“Return to Cozumel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Return to Cozumel”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Our second trip to Cozumel and Villa Escondida was wonderful. My wife and I spent six nights
(the first week of March) at 'Villa' with it's gracious owners Dave and Magda, who are always more than helpful answering any questions we had about the island or things to do. This is one of the few B&B's, during our many travels, that my wife and I really miss after returning home.
The Mexican culture and Cozumel are a unique vacation experience. Staying a few days at
Villa Escondida certainly enhances that experience, you will not find better accommodations.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank steven T
islacozumel, Owner at Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you Steve and Barbara for returning to Villa Escondida and to our beautiful and beloved Cozumel island which you seem to enjoy as much as we do. We truly appreciate you taking the moment to write a few lines about your visit with us....it is great motivation to keep doing what we love!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed at Villa Escondida B&B 2 years ago and had an amazing stay. See you can look up our previous review. This week long stay was every bit as wonderful as before. Escondida means hidden and behind that door on 10th Ave is a hidden place of lush green gardens, refreshing pool, awesome Mexican breakfasts (thanks Magda), comfortable, private and spacious rooms but best of all welcoming and gracious hosts - David and Magda.
My brother and his wife joined us this year for their first time at Villa Escondida. It was great to see them marvel at all the characteristics that we knew to be true in this oasis in the heart of San Miguel. Each day we chose different restaurants that were all with in minutes walking. I have reviewed many of these which vary from " taco joints" to what I would consider 5 star establishments. Nothing is better then walking through to the back garden and enjoying supper under the stars and cooling breezes. And then returning to Villa Escondida to enjoy the garden there.
I will end this review as I titled our first one written 2 years ago - "Why would you stay anywhere else" Enjoy

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Winnipeg_couple99
islacozumel, Owner at Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Bryan and Sandra, your visit with us was as delightful as the previous one...thank you again for your nice words about our place and Cozumel! hugs!
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We love this wonderful B and B and cannot wait to return in 2014....(we have stayed here two different visits in the past before returning to our condo in the north zone.) Clean, great beds, comfortable rooms, beautiful gardens, nice clean pool, steps away from the square..BEST BREAKFAST EVER on the island made by Magda...and most of all, just chatting with Dave and Magda makes you feel like you are home! They are a wealth of info for places to go and things to do, and even what to buy at the supermarkets! See you in 2014!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
VillaEscondida, Owner at Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Ron and Sue are wonderful guests...and now friends!! we met them a few years ago when their daughter Stacey and husband Joel stayed with us...since then, we have always enjoyed their visits to Villa Escondida! thank you Ron and Sue!
East Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Yes, a hidden gem behind a simple nondescript exterior hence the name "escondida". A very easy walk from the ferry. Once through the entrance the beauty of the landscaping and the pool is awesome. It doesn't end there, sleep was heavenly. I had to question Magda on what type of mattress and pillows she used, it was that comfortable! In the morning, she makes a beautiful and tasty fresh fruit platter with yogurt and several types of fruit. The breakfast entree's are so tasty and original, no doubt she is blessed with being an excellent cook, and as David says, she is very gracious & attractive as well! David, was also very helpful. I mentioned renting a condo for a month, sometime in the future. David then took me for a drive to see the condo that they rent out! If you are looking for longer term stay on the island you should ask David/Magda about renting it out!! The La Choza restaurant is right across the street, which makes it very handy for meals or even a late night appetizer.. The internet works very well as I watched a movie late one night on "netflix."

One thing about Villa Escondida.. it seem a bit structured, for those of us not on a routine. The first morning I rose out of bed at 6:30 and went looking for coffee- there was none. If I would have mentioned it the night before or knocked on their door, I'm sure that they would have supplied me with a cup. 45 min later I went down and it was out- problem is I never know what time I'm getting up unless I'm diving on that day. I enjoy a cup of coffee upon rising from bed. The last morning, they served breakfast at 8am that morning. I had woken up at 6am and knowing there was no coffee went back to sleep. At 8:30 David was calling thru my open window "Are you okay in there" it startled me awake & I responded "yes what time is it?" He responded 8:30. I was kind of taken back about being woke up.. Also, in the mornings I like to wake up before doing a lot of socializing- breakfast was served at a small round table that everyone sits at. That particular morning, I rushed down so as not to hold them up for the making of "my" breakfast but everyone was coffee'd up & talking while I was still trying to open my eyes and eat, lol.

There was no sheet of "useful information" which may have helped. Next time I will bring some instant coffee for when I am up "too early", which is what I do when I stay at other bed and breakfast locations on the island. I will also be diving so my morning will start at a specific time.

Overall, Villa Escondida, was a great place to stay, as the reviews indicate. I would highly recommend it to anyone coming to the island. I have stayed at another bed and breakfast called the Coral Reef Inn and would also highly recommended it. The island is awesome and we are lucky to have so many good choices on where to stay!! I plan on checking some other b&b's out in the future, just for the variety and to also meet new people who live on the island. I totally recommend the small "Inns" over the large hotels. :-)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Harley M
Villa Escondida is not an structured B&B. We are very flexible in our breakfast schedules and we always accomodate them to satisfy our guests who are divers and need to be off the door by 7:45 am or earlier as long as we are notified. Otherwise our breakfasts are generally served between 7:30 and 9:30 am but coffee and tea are available earlier if requested.
We care for our guests and as concerned hosts, if you are here alone and receiving dental surgery and taking medicines, David may knock on your door late in the morning to make sure you are "all right".
Truly;
David and Magda
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed in cozumel for a few days with Magda and David, I was diving most days so couldnt savour Magdas famous full breakfasts, but the lighter breakfasts I had were great.

rooms were spotless, had really efficient air con - we only put it on once though as the building is nice as cool, large bathrooms and nice painted basins.

We went fishing with David for 1 day, was boring for my wife but i enjoyed myself.

David also took us for a drive around the island to show us the sights, we had dinner and then a few drinks in the town- thank you once again David, greatly appreciated.

We recommend anyone visiting Cozumel to contact Magda and David.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frrb
islacozumel, Owner at Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Robert, thank you again for staying at Villa Escondida; we are happy that you enjoyed your visit to Cozumel! diving, fishing, rest and relaxing, exploring....that's what our island is about!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 February 2013

My husband and I just got back from our second stay at Villa Escondida, and everything was just as fantastic as we had remembered. I had been waiting over a year to eat Magda's amazing breakfasts again (my favorite food on Cozumel), and we were very pleased with the restaurants they recommended for dinner as well. Villa Escondida is in the perfect location - walking distance to anywhere in town, and has its own parking lot if you choose to rent a car to explore the rest of the island. Nice amenities - comfortable beds, air conditioning if you need it (we always prefer open windows and a fan), books and board games to borrow, purified water, and access to fridge, freezer, microwave, and grill. The grounds are beautiful - on rainy days, we were perfectly content to lay in the hammocks outside our room overlooking the pool and garden. David and Magda are wonderful with recommending and helping to arrange any type of activity or excursion you might want, suggesting a good beach for the day, or just chatting over a cup of coffee or a beer. My only complaint is that it was very difficulty to come home to snow and ice after such a lovely and relaxing vacation! We're already looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ellie E
VillaEscondida, Owner at Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Thank you Ellie and Chris for coming back to Villa Escondida! it is a pleasure to know you enjoy our small piece of heaven as much as we do!
Cape Cod
Reviewed 28 January 2013

If you like a quiet, relaxing and beautiful place with welcoming and helpful hosts, Villa Escondida is where you must stay on Cozumel. All the reviews are right on - the rooms are lovely, the hosts are more than willing to answer lots of questions and make any arrangements you might need, and yes, the breakfasts are delicious. We loved the omelets filled with pumpkin blossoms. The location is excellent - just a few blocks from the main square.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely - two upstairs (with more light) and two downstairs.