“excellent for divers !”
Review of Villa Aldora

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Villa Aldora
usa
“excellent for divers !”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

the rooms are very clean and spacious . shore diving is extremely easy and nice. the staff are all very accommodating with anything we've needed. free wifi is great. not close to town , but we've never waited for a taxis more than 5-6 minutes when we need to go

Room Tip: we enjoy the big family room called the Cameron room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a joint review of the Villa and Aldora Divers:

Our group of friends has been diving in Cozumel many times over the last 7 years. This is definitely one of the greatest experiences we've had diving and staying on the island. My experience was so overwhelmingly positive, I feel like I should give the two caveats first:

1) Everyone I dealt with here (at both the Villa and dive shop) were amazingly friendly, accommodating, and professional. We would even hang out with others, and some of their neighbors, at the Villa after the dive. The sole exception was Edgar - he was impatient, condescending, and subtly mocked some of the divers. Everything else was so great, I don't want to downgrade my review just for his behavior - but I would avoid him if booking there.
2) They would be great for beginning divers, but more experienced divers will probably get even more out of the experience. For example, diving with Steel 120s means extremely long dive times, but you will be carrying little ditchable weight.

I will ALWAYS try to book with Aldora first when we return to Cozumel. I don't know anywhere else in the region where you regularly have 75 minute dives and a professional staff that caters to every need and is willing to go to any site on the island - even some unique ones not visited by other shops. This experience is further enhanced by staying at the Villa. They have a variety of rooms to suit any size group - from individuals to families that need multiple accommodations and kitchens. The saltwater infinity pool there is excellent for relaxing in the afternoon. It is personal enough that when I arrived I was greeted by name. They keep extra tanks and weights at the Villa, so if you want to do a free night dive or afternoon shore dive you can just jump in and enjoy the excellent reef full of life right in front of the villa. Plus, it is close enough to town to easily right one of the bicycles they provide (again, with no charge) into town for dinner. And the dive boat usually picks you up at your front door every morning. It doesn't get much better than that!

I can't recommend Aldora highly enough, and am looking forward to diving with them and to staying with the excellent hosts at the Villa again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Painiac
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was my second time. There are several sizes and types of accomodations at Villa Aldora. From small one room hotel type room to two story suites.
Both of my trips, I stayed in the Baracuda Suite. This comes with two beds a sitting area, breakfast area (table chairs) and a full size equiped kitcken.
When we arrived there was a kind and small twin bed. The changed the twin out for a nice queen size bed.
There is wifi throughout the Villa and each room has an Internet phone for free calls to the US and Canada.
The Baracuda Suite has a small balcony that is nice to sit and read.
If you are diving and using Aldora Divers, they will normally pick you up at the dock which is literally steps from the room. Should they be using their big boat (Falicity), then you will be taken to town and picked back up or you take a taxi and they pay for the ride.
On arrival, you have to take a shuttle unless you want to walk off the airport property. Taxis can take you to the airport, but can not pick you up at the airport.
When we arrived, Brent (manager) met us, showed us to our rooms, and then took us to town for the diving paperwork. Then he took us to the super market so we could stock up on food and drinks.
There is also diving at the Villa. They keep tanks and weigts there. It is only 12 or so feet, but worth a short dive and a fun place for a night dive. Not spectacular, but easy and lots of critters.
The Villa is about 1.5 miles from town. Taxi rides are $4 - $5 per taxi not per person.
Overall, I will stay here again next trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rmhart839
NYC-- Brooklyn
Reviewed 24 August 2013

MINOR Negative

The ONLY negative I have to share is that it is much more than a one kilometer walk to get to the heart of town and there is nothing around the Villa I am a fast walking New Yorker and it is, at best, twenty-twenty five minutes (or one mile and 1.6 kilometers).

But... if you are considering staying here, it is because of convenience to diving with Aldora Divers and so the distance to town will be less of an issue. And a cab is a quick and cheap phone call away, as is a lot of decent restaurant delivery.

The Many POSITIVES

1. Extremely responsive to all e-mails prior to and after booking.
2. Welcome info packet e-mailed upon booking and is a wealth of good detail about the island.
3. Phone call from Brent, the manager, three days before departure to see if I had any questions or concerns. This is the first time I ever got such a call and was a pleasant surprise.
4. Brent will take you to the bank and supermarket so you can stock your kitchenette and change money.
5. Great, comfortable rooms (though beds hard for my taste) that are immaculately kept.
6. Sunbathing deck, snorkel equipment, and "house reef" just in the water.
7. Dock at the villa where you are picked up for the vast majority of your dives.
8. Inexpensive and good massage services come to the villa upon request.
9. Access to a quality doctor, if needed (minor ear infection).

So if you want a pampering resort type of experience with a large pool... not here at the villa. If you want coziness, convenience, comfort, DIVING, and a charming atmosphere... DEFINITELY the villa.

See related review on Aldora Divers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank EngTeacher
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I seldom use the word "excellent" in describing anything. But this operation is excellent. The Aldora dive operation is the best on the island. There are some very good operators here, but this is best outfit I've experienced, period.
The boat captains and dive masters consistently demonstrate a very high level of situational awareness.
The office and equipment maintenance staff are knowledgable, helpful, and courteous. Memo and his staff are exemplary.

Now to the Villa Aldora. It dates back to the 1950s and is very
well-maintained. It has a laid-back elegance and an intimate ambience that comes from an older place. The Villa and the attendant Aldora dive operation are expertly managed by Brent and Debbie. While the atmosphere is very relaxed, this outfit is very efficiently run.

Often times, the return guests greet the help staff with an "embrazo a la familia."

Many of the guests and divers are long-time returnees who feel they just belong here. How cool is that? Most have interesting stories. I can't wait to get back to this place.

Room Tip: Even the single quarters are spacious and well-equipped.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank FelipeFlyboy
Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 July 2013

From the moment you arrive, Brent and Debbie make you feel like you are visiting your favorite family. They are friendly, helpful, and genuinely great people. Villa Aldora is lucky to have them. I’ll categorize my review below.

Resort: Sets on a pristine snorkeling and shore diving location. Hundreds of fish as well as eels, puffer fish, sea horses, rays, crabs and the occasional turtle and dolphin live in this area. The location could not be better. There are bikes available if you want to go into town, or you can walk…it is less than a mile. Additionally, the managers have recommendations for a reliable taxi service, the ride is $5 into town. The beach is constantly raked and always clean. You will never…NEVER have to get up early to put towels on chairs like you have to do at a larger resort…there is always chairs available.

Room: Sparkling clean…literally. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were amazing. The kitchen is fully stocked and functioning. Brent took us to the MEGA store when we arrived and we got food for breakfast and lunch for the week. The MEGA has everything you could ever want and then some. Like a perfect combination of HyVee, Best Buy, and Walmart…and the prices are equal to what you expect in the states. We stayed in the Barracuda Suite which was perfect for us. Right on the beach and very, very clean. The maids kept it clean all week and always had the room feeling like we were walking in for the first time.

Diving: Aldora Divers is exceptional and picks you up right at the Villa. We felt very safe the entire time and Steve was as patient as a saint with us (we were Discover SCUBA). If you love diving, this is definitely the place to be. Not only out of sheer convenience, but because the Villa is amazing.

Managers: Typically I wouldn’t take the time to comment on this, but Brent and Debbie are exceptional. They really go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need to enjoy your stay. Snorkel or dive gear, towels, etc. Not to mention suggestions for dinner, things to do on a day off from diving, places to see, etc. They truly make this place special.

Bottom Line: I have no idea why anyone would stay anywhere else. We’ll be back…

Room Tip: The Barracuda Suite was perfect for us. Very clean and right on the beach. Though if you desire mo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wintertraveler2005
New England
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Brent and Debbie, managers of Villa Aldora, made my stay more than just a dive vacation. Starting with Brent's call to me in the US before I left home and ending with Debbie's email after I has left Cozumel, they thought of everything to make diving with Aldora a pleasure.

I had never really considered diving on Cozumel, but now I can't wait to return - but only if Brent and Debbie are on the premises. The convenience of the Aldora Divers' boat meeting me on the Villa dock each morning eliminated the need for a car, and the divemasters, especially Dario, Steve, and Adrienne really know their profession.

Villa Aldora and Aldora Divers are an unbeatable team.

• Stayed July 2013