I am a Royal Club Repeat Guest:
I always enjoy staying here; much cheaper than the Presidente Intercontinental which I tried many years ago. I've stayed at the Occidental Grand resort some 4-5 years now, this trip for a week.
As mentioned by other reviewers, Ms. Nelly who is the primary person to work with at the Royal Club, is a gem and always makes a sincere effort to make your stay perfect. Staying in the Royal Club only costs a little more than the other buildings, and it's worth it: A very nice private restaurant for all three meals if you want, and now WiFi is free (it used to cost an arm-and-a-leg!) With that said, I found the WiFi signal spotty or a weak signal sometimes but considering its now free/included, it wasn't a significant issue. They also have a small, private pool if you desire more quiet-time away from the other larger pools, as well as an exclusive computer to check email near your room.
I find other comments about ground-floor rooms being too humid and musty (more than upper levels) somewhat flawed. During this trip I requested a ground floor room and the AC worked quite well, especially since they also have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, almost directly above the bed. I do not find the beds to be "too hard" to sleep on (mentioned by a few previous commentators), and I've slept on many.
If you scuba dive, this is the place! I try to scuba dive 1-2 times a day and the on-site dive shop (Dive Palancar) is at the top in service and diving options.
IMO, this is a great resort if you have children who are aged ~14 years or older; plenty for young adults to do; having infants or very young children may be problematic.
For some reason, I never get hit-up by the time-share staff; how I manage to avoid the sales pitch every time I stay here is beyond me, but I know they've been pushing their time-share program for years (I am not a time share member).
It's been several years since the hurricane hit the island and the because time has passed since then, the resort's landscaping is lush and well-maintained; the staff is constantly pruning, trimming and cleaning.
Just a few things on this trip which were not what I was used to from previous visits to this resort (This should NOT be a deal-breaker for you, so take these as minor observations):
- Pool bar closest to the beach: Ran out of drink cups (plastic glasses) on several occasions throughout my stay; the sole bartender had to leave many times to obtain clean glasses, leaving guests standing in a long line waiting for the bartender to return.
- The Royal Club housekeeping staff used to fold/prepare a towel in the shape of a tropical animal or bird, and place it on your bed once they cleaned the room and made the bed; fresh flowers used to be placed in several location throughout the room/bathroom and/or on the bed; they did neither of these during my 7-day stay. It was a nice touch on previous visits.
- Survey: Strangely, I received the resort's survey email the day I arrived, rather than at the end of my visit, or shortly after the trip ended.
- The Royal Club's pool: Ran out of pool towels very early in the morning every day I was there; I did not observe them being replenished later on in the morning or afternoon by the staff; once they were out of towels in the early AM, no more towels for the rest of the day.
Some closing thoughts:
- Men: Don't forget to bring one pair of long pants and closed shoes for their specialty dinner restaurants; this attire is obligatory for dinner except at the buffet-style location. Some guests try to sneak in wearing shorts. And by men that includes all ages: male kids must also abide by this attire standard of long pants and closed foot apparel (no shorts or flip flops/sandals for men).
Stay here! Even with some minor quirks, I really enjoy this resort and will return for a future visit.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Barcelo, Travel Republic (UK) and Agoda so you can book your Royal Level at Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Club At Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Royal Hotel