“Very nice, VERY quiet hotel... food could be improved.”

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Little Elm, Texas, United States
“Very nice, VERY quiet hotel... food could be improved.”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I read the reviews that the food here wasn't great but ignored them thinking people were just too picky. The food isn't bad, there just isn't a lot of selection. We didn't bring dressy clothes (long pants/closed toed shoes) so for dinner we had only two restaurant options: the buffet or the seafood restaurant. The buffet was mediocre at best. The food was barely warm, not hot and there was not a big selection. The seafood restaurant had better tasting food, but the service was VERY slow and the focus is on presentation rather than taste. The menu at the seafood restaurant was the same every night and the food at the buffet varied but somehow still tasted the same. This hotel is not very big, so I don't think it has enough people there to support more restaurants/variety. Room service food was ok, but it came with an hour wait.

Other than the food, we really enjoyed the hotel. The beach is beautiful, the swim up rooms are fun, it is nice to be able to walk out of the room right into the pool. The staff is all incredibly friendly and nice and speak excellent English. We took a sailboat - they have three between this resort and the neighboring one, so they were pretty busy and they only gave us 1/2 an hour to take one. The one we got was in pretty rough shape - it sailed, but needed some repairs. The whole resort is kept immaculate including the swimming pools. It was also VERY quiet. One night we got room service for dinner and decided to go for a walk around 10pm and I guess everyone was already in bed. It was quiet and still. Very few people up and around and those who were were not partying and drinking, were just relaxing quietly on the beach. It was a very mature adult atmosphere while we were there.

My only other criticism is the annoyance of the "deals" everyone was trying to sell us. The travel guides tell you to stay away from the hotel people because they are just trying to sell you time shares and they are going to scam you. The hotel people tell you that the travel guides are doing the same, the taxi drivers say that there is no need to book through the hotel or the travel guides, just pay them to take you to whatever place you want to go and pay right at the location. I don't know which is true, but it felt a little like we were the rope in their game of tug-of-war any time we had to speak with anyone in the hotel lobby. I think this may be just a part of going to Cozumel.

Room Tip: Get a swim-up room if you can!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Laura E,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel, beach an dswim up rooms. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

Management Area

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Hebrew first
Montana
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This short little getaway was planned spur of the moment. We booked on Wednesday for an extended weekend. We have cruised many times, but have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort. Didn't really know what to expect, but the reviews I read were mostly upbeat.
We have visited Cozumel many times and the resort itself did not disappoint. It is a lovely place, on the beach and is very clean. We were very pleased to discover this resort is at the far end of the island, not clustered with many other resorts. It being all adult was a great selling point also.
We had initially planned to stay at the resort and not frequent San Miguel, since we have been there so often. After a couple of days at the resort, we found ourselves hungry for a hot meal and ventured into town where we knew we could find great food at Palmeras!
Our first day or so at Secrets, I would have praised the resort and said it's an excellent place as long as you understand, food is not a priority there. However, when we got down to our last day at Secrets food became a bigger issue.
For the second time during our stay, we went to a beach-side restaurant before it's closing time and were told the the kitchen was already closed and we would not be served. So for us it would be another room service meal, which you wait 45 minutes for and it arrives cold. I understand that it is a big resort (not a mega resort) and it takes some time to get everyone serviced who calls in for room service. I don't understand why the food has to be stone cold when it arrives at your room.
It seems that food is not a priority at Secrets. They will serve you liquor, but not something to eat.
And speaking of liquor, Dos Equis only? Not my husband's brand of choice, his happens to be Sol, which the resort ran out of quickly.
So, all in all, Secrets is a great resort if you consider it without food. If you are planning a stay of any length you might want to consider staying elsewhere if you want to eat good, hot food. We feel that after taking our money, Secrets should make sure good, hot food is available whenever the vacationers want it. I'm on vacation and am not longer ruled by a clock. I should be able to eat when I'm hungry. And being turned away from a restaurant before it's stated closing time (time to transition from lunch to dinner, not closing for the night) is not acceptable in my book for a great review.

Room Tip: We were not given the option to choose our room with our package. If you are allowed to choose one...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia H
Dear Cynthia H,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Caribbean
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I went on a dive vacation with 19 other people. We were a large group and check-in took some time. My friend and I were surprised to find we had a king-sized bed when we had requested two beds. We went back to the desk to inquire about another room but had to wait until the next day. The bathroom is spacious but could use a towel rack or a few extra hooks to hang towels from. We had plenty of fresh towels daily and our refrigerator was kept stocked with bottled water and drinks. There are several restaurants to chose from and the food was very good but limited choices if you need gluten-free food and not much to eat after 9 pm.

The dive operator has a kiosk on the beach and they take care of your gear throughout the week and you take it off the boat on your last day of diving. As divers, we thought our balcony patio could use some hooks to hang gear where it could dry before packing it away.

The resort is on the south end of the island and a cab into town is $30 round trip, $65 a day for rental car so we stayed at the resort except for one day when we rented a jeep and went to the Mayan ruins and toured the island. The morning we were to check out, we were told to put our luggage near a column in the lobby until we returned from breakfast. Image my surprise when we returned and my bags were missing. Although the same employee who told us to place our luggage by the column was still there, he claimed not to know the whereabouts of my bags. Some speculated that it was loaded in a cab and sent to the airport. I spoke to the person at the front desk and again, nobody seemed concerned about this except me. Now my cab had arrived and I told the driver and hotel personnel that I was not getting in the cab until I found out where my luggage was and the cab was not going to leave without me either. The cab driver spoke to my friend who is fluent in Spanish and he got on the phone and called the other cab drivers. He was able to track down my bags so I got in the cab. When I arrived at the airport, someone was sitting out front with my bags.

In all, it is a very nice resort with the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. The entire resort is very clean. Be sure to go to the coffee shop for some good coffee and frozen coffee drinks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sharon E
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear SwimmingWithTheFish,

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff,. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

We sincerely apologize if there were any shortcomings in our end. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Aura Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Cullman, Al.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife always does an excellent job in selecting resorts throughout the world. We've been to Cozumel over 30 times. Our favorite is the Cozumel Palace which is excellent in every element. Regardless, due to my schedule's limited time, we were looking for a seven day trip up north. Everything was essentially booked; so, we decided to head down to Cozumel which is a short jog from our area. Regardless, we viewed a website which was rather identical to the one's we had seen for the Ritz Carlton. It appears the Secret Aura has some exceptional PR people. Bottom line: what you see on the website are some narrowly tailored areas of the complex which do not adequately represent the entire site. The good first: an exceptional Beach (of which there are few on the island); next, the property is clean and generally well manicured. The rooms are fair compared to other 5 stars (again, the Palace); yet, are generally nice and cool (absent the one night our air conditioner quit working). The problems: first, the resort claims a wide array of drinks; not true. You can call the brand if you drink whiskey; however, there was only ONE BEER available and universally utilized: green Dos Equis. It's really the only beer I will never drink; it's awful. I can stand the Amber with food; but, green Dos Equis in the HEAT ?? I swear, that stuff is just plan hard to even keep down. Worst: the FOOD. You are stuck with a menu that never changes. The Service is the absolute pits (worst I have ever seen in my life). It took us an hour to obtain Breakfast. The French restaurant is awful; I had an Onion Soup which would peel the paint off a footlocker; smelled like a wet dog and must have been drained through some Mexican's underwear prior to being dipped out of the dishwater and placed in the bowl (we ate there one nite; and that was one nite too many). I expect one good meal out of an "all inclusive". The only decent meal was from a communal Buffet which was fair at best. The People: this place draws the worst lot ever. I don't know why; maybe it's the advertising; maybe it's the price. Regardless, you will see more tattoos than on the gulf. It makes the Red-Neck Riviera look upper scale. Bottom-line: when I go to mexico, I go to enjoy the food and drink; the atmosphere too. If you are going for the former two; I don't recommend the Secret Aura. The food is below reasonable standards; and, the service is just plain despicable.

Room Tip: This is very important. Some rooms are quite a walk and with poor views. If you desire a room l...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Thomas D
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I am not one to complain and am purely going to give the good and bad. All together Arura is nice and in no way will your vacation be ruined by going here. The price we paid with flight included was not unreasonable.

Pros:
-We stayed in the preferred section and the rooms were amazing. The AC was great in August and everything was just very sleek. The preferred section also came with access to a preferred pool and access to the preferred lounge. They both had better alcohol choices and better service. We were upgraded for free so that was nice, but we did have an hour and a half check in delay (which was fine we just hung out at pool).
-There is a vast amount of wonderful staff. Everyone was very nice.
-The view at the hotel is beautiful. I felt the grounds were kept very clean.
-The slides are AWESOME! They might not seem impressive at first but add a few drinks and a bunch of happy people and it becomes a huge party. If you want to relax there are a few other pools to go to that are much quieter, but the fun pool is the main pool. Do be careful though because a few people including myself suffered some scrapes and bruises.
-Room service is awesome. It takes about an hour, but it is totally worth it.
-The french restaurant was awesome!
-Snorkeling was fun out front of the resort.

Cons:
-The food is repetitive and the choices of where to go are limited. The service is also very slow at the sit down restaurants and to get drinks during lunch and dinner. I was frustrated many times that I had been drinking and really needed some quick food. They did put some fajitas by the pool to help with that.
-Swim up bar does not exists except in the preferred pool. The swim up bar doubles as a bar up top, but the bartender stayed up top a majority of the time. Even though a good 80% of people were in water. It was annoying having to constantly get out when that was a big reason for staying at a hotel with a swim up bar.
-There are not enough bathrooms. There is one close to pool (which on stall was broken for 2-3 days) and then maybe 2-3 others that were kinda hidden. I remember multiple times I had to walk quite a while to get to the bathroom.
-I was very confused on the tipping situation. I have been to all inclusive before and last place made it more of a cash free resort. It seemed sometimes the only way to get faster service was to tip.
-DO NOT DO THE PROMOTION. They tell you they will give you a 90 min sales promotion and it turns into 3 hours. They also do not stop the promotion when you say no. I was very upset by this. They gave us and our friends a total of $250 leisure cash. We used it on an awesome tour around the island, but honestly if we had looked around we could have gotten the tour somewhere else for close to what the discount gave. That or we could have rented a Jeep and done it on our own.
-A few nights in the row our water stopped working. By the time we woke up it was working again though.

Summary:
There are better hotels on the island and on the mainland. Others said they had stayed at Secrets Capri and it was significantly better. We enjoyed our stay and I am glad we went. I do not feel ripped off, but I feel we could have stayed somewhere better for the same amount of money. I do not believe I would return or tell my friends to stay there.

Side note: I read a few people complained about a smell. Our rooms did not smell. The resort did have a sulfur smell to it and I assumed it was the ocean because when I went snorkeling it was intense. I could not smell it on main part of hotel though.

Room Tip: "Get preferred section or ask to be upgraded if room is bad" "Main pool is party poo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sierra D
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Sierra D,

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Secrets Aura that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

Euless
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I had the priveledge of staying at Secrets Cozumel for 7 nights. We had a fantastic time. The rooms were spacious and beautiful! The service was outstanding! Employees like Yared, Adrian and Marianna made our stay memorable. I can't speak enough of how the employees treated us... Even the wait staff would greet us everyday by first name. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone! Can't wait to try out other Secrets destinations.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank S80bagfinder
Conneticut
Reviewed 8 August 2014

From the moment my husband and I arrived at Secrets, we were impressed. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and had the pleasure of meeting Carlos, Fernando and Edy in Concierge Express. We booked a room in the Preferred Ocean View/Front Section as advised by many reviews on TripAdvisor and it is definitely worth the extra money. Adriana Dawn in the Preferred Club Concierge Check In treated us like Royalty. She is a lovely person and is available to make sure you enjoy your vacation. We loved our room # 113 , a preferred ocean front room in an excellent location. The room is outstanding and very large, probably about 650 sq. ft., just as large as many studio apartments in New York City. It is also very clean, luxurious with a fabulous shower and bath tub, an extremely comfortable mattress and a lovely sitting area with a couch and a small table. The outdoor balcony is amazing with a spectacular view of the ocean. There are five wonderful places to eat and we tried them all including Oceana, Bordeaux, The Market Cafe, Barefoot Grill and Windows. Gentlemen, bring a pair of pants and a short sleeve collared shirt for Bordeaux....it is well worth it. The food overall is delicious and international with several options. Sergio, Head Waiter at Windows , Oceana and the Market Cafe is an extremely hard working gentleman who will make sure you have a wonderful dining experience. His staff are all exceptional as is the staff at Bordeaux.
My husband and I went to Secrets to scuba dive and were very pleased with Dive House...great dive masters and beautiful, diversified dives. In addition to diving, Secrets has so much to offer including superior snorkeling and a daily schedule filled with events all day and night....something for everyone. All in all, the diving is fabulous, the beach and hotel are gorgeous and the staff is exceptional. There is also a wonderful spa and although we did not have time to try it , we did hear from many people how wonderful it is. We cannot wait to return to Secrets in Cozumel. Thank you for one of our best vacations. My only complaint is that a week is not long enough.

Room Tip: We loved room 113. a preferred ocean front room in a convenient location to the scuba diving docks...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AMcgConneticut
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear AMcgConneticut,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.