“Outstanding service, great food & an unbeatable view” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fogo do Brasil
Ranked #184 of 359 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Brazilian, South American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wellington, New Zealand
“Outstanding service, great food & an unbeatable view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great spot on the waterfront in Cozumel! My boyfriend and I stopped in by chance during a torrential downpour and got some delicious burritos and margaritas. We noticed the breakfast menu and decided we'd have to come back. They have great balcony seating with a view out over the harbor, which is perfect during nice weather. When we came back for breakfast, the staff recognized us and made a point to regularly check on us and see how everything was. The breakfast was delicious and a great value. After paying the bill, I forgot my credit card and didn't realize it. About five minutes later, as we were walking along the waterfront, two waiters came running after us to return my card. Couldn't ask for better customer service!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Cozumel, Mexico
“Very good and reasonable breakfast, with a great view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Had a very good, reasonable breakfast at Fogo Do Brazil this morning....., great service from the attentive staff!

• Visited April 2014
North Dakota
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

On our last evening of a one-month stay, we had an evening meal at Fogo do Brasil. Wish we had gone sooner, as it was one of our favorite meals. Terrific food and service. Will definitely return on our next trip!!

• Visited March 2014
Chicago
“Sorry to say....not good at all!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We took advantage of a special offered here. At 1/2 price it was not worth it at all! This is so gross to talk about, a piece of hair on the salad bar dressing, a piece of hair in my soup! The meat is not served as in the US, small skewers of not the same choices. Not good at all...service was fine.
With so many great restaurants on the island, I don't see this place making it!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank indy83
England
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Sorry folks but this one word sums it up for me! Terrible because I actually ended up with food poisoning after my visit here. My lab reports indicated it was a salmonella strain of bacteria. In hindsight I know why.

This was our 2nd visit here. I had not really wanted to return (was not really impressed last time) but my husband wanted to visit because he is a big meat eater. I am a salad girl myself. We partook in their all you eat meats buffet, accompanied by the salad bar.

Now when we arrived at 7pm the restaurant was virtually empty (not a good sign) but of course many Mexicans eat late anyway! We had our soup and empanada starter which was okay and were invited to go to the salad bar. The salad bar was much better stocked than our 1st visit, but looked rather wilted, dried out and curling. It is NOT sat on ice, and has no cover/screen over the open raw vegetables, salad and dressings. Being 'salad girl' I picked out the best offerings I could find. The dressings (which were just in open bowls) actually had a skin over the top when I attempted to move the spoon.

The meats started to come out, and if I am honest, we were both disappointed with what we got. Still you have to wonder how it can be fresh when a restaurant actually has no customers in. (By this time the only other table of guests had left!) The best meats we tried were the flank and skirt....not what my idea of good beef is...but there again I am NOT a meat connoisseur! We were also brought rib eye, fillet, new York strip, buffalo chicken wings, shrimp and octopus. I tried little bits of several offerings but not all. I ate far more salad.

The staff were attentive and very pleasant but we were the only 2 guests in at the time. We sat out on the balcony, and location is probably about the best feature this restaurant has!

By the time we left a couple of hours later I had a stomach ache. By the next day I was violently ill and eventually had to go to San Miguel Clinic. My husband rang up the manager to report what had happened and got a very lame "we are sorry" and that was it!! So our $100 USD meal (we had wine which is expensive here) ended up costing us an extra $100 in consultation, tests and medication.

In summary....I appreciate that I was just maybe unlucky, however, I WOULD advise folks to really consider the safety of ingesting from a salad bar NOT on ice in these temperatures and when there seems to be such little custom....how can it ever be fresh? How long is it sitting out?
HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing....and as I was sat vomiting with diarrhea....I was certainly chanting "never again, never again"!!!!

• Visited March 2014