Ventanas al Mar
US$140
US$136
US$302
US$236
Coral Princess Golf & Dive Resort(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$200
US$195
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
US$504
US$454
All reviewsget away from it allwaves crashing on the rocksheart shaped poolhatching seasonorder ahead of timehuevos rancherosno electricityruebenfacing the seabreakfasts were wonderfulcross breezewild riceamazing locationhighly recommend renting a carair conditioningwi ficold shower
Reviewed 5 December 2011

When we are paying over a hundred dollars a night my wife and I expect a hotel to meet reasonable standards. Although Ventanas al Mar is in a fantastic location those standards were sadly lacking. Our room was dirty with mouldy drapes and hair on the side of the washbasin that was there when we arrived and still there when we left three days later (two days ahead of time). We had to brush dirt off our pillows on the first night. The two glasses supplied appeared to have been rinsed in local water and placed rim down on the counter each day. We had two beach towels and one regular towel between us. For the first two nights the windowless bathroom light was not working although that would not have helped a lot when the generator supplying the only power was only operating sporadically and impredictably. When the power was not on our room was supplied with the weakest of single candles that would eventually sputter out in the darkness. There are no mosquito screens on the doors that one usually leave open at night for ventilation so one has a choice - sleep in a sauna with the doors closed or open up and invite the wildlife in. Try catching mosquitos in the dark! We actually had a bat fluttering around in our room the night before we left. I didn't tell my wife until the morning! Although the staff here are really friendly and the breakfasts very good, for us the cons totally outweighed the pros. A real shame because this place could be so much more particularly if it lived up to it's website.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank junod
Reviewed 3 December 2011

But there were just too many negative "quirks" to give it more than 2 stars. I was on Cozumel for scuba diving and spent 6 nights at the Barracuda Hotel on the west side of the island. I wanted to "get away" for a little while and spent 2 additional nights at Ventanas al Mar on the east, or secluded side of the island. I am a very low-maintenance kind of guy, but it is based on expectations. I don't mind "roughing it" and frequently go camping. But for the price of the room, and the facts that these "quirks" were not disclosed, I was disappointed in my stay at Ventanas.

Pros:
ABSOLUTELY beautiful setting on the beach on the east side of the island. Fairly well-maintained. Large rooms with nice furnishings - king sized bed, table and chairs, dresser, armoire/closet (a couch or additional seating would be nice - the rooms have plenty of space). Secluded and private. Excellent breakfast with fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, mexican egg entree, coffee and juice. I had little interaction with the staff, but they were very friendly.

Cons:
Power - there was no power during the day, it was turned on around 5 or 6 pm, and then back off at 8 or 9 pm. This was completely unexpected. I arrived around 6 pm the first night and the only person around did not speak english, but he did communicate to me that the power would be off at 9 and he showed me where the candles and matches were. The next night, the power was shut off without warning at about 8:30 pm. I had to stumble around in the dark without a flashlight to find the candles and matches. Guests should be informed of this weird power situation when making reservations and/or it should be on their website. I'm only 42, but I have poor vision up-close and cannot read by candlelight. The hotel did not provide flashlights, book lights, etc. As there was no TV (I knew this) and the wifi did not work, there wasn't much I could do it the dark. Because of the limited time the power was on, I couldn't even get a full charge on my cell phone.

Hot water - I had none. I tried to take a shower the night I arrived but it was cold (and yes, I let it run for a long time). Since the only person around didn't speak english, I just suffered with a cold shower. After breakfast the next day, I went to see some sites on the island and by the time I got back at 4 pm in the afternoon, again the only person around did not speak english. He was very friendly, but I just didn't want to have to deal with what I assume is a given - guests expect hot water! Plus, I had unpacked and didn't want to have to change rooms.

Housekeeping did not empty the trash. Normally, no problem - except that the plumbing is such on Cozumel that you do not flush used toilet paper but put it in the waste basket. The waste basket did not have a lid and it was not emptied - as you can imagine, it started to smell pretty nasty in there.

I was checking out on a Sunday and it was the day of the Ironman triathlon. The road around the island was being closed and I had to check out by 5 AM! I cannot blame this on hotel management, but they had my cell phone number and email and I was never contacted and informed of this. I wasn't even informed on Friday when I checked in - it was not until Saturday that I was told - too late to find a room at a different hotel. Additionally, because of the hour, breakfast was not provided as I had expected for that room rate. At the very least, some coffee and pastries could have been provided at 5 AM.

Some other things to know - I knew about these things and do not consider them a negative, but some people may. No TV or phones. There is not much on the east side of the island other than beautiful beaches and a few beach bars/restaurants - and what there is, closes at 5 or 6 pm. Town is a fair bit of a drive. No AC, but there was a nice cool breeze that comes through and I did not feel the need for AC.

Management really needs to straighten out the power and hot water situation, or disclose this on their website.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank PSUsnyder
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We have been wanting to stay at this place for a few years. We finally booked a one night stay in April of this year. The view and sound of the waves are amazing. The sight of the folks stumbling down the hill from Coconuts and playing on the beach was entertaining. Lupita and Gary are the best. Gary loves to talk and will give great east side pointers. He even gave us some seashells he found one morning. We only stayed one night but we will be back. I do have to warn you that the wind died down overnight and it got kinda hot in the room even with the doors open. A fan would have been nice but we survived. If you drive into town for dinner and come back after dark the police will stop you. Its no big deal. I just said Ventanas al Mar and they said buenos noches. I'm sure I spelled that wrong but you get the point.

btw, the breakfast was great. The cook/waiter/night guard speaks no english but he is easy to talk to even if you know a very limited amount of spanglish.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ineedasol
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The beauty surrounding Ventanas al Mar is breath taking. From the moment I saw this place, in December of 2009, I knew I couldn't die happy if I never got to stay here. So, in July, my dream came true. And it was amazing--most of the time. On the 4th and final night of our stay, we came 'home' after a dinner in town to find there was no power. We had no candles, no flashlights, and couldn't find any employees to help or to provide any information about the outage (how long? why? etc.). It was pitch black (new moon) and, frankly, a bit scary. Moral of the story: if you stay here, be prepared to rough it, beyond doing without TV or A/C.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank tammyj83
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Fabulous, a place to rest and relax , but bear in mind it is not a 4* hotel. Well worth staying and you MUST do the turtle watching in the late evening (they organise it for you at the hotel, free of charge)
You need a car and next door is Coconuts for food and drink (closes at 7pm) the food there is fine for 1/2 nights

If you visit Cozumel you really should try to stay here for a short break

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family