“Mediocre at best.”

Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Memphis, Tennessee
“Mediocre at best.”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon arrival, check in was a slow process. This set the tone for all of the services at this resort. Extremely slow food service, bar service, room service etc. the one redeeming factor was the huge balcony on our suite and the amazing view. We went for a beach vacation and the beach was perfect. However I would not recommend this resort because of the service. The food was decent, not the best but palatable.
We did take the hour and a half sales pitch. Only to find out that this particular secrets was not up to par with other properties the company owns and that we basically paid too much for our trip. Rude.
The spa is wonderful so I will give them that. But all in all I would not go back.

2 Thank Merry1traveling
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Merry1traveling

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We are glad to know that yuo enjoyed the location and beach.

We have taken your comments very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

With this said, we look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence our resort and service.

Kind reagards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,401)
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2014

(The following review was written while I was still at the resort in February of this year. I didn't immediately post, but have decided to do so now. So, understand that the situation may have improved in the last couple months.)

First off, let me explain my perspective and background. I am currently staying at my 11th different all-inclusive resort. The most recent stays have been at various AM resorts (since we have bought into the UV club a couple of years ago), but I have stayed at multiple other brands and locations. I have never felt the compulsion to sit down and write a review until now. I have always thought that those who posted their complaints on these tropical beauties were just whiners, and were never happy. I have always thought that the stay is what you make it, and there are so many good things to focus on ...how could you care about a few minor occassional issues. However, as a service to those who are deciding which resort to spend their hard earned money at... I am listing the pros and cons of Aura Secrets in Cozumel. Please know that I feel lucky to be sitting in front of a beautiful Caribbean ocean view while I am typing this and I realize the drawbacks I will describe sound pathetic if I were home, working overtime and dealing with snow.

First the WONDERFUL Positives
I am not home shoveling...and the weather is gorgeous
I have a beautiful view of multiple shades of bright blue Caribbean water.
The resort has a pier I can walk out on, climb down a ladder and swim with all kinds of fish
Every dish I have been served in different restaurants has been presented with style and artistry
The staff was nice enough to move us into an huge ocean front room that we can walk right onto the beach from (we are in the Vacation Club and receive an upgrade if available)
The staff is very, very friendly, courteous, and helpful
There are multiple pretty pools.
The rooms are huge, modern, and extremely comfortable
Our room is constantly stocked with drinks, alcohol, snacks and extra toiletries such as toothpaste and sunscreen
There are multiple ocean-front dining options
Drinks are excellent
The bathroom has a large soaking tub and huge walk in shower with rain shower head and hand held shower head
There are plenty of water sport options included and no shortage of equipment
No sea grass in the water or on beach as some Rivera Maya resorts.
Excellent food, service and ambience at the Bordeaux
The resort layout features multiple ocean front dining options

Negatives

It is virtually impossible to walk into the ocean from the beach area due to rocks without water shoes.
The walkway along the beach area connecting resort areas consists of a very user unfriendly walkway of rectangles uneven pavers. Not a good option if you have any mobility or vision deficits. I just watched an older gentleman fall or trip on the path landing hard on a concrete paver in front of him.
There is a shortage of lounge chairs at the pool and beach. The resort is at 100% capacity, but if capacity is 400-there should be 400 chairs. There is not.
There is a major shortage of shade options at the pool and beach. Just this week they added a few umbrellas to one pool.
Because of the chair shortage the worst "comes out" in humans...greed and ignorance. Despite posted signs explaining courteous behavior, it is the standard for the hoards of rude people to reserve chairs in mass starting at daylight. 3 mornings in a row a man has reserved 14 chairs together at the pool. They are not filled with butts until 10:30 or 11:00.The same happens consistently, but on a smaller scale at the beach daily. Because we refuse to sink to this level, we could only find one "unreserved" lounge chair on the beach area this morning at 7:45. We are up early and watch this behavior start at 5:45 a.m. Now, 5 hours later, I can see some of these chairs have yet to be used. Many ground level rooms have had lounge chairs drug up onto their decks where they stay day and night. This morning, I listened to a guest tell somebody (on the phone) that has yet to arrive, that there isn't enough chairs - you have to get out early to mark your chair if you want one. I know this is normal behavior from self centered visitors, but somebody from the resort should be enforcing the signs that tell people not to be hoarders. We have stayed in other Secrets resorts where the staff did remove towels and personal items if unattended for a long period.
Bartenders are not unfriendly, but not as friendly has other resorts within this same brand. They seem overworked and a little stressed. They are usually working alone. Probably why martini drinks served are served in plastic margarita glasses during evening. (Sky Bar)
The breakfast buffet is very small in comparison to every other resort visited and/or stayed in. No extra features we have seen in other resorts such as a drink station (Mimosa or Bloody Mary), juicing station, etc. - like at Capri, Wild Orchid or even the Dreams Punta Cana.
Unmanicured landscape with weeds growing up in shrubs and flower areas and grass not mowed. They did actually mow the high grass late this week, rumor was the AmResort investors were here (apparently true, because we stayed nearby, and saw many times, Raphael Nadad and his entourage).
One public ladies restroom has been missing a toilet seat for our entire stay so far. Our patio had no finished light fixture.
Limited, very small scale, amateur nightly entertainment compared to other Secrets resorts in Mexico.
Fake marble tile in the bedrooms on floor/walls. At least in the Preferred Club room.
Multiple little oversights in our room such as the only drawer (think clothes storage) was our nightstand, no alarm clock, no iron, or no full length mirror. Actually there is only one mirror in the room. So, for example, if your husband is using the toilet and wants privacy, you can't do your hair or makeup in another part of the room.

One couple told us they didn't have their room cleaned or restocked one day, so they mentioned it to staff and then the next day ...again... still no service.

Haphazard finished remodeling ...including pencil marks and construction writing on a tile in the bathroom. Tile grout was done very sloppy.

Now one of the biggest problems. The staff is poorly managed. Although I am looking right now at literally 3 uniformed guards who are watching the beach area and 4 guys sitting on a catamaran at the water sports area and 2 more people behind the desk at the watersports area....there has yet to be enough wait staff to accommodate dining. Hostess desks are frequently unmanned and a hostess is shared between two adjacent restaurants. This same overworked hostess is also the person that takes your order at the Oceana and Barefoot grill. This dual restaurant hostess and waitress has twice so far told us (very nicely) that we may prefer to get our food from the self-serve beach grill because it will take less time.
The beach grill food is also a very slow and poorly managed option. The one cook who is running the grills, also runs back up to the main area to restock his meat trays of raw meat and also re-stocks the warm side dishes and condiment bowls. Obviously, this area is also filled with guests just standing around waiting and unsure what to do. Once guests filled their plates on the beach they wander up to the Oceana seating area and find themselves a table. Understandable, because nobody has been present at the hostess desk (not the hostess fault, she is taking an order from someone who has sat 20 minutes just waiting for a glimpse of the only waiter). Unorganized chaos.
Sometimes you can have a 20 minute wait to have your order taken and to receive water at lunch. We, and others, got up and found our own water, silverware, napkins etc. (trying not to be whiny)
Every day the breakfast buffet area has opened 10-15 minutes late.
Many, many, many unfinished areas of remodeling (one guest told us that the first room they checked into had a orange extension cord running across the room to provide electric to some part of the room).
Several areas on the property have a strong sewer smell.
Beach party night involved standing in line about half an hour for food. Again, not enough servers or runners for buffet tables. For comparison, the Capri's outside buffet night was outstanding.
Food is more inconsistently labeled than usual in Mexico at every buffet or on every menu. Buffalo sauce is barbecue, plum sauce is chocolate, chicken wings are actually chicken cordon blue, fish and shrimp tacos are only fish...etc.. Not a huge deal, unless you require a special diet.
The only pool with a swim up bar is in the Preferred Club section. Not a problem to us, since we are in the Preferred Club and they aren't checking club status anyway...but could be a problem or something to consider for some. This pool is very small.

O.k....if I had just read my review I would think I am too negative. I am just explaining that this resort is operating entirely different than other Secrets, Dreams or NOW resorts within the same parent company.

My husband and I bought into Vacation Club because we liked 2 NOWs and a Dreams so much. We are very disappointed in Secrets Aura and really want you to consider another property until the above matters are addressed. We don't want you to be turned off on theAMResorts brand all together. Try any other Secrets, just not Aura.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 568beths
Dear Beth S,

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay.

We are glad to notice that we have worked on the hotel and we have improve our areas.

We hope to see you here soon in order to see by yourself all the improvements that we have done.

Please contact us directly at info.seacz@secretsresorts.com to take care of your next reservation.

Kind Regards,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We enjoyed 9 days at Secrets Aura-Cozumel the last of May 2014. I’m going to address this review to upcoming guest and subjects I wanted to know about at the resort prior to arrival. We booked in January ‘14 during all the really bad reviews. Yikes!! It’s safe to say we experienced none of the bad.
First, the resort is much more compact than appears on the resort map found on the website. Getting around is easy. Even if your room is in the back by the “slide” pool, it is still a short walk to the beach and restaurants.
Get a daily copy of the “Sundial”. This will inform you about daily activities, restaurant times and events you may not want to miss (like a Fire Show or a fresh fish beach barbeque).
As for food, the best breakfast is at the Market Café. Yes it buffet, but many items are made to order. Oh how I miss that fresh watermelon juice! One other note on food. I fell in love with the Seafood Skewer at Oceania. My husband would laugh as I ordered it on about three occasions. Scallops, conch and grouper. Yum! However, on the fourth occasion the skewer was dry, chewy and flavorless. The lesson here should be don’t judge the food on one meal. 26 out of 27 were good. Even the prompt, room service
Cheeseburger delivered at pool side was hot and delicious. Bordeaux is a special treat!
Between snorkeling off the beach, catamarans, kayaks, paddle boarding, Carlos & Charlie’s, afternoon pool volleyball, outings to town, or dozens of excursion options; how could you get bored unless you wanted to????
You should go to the Sky Lounge for the sunset everyday. Always beautiful, always different. You can’t get this view or this sunset in Cancun.
Check the vender on the beach at Sabor for take-home-treasures.
Next, we loved our room. Swim-up at the back slide pool. We had no issues with utilities or noise and the wifi worked fine. We didn’t need or want to be “Preferred”. Leave a note in the frig requesting your preferences.
Finally, The Staff. WOW!! What a crew! It really tells you something about the resort and staff when a humble groundskeeper offers you a fresh hibiscus blossom on your walk back from breakfast. Or when a kind bartender makes you a drink from a ripe
Coconut that fell at your back door.
Muchas Gracias to Martha (room), Adrian & Marianna (fun), Sergio, Josef, and to Luis for correcting my bad Spanish. Bravos to my girl Arelly for keeping us hydrated at poolside. Vaya con Dios, mi amigos! Hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: We loved our swim-up at the back pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Di S
Dear Di S,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in a wedding, we stayed June 26 to June 30th. Pros: the WiFi worked everywhere, even at the beach, free kayak/paddle boards on the sun scapes resort, amazing ocean view swim up room. Adult only was a plus. The market place was the best food option...we ate there everyday. The wedding ceremony was also very beautiful (minus the coral smell). Cons: food portions very small, food service was extremly slow, entertainment was lacking. We had a big group with us so we entertained each other. We didn't have a problem with our room, but a few friends of ours had humidity issues in their rooms to the point where I couldn't stay in their room for very long. The beach was filled with sharp rocks and coral...we took a taxi to a few other beaches that were crystal clear and beautiful. Overall I enjoyed myself, but I'm not sure if my husband and I would return without our friends.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Leslie R,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the WIFI, beach, Aqua sports, view and rooms however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

ma
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in a nice ocean front walk- out room,not a lot to do unless you are a diver .its a great place for R &R ,food was good could have had more Mexican selection on food . Beach a little rocky not bad did some snorkeling off the shore just OK . Night are quiet not a lot entertainment

1 Thank faze59
Dear faze59,

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just got back from a 5 day stay at Secrets. We had a pool view room in the back on the complex. The room was very comfy and clean. Cold beers and soft drinks in the fridge and restocked daily. We were met with cold cloths and cold champaigne when we arrived. A short wait to check in and we were in our room. No bad smells, cold AC.

The food was great compared to other places ive stayed in Cozumel. Scallops, shrimp, fish or beef at every meal! Hot and well cooked. I tried things I normally would not eat and all of it was good. You do wait a bit on your food but im on vacation and not in a hurry. Dining should be an experince not a rush deal for me. I do think the whole facility was running short staffed since it was slow season but everyone was friendly and worked very hard and was very friendly!

The pools were warm but what do you expect its hot outside! One pool wasnt the clearest but oh well there are more pools. The beach was very nice and clean, plenty of chairs that I could see.

Room service takes about 45 minutes. Again not that big of a deal. Order earlier. The sky bar is awesome and usually empty.

We did have the AC quit the day before we left. I called and they responded quickly and tried to fix it but could not. We were moved to another room. I was a bit put out that after they said they would move us it took longer than it should of for them to bring us new room keys as it was getting hot.

Overall I loved the place. It was much nicer than the El Cozumelano where I have stayed twice before. I would stay here again.

4 Thank James S
Dear James S,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are gald to know taht you have nejoyed your stay ith us, your commets about beach, rooms and food was the most motivating,

thank you for your suggestiona about how we can get better, I am going to share these comments with our deaprtments in charge.

We would certainly be glad to have you back for another round of a wonderful stay. Please feel confident to reach us prior your next visit at info.seacz@secretsresorts.com if you need assistance prior arrival.

We look forward to have you back at Secrets Aura Cozumel, your home in the Mexican Caribbean.

Kind regards,
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just returned from Secrets Aura today.

I've been reading reviews for months and almost changed our reservations back in April.....Hind sight is 20/20!! This resort is just "ok". We were originally in a swim up ocean view and the minute we walked in the door....there was an awful musty smell that I knew we weren't going to be able to tolerate. Our friends that went with us had the same type of room 2 doors and the smell in their room was 10 times worse. We toughed it out the first night. The next morning, I went and talked to Karen at the check in desk and she was WONDERFUL to us. She moved us to the "Preferred" ocean front suites. Those rooms were soooo much better!! Our room was the only good thing about our stay. We were never waited on at the beach. Had to wait forever for drinks at the swim up bar. Had to call housekeeping 5 times to have our refridgerator restocked each day. It was nuts. They are so under staffed it's pitiful. The smell that you read about on all these reveiws....trust me....it's disgusting and it's all over the resort. Thank goodness we were with awesome friends and made the most of it!! Had a great time with them....but willl not return to Secrets Aura. :(

If you are looking for a resort that has it all together and has wonderful service.....choose Excellence Playa Mujeres. There is no comparison for about the same cost.

Room Tip: If you don't have a choice but to stay at this resort...the Preferred rooms are the only way to...
2 Thank krishale14
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear krishale14,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you enjoyed such room and location however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel

We have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Please feel confident that we will take the proper measures to prevent reoccurrences like this in the future.