My husband and I were heading to Cozumel for the weekend and decided to skip the all-inclusive hotels and stay at a B&B. We’ve been to Cozumel about four times together and have always stayed at a big hotel, so this time we wanted to spend some time downtown and see a different side of the island. Villa Escondida did not disappoint.
The first big bonus of this property is that it is just a few blocks from the passenger ferry from Playa del Carmen, so we were able to walk with our bags to the B&B and avoid having to pay for a taxi. We had let David & Magda know that we would be arriving late, and they waited up for us. They showed up right to our room and we went straight to bed.
The next day we took a look around the grounds and realized it is quite spacious, definitely the largest B&B in terms of size that we’ve ever stayed at. The main house in the front has the kitchen, a patio where breakfast is served, and a lounge area for guests with a water cooler, fridge, sitting area and small library. Behind that is the pool and garden, and in the back is a separate building with the four guest rooms, two on the ground floor and two on the second floor. We stayed in #3, the first one on the second floor. A private staircase led up to our door.
Our room was large and clean with an updated bathroom (shower only) and little Mexican touches. The bed was firm, but that has been our experience at almost all hotels and B&B’s in Mexico. The room also had a ceiling fan and individual air-conditioning unit. The hot water was quick and plentiful, and the A/C was quite cold. The room had two bath towels and two beach/pool towels. Soap was provided but not shampoo or conditioner.
The breakfasts were amazing, definitely the most gourmet breakfast we’ve had at a B&B. Delicious coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, hot rolls, and a beautifully presented fruit plate started every breakfast. Then came the main dish, which was a traditional Mexican dish (but palatable for American tastes) which during our time there was chicken crepes with a creamy poblano sauce, chilaquiles with red sauce, and huevos motuleños (a traditional Yucatecan dish). Magda clearly takes pride in her work, making all the dishes including sauces from scratch and always with a restaurant-quality presentation.
The location of the B&B was perfect, walkable to the main plaza and with lots of great restaurants and stores within just a few blocks. The beachfront is also just two blocks away.
The only negatives I could mention would be that the staircase to our room was not lit, making it a little dangerous at night, and also being in the downtown there was some noise from the area bars at night and a nearby church tolling its bells early in the morning on Sunday. The weather was cool for us so we didn’t need the A/C or ceiling fan, but if we’d had it on I don’t think we would have heard anything. Within the B&B itself it was extremely quiet.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Villa Escondida and would recommend it for anyone looking for an upscale B&B in the middle of it all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Escondida is located only 0.3 miles from the city's main plaza and downtown square, so we are in the heart of everything!! We are a hotel-styled B&B ideal for adult travellers who want local attractions at their doorsteps. We have 4 private guest rooms with bathroom, swimming pool, lounge area with fridge and microwave, FREE WiFi, bicycles, gated parking, and personalized attention! We will be happy to help you organize all desired activities: massages, hair salon services, tours, private tours, fishing in kayaks, and more! Great dining, piers, the main plaza, local shops and more are all a short walk from this hidden Villa. David and Magda are looking forward to have you as guests in their home located in the heart of downtown Cozumel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Escondida Bed And Breakfast
- Villa Escondida Hotel Cozumel