“It served the purpose for a couple of days...”

Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Saratoga Springs, New York
“It served the purpose for a couple of days...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights before heading over to the east side of the island. It was nice that the hotel is centrally located and in walking distance to the ferry pier and plaza as well as mega. The hotel is clean and the few staff we saw were friendly. Upon our arrival we were asked what time we would like "breakfast" and we requested 9am. The following morning I had to go looking for it at 9:30am and found it was on the way. The next morning it had not arrived by 10am so we left, as I did not want to spend my vacation in the hotel room. When we returned in the evening we were asked again and requested 8am...it came on time for our last day. Maybe you need to request it every night? I had assumed that it would just come at 9am for the duration of our stay unless we requested otherwise, rather than having to hunt staff down to remind them. Mind you, it is just a few pastries and oj n coffee...but it is certainly enough to get you through to lunch, so we were pretty annoyed that we had to go out and buy breakfast on the second day after waiting an hour.

The vendors in the market downstairs were relentless, but luckily they pack up and go home around 5pm. I never went in the downstairs pool because of the vendors and it felt awkwardly placed, but did find the rooftop pool relaxing and had it to myself each time i went. If you want sun though, you have to go in the morning because it's covered in shade by mid to late afternoon.

We were kindly reminded on both our arrival and departure to tip the maid "if we want" which I personally found somewhat rude. Maybe people don't tip there? I always tip (every day as I know there are different maids that come and clean), but if I were the type of person that didn't automatically do so, the 'friendly reminder' might have ensured that I did not.

Overall it was a good value for the price. If you are on a budget and want to be located central to town for a couple nights then I would recommend it, but I wouldn't recommend staying for an entire week.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djenah79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

Everything was fine as usual at the Vista del Mar until Martin, the morning receptionist blatantly denied my girlfriend a breakfast roll when we asked for one. Martins response was that there are only 3 rolls per room and it is policy that no more shall be given. My girlfriend and I were shocked that in a 'boutique' hotel such as this, an exception could not be made. I saw the box of breakfast rolls that morning and there were more than could be eaten for sure. I just want the owners of this establishment to know that I will not be staying at the Vista del Mar nor will i be sending any of my friends there. Hope it was worth the price of a roll.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed here in early April on my annual solo diving trip and was more than pleased with the service , room, view ( I booked the street view towards the sea) and was overall very very pleased

Good location for local food, good people watching and I was there the night the new prez was inaugurated and that was a hoot as the locals had a blast celebrating

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tykris
Benson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

The location is on the water front with a view of the Sea, rooms are very clean, the staff members are all ready and willing to help with, Car Rentals, Massages, Places to eat, tour informaion and thing to do on the Island. The best rates ! I have already scheduled my next stay. You are treated like family !

Room Tip: Stay 28 or more days for a 50 % discount
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DeweyR
Zumbro Falls, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights in February and had a great time .
The hotel is close to everything the downtown area has to offer.
There is no beach area but the view of the ocean from our room was great.
We enjoyed the continental breakfast every morning on our balcony while we watched the cruise ships dock at the pier. Such a relaxing change from the crowded all inclusive buffett lines. If you you are the type of person that needs an activities director and bunch of pool games then go to one of Cozumel's many all inclusive hotels ...but if you just want a nice relaxing place to hang up your wetsuit and enjoy a beer at the end of the day , then this is your place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

This was our 6th trip to Cozumel and we usually rent a house. Because it was just the two of us, we opted for a hotel. Vista Del Mar was perfect! The rooms are spacious and super clean. I highly recommend getting one of the ocean veiw rooms. Each morning begins with coffee, juice, rolls and a veiw of the blue waters. The evenings always ended with a cerveza on the balcony watching the beautiful sunset. The staff is wonderful! They are friendly and ready to help with anything you need. I felt so at home and I just can't say enough good things!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

A friend and I shared a room, which was huge when we arrived. I had a king-bed to myself, and she had a queen-bed. We had a balcony, where we had continental breakfast every morning.

The staff was super friendly and helpful, and the hotel was very clean. The hotel is located at the heart of the city, which was convenient for walking around and getting cabs.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends