“Great place to relax.”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Ada
“Great place to relax.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Very clean and comfortable rooms with great views. The food was great with good portion sizes in order to enjoy a five course meal and not feel uncomfortable. The entertainment staff, (Julio, Adrian, and Jose) really go the extra mike to make sure you are having a good time while spending time at the resort. Marucio and Juan are excellent bar tenders at the Manitee Bar. Many times we would be across the pool from the bar and they would walk over to us tosee if we needed anything before our current drink was even empty. The selection of booze was about a B, and the selection of beer was a C. Don't get me wrong, they had plent of it, I was just a little sick of Dos Equixx and Bohemia after seven days.
All in all a great trip with helpful and fun staff.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Construction and poor service made this resort a disappointment. For new travelers, this may be an ok trip but for the seasoned all inclusive crowd-this resort is a total miss. Service was poor to so-so. Took forever to get the basics (i.e.-water at lunch). Construction noise was annoying but not unbearable. Attention to detail was lacking-ex.no hair dryer in the room (took an hour to obtain one), mini bar was not restocked with water and soft drinks daily, service at lunch was slow without attention. Overall, not a place I would recommend-with or without construction.

4 Thank Ivan D
SeaczEconcierge, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Ivan D.
we apologize that you did not enjoyed your stay with us, we actually don´t have construction, our resort has a section under renovation but I am happy to announce that is almost done and noise is not an issue anymore.
As per your other comments I have addressed your concerns to our General Manager, he is aware about your review and had discussed with our operations team.
Hopefully you can give us a second chance and stay with us in a near future so you can see our improvements,
sincerely
Milton Ocampo
Sales Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

On our recent cruise, my travel buddy and I decided to get away from the rest of our shipmates and have a nice day at Secrets Aura Cozumel. It was easy to arrange a day pass for each of us through the sales team's Justine. I'm usually out on the dive boats when I make it to Cozumel, but as a travel professional, I really wanted to experience Secrets' new resort.
Once off the ship, it was a quick taxi ride over to the resort where we were met with glasses of champagne and chilled towels. Sign in process was quick and Justine met us soon after for a short tour of the resort. It's a beautiful bright resort. The grounds are clean and modern looking. I especially loved how some of the penthouse suites had rooftop decks with private pools. The rooms and bathrooms looked clean and fresh, and while the resort was in the middle of adding some new room blocks, there didn't seem to be much construction noise.
After the short tour, we walked down the beach to scope out the sister property, Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, before staking our claim on some beach chairs for the day. These were nice wooden beach chairs with thick padding...not the cheap plastic and mesh kind that many lesser resorts use. Drinks throughout the day were pretty good and had us feeling alright. We stuck to the fruity frozen concoctions and they were not watered down.
While on the beach, some lovely ladies from the spa came by to tell us about spa services and the daily specials. They even gave us a short teaser massage and it was wonderful! It left me wishing I was going to be there long enough to take advantage of a full one.
We also really enjoyed snorkeling right offshore. Even within the buoys, there is still a lot of fish to see. For divers, this resort makes it easy to book your dive trips with either their in house dive shop or several other dive operators that will pick you up from the dock.
Our last agenda item of the day was some lunch before we had to leave to get back to the ship. This is where that 1 star was knocked off.... We sat down in the restaurant (Windows) about 1.5 hours before we needed to get in our taxi and thought that would be plenty of time. We even figured we might have time for a last dip in the pool. We each ordered an appetizer and an entree. Appetizers came out quickly, in addition to some homemade tortilla chips and guacamole. My salad was great. It had a nice hibiscus vinaigrette as well as some mango and brie. My friend's app was great as well. It was chicken wrapped in a sheet of pasta with a tasty sauce. The chips were good too, and while the guac really seemed like it was just mashed avocado with a little salt and lime, we definitely enjoyed it. Then we waited....and waited....and waited. The waiter came by several times saying our entrees would be out shortly, and we kept looking at our watches. About 15 minutes to our deadline for leaving the resort, I flagged down the waiter and told him our situation. He nodded and rushed off to the kitchen to check on our dishes. 10 minutes later, we had our food..with only 5 minutes left to scarf it down. Luckily, the waiter was nice enough to ask the front desk to call our cab for us while we ate. The food was good and came out hot. I had some steak tacos and my friend had the burger. The flavors were really very good, I just wish I would have had more time to enjoy it. At any rate, we got up and into our waiting taxi and back to the cruise ship with plenty of time.
We both really enjoyed our day at Secrets. I've been to several all-inclusive resorts, but this was a first for my friend...and I know it was good because she wants to return with her husband in the near future!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ThreeWishesAmy
Dyersville, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We have only been home from Cozumel for 3 hours and I am trying to figure out our next visit!
This was our 2nd trip to Aura in less that 1 year. In April we celebrated our 25th Anniversary at Aura and loved it so much we returned in December.
Check-in was much smoother this time around. We were able to get our rooms before 2pm.
The rooms are great. Friends that were traveling with us were not happy with their swim-out. They let the staff know and were immediately moved to a room where they were MUCH happier.
Bar service around the pool was slow some days, but if Arelly and Zalily are working your glass will not go empty for long. These girls are THE BEST!!! We missed them on their day off.
The food was always great. Service is slow....you are on vacation! Relax and enjoy your company. The food was always worth the wait.
The night life has picked up which made up very happy. Desires is a great addition to the resort! We had some late nights there.
The best part of this resort was seeing the staff that remembered us from 7 months ago. Marina remembered my husband. We saw our most favorite waiter Jorge for just a few minutes late one night while we were walking around the resort. It felt like we were seeing a long lost friend again!!!
Jesus in the preferred club was so nice to let us hang out and watch the Bears game on Monday night....he also got my husband a bit drunk with his Jack and Frescas! Jose in Desires remembered my husbands drink every time we stopped in and had it ready for him. Jordan and Julio did great keeping everyone active whether it was dancing at Desires or playing pool volleyball.
I was able to snorkel every day at the resort. There is a big assortment of fish and it was so convenient to get the free equipment from the friendly folks at the dive shop. We also did a snorkeling tour with the Palacar. They pick you up at the pier on the resort and take you to 3 reefs! They are so friendly and want you to see as much as possible. My husband is not a snorkeler but it was a glass bottom boat so he saw almost as much as we did...but he got to drink beer while he was doing it!
All in all this was the best vacation we have taken and we have done all inclusive 5 times. We will definitely visit Aura again!

Room Tip: Junior suites are great!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank iowatrav69
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We just got back from our trip to Cozumel for our Honeymoon. This was our first trip to a vacation destination, and we enjoyed ourselves for the most part :).

We booked through Air Canada vacations and they were amazing. Our AC representative met us at the airport and set us up with a van to the resort. Unfortunately we ended up sitting in the half full van for over 30 minutes waiting for it to fill up (they seemed not to want to leave without every seat being occupied, even though vans came an went half or less full in the spot next to ours. It might not have been so annoying if we hadn't been travelling for over 12 hours through the night and just wanted to rest...

We were the first stop so that was good and the driver was excellent. When we walked up the hotel staff handed us some nice cold face cloths (much needed after travelling from -20 Edmonton to +25 Cozumel!) and we waited in the open lobby for only a few seconds before going up to the desk to check in. We booked a "preferred suite" so we had to wait for the preferred concierge to come down and get us. He was very friendly and we sat in the nice air conditioned lounge while he ran through everything. Dina was introduced to us as well, I believe she is the Secrets representative... she gave us a few coupons for some of the add on's like bottles of wine and dinner on the beach but most of these things came with our honeymoon package so we did not use them but others might. She was very nice and very helpful.

We got to our rooms and it was really nice. Not as nice as I had pictured (but as an Interior Designer I'm definitely too picky), my hubby loved it. The view was beyond amazing that's for sure. We were in an Ocean view Solarium with an uninterrupted view of the ocean and a 20' lap pool up a set of stairs. We kind of assumed there was privacy up there for sun bathing etc, but during the days some hotel staff some would walk across the ceilings and patios to get to the pools to clean them or do any rooftop maintenance, so just remember that ;). In the evenings though it was great. We had a flower arrangement in our room and fresh fruit (three apples?) and a honeymoon sign on the door (which was nice :)).

Our AC representative (Manuel) had asked us to meet him in the resort lobby later that evening so he could run through the resort with us, but we were exhausted from travelling/resort tour etc and fell asleep. We met up with him the next day and were glad we did, he was great and booked us an island tour and a snorkeling tour.

We didn't use much of the preferred club amenities, the lounge was always empty and we aren't big drinkers, and the preferred pools were nice but small and always packed with people, plus the main pool had a beautiful ocean view which the preferred ones did not.

The food was not the best. We had a couple really good meals, but the rest were so-so. We are a bit foodie so we might be a bit picky in that arena as well. Windows we enjoyed their breakfast and the servers were so nice. Oceana lunch did not impress up though. However we rarely ate lunch anyways so it was a draw. We ate at Windows, El Patio (at the Sister resort Sabor), and Bordeaux for dinner over the week, and had a romantic dinner on the beach. The beach dinner was the best meal we had. It was amazing, and the portions were larger than we needed (for us anyways). I wish all our meals could have been that good. We also enjoyed our dinner at Windows. El Patio was ok, we were hoping for a bit more authentic Mexican and it was quite watered down, but it was still yummy. Bordeaux was surprisingly my least favorite. I was a bit ill the day we went so that may not have helped my opinion... my small salad was amazing but my meal was horrible. I could hardly eat the meat. It was pure fat, I couldn't find a piece without a huge chunk of fat on it. My hubby's duck was just ok, quite dry.

The other real let down was room service. We ordered it a lot in the last couple days since I was sick and couldn't walk down stairs, our orders were consistently wrong and often cold. I ordered a the sandwich with turkey, lettuce, tomato and pesto mayo with mashed potatoes. I got ham on a bare bun with a piece of lettuce, no condiment to speak of and cold undercooked fries. The eggs benedict we got did not have hollandaise (it was almost like a sabayon... frothy and alcoholy and looked like it was cooked under a broiler), we had a couple other mishaps but it was delivered in the promised time and the dishes collected quickly.

The staff are just amazing though. All of the concierges, the bell boys, the bartenders, wait staff, maids, and spa people were superb and very friendly, very helpful. We only had one incident where we had a drip coming from our ceiling (from under the pool which freaked us out) we had a maintenance person come in, look at it and say he'd be back in 5 minutes but never came. The drip did go away after a couple days though so no harm done. Our mini bar not get filled properly on 3 separate days, and the beach waitress sometimes took our orders and then never brought us our drinks, but it was usually for waters. When I ordered Margaritas she brought me doubles and they were delicious. I also got ill halfway through the trip and was in a lot of pain so had to call a doctor, they put me through right away and he came over within 20 minutes. He worked miracles and I managed to enjoy my last day there quite well.I wish I had called faster instead of suffering!

We had a body scrub and massage at the spa and it was top notch. They don't tell you to bring a bathing suit though and you should if you want to fully enjoy the free sauna and jacuzzi! I have sensitive skin and the scrub did not irritate it, and the massage was great though if you don't like a very firm massage I would suggest telling them to go very light! I enjoyed mine. They pamper you like no ones business.

The island tour was nice though I wish we had more time at the Mayan Ruins and the beach. We did not get to snorkel since I was sick, but they did refund us.

We were asked to sit through a sales presentation for the Secrets resorts, not really like a time share, more like a club where you pay a membership fee and have access to all these great vacation deals. We sat through it since it sounded interesting and we got 50$ in resort money, so why not. Unfortunately it really is QUITE expensive... and this being our first trip anywhere we did not feel like we could commit. I wish they had told us the price stuff earlier on in the presentation, and we wouldn't have wasted the whole presentation at least. If you've got a some extra cash and love to travel, its not might be a good fit but it was not for us.

We were told by one of the staff that this is the newest of their resorts and so they are working out a few bugs with service etc as they bought this property and did not build it.

The beds were not great. I am still having neck issues from the super plush bed and giant pillows. Most nights I slept without one since you sink into the bed so much.

There was construction during the week but it did not bother us much, especially out on the beach, you couldn't hear it.

Be sure to bring lots of cash and tip well. I wish we had brought more and tipped better. As it was we were Canadians dealing with American money and were unsure how much to tip etc.

All in all a good Honeymoon. We would probably try this resort again (maybe not in preferred since we don't use the amenities much) or perhaps another Secrets resort or other place on the island - it is such a beautiful island.

Room Tip: The ocean view solariums have a great view as they are all on the top floor, the corner suites with...
3 Thank Karen L
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at Secrets Aura Cozumel the week before Thanksgiving. Several people have commented that the resort is currently undergoing a remodel and that the noise of the construction was bothersome. Frankly, we were not bothered by the noise. They did not work at night, and even though our room was close to the new building area we enjoyed our stay very much. The resort does need some work, in terms of painting, and small upgrading, but other things really trumped those issues for us. The service was SUPERB. In every way, the staff made our stay great.

The food was very nicely presented. The portions were a perfect size so that a five course meal could be consumed, enjoyed and one could still walk away not feeling overstuffed. The house wines available at dinner were good and we never felt we needed to order a special bottle. There was a very handy coffee shop near our rooms, which was open from about 7 am – 10 pm, with excellent coffee choices and also pastries, sandwiches or desserts, depending on time of day.

The beach at Secrets was clean, with plenty of beach chairs and towels. The pier was also nice – easy for boarding boats for snorkeling, scuba, fishing, etc… We booked several such trips during our stay and each tour provider arrived on time and provided a good service.

Our room was very nice. We had ocean view-swim-up rooms. The rooms were large with great seating areas. Each room had a large patio area with a big bed and pillows for lounging. One could simply step off the patio and into the ‘lazy river’, which wound around to the main pool. Floats were available for use in the pool. Each room had a whirlpool tub and big tiled shower.
We had rented a car for the trip. There was a very convenient parking area not far from our room. The resort also had valet parking.

Drinks were easy to get, and included top shelf liquor. Waitresses came around frequently to take drink and food orders from guest at the pool and beach.

Our daughter had a slight medical issue during the trip. She needed an anti-biotic. Yared, at the front desk, was able to make a phone call, and get the meds delivered to the resort within 45 minutes. We were amazed and thankful.

We will definitely consider Secrets Aura for future vacations. The service was amazing and made the trip comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ELEMENTALMadison
Thornton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I stayed for 6 days, 5 nights on our Honeymoon.

Getting there:
First things first we booked transportation to and from the airport with the resort- drive to the Aura was a little less than stellar. (We didn't opt for "private" transport and got crammed in a van taxi with 12 other people- talk about car sick).

Staff was all very friendly and accommodating when we got there. Check in was smooth and we were showed to our room with our bags. Since it was our honeymoon they had a banner on the door. The "Fresh Fruit" for the honeymoon "package" was red apples only...ick.

Service:
Tuesday through Thursday morning- service staff was great, attentive and while a little slow- nothing was lacking.

Thursday evening...it a appeared a huge group had checked in and service went down hill fast (not to mention this group was obnoxious, loud and very drunk). Friday service was definitely the worst. Bar tenders were less attentive, service staff was reeeealllllyyyy slow and a lot of the staffed seemed very put-upon. The resort was pretty quiet Friday night and Oceana was barely half full. Our waiter grunted at us, more than once. Drinks were constantly empty and he was no where to be found for most of our meal.

Thursday and Friday the pool area was left totally trashed. (By group that checked in on Thursday). There was water left all over the pool deck, towels left everywhere and stuff had been thrown in the pool. Staff made zero effort to clean this up until next morning. (Try walking in slippy sandals through a POOL of water on the deck with wet tiles everywhere).

Shout out to Marianna at Windows- she was lovely every morning and always had a smile on her face.

Food:
With 3 restaurants- food gets old fast. (We were told we could go over to the Sunscape but one of the restaurants was closed over there and some other guests said to not waste our time since the buffet wasn't worth it). Salads were terrible across the board. Portions are small, but if you order from everything (app, soup/salad, entree, dessert)- we never felt like we didn't get enough to eat. Breakfast was the hardest for us- Windows is the only place to eat and my husband is allergic to eggs so...almost nothing for him but fried food/meat.

The Room:
Over all the room was fine. Have I stayed in nicer places- you betcha. Have I stayed in worse places- you betcha. Several not so stellar things: TV went out on more than one occasion (and when you are sick-which I was on Saturday- there isn't much to do but watch TV). There was some sort of power outage, we had to hike all the way back up to the front desk to get our key card reset after breakfast one morning...which was just inconvenient. Shower temp fluctuated wildly during shower and on three separate occasions the water stopped coming out completely. Our fridge didn't get stocked one day and there were ants in the bathroom.

Over all:
Was there construction noise- a little but it was mostly unnoticeable where we were.
Food was decent (not five star but there were some good things to be eaten). Drinks were good and if you ask they will make them a little stronger for you.
Service over all was great and for the most part everyone tries very hard to make you feel welcome and taken care of.
Would we come back- yes but we would book suite on the ocean side next time.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view/ocean side pool swim up rooms. These rooms looked much nicer.
2 Thank Alix R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,603 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!