“A magical place....”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Houston, Texas
“A magical place....”
Reviewed 21 November 2017 for a stay in November 2017
person found this review helpful

Located just south of famous Chankanaab Park with prime diving right offshore, this beautiful home is in the perfect setting for a group of family and/or friends to spend a few days or longer relaxing and enjoying all that the island has to offer. The home is dramatic and well-furnished and artfully decorated.

Privacy is easy to attain,even with a large group, and the size was perfect for our party of 9. There is a guest house if any of your fellow travelers have kids or need more isolation from the hubbub of the main house, but every is room quiet, with a great view and amenities.

We had a young lady cleaning every day and the groundskeeper lives on the property (in a small casita, for added security.). Both keep the house and grounds were in perfect shape and we felt very safe (although crime on this island really isn't a problem).

We hired a chef (Fernando, from Coxumel Chef) and we felt like pampered royalty during our stay. He was was less expensive than eating out, but the food was awesome and comparable to the excellent restaurants available there. In addition, his company stocked our pantry, so there was no shopping for a few days.

Dive boats can pick up on the property dock in really calm weather and next door when it's rough. It was very convenient and the divemaster recommended by the property manager was awesome. He'd pick us up each morning, we'd make a couple of dives, and be back for a late lunch. Snorkeling was possible and there was a ladder, but be aware of boat traffic. The water was really nice, though.

Awesome views off the seawall had us walking down for the sunset each evening and the parade of huge iguanas and exotic birds in the back yard kept us entertained.

The pool was refreshing and well-maintained and a good way to cool off after a run or morning of diving.

We WILL be back. Everyone we met made us feel at home and our accommodations were perfect.

mkk1
chicago, il
“Just "WOW"”
Reviewed 20 February 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

I celebrated my 50th birthday here with friends of varying ages. When we first arrived someone commented "it's even better than the photos" and they were right. Large, clean, stunning views and gorgeous property. I highly recommend!

Hank J
“TIME CONSUMING ISSUES”
Reviewed 21 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

My wife and I invited six friends to stay with us in Cozumel as part of my wife’s birthday celebration. We had originally booked another house, but became unavailable. Enjoy Cozumel moved us (with our approval) to Casa Refugio. It looked like a great place. We arrived on Saturday, August 8. After meeting the on-site security/maintenance guy at the house to check-in, we made a trip to Mega for groceries. When we returned to the house, we put beverages, dairy products, and fresh vegetables in the refrigerator – with the full expectation that the refrigerator should be in working condition. The refrigerator was hot. I called Diana (Enjoy Cozumel), the manager, about the problem. She said to let the refrigerator set overnight to catch-up. We went back to Mega for ice and an ice chest.

The next morning I checked the refrigerator and it was still hot. I called Diana again on Sunday afternoon and left a message as no one answered the phone. We made another trip to Mega for ice. Mega was out of ice. We stopped by Chedruai. Chedruai, too, was out of ice. We spotted an ice box at the Pemex station on the way back to Refugio, but the store was closed at the time. On Monday, I called Diana again. She agreed to send someone to repair the refrigerator. Sometime during the day, I went out for more ice. Mega was still out of ice. Chedruai was still out of ice. The store at the Pemex station was open. I was able to buy ice there. When I returned, I got a call from Diana saying the repairman had been by, but no one at the house answered his arrival call. My wife and all my guests were outside enjoying the pool and the ocean. We did not realize we were supposed to give up vacation time to wait for a repairman. I told Diana I would go outside the gate to wait by the road for the repairman. She notified the repairman. As I recall, I waited about 30 minutes and Isidro (on-site security and great guy) came outside the gate to take my place. When the repairman came, we had to spend vacation time emptying the refrigerator so repair work could begin. The repairman worked on the refrigerator. The repairman said to put everything back in the refrigerator and let it set overnight to catch-up. We did that.

I checked the refrigerator the next morning – still hot. I called Diana again to let her know, and then went out for more ice. Mega had ice, today. This time Diana decided to replace the refrigerator. Again, we spent vacation time removing and replacing refrigerated items. The replacement refrigerator worked beautifully! The problem was how long it took to get the problem resolved. I would have been happy with a replacement refrigerator the first thing on Sunday morning, but that did not happen. Instead, it was Tuesday afternoon before we had refrigeration!

We also had a problem with the gas supplied to the oven and stove. We noticed the problem on Sunday when my brother was preparing breakfast. He said the stove eyes did not seem to be putting out much heat. Since we were getting some heat, I thought I would get the refrigeration problem resolved before complaining about the stove; I had no idea it would take as long as it did to get a working refrigerator. In the meantime, we had a local chef come in on three nights to prepare authentic Mexican dinners. She complained about the time it took her to prepare the dinners because there was insufficient heat. She had to come in early the last two evenings in order to have the meal ready at a proper time. I called Diana again to let her know about this problem. The repairman came the next day. Both the stove and oven were perfect after that. Why did no one know about this problem when we moved in on Saturday?

We had another issue. Nobody told us this house was so close to the neighboring house -- probably six meters. Starting on Wednesday, there was a corporate retreat of some kind next door. Wednesday while we were outside to enjoy the sunset and quiet evening, a volleyball game started up in the pool next door. There was cheering and yelling for hours. So much for the quiet evening.

Thursday while were outside to enjoy the sunset and quiet evening, a live band started playing loudly next door. There was loud music, singing, cheering, and yelling for hours; so much for the quiet evening.

Friday, while were outside to enjoy the sunset and quiet, a volleyball game started up in the pool next door. There was cheering and yelling for hours -- so much for the quiet evening.

The next problem: We were unable to use the master bedroom shower. The shower enclosure leaks and floods the bathroom!

I requested that I be reimbursed for at least one day ($805). The owner gave me a measly $300 refund. With all the problems and responses, this place isn't worth paying $805 a day.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Snorkeling
Liked least: Spent too much time solving owner's problems.
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mindy M
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Beautiful home- great location and view- fantastic pool!”
Reviewed 23 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015
person found this review helpful

Casa Refugio is spectacular- comfortable and spacious- nicely decorated- huge kitchen- comfortable beds- nice large walk in showers. We definite enjoyed our stay and would come again- there is nice grass yard if you have children which would be a great area for them to play. Also appreciated separate AC units in bedrooms so you could adjust to your liking. The manager Diana responded promptly to our request for grill (is round charcoal grill)- Rosario did a great job cleaning every other day- and the caretaker Isidro although does not speak much English was there to assist in any way he could.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Tiffany B
“Excellent Property and an Excellent Location with friendly help.”
Reviewed 2 December 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

We stayed at Casa Refugio for 10 days over Thanksgiving. We had 7 in our group and everyone absolutely loved the property. Most of us had been to Cozumel at least one other time, some have been 5 times, and this is by far the best location that we have stayed. Right on the reef with steps into the ocean and a small dock that a small dive boat can pick you up on. The pool was amazing and we enjoyed floating around it and playing volleyball. The caretaker and housekeeper were both absolutely amazing, and took such great care of our family while we stayed at the house. This is definitely a place we will be going back too! The pictures look just like the property, and the yard was amazing with so much to do we barely had to leave! We took advantage of the cook service, massages, and scuba diving and all were amazing. Top notch location if you don't mind being a little secluded.

I would suggest bug spray as they get bad at night and to watch out for water on the floors they get really slick when wet.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We had access to the ocean off our back steps.
Liked least: The tile floors were very slick.
Travelling group: Large Group
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Taft
Reviewed 3 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Luxury-minded travelers
WI - USA
Reviewed 9 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Luxury-minded travelers
Management Response
9 Jan 2014
Hi Jan & Jim,

Thanks so much for that feedback! We will be stocking the kitchen with the necessary pots & pans, bowls and water stand.

So glad you enjoyed the house otherwise!

The Enjoy Riviera Maya (Cozumel) Team
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing