“Disappointing on return visit”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This was my 5th visit to the Aura Cozumel Resort (Jan. 2013 for 5 nights). The resort recently was taken over by Secrets and the resort expanded to include people from the Sabor next door. The Aura "use" to be small and quiet. Now it is crowded with not enough help, especially in the restaurants. The beach area is busy as well. The staff is overworked but tried to be very helpful. I doubt I will return to this resort. Too bad, it was a favorite of mine

Room Tip: Choose a room that has an ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank DenaPittsburghPA
Write a ReviewReviews (3,930)

Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay in Cozumel, my third time in MX. Before this, I stayed at Akumal Beach Resort and Bahia Principe Tulum in the Mayan Riviera. Aura is very nice, it is adults only so we didn't have to worry about kids running around annoying everyone.

When we first arrived there was a discrepancy with our rooms...we were promised ocean view but were assigned pool side...eventually this was sorted out...

The food AT THE RESTAURANTS was delicious, but it took a long time to get everything. The restaurants serve food a la carte so its important to order an item from each section of the menu....

Room service took a while, and almost every time our order was messed up.

Drinks were made strong (which is great because lots of all inclusive places make them weak.)

Most of the staff was friendly, except at times I felt unwelcome...I'm not sure if it was because they remembered how pissed my Dad was day 1 with our room problem...but all in all it was nice.

I would love to post pics, but New Years Eve I ordered room service and the gentleman who brought me my order robbed me. I stayed up until 5 am with a security guard who was no help at all, I'm certain he was in on the whole thing, and nothing was ever done about it.

My iPhone 4S was taken off the table in my room when I turned my head to give the young man a tip...

I've tried to be in contact with the resort regarding the stolen phone, but havent heard a response as of yet. I know I won't get it back, but an apology would have been nice. Even if I knew Juan lost his job so no one else would be robbed by him would be refreshing....but I'm sure that hasn't happened.

Next time I go ill probably go back to Bahia Principe in the Riviera Maya again...I'd just visit Cozumel for a day...it is a gorgeous island...

If you stay here, you may have a better experience. It had only been opened for a couple weeks when I went so there is a chance by the time you go the service will be improved. Word of advice? Don't let room service in your room. Keep everything locked away and trust NO ONE.

• Stayed: December 2012
11  Thank ecoop86
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Good location. Even though the hotel is not near the city center, it is very accessible by rented jeep or taxi. The beach is beautiful and lots of water activities. The rooms are nice ( loved the stocked refridgerator) but I would definitely upgrade to a swim up suite which has its own pool leading to a main pool. The staff are friendly and helpful but the service in the restaurants is VERY slow. Food is average to good ( my favorite being the Italian restaurant at the sister resort) and portions are small. Great tip - don't forget to bring bug spray for outdoors at night.

Room Tip: Request a swim up suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Nadia T
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Francisco, Antonio, Deigo, Cameron, Alora, Mariana, we miss you all!!! Each and every one of you made our trip for our anniversary amazing!!! We didnt realize that we would be here while they would be doing the change over to SECRETS AURA, but still. This trip was the best trip we have ever done. Definatly one that we could have never even left the hotel. We are considering getting a room on the first floor next time so we can just swim out of our room, but really that is all that we would change. The smiles on the faces of the people that we are mentioning, are the people that we came home feeling as though we left family back in Cozumel. Oh, by the way... if you are wondering about Hawaii vs. Cozumel like I was, save yourself the stress... Come here, and you will never notice a differance, except that you had all your food and top shelf drinks included. The water is beautiful, warm, I dont like cold, cool, or any of the like, we were here in December, and I wore a shorty the 1st day to check it out, but never again during my visit. The service is great, the rooms are beautiful, the food is fabulous. Go for it, you wont regret it, but find a flight direct into Cozumel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jonzn2Travel
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My husband and I stayed from Dec 30 to Jan 6 in a Jr Suite Pool View, which as far as I can tell is the old exclusive part of Sabor which is all Aura Secrets now. I will try to give a fair review as I had been anxious when reading reviews before our departure.

The good: The beach is beautiful, there are no kids and the drinks are very strong. We had a very clean room that looked like it may have been recently renovated -- paint seemed new, all appliances were clean and no leaking, the A/C was great. There was NO construction around us, very quiet and peaceful, I didn't see any construction other than the gym area. The maids cleaned our room everyday , stocked the fridge, it was perfect. Very comfortable beds. The hot tubs at sky bar were hot and the view amazing! All of the staff we spoke to were very kind. The property was clean and check in and check out- all very smooth.

The bad: The food! The food is horrible. I have been all over the place and lived abroad. I have eaten on a budget and also shelled out for fancy food. If the food were just bland or boring, I could've lived with it for a week. I don't know if it was the holiday or what, but the room service food (other than pancake breakfast) is awful! If I were to give Secrets a tip: stick to what you're good at, maybe local cuisine and seafood? A "pizza" with summer sausage and unmelted velveeta cheese with a burnt cracker crust is not a pepperoni pizza. The lamb and lobster and dessert for the NYE dinner was not good. We also got horribly sick and missed our non refundable trip to Chichen Itza, I am still not 100% and that was five days ago. There were a few other people who were sick as well. We ended up going to the little gift shop and buying Ritz crackers and Snickers for the last 2 days. Also be very careful of the dress code, it's not explained very well. Guys need pants for dinner at Windows & Bordeaux, I'm still not sure what the dress code was for women but I wore a dress and sandals and was fine. My tip for the food: order the simple items. Hava Grill during the day, which is Oceana at night, has the best food. The pancakes and French toast were good for breakfast.

Overall, I am really glad we got a great deal on Travelocity (very easy booking and smooth, FYI). Secrets now advertises $3500 for 7 night stay... Heck no! Not with that food!

If you want to Snorkel with a cool local, check out Cozumel H2O. She will pick you up dockside at Aura and only takes 4-6 people at a time and she knows EVERYTHING! Highlight of our trip! Starfish, sharks, beautiful coral and small group of people with a great guide. She also does dives and certifications.

I would give Secrets a second chance, but only after waiting to see if the food reviews get better.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank La_Boheme3
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked our New Year's week vacation in October with the knowledge that Secrets would be taking it over in December. Reading negative reviews had us concerned, but from the moment we arrived, we found the entire staff eager to please. We had a third floor room at the back of the property overlooking the Secrets pool. It was very quiet, and while there was nothing special about the room, everything functioned as needed (and who wants to spend time in their room instead of the beautiful beach and pools?). The first night we had room service, which was delivered cold. After that, we dined in the restaurants, Windows, Oceana, Bordeaux, and Portofino (the Italian restaurant at Sabor). We also took advantage of the walk-up snack bar at Sabor. We found the food to be excellent. While service is slow, it didn't take us long to appreciate the meaning of being on "island time." What's the rush? There is great beach people watching while you wait, and lots of new friends to meet. Twice we were turned away at Bordeaux, but both times we were able to get past the hostess, as there were plenty of empty tables. We went to Portofino at about 10:30 and again they tried to turn us away initially, but we were seated and service was very fast. Tip: don't take no for an answer, just be nice about it and you'll get a table. We enjoyed great massages just down the beach at Carlos and Charlies of all places. It was 1/3 the cost of the beach massage at Secrets, and a fun experience. We rented a car for $150 for the week and it was more than worth it--we could tour the island and go shopping at will. Tip: if you drive, be sure to take pesos for the parking meters downtown, or park on a side street. It cost us $20 to get the lock removed from our tire. The Sky Bar above the lobby has two hot tubs, where we met a lot of fun people. Perfect for a drink after the beach and before showering for dinner. The grounds were impeccably maintained and the entertainment staff, especially Jordan, are wonderful. Daily volleyball matches in the Secrets pool were a blast. The events at Secrets are low key, but if you want to dance, sing, and party, Sabor has them. Fine by us, as it kept Secrets on the quiet side. We loved the low key, laid back week we spent at Secrets Aura and the Cozumel pace. Next time, we'll bring our dive gear!

Room Tip: Avoid lobby rooms, as there is construction going on (looks like they are adding fitness and expandi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We understood when we booked that the resort was only recently added to the "Secrets" line of resorts and that perhaps we should not expect the level of service available at other Secrets. However, the level of service was so poor as to be shocking. Secrets should have made a much greater effort to bring this resort up to the standards their customers expect before branding it as one of their line of resorts. Very disapointing and definitely misleading. (And yes, they will try to sell you a time share although with what they have on offer it is hard to imagine who would possibly be convinced to buy in there).

The resort seemed to have geared up for New Years, after that things went downhill fast (food, service, etc.) The hotel is definitely still under construction - expect to hear loud noise constantly during the day. Expect to wait an hour for meals as other reviewers have noted. Some of the staff were wonderful and helpful, others were unhelpful or conniving. (Many of the best staff members seemed to never leave? Perhaps they have lost staff in change over and remaining staff are overworked...)
On the plus side, we had a wonderful deep sea fishing experience, set up by the staff at the dive shop.
It costs much less to rent a vehicle off site even with the cab ride to get there. I recommend Less Pay (local company).
The island is beautiful and worth the trip but you can get better food, service, and ambiance elsewhere without paying an "all-inclusive" price since what was included in this resort was hardly worth having. Will not stay again and will certainly not recommend to others..

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple