“Anticipated every need - and then some!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Coral Reef Inn

Coral Reef Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Cozumel B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Anticipated every need - and then some!”
Reviewed 5 March 2007

We stayed at the Coral Reef for 10 days, Christmas thru New Years. As a young couple, it was perfect. There's an amazing kitchen on the first floor so we could cook every meal. The kitchen has everything you would possibly need, including a blender, toaster, knives, all dishes, various pots and pans, an electric fry pan, etc. They even supply those condiments that you wouldn't really want to go and buy just for a few uses, such as ketchup, oil and spices. They keep ice for drinks on hand at all times! There are also coolers you can borrow if you want to make lunch and take it to the beach. They never run out of anything, the trash is dealt with every day and although the kitchen is communal it's spotless and everyone respects the space. The kitchen is "indoor/outdoor", covered with a roof but open on the sides. Despite a couple of days of rain, we stayed dry under the roof. There's also a gas grill! The roof level also has a sunning area with views of the city - we ate breakfast out there every morning!
The second floor has a table with local information and a binder about every restaurant that they recommend - with ACCURATE up to date information. The bookshelves are packed with magazines, books, games, etc. Although the hotel was full when we were there, we never felt crowded or like we had to be shut up in our room. Not that we would have minded!
The room was fairly small and had no proper closet. More space to put folded clothes would have been nice, but I probably overpacked. The bathroom has an amazing shower perfect for two. :-) The towels and sheets are high quality and different colors - a nice homey touch in comparison with the overbleached stiff, thin, white sheets/towels that ordinary hotels will give you. The A/C and ceiling fan kept the room nice and cool. Everything worked perfectly.
Cindy and Scott are Americans, very friendly and easy to talk to. They catered to any need that we had, and were friendly but not at all intrusive. They walked the line of being friendly and respecting your privacy very well - they are incredibly professional and great at what they do. The two times we had them clean the room it was spotless when we came back. Scott even offered to give us a ride to the airport on our day of departure! They held a little new years eve party on the third floor kitchen/roof deck area that was a blast.
You should know that the inn is in a residential section of town and not near all the touristy junk. There is a grocery store (kind of like Mexican wal mart) three blocks away that was easy to navigate. We walked everywhere but cabs will pick you up and actually flag YOU down - you'll never be waiting for a ride.
I highly recommend the Coral Reef Inn!

Stayed December 2006
5 Thank westparismaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed 13 February 2007

SUPERB EXPERIENCE AT THE CORAL REEF INN

I just have to write to tell you all about a wonderful hidden asset in Cozumel, Mexico. My friends and I decided to rent a villa in Cozumel for 11 days. The pictures on the internet were beautiful, but evidently they were nearly eight years old. It was such a blessing that the villa “Casa Mambo” was not available the first night. We stayed with Cindy and Scott at the “Coral Reef Inn” on the first night. Day 2 was our arrival date at the villa. To our horror, the place was so dirty and was inhabitable. We just made a mistake booking on the internet through the individual that owned it named Fred Lewis. We immediately called Cindy and Scott and asked if we could come home. Just like rescuing angels, they arrived in the pick up for our luggage and a cab for four mature ladies. We were so lucky that our room wasn’t booked at the Inn. We spent the next nine nights in the cleanest, nicest place on the island. All of our neighbors were wonderful, also. Just a shout out to John, Leona & Jerry, and Kenneth. We lounged around at the Inn, cooked in the marvelous kitchen on the roof, listened to good music, played cards, and of course, shopped the streets of Cozumel. So, what began as a miserable vacation, turned out to be very clean and comfortable, thanks to our angels, “Scott and Cindy”. If you are looking for an investment, it would be a wonderful place to own. Be sure to inquire about their rates and availability when booking your next vacation.

Sherry Bunn, Judy Hillman, Suzanne Hasler, & Fran Jackson
Rio Grande Travel

• Liked — The hospitality of the American owners.
  • Disliked — Liked it all.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank BellaMO
Radium Hot Springs
Reviewed 9 February 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect as the Coral Reef Inn is a fairly new property we were pleasantly surpirsed. We spent a week at the Inn and had a great time. Staff were friendly and helpful their motto All you have to do is ask
I liked the concept of the Inn as it was designed for privacy or get togethers. The rooms were spotless the towels big and soft. Our room had a small fridge and best of all air conditioning.
The location is handy to all shopping and diving, walk or pay a couple of dollars for a taxi. It was an economical way to vacation because you can cook or you can go out and the restaurants are very reasonably priced.
We have travelled extensively throughtout Mexico and the United States and I can honestly say this experience rates right up there as one of the best. My next visit to Our next visit to the Coral Reef Inn and Cozumel will not come soon enough.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank sunshine59
Griffith, IN
Reviewed 2 February 2007

We vactioned here for 2 months and it was fantastic. We have stayed at many of the other hotels in Cozumel and Coral Reef Inn is by far our favorite. It is an excellent place to stay for a short or extended vacation. The open-air kitchen on the upper level overlooking the neighborhood was fantastic. We were also close enough to the main square, resturaunts, and just minutes away from the grocery store. Scott and Cindy went out of their way to make us feel at home and our stay enjoyable. We are looking forward to going back again. Kathy and Mike

• Liked — laid back atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cookies3201
San Diego
Reviewed 11 January 2007

What a great place to stay! The owners are very cool and laid back. They are there if you need them, but otherwise invisible. Although, do yourself a favor and be sure to let them know what you are looking for on the island. They will be sure to point you in the right direction.

This is virtually a brand new hotel. My friend and I stayed in the dual queen bed room. Very clean room and new comfortable beds. Lots of room to spread out in and modern fixtures in the immaculate bathrooms.

If you are looking for a small, low key, & comfortable place to stay, this is it. Very Diver friendly too!

• Liked — The friendliness and helpfulness of the owners
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
4 Thank PeteSD
Toronto
Reviewed 25 November 2006

This is why I am so glad I booked the Coral Reef Inn for a 2-week dive vacation in November, 2006:
* Scott's thoughtful, detailed emails wherein he addressed my questions and concerns; (I have never been to Cozumel but he took the time to guide me through things like the local dive op, logistical concerns, their location, scheduling, packaging/pricing)
*He picked me up at the airport; this is a real boost when you are a female, travelling solo to an unfamiliar location
*He helped me out with a "check out dive" on the afternoon of my arrival so I could work out kinks like how much weight to add and "is all my equipment functioning?"
*On my first evening in Cozumel enroute to the local grocery store, I was crossing the street when a motorcyclist failed to yield at a stop sign. He hit a bus, the bike and driver flew into the air and the driver decked me. The paramedics soon arrived to take us both to the hospital where I was treated for minor scrapes, cuts, abrasions. Scott followed the ambulance to the hospital and he stayed with me for the duration. He then made sure my prescriptions were filled and brought me back home to recuperate. I felt like one of my own dear, sweet brothers (I have 3) was close by to help me work through a difficult time. While I looked pretty beat up with cuts and bruises, it made for some interesting chats on the diveboat as I told people I got into a barroom brawl over the last corona!! (I don't even drink beer let alone hang out in bars)
*The accommodations were GREAT--lovely, large clean room; gorgeous ensuite bathroom; lots of comfortable lounge areas to enjoy the "sun" or "sombre"; big roomy open-concept kitchen on the top floor; nice collection of books available; excellent info on local restaurants including sample menus, directions, etc. The Coral Reef Inn is situated in a comfortable neighbourhood directly across from a beautiful old church. The grocery store is just a short walk (3, 4 minutes) and you can buy everything there. The dive op is close by, too, a short walk of maybe 8 minutes or, if you feel the need to take a taxi, $2.00. Being a female and travelling on my own, I always felt very safe wherever I walked.
*The local square in San Miguel is also the site for music on several evenings (Wed., Fri. and Sunday). I went there on 3 occasions and it was just delightful (great recommendation from Scott and Cindy)
*The diving in Cozumel is FAB; but the kindness and hospitality I received from Scott and Cindy was very, very special, indeed. Thank you both.
Mucho gracias,
Elaine

• Liked — Immaculate property, small # rooms, comfortable, intimate atmosphere, kind and helpful hosts
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of my trip!
  • Tips/Secrets — In researching trips on the internet, pay special attention to those individuals who take the time to read your emails carefully and answer the questions or concerns that you raise. This is usually an excellent indicator of quality service and quality people.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
7 Thank browneyedscubagirl
Cincinnati
Reviewed 16 November 2006

Let me tell you something... this is one of the most memorable trips I've been on and I give most of the credit to Scott and Cindy at the Coral Reef Inn. From before we left home the hospitality started... this was my first trip to Cozumel... I knew nothing and Scott got us from the airport in Cancun to the inn like we were locals. He even called us by name when we rolled up. They took care of everything... even set up all of our dives. The Inn is wonderfully small (5 rooms) it's like you're staying at a friends house. The rooms are perfect... loved the showers and the beds. On the roof is an open air kitchen that everyone uses... and a rinse tank for your dive gear... how cool! They built the place themselves and didn't miss a thing. If you're fond of hanging out at the pool with a bunch of drunks find another place. But if you want a quiet place to relax between stellar dives... look no further!! The inn is a $2 taxi ride from everywhere... what a deal!! Sooo easy!! Scotts brother was in town while we were there and our last night we all stayed up late and got a little crazy ( really strengthened a father-son bond) unbelievable! That's the kind of hospitality I'm talking about. You don't find that at any price...just good people! I could go on and on... Thanks so much to Scott and Cindy. I can't wait to go back, no doubt where I'll stay. P.S. ask Scott for a ride in his pick-up! Loved it!!

• Liked — All new! The hospitality! Comfortable beds!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Turn the A/C off if you're going to be gone long! Gets real cold!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends