“The best breakfast in Cozumel is at Indio's!”

La Casita de Indio 333
Ranked #103 of 394 Restaurants in Cozumel
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The owner, Indio, opened the restaurant for us early on Sunday morning so that my girlfriend's daughters could make their flight on time. He prepared lobster omelets with basil aioli sauce that was the best I have ever tasted!

1  Thank ALW95BS

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We saw the reviews for Indio's on TA and decided to try it. It was everything the reviews claimed. Indio was engaging and the food was excellent (and cheap). My favorite was the seafood platter for two. We ate there 4 times during our stay. Well worth the effort to find.

2  Thank AnitaKayRN
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My 5th trip to Cozumel and I finally stumbled across La Casita de Indio. So glad we did! Indio is a fantastic guy who genuinely loves what he does and it comes through in his food. We asked that he surprise us with breakfast and lobster breakfast burritos arrived! Mouth watering food, mango margaritas (aka Mexican milkshakes!), fantastic service and.....you get to sign the walls! Indio even made us margaritas when we showed up after he had closed and chatted with us for a while. Will definitely be back every visit!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Recently I was in Cozumel, Mexico for a 9 day vacation with my wife and some friends. Having lived in California I was all about trying to find something that seemed authentic. Perhaps this is just a cliche' for travelers; perhaps even more so in a place like Cozumel, where tourism is a high percentage of their income. We had several good meals, with nice staff at some local restaurants, but were just feeling, well... like tourists. Then we happened upon La Casita de Indio one night. I admit that I was skeptical at first, as there are signatures from past visitors all over the walls, both inside and out. The decor left a few things to be desired...but then I smelled the food that was cooking and began to salivate. At La Casita de Indio, the kitchen is quite close to the sidewalk, allowing you to see right into the action.. The food smelled delicious, was obviously quite fresh and was being prepped essentially from scratch. The fish was fresh, the staff was making the salsas right in front of you. Even thinking of the smells now makes me hungry. We were observing the work being done, when the owner engaged us in conversation (in English). Indio, the owner wasn't pushy, he wasn't smarmy, he just looked like he was having a good time cooking for people. He asked what we liked so we told him that we were looking for seafood. He essentially invented something for us on the spot. He created a platter literally covered with shrimp, conch, lobster and fish on a bed of lettuce and bacon that was out of this world. The entire time he and his staff (which seemed like his family) were serving us, they all seemed to be having a good time, with us and with eachother. The bill that night was more than reasonable for the food that we have been served, in fact it was so cheap we were wondering if something had been missed, but it hadn't. Later on that same week was Valentine's day, so my buddy and I went by Indio's to see about having a valentine's day celebration with our wives, at his place. As we walked up, he yelled out to us, not in a car salesman like way, but as if we were old friends of his he hand't seen in a while. We told him our plan and he was all about creating a great experience for us on valentine's day, even offering to get some wine especially for us. We showed up that night and sat outside as we had earlier in the week. The service was great, and Indio was cutting up with his other customers and having fun. He actually jumped on his scooter aftere getting a lead on some really fresh fish down by the pier. Five minutes later he comes zooming back up, jumps off the scooter with his fish, cleans it and boom its on the grill. The food was just as good if not better than the first night.

Bottom line, if I go back to Cozumel, I may literally not eat anywhere but there. Yes, the place looks a little less than ideal, but I could care less. The food is really good and fresh, the service is truly friendly, not fake. The prices are great. What really makes the place is the owner, Indio. His joy is contagious. Just before we left, he ran out, literally ran out, to take some pictures for us for valentines. After he took several, we literally dragged him into a few with us.

My advice, overlook the decor, and realize that all those signatures on the walls are from happy customers. Customers that probably left feeling just the way we did; like we had just spent the evening at the home of a friend, who made a wonderful meal.

1  Thank KOGTHETRAVELER
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was hands down the best authentic Mexican food I've ever had in Cozumel. I have visited Cozumel 4 times and Indio has far better food than even the upscale tourist restaurants.
It was a rainy day and we were only in town for the day on a cruise, and we were just walking by hungry. Indio was there cooking and singing in the window and the smell was delicious.
There were many more options of freshly prepared food than one would expect from a smaller place.
I ate until I couldn't eat any more, and then I ate out of gluttony... Everything was excellent!
I will definitely be back. If you have trouble deciding too, get the mole:)
It is obvious that Indio puts his heart and soul into his cooking.