“Wonderful staff and food, but rooms need major remodeling.”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and were upgraded to the preferred section of the hotel. First room we were given in building 5 in preferred section didn't work in the living room. They were cheap ceiling units not central air. We demanded another room that very evening and moved to the room next door. Room was cool and a/c's worked but the safe didn't work. The staff came by and worked on it but ended up having to replace it after trying for an hour to get it to work. Another major issue was the phone never worked. Wouldn't have cared but we were travelling with another couple and needed to coordinate dinner and activity plans. Someone came out two or three times to fix it but it never worked the entire time we were there. Tried to run a bath one night but the pipes were so rusted the water was filthy and I gave up. At least the shower worked well. By the second to last day the a/c unit in the living room was leaking all over the floor. By the last day they seemed to have got it fixed as it wasn't leaking anymore.
So the rooms were in need of a major overhaul in terms of plumbing, a/c, and communications systems. In sum the hotel rooms are in a state of disrepair.
The room service staff needed to come back and collect the used dishes. Most people who ordered must have put all their plates and bowls outside their doors. Unfortunately they sat out there so long the birds found them and strewn it all over the hallway. It was a mess!

I read many reviews on how lousy the food was but every meal we ate was delicious. We ate mostly fish and all was fresh and tasty. Breakfast buffet always seemed pretty fresh. Drinks were excellent. Could call our liquor so the Don Julio margaritas were our favorite. Also could get Havana Club rum in the bars as well.
We enjoyed the preferred lounge to hang out and get snacks and great drinks.
Service was mostly very good. We had trouble all during the week getting our mini fridge filled....by the way it's not a mini bar it's a mini fridge. Only beer and soft drinks and water inside....no wine or spirits.
Also expected a beach waiter but service was lousy at best. Of the several drinks we ordered when the server did show up, only one was delivered. We gave up and went and got our own drinks.
The beach was pretty but very rocky. We brought our aqua socks and were fine but it was a little difficult to get out. Once out in the water the ocean was great. Nice clear water and a great temperature. We enjoyed the kayaking and hobie cat while we were there.
The Spa was nice but we had to go to the sister sunscape property next doo to go there. We were not dissapointed. The treatment was excellent and I felt it was worth the cost.
The resort offered $200.00 credit to use around the property but you could only use so much at a time. most of ours was wasted. They only let you use $40.00 at the spa per visit. And only $10.00 per bottle of wine.
We will not be returning to Secrets or any property owned by this company. We have been to Mexico many times and unfortunately this was our worst experience. Its really too bad because the staff is very friendly and we thought the food was quite good for an all inclusive. There were just too many problems with the accommodations to overlook and the concierge and front desk staff didn't seem to care.

• Stayed: June 2014
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Robin L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Secrets Aura Cozumel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

On checking in our ocean view room, we noticed it was more an ocean squint room but we were okay with it, until 1 AM when we woke up to the party hearty revelers downstairs. We also noticed earlier a motor noise, going off and on. I was able to tune it out but between the party people and the motor, his nibs was way short on sleep. I was off to the Spa the next day and when I returned, his nibs had spoken to the manager who agreed our ocean glimpse room was not the best and gave us a new room. It was on the 3rd (top) floor with our own pool on the roof and a big ocean view. Noise free, ocean view and our own pool, we could not complain it was missing most of the amenities of the previous room but we did call for the free water and a few other items.
Food I. The various restaurants was included and varied from delicious to okay. It varied by times of day too. Service was generally quite slow but when you got it, it was fine. More than one couple left before being seated in the evening because it was lat and they were hungry.
Tip#1. If your room is less than you paid for, if you speak nicely to the front desk staff and can make your case humbly and nicely, you can get a better room. It is a shame you have to go thru this but that is life. Now if you want to sit thru their sales pitch of 90 minutes (NOT) you can get a better room and coupons for other things...never free things but help cut the cost.
Tip#2. Go down for meals half an hour before you want to be seated, have a drink after checking in and expect to enjoy the view, climate, drinks, whatever you can enjoy. If you wait until just before you want to eat, you will have to wait. Room service is no answer either as you will get cold food after the big wait. I saw one couple pogo tom the concierge and order two big meals TO GO, then took them up to their room.
Tip #3. Bring long pants for the men to have dinner at the French Restaurant. Surprise, even dress shorts are not allowed. After living in a Mexico for over a year, this was the first restaurant that we have been to that did not allow dressy shorts (like white linen or silk) for dinner. Never thought to bring long pants!
Would we go back? Yes at the 50% deal out of season. Full price, probably not.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Judymcsedona,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in our resort.

We value your detailed suggestions as our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks.

While we understand the way you felt about the situation experienced during your stay, we do hope that our reply to your feedback restores some semblance of trust on us. Please contact us directly at info.seacz@secretsresorts.com to take care of your next reservation.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just got back from a trip with my daughter. As a beginner SCUBA diver, I was going primarily for the diving experience and for a relaxing vacation. The "communication" (or lack thereof) within the property was disappointing. We should have been placed in a "preferred" room, but that didn't happen. By the time we realized it, it wasn't worth moving. However, our first room had a horrible odor to it, so we got moved a couple of doors down and the room was fine. I left a note for the mini-bar attendant requesting more water, and that was honored promptly. Of course, the mini-bar was restocked only one time after that, which was disappointing. The biggest disappointment, however was the food service. On one occasion, we walked out after having waited over an hour for our burgers to be served. On another occasion, I was seated for lunch, and the hostess took my drink order but never brought it to me. After a 15-minute wait, and seeing two other parties get seated and served, I stormed out. I complained to the Chief Concierge, Nelly, who offered some items for compensation (a spa treatment for my daughter and a free dive for me). I greatly appreciated that Nelly did not get defensive but seemed truly concerned. I happened to see her again as we were checking out, which I did while we were waiting (again) for our lunch to be served. The resort was not busy at all - I really don't know why the food service was so poor. The one exception was the Bordeux Restaurant, where the food was very good and our waiter, Giocornado, was excellent.

There were some good points, though. The "preferred pool" was very nice and relaxing. We met some nice people there and it was fun to hang out with them. The diving is amazing! I went on 6 dives with The Dive House, the operator at the resort. Special kudos to Luis, the "contact person" on site. He understood that I was a beginner and made sure that I was on dives with people of similar experience and he got me on dives at times that I wanted to go. The Dive Masters that I was with, Humberto, David, Keeko, and Victor were all excellent!! Saw a huge moray eel on my first dive, and subsequent dives had nurse sharks, barracuda, lobster, more eels, and a few sea turtles. Absolutely amazing!

In the reception area, Rafael Gomez was a huge help in getting us situated with issues we had. Very nice gentleman!

If/when I return to Cozumel, I honestly don't know if I would stay here again, even though I have "ties" to AMResorts. Hopefully future reviews from travelers will be better, and i'll have more confidence in them than I do right now.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Jon F,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had previously stayed at the Secrets Montego Bay resort about a year before and loved it; we expected Secrets Cozumel to be the same experience. From what the reviews eluded, it may be a newly acquired resort for Secrets and they are still making it theirs. We had booked the preferred Solarium Suite (Private Pool); if you’re going to stay here, book this suite. The suite is a two story suite with a private lap pool and outdoor shower with an extra bathroom on the outdoor top floor. We never went into the public pools. The other preferred suite we’ve previously had, had full bottles of spirits but Cozumel did not. It was two single serving bottles. Although, our host was sweet and had sent up a bottle of tequila for an event we were celebrating. The preferred lounge was quiet with few nighttime activities. The pictures look as though the water is blue with a beach, this is not the case. We required swim shoes to go into the water due to the rocks but it was good for snorkeling. They also advertise free non-motorized water sports but it’s for a portion of time, snorkeling was two hours for free. I see the reasoning (to ensure everyone has availability to it) but it’s less relaxing when you’re out in the water and have to be concerned with time. The food selection was not what we’d had before at Secrets. They had different restaurants open for lunch but they were all serving the same thing everyday. The positive factor was room service had a good menu and delivered at all hours. The staff were also helpful and went beyond to do the best they could. We enjoyed the room the most. It provided the privacy and quiet time needed. The beach was not the type of beach we like so we are not planning to return but if snorkeling/scuba is a hobby, this may be your resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sara F,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Totally understaffed in every department. Seriously, this place needs a ton more workers. Prepare for every meal to take 2 hours each including breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you eat at a restaurant. Even on the breakfast buffet most of the stuff is cooked to order so that takes a while as well. Bars are staffed with usually only one person, and swim up bartenders work both up and downstairs. They take care of the top most often b/c all their stuff (blenders and cooler) is located up there and make it down only when they feel like it. One bartender in particular (Vicente) acted annoyed anytime we asked for a drink and was there 3 of the 5 days we were at the resort. I tipped a buck almost every time I asked for drinks and he still acted that way had a bad attitude and ignored the lower bar for the most part. Food was good, nothing was great, room service breakfast was probably the best. They restocked my mini bar 2 times over 5 days. Got turn down service and the list of daily activities only 2 times during the week. Constant nasty sewage smell by tennis courts and main swim up bar. Seriously awful at times. I personally never had a hot shower while we were there but my wife was suddenly scalded one time in the middle of her shower. Pool bar was covered in green algae the entire time, pool was cloudy for 2 days while we were there as well. They kept turning off the slides and left them off for a half day at a time for apparently no reason. This sucked for our friends that had "swim up" rooms there.

Pros were location, snorkeling under the pier, housekeeping (minus the turndown but we don't care about that but would have liked the daily activities sheet more often) and the Fish Market day on Thursday was really cool. Boat brought fresh fish right up to the beach, they cleaned and grilled it right there in front of everyone. Room service was slow but probably the best tasting food we had. There was a new waitress who just started this week and I wish I could remember her name. She was amazing and had to work the beach and the pool. Seriously, they need 30 more of her!

We've stayed at many all inclusives (6 in 10 years) and this one was at the low end of the scale and appeared to attract not the most discerning crowd. The Secrets brand isn't the problem, for example, Secrets St James/Wild Orchid in Montego bay is one tightly run ship! Food was always excellent, constant grounds keeping and maintenance, super attitudes from workers and management. Aura could stand to learn a few lessons from that place, we always noticed small meetings with staff and management to ensure that they were in constant communication and that things were running smoothly.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are a good option.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John F

Dear John F,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the snorkelling, housekeeping and location however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

We have taken notes of your comments, we are going to share them with our departments in charge.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here from June 14th to the 21st. The resort is great. Enjoyed the pools and met some great guests and staff. The fishing was amazing. The restaurants are great, especially the Bordeaux. The food was fabulous. The only issue we had was that the resort seemed understaffed! The staff worked very hard to keep everyone happy, but with only one or two servers working the pool and beach area, service was a bit slow. Also, there was a similar problem with the room service and housekeeping, as room service was VERY slow and of the 7 nights, we had only 2 nights of turn down, but again, I believe this was a staffing issue and not poor service. Special thanks to Sergio, Vickie, and to Nelly who helped us with our upgrade to swim-up. We would certainly stay again and most certainly in a swim-up.

Room Tip: get a swim-up
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe M

Dear Joe M,

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel, food and restaurants . As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon arrival, check in was a slow process. This set the tone for all of the services at this resort. Extremely slow food service, bar service, room service etc. the one redeeming factor was the huge balcony on our suite and the amazing view. We went for a beach vacation and the beach was perfect. However I would not recommend this resort because of the service. The food was decent, not the best but palatable.
We did take the hour and a half sales pitch. Only to find out that this particular secrets was not up to par with other properties the company owns and that we basically paid too much for our trip. Rude.
The spa is wonderful so I will give them that. But all in all I would not go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Merry1traveling

Dear Merry1traveling

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We are glad to know that yuo enjoyed the location and beach.

We have taken your comments very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

With this said, we look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence our resort and service.

Kind reagards,