“Sand Dollar Rip Off- Danger!!”

Sand Dollar Sports Diving
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked a two tank dive through Royal Caribbean in 2010. We are all open water divers. When we arrived we were taken past the nice looking gear in the front of their shop to the back of the shop where we were given ratty old suits which was practically worn out and old gear. We were then taken to the "dive" boat which was actually a tiny wooden fishing boat parked next to a beautiful dive boat (the boat we were led to believe we were hiring). All of us had faulty equipment. I had free flowing regulator. We had two life threatening experiences: One member of our group had an O-ring failure 85 feet down and had to make an emergency ascent. The second had her weight belt removed by the instructor who had just added air to her BCD which caused her to bolt to the surface. Royal Caribbean refunded our money. Avoid them at all costs- it could save your life!!

4  Thank Jeff B

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Worst diving experience of my life. We experienced a number of problems with Sand Dollar Sports (such as, but not limited to, having to stand in a line in the intense, direct sun for 25-30 mins to get equipment, no water or food onboard (they gave us one small bottle of water to take with us that was supposed to last the entire time). The boat was not very nice, and it was small (barely cleared the waterline). The worst problem was their old, poorly maintained equipment. All of us had leaky BCDs and of the 6 of us diving we had four other equipment problems, which the guides did not take seriously. My mom had a free flowing regulator, which the dive instructor "fixed" by kinking the hose and stuffing it into her BCD. The most serious problem was a regulator failure (primary and backup) at 85 feet, and my husband nearly drowned (on our honeymoon I might add). The dive master also pulled off my sister's weight belt at the safety stop, causing her to shoot to the surface like a cork. That could have caused serious injury as well. We booked through the cruise ship, thinking that would take the hassle and worry out of finding a good dive shop in Cozumel. We could not have been more wrong. I don't know where the $100+ USD/person they are charging is going, but it's certainly not going to their boat or equipment. I hope things have changed since May 28, 2010, but if not beware. Avoid diving with Sand Dollar Sports if you possibly can. It's not worth your life.

2  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I trained for my SCUBA open water Diving Course. Ernesto Martinez, diving instructor was fantastic as well Dani Alvarez the operations manager. Ernesto always made me feel comfortable in the water, passed on his wealth of knowledge and made each dive a fun and memorable experience

3  Thank Remy F
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Did a two tank certified dive w/equipment as a shore excursion from a Carnival Cruise this weekend and had a great time. The boat is a bit small and it was packed, but the ride was short and we dove in two groups so everyone wasn't all over each other on the reef. The equipment was fine. They use snorkel fins, but it's drift diving so it's no big deal. If you want a wetsuit (and they only have shorties) it's an extra $10. We dove Chankanaab and Paradise Reefs. The visibility was fantastic and the corals were beautiful. We didn't see any pelagics except for one reported eagle ray siting. Water temp was 83F at 60 feet. It's obvious how much they are doing to protect the reefs there. You can't dive in gloves (prevent touching) and you can't even put on new sunscreen in between dives unless it is bio-degradable (diving approved) sunscreen. The dive guides were great. Would definitely use them again.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

They couldn't have done a better job! Everyone was knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. Our instructor's name was Paco. He was absolutely, positively, wonderful!! With no prior experience we were suited with scuba tanks and underwater in no time. They make it so easy!! They had a cab ready to take us back to the pier as soon as we were done. I highly recommend this tour!!