“Very Professional and Accommodating”

Sand Dollar Sports Diving
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Since I had an interest in diving Santa Rosa Wall (I had done it twice before) the staff accommodated me in taking the group there even though we were divers on an excursion from a cruise (no one else had any requests). The staff on the boat was excellent and professional checking the gear before you entered the water. When my boat-appointed buddy was at 500 psi they paired him with other novice divers as they ascended together and I was allowed to buddy-up with the in-water divemaster since I still had 1500 psi and we had ascended to 50 ft. I was happy with the extra bottom time.

3  Thank Patrick O
There are newer reviews for Sand Dollar Sports Diving

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Dive briefing was not great (not much explanation or what the surface time was going to be). Divemaster said that he was going to continually check if we were ok down there but he was not going to constantly check our air consumption and said to let him know once we were at 800psi. These were drift dives. The second dive, he told three of us to go down first and then as the current was taking us, we were just hoping he would show up. I would try and keep an eye on the group in front of us in case our divemaster didn't show up before we were too far from our starting spot.

After our first dive, we had to go to the marina to pick up more tanks because they had another round of divers in the afternoon. It was about 2 minutes from our second dive site and about 5 minutes from the dock. Not sure why they couldn't do this after we were done our dive.

I've been on 70+ dives and they usually have some sort of snack available for a 2 tank dive, nothing here. Most dives I've been on have taken into account the divers air consumption. So, if the divers had enough air to continue, they would allow us to dive longer. We were on a strict 30 min first dive and 40 min second dive timeline. Also, they didn't help stamp our PADI logs, had to ask. Once we got off the boat, they didn't debrief us or anything. Just kind of let us be on our way. The whole experience felt rushed.

Did not enjoy the service with them at all. I also went through Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean should reevaluate their excursions with them.

2  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed 2 August 2014

In late July, 2014, I dove with these guys as they are an authorized excursion from the Freedom of the Seas ship (Royal Caribbean CL). I was assigned to a dive group with two inexperienced divers. One had made her first open water dive the day before and the other had made 10 dives in 8 years. Both were experiencing bouyancy issues (one sinking and one floating to the top frequently). After the Dive Master made an initial check with everyone, he was off searching for items to show us (good), but was not watching over his group, particularly the new divers, and allowed them to get 150+ feet away from him and without him turning around to check on his group for extended periods of time. Had they experienced difficulty or been separated beyond the distance of visibility, he would never had been able to respond. Keep in mind that these are drift dives. As a result, I ended up diving by them as I felt a moral obligation for their safety, despite not having the proper training for being a DiveMaster. I ended up having to help them on two occassions with issues that, had they continued or had the new divers paniced, would have been quite dangerous.

At the end of the second dive, there was no role call taken to ensure that all divers were back in the boat.

While you do sign a waiver that releases the operation from fault/liability, their poor oversight, especially given that they are catering to cruiseships with a greater potential for rare/casual divers than a dive resort, make this a dangerous group to dive with.

I rented a 3mm shorty wetsuit for $10.00 that ended up having a faulty zipper, rendering it useless. No refund.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS OPERATION!!!!

5  Thank HBScubaTom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

About 5 years ago while on a cruise, my son and I had done Discover Scuba dives with Sand Dollar and had a great experience. Now that I have Advanced Open Water certification and about 35 dives, I was excited to cruise back to Cozumel and get some open water dives. Sand Dollar met us at the end of the cruise dock, and had us fill out paperwork. To their credit, they asked a couple of follow-up questions about medications I listed. They led us to the dive boat for a short trip to their equipment shop. I had my own mask, but had rented other gear, and found their BCDs and regulators to be in good condition. The dive boat was basic, no "dry" storage racks, but quite adequate for our group of about a dozen divers. We were divided into two groups. The dive masters set up weight belts, which was nice, though there was a lot of excess belt and it was a pound underweight (got 13 rather than 14) but an extra weight in the BCD pocket got things trimmed out quickly. The DMs gave a good briefing for each dive, which were each drift dives, to maximum depth of about 60-65 feet. Water temp was 85-86, so no wetsuit was really necessary. The DMs did a good job dealing with one diver who had major buoyancy control problems. Our group's DM did a fine job keeping a comfortable pace with the drift, and kept an eye on everyone staying reasonably together. We had two divers getting a bit low on air (not critical) so the DM designated them to head to the safety stop & ascent first. These were great drift dives, and I found the equipment, boat, dive briefing, safety-consciousness, and DMs to all be a good experience.

2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've been on over 50 dives with dozens of operators. Sand Dollar was very good. It was 14 months since my last dive and I told the dive master I didn't want to do an 80 foot drift dive. He said I should buddy up with him and he would make sure I had fun. He was right. The last time I dove in Mexico it was Cancun drift diving and the boat lost us. I said I would never drift dive Mexico again and I was wrong. Sand Dollar made it safe and fun. There were more than 12 of us from the cruise ship but Sand Dollar broke the group into two boats. We had 6 people and they guided us as a group. The dive master had a reel in his BC that he inflated during the safety stop so the boat found us easily. The staff did a great job with the dive and they took care of all the snags (broken straps, watches, etc.) that happen with casual divers. They had free bottled water which is a nice thing in Mexico. The only things missing for 5 stars were catered snacks and a 42' dive boat but this boat was big enough especially since the group was so small.

1  Thank richardandmindy