“Fabulous Reef”
Review of NIrvana Dive shop

NIrvana Dive shop
More attraction details
Owner description: We focus on providing a tailored and friendly service, ensuring that you have the time of your life in a safe and professional environment. With a full range of diving services, NIrvana Diving School, offers small groups and scuba diving experiences packed with great fun and breathtaking memories!
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I took our kids on a cruise to Mexico and I had read years ago that Jaques Cousteau discovered a fabulous reef here and raved about it so it was on my bucket list. We chose Diver Down Cozumel because of reviews we had read. They are relatively new to the business and at this point still a little disorganized but very informed about the reef and experienced divers. They were wonderful about personalizing the experience for us. We were able to mix scuba and snorkeling so we could all participate and Aristotle took some amazing shots of us in the canyons of Palancar reef and burned a CD for us as a bonus. I'm only sorry that we had only one day here to explore.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We just got back from a fabulous 2 tank boat dive with Socrates and his crew.

We took the ferry from Playa del Carmen and were met by Socrates at the ferry terminal in Cozumel.

Three of us are certified divers but one of our sons is not yet certified and was nervous about diving. We chose Socrates for our dive since he was the most willing to work with our mixed levels of experience and we were very pleased with our choice.

While Socrates led the rest of us with a small diving group, his assistant Gabo spent one-on-one time with our younger son and very patiently coached him and helped him to successfully and confidently dive down 25 feet and share in the wonder of diving the Palancar Reef. He got to see rays, an eel and many colorful fish.

Our group led by Socrates saw big turtles, a spotted ray, several barracudas and all sorts of other tropical fish. He also led us through coral ravines and arches along the coral reefs.

After both dives, we snacked on very fresh local fruit which was cut up while we diving. The reasonably priced dive included all equipment and wet suits.

I would definitely recommend Socrates and his crew for a Cozumel dive trip!

2  Thank BeckyAM2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I took a cruise to Cozumel for our 6th anniversary. We love to Scuba but neither of us are certified yet so we were looking for a 'discover scuba' trip. I read another review on here that Diver Down was able to work with another cruiser's schedule so I e-mailed them. They were great about e-mailing me back quickly and answered all my questions! We got off our ship at 9am and took a 5 minute taxi ride to 'La Caleta' marina where we met our instructor, Aristotle. He led us to the boat where he had EVERYTHING ready for us, wetsuits/tanks/goggles/etc. (We had e-mailed our sizes prior to leaving for the cruise). We took a boat ride out and Aristotle explained and reviewed all the things we needed to know for a Discover Dive--we had been on discover dives in the past so he made it more like a 'refresher' course. We jumped into shallow waters to do some practice and then it was off to the reef! Wow! Never have I seen such amazing plant/marine life than I have in Cozumel. It was beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed the scuba adventure. We dove for about 45 minutes and Aristotle was an excellent dive instructor. He made us both feel very confident about our safety before and during the dive. He took pics for us and gave us a CD with all the pictures from our dive! We still had about 2 hours till we needed to be back on the cruise ship and we asked Aristotle if there was a beach nearby where we could just swim around and he took us to Sunset Beach which was a perfect end to our day!! We ended up swimming and even rented some snorkel masks to practice a little skin diving. We were able to walk back to our ship at Puerta Maya from Sunset Beach. Aristotle was so accommodating and I highly recommend Diver Down for all your SCUBA excursion needs. They are very honest and fair and treat you well!!! Take a trip with Diver Down Cozumel and you won't be sorry!!!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Five first time divers did the Discover Scuba twice and a snorkel trip with wife who does not dive. The initial training was very good and made everyone confident. With five divers, we got a private charter which made it nice. Socrtaes and his assistant, Marie were very helpful and a pleasure to work with. On our last dive, we did so well that three of the divers got over an hour from their tank. Diving Cozumel is excellent. We saw many sea turtles, barracudas, crabs, lobsters and tropical fish. Two of the young lady divers (ages middle twenties) stuck close to Socrtaes and that seemed to be the place to be since he is so experienced at pointing out neat stuff under the water. Snorkel trip with Gabo was fun. Overall, we would definitely use Diver Down again and would highly recommend for non-certified divers like ourselves.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

My sister, her husband and I were on a cruise in Cozumel for a day. We decided to go on a discover dive instead of doing the usual Mayan temple visit or hanging out on a beach. We messaged with Diver Down and they agreed to accommodate us on our schedule. When we met up with Socreates, he already had our suits (with our sizes that were sent over email) and equipment and registration forms ready. We went out on a boat and after 30minutes with another group of 4 then dropped them off before the boat dropped us off in the shore for the intro course.

We had an hour instruction on the basics before we went on the 40ft boat dive. Socrates was really patient with us, took care of our safety and made sure that we know and passed the course before we took the dive. My sister was nervous about going down but Socrates didn't push her. He made sure that she was comfortable with the gear and equipment before she went down on the dive.

It was a great dive all in all. We saw a turtle, a small stingray, a huge moray eel, a giant angel fish and lots of different species of fish and some beautiful corals. The dive spot has almost a 100% visibility from the surface so my sister was able to see most of the species even before she decided to dive down. The current was a little strong though so we just went with the flow.

One thing we suggest for improvement is the quality and number of photos taken and the response time sending it. I emailed them constantly about sending the photos but only got the dropbox link three weeks after, and it contained only four photos of marine species, 2 photos of me, and another 2 of the guy from another group(?). My sister and her husband didn't have any photos and I don't remember us having a group or solo shots WITH marine life all around. As of writing this, I haven't received a response on the other photos.
Would be nice to have it documented to show to friends how beautiful it was down there, and to entice them to dive in Cozumel.

5  Thank faypinera