“They May Be Overbooking”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“They May Be Overbooking”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We did not get the room we prepaid and had to settle for an inferior room for two nights, and they tried to "make good" by elevating to a "better" room for three nights. Not too happy about it, and it happened to at least two other couples we talked with. The location, the restaurants, and the pools are great, and this could go from average to very good if you get the room you envisioned. One recommendation -- do not pay for the all-inclusive; there are some good restaurants within walking distance. The check-in staff tries to pressure you to make a decision on all-inclusive or not as soon as you arrive, and if this is your first visit, you may not know that there are some true Mexican restaurants two blocks away -- you don't have to settle for an elegant Thai restaurants or a ho-hum buffet on site.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DuaneSandul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My partner and I stayed at Privilege Aluxes at the end of May. We had reserved a Platinum Suite, which was price-matched to Expedia and since we reserved directly with the hotel online, our door to door transportation was included. I highly recommend this process.

Getting there was a breeze. At check in we were told our room wouldn't be ready until 3pm (it was about 1:30 at the time), so we changed clothes and headed out for lunch and to the pool. We were given the gold bands but I'm still not sure what the difference was between the gold and the blue. The front desk is terrible at providing information and it was not unusual to have guests asking other guests where things were located, how to find the towel exchange, etc. Since we were there early we were able to scope out the hotel, the restaurants, the beach and the pool pretty easily. Unfortunately the room wasn't ready at 3...or 4. It wasn't until closer to 4:30 and after asking repeatedly for an estimated time that we were able to get into our room. Jaime brought our bags up and was very helpful with any questions that we had at that time.

Our room was 542. The view was truly amazing and well worth the money. I would not hesitate to get another Platinum Suite when we return. These suites have a private plunge pool, which in theory is great, but not so perfect in function. Either they are not equipped with "skimmers" or "filters" or they did not work the entire time we were there. We repeatedly asked to have it cleaned and for someone to check the filters, and each time the hotel obliged quickly. Unfortunately even after they skimmed the pool by hand it was somewhat dirty and full of gnats and other particles that were too small to be caught by the net. Even with this, I would still request this room as the view was priceless.

I believe the rooms have been described well--beds are hard, no drawers, etc. One of my favorite parts of the suite was the upstairs shower--the door opens to the very large balcony/deck/pool area, which made you feel like you were showering outside.

Drinks and food at the restaurants and bars are average to good, with great service. The beach service was amazing and we rarely waited more than 20 minutes between drinks (lunch can be had on the beach as well). You never have to leave your chair if you choose not to. The house wines were actually quite good, an unexpected surprise.

The beach itself was beautiful and the water was crystal clear. Of note, several large boats dock just up from the beach and drop off visitors from Cancun (I think). Most tend to congregate to the upper beach or the beach/bar next door and were no bother. As this is not a private beach, you may also encounter guests from other hotels, locals, etc. For us that made it an even more unique experience. Many vendors sell on the beach, however security keeps a watchful eye on them and always asked them to move behind the roped off area when they ventured too close.

The cleanliness of the hotel was probably about average. Though our bed was made each day (and new towels provided), I wouldn't say housekeeping did much cleaning. Our refrigerator also was not restocked every day, though a quick call to the front desk fixed this. On our next to last day, I believe they sprayed for cockroaches as we returned to the hotel to find a number of them in the process of dying along the corridors and in the walkways. Later that night we found a large one in our room as well. Though it's gross, it's not unexpected from a large resort with lots of people and food, I just wish they would have cleaned them up immediately rather than leaving many for the next days clean up.

Like others we rented a golf cart to see the island for an afternoon. For us, 9a-5p was plenty (do not miss seeing the views at Punta Sur, they are unforgettable). We also went on a snorkeling excursion with Casa del Buceo, which I highly recommend. We had our own tour earlier in the morning to avoid all of the boats that tend to take our large groups. I believe we paid $35 USD per person for approximately two hours and our guide was Enrique.

As I've said, even with the issues described, we have decided that this is the place for us. The island itself is a true gem. The hotel was certainly worth what we paid, even with the minor problems. Additionally, it attracts a very diverse clientele, and gay travelers should feel welcome here. During our visit we encountered a number of other gay couples who were staying at the hotel as well.

Overall this was an amazing trip. Much of it was due to the beauty of the island itself, however Privileges definitely met our expectations.

12 Thank lsojaw
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We are a gay couple traveling for our 7th anniversary and we were treated very nicely and respectful. The hotel, location and beach are awesome. Our room was very nice, huge and had a very good view. I loved the huge bathroom with the walk in shower. We did the all inclusive and it was very well worth it. The food was great and we really loved eating on the beach every night at Cafe del Mar. We will definately be back.

2 Thank cotx13
Birmingham, AL USA
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My husband and I were at the PA for a week in May. My daughter,24, and her boyfriend came for 5 days due to university obligations. We stayed in the Presidential Suite in building five and it was great! We travel alot including 5 star hotels in the U.S. as well as in other countries. We usually cruise about four times a year. By far, if I could only choose one vacation a year, it would be to Privilege Aluxes, Isla Mujeres. The General Manager, Carlos Marin, has done a wonderful job making sure everything is running smoothly. He is a hands on manager. You see him all the time around the property making sure everything is running right. The rooms were always clean and the food is great! The grounds are beautiful, the pool is always clean, the beach area is always cleaned and groomed daily. We will continue to go to PA on a yearly basis. My daughter loved it so much that she and her friends want to go there for their graduation from Vet school next year! The whole staff is so friendly from the front desk all the way to the servers on the beach and in between! Last year we stayed in a premium platinum suite and loved it as well. PA is close to everything and especially the beautiful beach. If you want to be pampered, this is the place to go! I have told many people about PA and they have agreed with me after going! Carlos, we will be back next year for our fifth trip, if not before! Thank you and your staff for making our vacation wonderful!

11 Thank ALgal4AU
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Well, I will try to write a review that helps.
The GOOD – The hotel is very nice and everyone is nice. The room was not ready so they upgraded our room to this huge suite. Looks just like all the pics. The resort itself is great. We chose not to do the all-inclusive until the last day and paid $80 to upgrade. Great idea if you are going to drink a lot. If not a big drinker do not do the AI. The restaurants down the street are terrific and reasonable. I got 3 lobster tails with sides and 2 margi’s and 2 shots with a $15 tip was under $50. The breakfast buffet is very nice.
The BAD – I only ate at Satays but we ate with 2 other couples and none of the food was good. I would have much rather eaten out than to eat there again. The beach is not exactly attached to the resort. You have to walk around the resort, cross a small street and then arrive at the beach. Not a deal but one worth considering. You have to sign for EVERYTHING. Apparently this resort is either owned, run or was set up by an accountant. I have been all over the Caribbean and never have experienced this. I think I signed less paperwork at my house closing. They really want to track every penny. It does get annoying. Like before, not a big deal but start adding them up and you get the picture. At least for breakfast, order your drink first as it will take 10-15 minutes to arrive. Once it arrives, get your tab because you have to sign for you food (yes, even if it is free) and that takes another 10-15 minutes. They could improve their service 100% if they stopped worrying about every penny going in or out.
The UGLY – I have only one thing in this category. This hotel advertises the resort as an adult-oriented hotel. There were more kids than at Disney. They were not supervised by their parents and ran and screamed at will. At dinner I was asked to watch my language for saying the S word by a family with their kids. I respectfully declined and they moved. Either make this an adult oriented facility or not. I came here because it was supposed to be adult oriented and it is clearly not. I would love to bring my daughter here but until you make it a family oriented facility, I will respect everyone and not bring her.
THINGS TO DO – Rent a golf cart. Down the street at Bahio they rent one for $40 from 8-5 and $50 for 24 hours. Go see the island. It is just beautiful. Book a trip with Casa Del Buceo Dive Shop. We did a 2 reef snorkeling trip for $70 for the both of us. My wife is a little timid and he stayed with her the whole time. It was very nice. Eat on Hidalgo St. great food, very reasonable. You can haggle your meal down in cost. If you shop, haggle, haggle, haggle. It works great and is fun. Go to JAX Bar across the street from the resort. Although I did not eat there, the food did look good. Buckets of Negro Madelo Light for $6. Henry will take good care of you.
Getting here – you can take the bus for cheap but I found if you take a shared private bus to the Cancun ferry, then on the way back, take the ferry to Puerto Juarez and catch a cab from there back to the airport, you save time and money. Do not get a cab in the port. Go outside as you will get a better deal.
SUMMARY – Overall we had a terrific time. All of the issues with the resort are very minor. You can always find something to complain about if you look hard enough. I would go back in a heart beat. The resort, people, island, culture just cannot be beat.

4 Thank dawsonk
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My girlfriend and I spend 7 days in late April here, and couldn't have had a better time. We did the all-inclusive package with an ocean view suite. We were early for check in, but they led us right to our room. As for the Suite, I was truly surprised. It actually looked a lot nicer than the pictures online did. The only downside was that the air conditioning vent in the bedroom didn't work. We called about this, but even after they "fixed" it, it was a no go. So, to solve this, we just left the AC cranked way down in the rest of the room all day, and it was comfortable. The bed was a bit hard, but we were generally so wiped out at the end of every day I could have slept in the hallway and been fine.
One of our favorite features was the swim up bar in the pool. Many a lazy afternoon was spent there, and when Ponce was bar-tending it was sure to be a good afternoon. He will definitely take care of you, so make sure to take care of him. It's also a great place to meet some of the other resort guests, and we met some really cool couples. The beach-side restaurant was very good, and had such a beautiful view and feel to it. There's plenty of shade, and seating, or you can find a couple chairs on the beach in the shade, and they'll bring food and drinks to you there. The service is a bit slow when you're at the beach chairs, but it's an island vacation. I learned quickly that there's no point in trying to rush anything on Isla Mujeres, and any plans we made were definitely just guidelines. It's nice to slow down, and enjoy the slower pace of the island anyway. We never made it to Satay, but we heard mixed reviews about that restaurant. The buffet inside the hotel was really good though. We ate breakfast there almost every day, and it was a good plan to have something on the stomach earlyl for several busy, full days. Even though we did the all inclusive, we definitely didn't eat a lot of our meals at the resort. We liked having to not worry if we wanted something to eat while at the resort, but there are a ton of really good, cheap restaurants surrounding the resort. I highly recommend ceviche at Picus, and any kind of fish at Ballyhoo. Both had some of the freshest seafood we had there, and that's saying a lot since every place there has great fresh fish it seems.
I'll wrap this up with a couple more tips on what to do while there. First, the Garrafon park is well worth the money. Snorkeling and the zip line were a lot of fun even though the water was a bit rough the day we went. They sell you an inclusive package at the park. make sure to take advantage of the bar when you're done with activities. Carlos made sure I never had an empty cup, and when they were closing up for the day, extra beer, and shots started magically appearing.
We rented a car for this trip, and I do NOT recommend it. The majority of the shops and restaurants are within walking distance, and the other end of the island can be reached with a cheap golf cart rental. The main reason we rented one was to drive to Chichen Itza. Again, I recommend just spending the money on one of the bus tours. We got lost on the way back, and drove through some parts of Mexico most tourists don't get to or want to see.
Hidalgo is where the nightlife is, if you're looking to get out and do something fun in the evening. We didn't discover this until later in the week. The beach front area turns into a ghost town at night, but Hidalgo is in full swing. Make sure to check out the Argentinian restaurant if nothing else for drinks. Luis, one of the bartenders quickly became a friend.
One of the only downsides are the shopkeepers that will hound you to come check out their stores, or the guys trying to rent out mopeds and golf carts. During the first part of the week, we'd smile, and say no thank you. Towards the end of the week, I was so tired of it, I'd just completely ignore them. It's a minor annoyance though to be in paradise.
All in all, this was the best vacation I've ever had. Next time I'll probably not try to stretch ourselves quite so thin, and just enjoy lounging at the resort which is beautiful. The island and resort were a perfect choice for us. We're not the type to go clubbing all night, but we like to have a few drinks and have some fun, and an adults oriented resort was certainly our speed. I highly recommend this place, and I truly want to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JohnCarcinogen
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 25 May 2011

First, I will warn you that this may be long...
My boyfriend and I sadly returned home to go back to work after 8 days at this lovely hotel on Sunday. A difficult start as an unplanned emergency did not allow us to travel together to get there. A little un-nerved at the prospect of a single female traveling out of the country navigating planes, cabs & ferrys alone, we still decided to go forward and he would catch up with me in 24 hours. From the moment I stepped out of the airport, as promised the hotel had arranged for a driver to be there with a sign with my name who got me safely and quickly to the ferry port, handed me my ticket and off I went, only to be met at the other side by another great driver that got me to the hotel in about 3 minutes. The transportation the hotel provided never missed a beat, arriving and departing. It made what could have been a very long, somewhat scary day for me day, SO easy.
Before I give the hotel review, I need to say that we have been to Villa Rolandi, LeBlanc, Royal Hideaway, Secrets Maroma, Meridien, Sun Palace and Riu Las Americas.
We were seeking a more casual, relaxed experience this time around although the bar was raised high from our past trips, we went on this trip based on the mixed reviews not really knowing what to expect.

CHECK IN:
Jaime greeted me at the door handed me a well deserved glass of champagne, while Pamela, (with the beautiful smile) did a very smooth, quick check in.
ROOM:
Presidential Suite room 453. SIMPLY STUNNING.
We originaly booked this room thinking that my boyfriends mom would be joining us, hence the second bedroom. It was way too much space for two, but would probably be great for 2 couples or family traveling together. There has been so much said about the actual rooms and amenities, I will spare you. Beyond expectation. Any of the rooftop suites (or ocean view rooms with the Jacuzzi on the balcony would have been just fine as well.) Linens were sparkling and room spotless everyday, not just on check in.
Carmen took care of us all week, there was no request not met. Beds were extremley hard, but dang I come from Temperpedic-ville.
Lived from early to late on the beautiful beach, and embarrassed to say other than a few mornings for cappacino's on the patio, did not utilize the pool or loungers in the room as much as we thought we would have with an elderly goddess with us!
FOOD:
Huge, if not the most important thing for us when traveling. We both cook, food is probably our main hobby. We did the all inclusive and I was so happy that we did. We love our cocktails on the beach, which as anybody knows can add up quick over 8 days! Having read so much about the wonderful food available on the Island to explore, we figured that even if we just had our breakfast, wonderful coffee, cocktail, snacks, lunch on the beach, after dinner liquor's etc. it would pay for itself, and it did!
We did the buffett several mornings, always a great selection, fresh juice, fruit, omlettes etc. Also room service breakfast, always hot & quick.
Had dinner on the beach several nights. (Thank you David!, for making me feel so comfortable that first night before my boyfriend arrived, with a perfect meal of grilled fish, salad and the best chocolate cake I have ever had for the weary traveler, the Szambuca didnt hurt either! :)) We ate there two more nights. Food always great, service beyond excellent. Pretty much everything coming out of that kitchen from lunch thru dinner was excellent. Hot food, always hot. Cold food even on really hots days served perfectly.
Special shout out to Enrique, that kept us fed and pleasantly buzzed on the beach all week!
Thank you to Goran, and smiling Pedro for making my birthday and the whole week so memorable! The rest of the evenings we wandered out for dinner. Had compiled a list from everyone that was kind on this forum to recommed what they loved. Olivias was worth a return trip, we went twice. Brisas Grill, one of the best seafood dinners we had ever had. Sunset Grill, good, not great for the cost. Suggest you go for appetizers and sunset and skip the entrees. Angelos downtown, great but expensive for what we got.
Make it to Qubano for lunch one day, worth getting off the beach for!
We never made it to Satay, as we ran out of time but fellow guests said it was really good.
HIGHLIGHTS:
Whale Shark Tour-Although my boyfriend is a certified diver, I however could potentially drown in our pool if a dive mask is involved. After meeting several great couples (there were 4 couples on our tour) at our hotel, we decided to go for it, me probably being the weakest swimmer in the bunch. There are no words to decribe seeing these animals in the middle of open water. Oddly enough one of the gals was a marine biologist from Germany, who had been around the world trying to see them for the first time. No words to describe the experience, just go. Even if you just stay on the boat like I did after my first swim it will be the chance of lifetime. We stopped at the Island of Contoy, about 40 minutes by boat from the hotel on the way home, another don't miss excursion. It is a natural preserve, with the most beautiful clear water I think any of us have ever seen. If you get the opportunity to even just do that, do not hesitate.

Guerillmo G Man (sp), front bell desk-Thank you for assisting my guy to make such a perfect birthday for me. He arranged by surprise for our room to be filled with the most beautiful flowers and champagne a girl could ever ask for.

SUMMARY:
When planning this vacation we both decided we did not want to have to dress up for dinner although we wanted all the amenities that came along with that process. Well we found it at this gem of a hotel, and this Island. Ladies, leave your heels at home. As the week wore on, and we were able to delight in the company of our fellow guests, and the entire lovely crew that were our hosts, we knew we found a place we would return to as often as we could. (We are in the process of booking now for August :)
We met people that came from every area of the world, heard every language spoken, and made some some wonderful friends. In closing, I do want to address the prior review regarding discrimination at this hotel, it simply does not exist. I had never been in such a wonderful melting pot of every culture, skin color, demographic & sexual preference that we have just experienced on this one beach, it was perfect, and everyone was treated royally, regardless of room type or skin color.
Hats off to you Manager Carlos! See all of you this August.
(Since this is my first review EVER, if there is not a spell check button i can find before I submit, please excuse me!!)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PalmSpringsSusan