I can't believe that there are 18 better hotels on Cozumel. I think many reviewers place their reviews on the Occidental Grand site rather than the Royal Club and this might be dragging down the average score for the Royal Club.
I have three gripes about the place, and they apply to the whole hotel, rather than just to the Royal Club.
1. The air conditioning in the rooms is much too loud, although we did get used to it.
2. The lobby bar is a bit tatty and has a stale smell that seems to linger.
3. Dinner in the buffet restaurant is poor. The food was only warm and the choice was not great. The room is also lacking air conditioning. In our opinion this restaurant is way below the standard at other similar hotels we have visited. Fortunately we only ate there once.
Otherwise, this is a lovely place to go to relax. If you want lots of activities and late night activity, however, this is probably not the place for you.
The Royal Club has a very private feel about it.
Dinner in the a la Carte restaurants was always very nice. The Royal Club restaurant was by far the best, but the other two were pretty good too. The Pizza restaurant has shut.
The staff at this hotel are great, very friendly and always helpful. The stand out service was in the Royal Club Restaurant.
The beach is nice but snorkeling in the sea was a bit disappointing, although we saw a couple of barracuda and some rays. We went on two snorkeling trips, once with the onsite Palancar Diving, and once with Alberto's, which is just along the beach to the South.
Wildlife around the hotel was a real joy too. The turkey buzzards that soar around and occasionally sit on the domes of the buildings; the very chirpy and loud small black birds, and some humming birds too. We also nearly trod on a couple of scorpions, and a couple of snakes, on the path to dinner in the evenings - not threatening, you just need to look where you are going. There was an armadillo that didn't seem to mind a line of us taking flash photos whilst it was digging for food. The best creatures, however, were the many iguanas that laze around the hotel, particularly around the quiet pool, where sometimes they even basked on the sun beds!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Barcelo, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK) and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Level at Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Club At Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Royal Hotel