“Relaxing Time”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Worth, Texas
“Relaxing Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just got back from our anniversary trip. We were led to and greeted in the preferred club lounge. Had to wait a few minutes but was ok. We were 'upgraded' to a swim up room instead of the ocean view preferred club room we reserved. The room was nice but a little outdated compared to our friends with the preferred club newer room. However, we soon grew to love the swim up pool feature and also met some neighbors because of this.

The main pool near the beach is more lively than others. However, the drink service is much slower since there is no swim up area. If you want a swim up bar you have to go to the preferred club area. The bartender Jorge and waitress Isabel are incredible! They always had another drink waiting for me and always remembered our names after the first day. Isabel even laid out towels on some beach chairs for us. Another day Yared brought us food even after the bar/kitchen had closed for the day!

The music at the preferred club pool sounds like spa or elevator music. They really need to make it more upbeat and beachy since at times it was putting us to sleep!

The Manatees bar swim up part was closed. It did smell but there were people there fixing and painting it, so I assume they are aware and trying to remedy the issue.

The Market Café has a good breakfast, with made to order omelets, French toast and pancakes. Windows and Oceana were good. I felt the food was just the right amount if you ordered all four courses. The trick to not spending a long time in the restaurants is to order everything at once, then the timing seems to be ok.

The nightclub was ok, not very crowded. However, Mario makes great drinks and always had a new shot for us to try! The DJ took requests and played decent music.

We did go next door and visit the Spa, which was great. The massages were excellent. The fire dancing show was pretty good and if you want a quick bite to eat you can get hot dogs, hamburgers and quesadillas on the beach.

Snorkeling was incredible right off the dock! We saw barracudas and plenty of colorful fish! The beach does have a lot of coral but we never had an issue getting in the water. The in-water hammock was relaxing but a little hard to stay on with the waves.

We had a special dinner on the beach, which was wonderful! The food was excellent and view great. The only thing which could have been better was a sunset (it was cloudy that day) and the bugs came out at some point but they provided bug spray.

We did not attend the timeshare/owner meeting - we were warned by others. We still got coupons with your booking (without the meeting), they just try to offer paying for other services there. We felt we were better off not going.

Taxi trips are $15 to town each way and $29 back to the airport. One the way to the resort the shared shuttle is only $11 each, if you don't book in advance.

Overall a great trip and one we will remember. We would probably not return to this Secrets just because we like trying new places but will definitely try another Secrets!

Room Tip: The Preferred Club area has larger and nicer rooms. Beware of the second or third floor preferred ro...
2 Thank marq33
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear marq33,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Management Area

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Hebrew first
Spencer, Oklahoma, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Reading Trip Advisor was great preview to the resort. We upgraded our package to be in the "new" and not "renovated" area. The resort is remodeled. We prefer new construction of less than 8 years old. Read others' comments. They are very accurate. There was an odor at the VIP section pool, the birds were not as loud, the VIP rooms are huge and have wonderful decor. However, this resort cannot compare to Secrets Maroma Beach. I would not return because my preference is the luxurious standard of Maroma Beach. The sand and the beach was course and rough. Nonetheless, traveling through Cozumel in the Jeep was great. Also, we took a tour of the Mayan Caverns, our tour guide "George" Marteen was excellent! We jumped from a small cliff into a 64ft deep body of water in a cave. A great adventure. Don't accept the time share presentation. It wasted a whole day. This is an average hotel. The food was good, drinks were good. Service was very slow in the restaurants at night. Room service was really slow, too. If you go, upgrade to VIP, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to VIP for the newer rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shani N
Dear Shani N,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share such an enthusiastic review about your recent visit to Secrets Aura Cozumel. We are overjoyed to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay, specially staff, rooms and Cozumel.

Please be confident that we’ve shared your kind comments with our team as motivation to keep up with our commitment to offer truly remarkable experiences in our guests. We thank you on behalf of our team and Management.

We sincerely hope we can have the honor of being your hopes in not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We so enjoyed this Adults Only resort! We were in the Preferred Club area and it was exceptional. The rooms were cleaned everyday, the Room Service was slow but great - we took that into account and ordered accordingly. The whole resort is very clean and the staff so friendly. We enjoyed the restaurants Oceana and Windows for our lunch and always had dinner in the Bordeaux Restaurant. The food was always delicious and the drinks plentiful. The beach was awesome for snorkeling and we enjoyed the Hobi Cat. We had great service in the restaurants from Rolondo, Natalia, Alfredo, Luis, Wendy and Isabel on the beach. Checking in and out was a breeze. We would definitely come back again!

3 Thank Margaret S
Dear Margaret S,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Rowlett, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We loved this resort in Cozumel!! We have stayed at many places in Cozumel and Secrets is one if not the best!

The staff at this resort were so polite, friendly and helpful! The bartenders are some of the best I have come across in my travels. The food was great!! I was completely stuffed the whole time because we really enjoyed the food and room service. We missed dinner time one night but it turned out okay since we just called up room service. They also delivered our alcoholic beverages to the room while we got cleaned up and ready for the evening every night. It was a bit of a wait. Just call ahead before you are starving to death and it's not that big of a deal! I really can't say enough good things about the food. If you don't like seafood then have a steak, chicken or salad. There were plenty of options to have something different each day. Again it did take a bit for the main course to make it out at night but it's nice and relaxing to eat outside near the beach. Not to mention the food comes in courses so your not just sitting there waiting the whole time. I really don't understand some of the complaints on here about the food being bad or not enough choices. That;s ridiculous and you must be quite uppity or just flat out way to picky!!

Our room was nice and clean. Did have a few issues with the air making the room a bit damp. Also had a bit of a issue one night with mosquitoes getting in. It's not anything uncommon in the tropics though and not to mention we had a swim out room. I'm sure having a pool right out your door with attract mosquitoes. We loved the swim out room it was great. Out the door then down the slide to grab a drink at the swim up bar. The swim up bar was the only place we encountered rough service. The bartenders were not very friendly and didn't seem to want equal up time from the down side and the top side of the swim up bar.

Nightlife and activities were a bit slow. At the time we were there you had to walk over to the Sabor for more activities in the evening. So we just ended up at the roof top bar, lounge or in our swim up pool in the evening. I did expect a lil more action at night since this is a adult only property. We still enjoyed the evenings though :)

The beach was lovely and the hammock they had in it was like something from a picture or movie you see. There was some decent snorkeling to the right of the pier. The entrance to the water was rocky but the water was clear. Jumping off the pier into the clear blue water was a fun way to enter the ocean lol Perfect beaches are hard to come by in Cozumel since the hurricane many years ago. This beach was better than most I've experienced in Cozumel. We had no complaints. Having 2 pools and a lazy river type pool plus a jacuzzi was a added bonus.

Please do not waste your time getting suckered into the time share junk that they have at this and every resort in Mexico.

We will defiantly return to this resort!

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are wonderful. The standard swim up rooms at the back have the pool that leads to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Shondahill,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the beach,rooms and food however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Aura Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Cottonwood Heights, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Secrets Aura is gorgeous! It is right on the beach and the grounds are so clean. With a beautiful pier and sandy beach perfect for snorkling. I came with friends to scuba dive. The best thing about Secrets is the staff. The friendliest staff to be found! Not one person ever had a frown or didn't say Hi to us. And between Mariana and Adrian, the personalities were so fun. I found the food to be excellent. Maybe it was the same items on the menus but all we had to do was go to a different restaurant the next night! Or order a different item. There was plenty of selection. I never did order room service because I enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurants so much. The staff acted as though they were being tipped. The waiters in the French restaurant were amazing. Yes, the wait in Oceana were long to take our order at times and they forgot our ice cream once but when you can order all the food and drink you want, does it really matter? The rooms were spacious, very clean and the beds very comfortable. The air conditioners ran very cold which was needed in a smoldering August. The bathroom and shower were awesome though more hooks for towels would have been great. And a fan in the bathroom would be MUCH appreciated. It was a bummer to pay a taxi $20 ($15 plus tip) every time we wanted to go to "town" but it was a small price to pay when everything was all-inclusive at the resort. Great people to play sand and water volleyball with. I enjoyed every minute of my 7 days at Secrets Aura! (and really loved my 8 dives in the gorgeous waters of Cozumel!)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie P
Dear Stephanie P,

Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had read a lot about the resort before we left. I had reserved a room in the preferred section because I wanted to be in the newer rooms. We were given a room in the older section and were told that it was the preferred section. I questioned it and was told that was our room. I then went to the lobby and complained that I had requested the preferred rooms and I had expected to be in the new section. The manager called and we were placed in the newer section.
The staff was great and very friendly. Isabel and Jorge at the preferred bar were wonderful. Wendy at the Market Café was so sweet. She always had a smile on her face and tried to remember our names. Miguel at Bordeaux was a wonderful waiter. The food was good but too rich for my stomach. We learned that you do not want to wait after 8:00 to eat. It gets very crowded then. We did order room service. It took about 40 minutes to get the food but it arrived warm. Our room was cleaned each day. It was a really nice room except for the bed. I recently had back surgery and I woke up in a lot of pain each day. We enjoyed snorkeling right off the beach. My husband had a chance to go scuba diving with the dive shop. It was an incredible experience for him. The birds were our constant companions when we ate. One day an iguana came and had lunch with me. I gave it my chicken which it gobbled down. We did try the Sabor for entertainment and it was a joke. The entertainers were not very good dancers. It was comical to say the least. I did celebrate my birthday there but I did not get a cake. Just a banner on the door. The drinks were plenty. If you want the good liquor all you need to do is ask. I loved Cozumel and the staff at the resort. Not sure I would return.

1 Thank SnickerdoodlesMom
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Aura Cozumel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear SnickerdoodlesMom,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the beach,food and staff however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Secrets Aura Cozumel.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The place is very nice. Plenty of alcohol and the event staff was awesome. Mario (Iron Man) was excellent when we had our honeymoon beach dinner! If you are a snorkeler this place has a reef second only to Australia's great barrier.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lockjawcrazy
Dear lockjawcrazy,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share such an enthusiastic review about your recent visit to Secrets Aura Cozumel. We are overjoyed to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay.

Management Area
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 51 in Cozumel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,603 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Secrets Aura Cozumel? Share your experiences!