrived (our flight was even 2 hours late.) He walked us down the street to buy some refreshing cerveza and even talked the guy down on his price.

The hotel was a short walk from the airport, it was so nice not to have to deal with the hustle and bustle of catching a taxi at the terminal. Our room was clean and cool, modern and comfy all at the same time. For dinner, we were directed to a delightful seafood restaurant just down the street, La Perlita, that had the best ceviche I have ever had. Dan and Rueben were always on-spot with their recommendations. They'll help arrange taxis and rental car's making your stay a breeze and focused on relaxation without stressing about the details.

Downtown and the cruise-ship district are an easy 20 minute walk. The streets are safe and easy to navigate. Dan always sent us with a business card in case we got lost so that we could call.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Feb 9th-13th
Casita de Maya is the best! Once again, every expectation met. Dan has added a staff member since our last stay (Rueben) who speaks fluent English that helps with anything you may need.
This trip we brought two of our children age 9 and 16. Both of the kids loved to sit around the pool and talk with Rueben. Anytime our daughter (9) wanted something that we did not readily have on hand she would say " I'll go ask Rueben" and he always came through for her, he even made her a necklace! The rooms, as always were kept spotless by Jolie! Kittie and Trixie the hotel dog and cat are NEVER in the way but add a touch of home to the Hotel. Convenience store's are a block away. Town square is only 3 miles at most.
All said: we had another great stay and the kids loved it!
Thanks, Dan
David & Janet Reynolds
OKC, OK

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DrReynolds
Phoenix
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Dan and his staff make you feel like family. They take care of every need and more. We love the laid back leisure time and great resturants are near.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple