“A hotel with wonderful colors”

Hotel La Casona Real
Ranked #35 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Vancouver Island, Canada
“A hotel with wonderful colors”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 days in this cozy hotel. The staff was very pleasant and we were able to speak some spanish with them. There was a coffee in the lobby in the morning were you could sit and watch San Miguel wake up. The bed was very comfortable. This is a real Mexican hotel
as it was 30 years ago with bright colors and and lots of character. I would recommend anyone that want to stay in the real Mexico

Room Tip: the rooms upstairs are very nice thats where we stayed
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I planned on staying there for a few days and see how it was, well after 4 days I decided to stay there for 3 more weeks. The hotel was clean, centrally located, great pool, great staff they took care of all the things I needed and had all the info I needed. The cost was very reasonable. There were several other people that stayed there for extended periods. I dont dive but there were several groups of divers thy hung there equipment near the pool to dry each day they wen,t out.

The only down side was the WIFI it worked okay in the lobby sometimes in my room and never by the pool.

They told me they were going to upgrade the WIFI to include the pool area.

I will be staying there again next year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
FLORIDA
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Once again myself and two other friends spent most of february 2013 at this hotel. We love to read the reviews of people that must live in a sterile capsule and expect the same as a two hundred night hotel from the less tan $50 a night one, We had three separate rooms and you will never find cleaner rooms. For the price you are within walking distance to the downtown plaza, shops and a large supermarket around the corner. A cab ride to the beaches Yes the water goes out for a few hours once in a while, bu from the cozumel city water system changing things not the hotel. The hotel employees are the best and the owners are the most wonderful people ive ever met in cozumel. If you want to enjoy cozumel, the cozumel way enjoy this small hotel. If not go to the all inclusive where my cousins stayed and had mold smell and cock rouches for $250 a night plus had to take a cab to town at night $16 each time. Remember cock rouches live anywhere especially where I live in Florida. Thank you La casona real for another great time in cozumel. Jim Bakos Florida

Room Tip: enjoy yourself as a local'
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SMILEYJO
Norwalk, Iowa
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here in February from the 9th to the 19th and we thought it was a nice place for the money. Our room was small but had a large walk-in shower we had a king size bed that wasn't to hard by mexican standards. There wasn't a lot of room for storage but we made do, if the closet had some extra hangers and more shelves that would alleviate the storage problem. The A.C. worked great and we didn't have any of the noise problems or hot water problems reported by other post on this sight. It has a great location if you want to be where the entertainment is it's only a 4 block walk to the main plaza.There is a full grocery store right around the corner where you can get just about anything you need it also has an ATM, also there is a money exchange and a Pemex gas station just down the street and vehicle parking right out front of the hotel. I guess my only disappointment with the hotel was the pool and I don't know if it was because of the time of year or if it just never gets enough sunlight but the water was so cold you couldn't get in it. Everyone that worked there made us feel right at home and were very friendly they also have a small resturant and bar but we didn't use it, probably would have if we could have used the pool. All in all it's a great place to stay if you like traveling on a budget as far as a place for kids I I'm not sure about that because of the pool situation because there's not much to do during the day except shopping so with out the pool the kids might be bored or the cold water might not bother them.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mriles-Iowa
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

If you're used to independent travel, this is a great value hotel. Easy 10min walk straight up from the ferry terminal. Half the rooms are pool side and half street side - which may be noisy. We had a pool side room which was clean, quiet and comfortable. My advice is check in as early as possible so you have a chance of changing your room if you get the one other travellers have complained about. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013
Euless, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This hotel is a con waiting to happen! I had booked my room through Hotels.Com, had it reserved and prepaid, yet when I arrived at the lobby to check in, they told me there was no availability. The woman at the front desk did not speak english, and in what I could understand, she was trying to tell me we were on our own and that there were more hotels down the road. I presented her the prepaid invoice, yet it did not seem to change her demeanor any. She finally made a call and we were led to a room...if you want to call it a room! The room reeked of mold and mildew, and the windows were barricaded with bars, making us feel like we were in a jail cell...we will NEVER consider this dump again and I urge all travellers to do the same...this hotel staff lies and cheats people, as they tried to do us!

Room Tip: If you go down the road to where the water taxi's leave for Playa Del Carmen, you'll have mu...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Hassan R
Crestview, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This hotel was a decent value. I stayed here with two friends for 4 nights December 7-10.
Pros:
--hot water
--decent beds
--great location (especially convenient to the supermarket "san francisco" and the delicious taqueria "El Pique"
--inexpensive for Cozumel when splitting the cost
--wifi
--pool
--friendly staff (very little English spoken though)
--very clean rooms
--A/C included
Cons:
--hot water was hot! and the shower was very testy
--couldn't get a wifi signal in the room (we were upstairs and the first room on the left)
--cockroaches running around at night
--room didn't have adequate ventilation
--restaurant attached to the hotel is sometimes open and sometimes not and the staff doesn't know when it opens. Don't count on being able to eat at the hotel.
--No shared kitchen

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends