“Convenient to dive sites on the south end of the island”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Worth, Texas
“Convenient to dive sites on the south end of the island”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were pleased with the room decor, and the bathroom amenities - large deep tub and large shower are great for cleaning yourself and your dive gear. The staff were very friendly and helped us get into a room with a balcony where we could dry our dive gear. I was surprised that the food and drinks were quite good. The fresh grilled grouper on the lunch menu was phenomenal. The breakfast buffet at the Market cafe was terrific. The music played at the restaurants was not too bad - easy listening, new age and bossa nova. The spa seemed large, nice and clean. Seems like the party hotel is the Sunscape next door. My only complaints were that the buildings were rather boring architecturally, but, hey, this is a beach resort. Also, the snorkeling out in front of the resort was pretty unexciting. The Intercontinental has much better snorkeling. Dinner at Bourdeaux was a bit disappointing, but that's what you get for ordering a steak with hollandaise sauce in Mexico. Overall - we were happy and would return. I did not experience any of the musty smell issues that have been mentioned previousl6y.

1 Thank divefan
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear divefan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in our resort.

We value your detailed suggestions as our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks.

While we understand the way you felt about the situation experienced during your stay, we do hope that our reply to your feedback restores some semblance of trust on us. Please contact us directly at info.seacz@secretsresorts.com to take care of your next reservation.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed in preferred room 722 from 04-08 July for our anniversary. Room was very nice, love the tub and shower!

Dinner at Bordeaux. They opened 20 minutes late. Not a huge deal, we watched people play volleyball in the pool. Taking our order was pretty slow even though there were only 2 other couples in the restaurant. Once the orders were taken, food came out in a timely manner. Food was decently good. There was a dead mosquito on the bread plate, and several dead bugs in the window sill. Wasnt too worked up, nothing I havent seen in the U.S., all things they were apologetic for.

Later on that night, we were in the tub/ shower, and the turn down service came by. Unfortunately, the guy couldnt hear us telling him not to come in, and helped himself. Luckily hubby found a towel fast and intercepted... suggestion would be to use the chain as the lock on the door doesnt keep people out...

Dinner at Windows was pretty good. again...very slow to get the order taken, but food was good and fast once the order was taken.

Preferred pool was very nice. There were only ever 20 people in it, quite and relaxing.

Was disappointed by the beach. Sand/ shells was fine, but the snorkeling was not impressive. After 20 minutes we left and went back to the pool.

Did a dinner under the stars... was free for doing a uvc tour. Even with bugspray the bugs were really bad and distracting. Courses were very very slow. Was nice to be alone, but probably would never do that again.

Side note about uvc...if they start talking to you about joining and you are interested, they will keep going back and pretending they have others who have upgraded their packages to give you a better "used" package. Also, if you are like us and realize that you just paid 30k and are stuck in a 30 year contract just to get a 25% discount on the resort only and that the terms you discussed are not what the paperwork says....know that the Mexican government says you have 5 days to void the contract regardless of what their fancy little office people claim. ( just google it to get wording) We wasted 4 hours on their tour and signing up, 2 hours doing research on how to void the contract and writing them a notice of intent, and another hour forcing the office to cancel our contract. All that to say if you have no intention on locking yourself into only staying in their resorts for the next 30 years, please dont go on the tour. I was so disappointed that we spent so much of our vacation talking to these people. (I dont hold this against them, we did it to ourselves) One thing they did tell me was that they are aware that this resort is not up to par, but expect it to reach that status in September.

Overall, the vacation was pretty relaxing. We like to go to new places, so I dont know that we would go back only because we would like to visit new countries. If we came back to cozumel, we would definitely consider coming back to this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear 2sandmans,

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

There seems to have been a number of deficiencies encountered which are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; if this stay was marred by irregular circumstances, we can only renew our apologies and assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

We are working on a daily basis to exceed our guest’s expectations and would love to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future to offer you a remarkable stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I are currently staying at Secrets Cozumel in room 612, we have been here for 6 days and are leaving tomorrow. Our experience has been wonderful and the staff is so friendly. The restaurants are muy bueno! We are a little bummed however because we just got back from a spendy "thirty minute" parasailing trip that only lasted 15 minutes tops! Other than that, things are amazing and we are really sad about leaving. The maid service is great, it is so nice to come into a nice clean room and also they have a turn down service with chocolate! We were greeted with champagne and fresh hot towels. They treat you like royalty here and I would defintely recommend it! Also, don't miss out on the snorkeling at the three different coral reefs. Very romantic stay and chances are we will be back but always staying at a Secrets Resort!

Room Tip: Preferred rooms are great plus the benefits and your own lounge/swim up bar.
1 Thank Andrew M
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. Your comments about our restaurants, room and staff was most motivating

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon and hope you will not hesitate to spend another wonderful vacation in paradise at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

Champion, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2014

From the moment we arrived and were treated with super customer service to the day we had to say Good-bye or "Adios," we were amazed by the friendliness and speed to tend to our needs. All staff and management had 1 ultimate goal--make our vacation the best ever. They succeeded. Over the top is what we tell our friends. Genuinely friendly too and that's what we tell our family. In fact, that is how we were treated....like Family. Our room was ready for us and we were greeted with complimentary wine, tequilla, juices and snacks. A very spacious room that was clean and well equipped with plenty of towels and other amenities. The view was gorgeous and even though we had a garden/pool view, we could sit on our balcony and see the ocean very clearly. Our shower was great with lots of hot water and high pressure. The over-sized tub was appreciated as well. The wife especially enjoyed the lighted make-up mirror. Now she wants one installed at home. Being Honeymooners meant we enjoyed several special treats but what was really memorable was when we came home late one evening and found a plate of chocolate covered strawberries strategically placed on a drizzled chocolate heart shape along with another bottle of wine. Meals were great and we enjoyed dressing up a bit to celebrate our Honeymoon with dinners at the Bordeaux (French restaurant). A special dinner was enjoyed when friends of ours, that we met at the pool, caught a Maui Maui fish and the chef prepared it to share that evening. They included us and it was delicious. Assisting with making arrangements to do things and making the most of our stay was a pleasure as well. Thanks to Nellie, Eunice and our pool bartendars for making our Honeymoon and stay "Over the Top."

Room Tip: Upgrade to Preferred and Tropical View still gives you a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viscontiml
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Viscontiml,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Kind regards.
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I read MANY reviews before deciding to come to this resort and I must say I skimmed the bad ones in hopes that those were just "travel snobs" and that it would be fine given the pictures and the positive reviews I'd read we decided to give it a try and boy were we wrong!!!! Upon arrival we were not greeted, nor helped with our bags, nor given the towel and champagne as stated... I chalked that up to they were busy and it was no big deal. After we spoke to the staff our room was not ready which was fine, we were 2 hours early and they offered us a chance to go have lunch and return which we did and our room was ready. We took our things to our room and headed out for a swim and a few hours later were ready for a snack at which time we thought we'd hit up the Barefoot Grille, big mistake! I stood there for 10 minutes without anyone even speaking to me (mind you they were cooking and could clearly see me) and then I asked for some assistance or if there was a menu I could look at as this was our first day and I wasn't familiar, still no response!!!!! I then thought ok maybe there is a language barrier and attempted to ask someone else who then started speaking spanish to the other cook and they began to laugh and mock me essentially at which time I left and said nevermind. I went straight to my room and called management to complain and mind you in 30 years I have NEVER once complained about service in my life and the response I got was "well it's close to time for it to close maybe you should try room service!!!" to which I replied I'm happy to do that but I'm not calling about the lack of food I'm calling about the way I was treated and he said "ok I'll call down there". That was the end of that, no apology, no can we bring you something since you were trying to order, no nothing!!!!!!! This was about the way the entire trip went. I have read reviews that have said it felt understaffed and I disagree with that, it seemed there were more than enough employees they just weren't doing the right things. They were running 2 servers to death trying to wait on everyone and then they'd have 15 hostesses standing around not doing a thing. I have read and heard other guests at the resort talking about the staff acting as if you were a burden and I will have to say I 100% agree with that and it was my biggest dislike about this trip. The staff made you feel as if you were a burden and acted almost smug if you asked for everything and got this sarcastic smirk if you had a request, mid you we have stayed at other all inclusives (and many where tips were NOT allowed) and got completely different/better service here and we were tipping every time they brought us a drink here. If you were on the pool or on the beach a drink girl would come around and you'd probably see her again in 45 minutes with your drink and sure you could just get up and get it yourself but you'd stand there the same and they'd act like you were ignorant for trying to get a drink. The food was a joke in my opinion, I went to mexico for mexican food, not cookie cutter out of the box food that was trying to replicate American food b/c it did not work. The desserts were straight out of the box and the same every night and there were NO snacks out at any time other than the hard cookies at the front lobby when you walked in so unless you went to your room and ordered room service or attempted to get some service at the barefoot grille that was it and the black birds are ridiculous!!!!! I'm quite certain that in 2014 there is some way to deter them, you'd no sooner turn around to take a picture than a black bird would be sitting on your plate eating straight off of it and the squack all night long. Our phone in our room didn't work and the remote worked about 50% of the time. The bed was comfortable I will say that and the housekeeping staff did a good job. The activities were lacking although they were pretty entertaining when they had them and the "fun pool" is hidden and the majority of the guests didn't even know it was back there. The majority of the activities were at the resort next door which is the sister resort to this place and while it is not the more upscale of the 2 it is actually way more fun and lively and the staff is MUCHHHHHHHH friendlier there so we would try nightly to go eat there and hang out there b/c although there were kids running around there it was better than the rudeness you were getting back at Secrets. We went deep sea fishing one day and brought back a Mahi Mahi and we were given it by the staff on the boat to have cooked and the staff at Secrets tells us that we had to get a waiver signed by the boat captain in order for them to cook it (mind you they're saying this after our boat has sailed away) so we threw it in the trash b/c they made it clear they weren't going to cook it... I did use the spa (at Sunscape next door) which was quite pleasant but other than that I would say this resort was awful, worst customer service and boring and we will not be returning. We had actually planned to return in September with another couple and we have since cancelled that trip due to our experience and will be spending our money elsewhere. I honestly can promise you that we are not "travel snobs", we live in a tiny town in Texas and would've been pleased with a friendly smile and good service but we honestly get better customer service at Chick fil a for $5 than we ever got here and this was heard repeatedly from other guests there as well! Big waste of money and big waste of vacation days!

Room Tip: Away from the black birds
9 Thank Julianne H
Dear Julianne H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We have taken your comments very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

With this said, we look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence our resort and service.

Kind regards
Iowa
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I just concluded our fifth trip to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. I decided to write a running review ranking each resort. We have stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess (May 2009), Sandos Caracol (May 2010), the Ocean Coral & Turquesa (August 2011 & May 2013, with kids), and Secrets Aura. We had a nice time at all and would stay at the OCT, GSP, SA again.

Overall Rating
1. Ocean Coral and Turquesa (OCT). Overall the best combination of what we like for a resort. It was also an incredible value, going after August 16 helped this. They also regularly run a kids stay free special which we used in May 2013. My overall rating ****1/2.
2. Secrets Aura Cozumel (SA)****1/2 This property was acquired from Wyndham in the past couple years and they have made many renovations, but is still a work in progress.
3. Grand Sunset Princess (GSP). The most beautiful resort of the three. A very large resort. ****
4. Sandos Caracol (SC). An eco-resort theme. Friendly helpful staff, an upgrade to select club is a must. *** ½.

Rooms
1. SA. We chose to stay in the Preferred Section in a garden view room. We had a second floor room and actually had a very nice ocean view to our left. Probably the most beautiful spacious room I have stayed in. It has a great soaking tub, walk in shower with rainfall shower head, and a very comfortable bed. Lots of toiletry upgrades including sun screen. It is a relatively small upgrade to the tropical view rooms, I highly recommend it. We requested a dehumidifier, but did not need it because the AC did such a good job.
2. GSP. This is an all-suite resort with spacious beautiful rooms. We stayed in a Platinum Suite with a great ocean view. Extensive marble and contemporary style. It had a good sized flat screen TV with plenty of English speaking channels, which was nice to have at the end of the day after being outdoors all day. No musty smells and the AC worked well. Having a key card or other card in a slot controls the power, bring an extra card to keep things running.
3. OCT. Very nice and also decorated in a contemporary style. Was mostly tile rather than marble. Lacked a few of the extras like the double sink that the GSP had. A bit of a sulfur smell in the bathroom; got used to it quickly. The AC was very good. The TV was a flat screen that was a little smaller. A motion detector in the room controlled some of the electrical items in the room. Many rooms have a good view of the ocean; we requested an upper floor and didn’t mention an ocean view. That was our fault for not asking.
4. SC. We stayed in the select club rooms at the back of the resort. We had a huge whirlpool in the room. The décor and furnishing were a little dated and tired. They still used tube TV and the reception was poor. The humidity was a little more prevalent here than the other two resorts.

Beds
1. SA. Nice linens. Very comfortable bed, better than I have back home.
2. GSP. Best overall, nice linens. Comfortable bed, in Mexico beds are generally much firmer.
3. OCT. Perfectly comfortable, the bedding was not quite as nice as the GSP.
4. SC. Acceptable comfort and linens.

Mini Bar
1. GSP. It was cold and the selection was good. It was restocked daily and the Platinum upgrade got us several bottles of liquor. Some of which were recognizable brands.
2. SA. Decent temperature. Sodas were in glass bottles. They forgot our snacks and bottle of tequila. We requested both, but only got the snacks. They had a bottle of wine for us when we arrived, so maybe that was in place of the tequila. However, we don’t drink wine and would have preferred the tequila.
3. OCT. The temperature was passable. Had some trouble getting diet coke stocked, it was hit or miss.
4. SC. It was not cold, made one request to have it fixed it never was. Selection was good, the Select Club upgrade got use several bottles of liquor, did not recognize any of the brands.

Grounds
1. GSP. Most beautiful of the three. Compared very well to a true five star resort I stayed at in Costa Rica. Everything is so well cleaned and manicured. Enjoyed the fact it was a large resort and could take a walk in such a nice setting. Occasionally smells around the Laguna Suites, like the smell of standing water.
2. OCT. Very nice setting, a little more noticeable chipping paint than the GSP, but you really had to look at it close to notice it. Extremely clean and well maintained. The buildings were laid out in four horseshoes so you continually had a view of the ocean from almost anywhere. Our room was near the kids club and there was much more of a sulfur like smell on that side of the resort. It appears, as there were some mechanical building, that perhaps that is what the smell was.
3. SA. Some of the preferred sections were really beautiful as were the restaurants. It was missing some of the finer points in the landscaping and grass. There is an area in the back with construction debris. They have added some of the sister resort to this resort so it is a little chopped up and more difficult to navigate than some other resorts.
3. SC. Most noticeable signs of wear and age. Everything was extremely clean and the staff was continually cleaning, painting, and trimming things. When the wind was right there was occasionally a pungent standing water type smell. There were many animals on the resort.

Beach
1. SC. We are certainly not beach people, but spent a lot of time here at the SC. They have the erosion control sand bags. Though they are not particularly scenic, they make a wonderful area to soak in the ocean. The beach was clean, the water was very clear, and the sand was soft and white. With the select club upgrade, we had access to an excellent beach club area and had nicer loungers in the roped off area.
2. SA. The sand was more coarse here. You don’t want to walk long distances on it without shoes. I rated this ahead of GSP, due to the pier and great snorkeling it provided.
3. GSP. We went to the beach one day here. When we went, there were none of the vendors in the way or the chairs you have to pay to sit in. These items are mentioned in many of the recent reviews, but were not present in 2009.
4. OCT. There certainly is sea grass and the water is not as clear as the other two. It is located right across for a reef. If you are a beach person this one will disappoint you. It didn’t bother us, as we are generally indifferent on the beach.

Pools
1. GSP. The pools stretched the whole resort and too numerous to count. They were always clean and we spent most of our time at the pool with the swim up bar. There was a pool for whatever you were looking for from quiet to activities.
2. OCT. There were four pools to choose from; kids, activity, party, and quiet. You could sit at the pool and see the ocean from your seat. We spent most of our time at the party pool with the swim up bar. This pool had “chairs” for two built into the pool, which were nice to sit up. Very happy with the pools here too.
3. SC. Just like the other resorts, the pools for whatever you like to do. We liked the party pool and select club pool and split time between the too. The water was almost as warm as bath water, which I enjoyed. All pools were very clean. Very happy with the pools here; there was little difference between the resorts.
4. SA. Again a similar theme here, the preferred pool was outstanding. The Manatee Pool needed to be cleaned better. Floating leaves were the main issue, just no fun having that stuff stuck to you when swimming. We did not use the other two pools.

Theater (facility)
1. GSP. A very large and cold theater, the cranked the AC in here. The theater was very large and had a bar in the back.
2. OCT. A modest sized theater, the AC was on but was a little on the warmer side. They did not turn the AC for the movie at 6:00. It was very hot for those; they need to turn on the AC for the movie. That is my #1 suggestion for this resort. They also could use a bar during the shows.
3. SC. Very nice outdoor facility, but it is too hot to enjoy. We ended up either sitting near the back or watching the movie in the sports bar.
4. SA. NA in this category. It was a smaller resort so it did not have a large theater for shows. Most of the entertainment was at Sky Bar, on the beach, or in the lobby. They did have a small club where they had a whip cracking show. It was kind of an odd space.

1. SA. Enjoyed most all of the food hear. Compared to other resorts their desserts were much better, great chocolate cake. We celebrated a birthday and anniversary when we were there and for both occasions they left a cake in our room. No reservation necessary here and we did not wait once to get into a restaurant. We enjoyed the pool side service. The nachos and speciality burger were wonderful. We tried room service twice. Once for breakfast and once for dinner it was prompt and delicious each time. Try the portabella burger it is wonderful. Secrets guests can use the sister resort as well. We ate at the Mexican place for dinner and it was good. We also ate at the Pizzeria for lunch. The was to closest I have had to what I would call true pizza in Mexico. Last but not least we really liked the Market Café for breakfast. They knew our names and knew we drink diet coke instead of coffee almost right away. It is a smaller buffet, but makes omelets, eggs, waffles, and French toast to order. You have to get the French toast it is wonderful. The odd thing is you must ask for bacon at the omelet station. They have it ready, not sure why they don’t put it out??

2. OCT. The food here was good in the buffets and ala carts. No reservations unless you are privilege status. I actually preferred the walk up system as you could eat an ala cart every night even the first night you were there. We did line up at 5:30 for the hibachi show, but we really did not need to do so for the 6:00 slot. In the seven nights we only had to wait once for 30 minutes for the Mexican place. They clearly were full and were running efficiently, so it was no big deal. We just got a drink from Mike’s Café and before we knew it, our table was ready. We tried all of the ala carts and enjoyed every one of them. Don’t miss the Crepe ala cart, the dessert crepes are excellent. My other favorites were the rib eye at Villa Marina, cheese tastings and the Mexican ala cart, and the tuna appetizer at the Japanese place. Overall lots of good things to eat!!
3. SC. Due to only staying four nights we were allowed just one ala cart. We chose the Brazilian ala cart and really, really enjoyed it. The salad bar at this ala cart also had sushi so that was nice bonus. The buffet choices were international and Italian. Both were good, but my favorite food was the international. The international was outside so there were some mosquito issues and it was warm. The Italian buffet had AC.
4. GSP. We ate an ala cart every night except our first. Plan on some extra time when eating an ala cart here. On the whole, there were not many memorable dishes here. There is a cold soup at the gourmet ala cart that was excellent as was the sushi. My favorite dish was the steak I got for room service. The pizza was not good at all.

Drinks

1. GSP. The drinks were blended well and the right strength. The variety was very good and they could make most anything. When we were there they did not have mint for mojitos. The coconut daiquiri, Miami Vice, blue Hawaiians, and mango margaritas were very good. They had good tequila and Corona on tap.
2.SA. Be careful, compared to other resorts they don’t water down their drinks. One day they were doing coconut drinks and they were quite strong. They always had a drink of the day, the mango tangos were are favorite. They did not make a very good Blue Hawaiian, but I figured out if I had them add coconut rum it was much better. They had higher end tequila available and you could get Crowne Royal in the Preferred areas.

3. OCT. Drinks contained the proper amount of alcohol. The made a very good blue Hawaiian, mojito, mud slide and Bahaman Mama. The could not make a coconut daiquiri or anything mango. Occasionally would have chunks of ice in the blended drinks. The tequila was not as nice as the GSP and they also had Corona on tap.
4. SC. Did not seem to have much alcohol in the drinks. They did feature a drink of the day, which was fun. Try a coco loco and banana mama. There were often chunks of ice in the blended drinks.

Entertainment
1. OCT. Entertainment and activities were posted near the activity pool. Every other night they seem to have a movie in the theater. There were nightly shows at 9:30 in the theater. The show was the typical resort style show using the animation staff. After the theater show there was either a DJ or band by the pool. In the lobby nightly there was some sort of activity; karaoke, chocolate buffet (Sundays), and a perfect couple contest. They also have a market night weekly. The staff was very friendly, remembered us, and got us involved.
2. GSP. Again the typical nightly theater shows with the animation staff. One night they brought in professional acrobats for a show. During the day, they had some activities by the pool. This resort by far had the best disco.
3. SA. Again due this being a smaller resort entertainment was more limited. Mariana from the entertainment team was wonderful. She lead a bike tour and we were the only who signed up, so we got a private 30 minute ride with her. Mariana always knew our name and greeted us with a hug. One night they had a very good guitar player near the lobby pool. They also had a saxophone player at Skybar. No movies are larger shows that you see at the bigger resorts. They had a “comedian” from Texas that did a whip cracking demonstration at the club. I suppose he was good at what he did, but not really our thing.
4. SC. Probably would have been higher except for the comfort of the theater. The seats and temperature made it uncomfortable. They had nightly movies that were very recent. Animation staff put on the nightly shows and they also had a market night. They did have an Eco tour of the resort, but we did not figure out when this was.

1. SA. They excelled with our special events. On my wife’s birthday they left a cake for us when we returned to the room for the night. On our anniversary they hung a banner on the door and left another cake and champagne. Many employees knew us by name and our preferences. The preferred concierge was very attentive to our needs. One day we went to Oceana for lunch thinking it was the Barefoot Grill menu and it was not. They were happy to provide us with items from the Barefoot Grill menu at Oceana. We really enjoyed the lunch service by the pool and beach as well. Turn down service was never missed, the room was always cleaned, mini bar was always stocked, and room service was prompt and hot. I did note in all of Cozumel, including the resort, more people spoke very good English than in other resort areas of Mexico. Even airport employees were very easy to converse with.
2. OCT. The people were very friendly and attentive. In Mexico the drink service and pace of the ala carts are slower in general. We were satisfied by the pace here. The pool servers were around by far more often than any of the other resorts we stayed at. We never had unacceptable waits to get a drinks or service here. The room was cleaned very soon after we left for the day. We often were surprised by how fast the room was made up when we stopped back. We e-mailed ahead about celebrating our anniversary. We had wine, towel art, chocolates, and a personal note waiting for us. We requested a room on the upper floor and dehumidifier. We got our floor preference, but no dehumidifier. We made one request for the dehumidifier at the front desk, but it never arrived. We did not ask again because it did not seem all that necessary. We received a welcome drink when we arrived, and were ushered off to a rep who gave us useful information and tried to schedule a welcome breakfast (time-share). We were first offered $120 in spa credit and assured it was only 90 minutes long. The spa is no really my thing, so said she would check with the manager to see if we could get cash. We had a note under the door that they would give us $150 in cash to attend. We decided not to sign up for it.
3. SC. The people again were friendly and attentive. Drink service at the pool was there, but less frequent. We never waited at the bar to get a drink. The service at the buffet was quick and efficient. As a select club guest we had our own concierge whom checked in with us. They tried to send us over to guest services to schedule the welcome breakfast, we said we were tired and went to our room. We ordered room service, free with select club, and it came quickly.
4. GSP. Again overall the service was good. We went right around the swine flu was wrapping up. The resort was about 25% occupied. Due to the low occupancy, the nights the number of ala carts opened nightly were fewer. This was understandable; we still had plenty of choices. We ordered room service and it arrived promptly. There were about three normal things we expected to have access to like a hibachi table at Miso, that were “broken” it seemed to be an easy response for the things they were not offering due the occupancy.

Upgrades

1. SA. The preferred tropical upgrade was an extra $25/night. The cost looks like it moves around a lot based on availability. I went to their website and looked at the beginning of August stay and you could book the tropical view upgrade for an extra $50/night. If you go the end of August it is no additional cost on their website, but if you went through Orbitz it was $9/night for a tropical view. Anything $50/night or less and it is an excellent value. It provided a very upgraded room, private pool with bar, preferred lounge, in room wifi, and robe.
2. SC. The select club was just $20 extra a night. It gave you room service, beach house, Internet, liquor for you mini bar, private pool, an ala cart for lunch and more. The ala cart for lunch made up for only getting a limited number of ala carts for dinner. The rooms are at the back of resort by the Select Club pool.
3. GSP. The platinum upgrade was an extra $50 a night. It gave you room service, lounge, Internet; liquor for you mini bar, private pool, preferred reservations for dinner, ocean view room and more. The rooms had a whirlpool on the balcony and in the room. The upgrade was worth the money.
4. OCT. The privilege upgrade was $70 a night. Based on what you got and the base cost of the room we decided it was not worth it.

Bugs

1.SA. No trouble with mosquitoes, ants or roaches. Got bit by sand fleas on the beach.
1a. OCT. No trouble with mosquitoes, ants or roaches. Got bit by sand fleas on the beach.
2. GSP. No mosquitoes, ants, or sand fleas. A roach got in a suitcase, yuck. Remember to zip these up when you are out of the room. Staff sprayed and took care of it right away.
3. SC. No ants, sand fleas, or roaches. Lots of mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Most preferred tropical view, have a nice view of the ocean from the 2nd floor up. If you can swing...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dboes512
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear dboes512,

We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate your comments about our resort We ave taken notes of your suggestions.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and were upgraded to the preferred section of the hotel. First room we were given in building 5 in preferred section didn't work in the living room. They were cheap ceiling units not central air. We demanded another room that very evening and moved to the room next door. Room was cool and a/c's worked but the safe didn't work. The staff came by and worked on it but ended up having to replace it after trying for an hour to get it to work. Another major issue was the phone never worked. Wouldn't have cared but we were travelling with another couple and needed to coordinate dinner and activity plans. Someone came out two or three times to fix it but it never worked the entire time we were there. Tried to run a bath one night but the pipes were so rusted the water was filthy and I gave up. At least the shower worked well. By the second to last day the a/c unit in the living room was leaking all over the floor. By the last day they seemed to have got it fixed as it wasn't leaking anymore.
So the rooms were in need of a major overhaul in terms of plumbing, a/c, and communications systems. In sum the hotel rooms are in a state of disrepair.
The room service staff needed to come back and collect the used dishes. Most people who ordered must have put all their plates and bowls outside their doors. Unfortunately they sat out there so long the birds found them and strewn it all over the hallway. It was a mess!

I read many reviews on how lousy the food was but every meal we ate was delicious. We ate mostly fish and all was fresh and tasty. Breakfast buffet always seemed pretty fresh. Drinks were excellent. Could call our liquor so the Don Julio margaritas were our favorite. Also could get Havana Club rum in the bars as well.
We enjoyed the preferred lounge to hang out and get snacks and great drinks.
Service was mostly very good. We had trouble all during the week getting our mini fridge filled....by the way it's not a mini bar it's a mini fridge. Only beer and soft drinks and water inside....no wine or spirits.
Also expected a beach waiter but service was lousy at best. Of the several drinks we ordered when the server did show up, only one was delivered. We gave up and went and got our own drinks.
The beach was pretty but very rocky. We brought our aqua socks and were fine but it was a little difficult to get out. Once out in the water the ocean was great. Nice clear water and a great temperature. We enjoyed the kayaking and hobie cat while we were there.
The Spa was nice but we had to go to the sister sunscape property next doo to go there. We were not dissapointed. The treatment was excellent and I felt it was worth the cost.
The resort offered $200.00 credit to use around the property but you could only use so much at a time. most of ours was wasted. They only let you use $40.00 at the spa per visit. And only $10.00 per bottle of wine.
We will not be returning to Secrets or any property owned by this company. We have been to Mexico many times and unfortunately this was our worst experience. Its really too bad because the staff is very friendly and we thought the food was quite good for an all inclusive. There were just too many problems with the accommodations to overlook and the concierge and front desk staff didn't seem to care.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Robin L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Warm regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,631 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!