“Good but not great, needs improvement”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our second visit to Isla, which is a great little island where you are not segregated from the local community. We like that. It was our first visit to this resort which was just being built last time we were here. Our last visits to the area were to RIU resorts in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. That makes it difficult for this small resort to shine. The service was very good, the location was very good. The beach which is shared with the locals for the 25 yards nearest the water was very pretty.
The food was a disappointment, and we are not very picky. The breakfast buffet was only OK and the dinner buffets were bad. After the first two nights we did not go back to the buffet.. We enjoyed SATAY, the Asian restaurant. We also enjoyed the beach restaurant the last two nights. Food was OK, but better than the buffet. They even had some live entertainment. The mini bar in the room was barely stocked. Just a few coronas and sodas. And the kitchenette had not one glass or utensil. But very little information is given out about what is going on.
The lobby looked a little worn. The bed was good but the room could have used a little more TLC. We stayed in a platinum suite. Large room with a second story balcony with a plunge pool. The large main room, which had a kitchenette, was sparsely furnished with only a sofa and two offomans. It could have used a table and chairs as there is plenty of room. For a resort with mostly english speaking guests, they didnt have one channel on the tv that was in english. They didnt' even have a channel guide. No CNN etc. So we didn't watch TV, which is OK. Why bother to have the TVs?
The staff worked hard and was very accommodating. Sergio, who served drinks and food on the beach made us tired just watching how hard he worked. He was excellent. All staff were very good. We felt very secure as they have round the clock security guards and the beach entrance, which has a local street running between the hotel and the beach. There is also a major national police presence on the beaches and in town.
Unlike other all inclusive resorts where we have stayed, you have to sign for every drink tab or dinner. i guess this is because they also offer plans that are not all inclusive. it made things more complicated.
I guess if you have not stayed at one of the high rated all inclusives, you will like this resort. It is smaller and that is a plus.

1  Thank Frank282856
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

First of all, we thank you for your time taken on making these valuable comments which are the best assistance in our daily improvement to get the highest standards in all the hotel areas.
We are very disappointed to learn that the food in the buffet did not meet your expectations, we would like to assure you that we are currently dealing with this situation and taking it seriously to adequate it to the hotel´s standards.

We are glad that you enjoyed Satay and the beach restaurant receiving a great service from our team. We agree with your comments regarding the location, the beautiful beach and the security feeling as we want our guest to feel like at home.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back next time to offer a flawless experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,036)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from a great week at the Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres.This was our 4th trip there and we were not disappointed one bit.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly and taken to our room...At first...I was disappointed in our room as it had a city view of the cemetery and street. I almost went down to request a room change..but didn't..I was able to watch the most glorious sunrises from our balcony...and use the Jacuzzi at night with privacy.We also watched th local traffic..including a military dedication of a statue.
Our days started with a nice breakfast buffet each morning...the servers are pleasant and remember everything we like.The omelet chef is awesome!!!
But the beach is our favorite place...and that why we keep returning...All of the waiters at the beach are amazing and hard working...but Antonio really is great!!we ate great lunches at the beach.
One night we ate dinner on the beach...and the mahi mahi was delicious!!And I discovered the coconut ice cream for dessert...Oh my!!!!
We love Isla Mujeres AND the Privilege Aluxes...and I am counting the days until I return next year..(I just hope we get a ocean front view when we come back next year!!)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeannine1125
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

We are grateful for your preference and for sharing your good comments.
Privilege Aluxes seeks to provide experiences and services based on criteria of excellence, it is very flattering ti read that you loved your stay and received the best service.

We will always be at your disposal and we look forward to seeing you soon for the 5th in this wonderful destination.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at PA a couple of weeks ago. This was our first time on IM and our first time doing an all-inclusive. The hotel/grounds/beach are beautiful. It is extremely clean, well-kept, and very safe. We would be out fairly late...and there was always a security person on duty actively patroling the resort and beach. We were lucky enough to be there during the lunar eclipse so we were up til about 2:30 am watching it from a beach chair. I think we were the only ones up with the exception of the security person! Couldn't believe it. I was very thankful I was there during the eclipse.

As I said...this was our first all-inclusive. My significant other and I have differing opinions. I thought it was great for breakfast/lunch only. I just wasn't that thrilled with the dinners and there are SO many restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. But my SO loved all of it. We are BEACH people...so once we get on the beach....we're there until sunset. The palapas were great....you had a table/chairs and shade. You could order whatever you wanted pretty much all day. The service was excellent. So for this alone...I loved it. The food was decent...not exceptional...but we loved that we had access to it all day. Along with drinks...ice...and water. Mixed drinks are okay...but I'd stick to the beer/soft drinks/water. I think that's pretty typical for AI's. The breakfast is buffet style...lots of choices...something for everyone. We would always eat outside. I just wasn't impressed by the dinners...we tried Cafe del Mar and the buffet. Wasn't bad...just average. But it was okay...because of all the other choices around town.

On to the room: We had the deluxe suite on the 4th floor. We had a beautiful view of the pool/ocean from the front and a view of the colorful cemetery and some water from the back. I loved both views. Plenty of room for 2 people and had pretty much everything you need. A couple of issues: There was an odor in our room pretty much the whole time we were there. The hotel does provide incense (I'm assuming for this reason), but it didn't quite cut it. It wasn't super hot while we were there....so I kept the windows opened pretty much the whole time. This helped a lot. We also bought a glade room deodorizer which also helped. We also asked for more incense, which the hotel did provide. Since we could keep the windows open, it wasn't that big of a deal. But, had it been really hot out...and you had to keep it closed up...it would be an issue. The bed was hard (as most beds are in Mexico) so we asked for a mattress pad before we got there. The hotel already had it on our bed...so it was fine. And the lighting in the bathroom is dim. So if you're applying make up...you might want to do that in the main area.

In the scheme of things...the issues were minor (with the exception of the odor). The minifridge was always well-stocked. The maid service was excellent. All the service was excellent. I think PA is a good choice for a first time visitor to the island. Very conveniently located and very clean. I'd love it if they would offer a lunch/beach plan only. But I may be in the minority.

So....overall....we had a great time at PA and on IM. Isla will be our go-to place in Mexico. Make sure you rent a golf cart for a day and EXPLORE! Punta Sur is beautiful and there are lots of neat things to see along the way. We stopped at Casa de los Suenos for lunch (awesome ceviche!) and at Villa la Belle for a fantastic pina colada. Lots of photo ops all along the island...so please make sure you go out and explore the island. The next time we go...we will probably stay in a villa or apartment. At least that's my preference (absolutely nothing against PA...just more my style)...but my SO may veto that plan.

Enjoy PA and IM. It's impossible not to!

Room Tip: Obviously the higher you are...the better the view. Any room on a higher floor facing the pool/ocea...
3  Thank Buffett812
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for choosing us for your first time on Isla Mujeres and for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Privilege.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the hotel, grounds and beach and found everything clean, well-kept, and very safe.
We would love to have a new opportunity to welcome you back and the desire to give you the best of our attention and an excellent service.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I would absolutely come back here again. If you can upgrade to the presidential suite with the private pool. It is absolutely amazing! We got the all inclusive package and it was well worth it. The food is ok except for lunch at cafe del mar. The shrimp tacos and ceviche was really good.

Venture out and try lunch or dinner at dopis and Morgans, they were both incredible.

1  Thank GaryClark_84
Privilege A, Social Medina at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We really appreciate when one of our guests spend some minutes letting know their good experiences in our property to the Trip Advisor readers.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoy your stay as well as this beautiful island.
We are delighted to read that you would absolutely come back here again and we look forward to it.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband & I stayed at Privilege Aluxe for 5 days in April. This was our first time to Isla Mujeres and we did not do the all-inclusive. We have traveled to Mexico many times and typically always stay at large, all-inclusive resorts. This was very different than most of the hotels we have stayed at, but I was pleasantly surprised and highly recommend if you are looking for a low-key, relaxing getaway. Please note, if you are looking for the party scene, go to Cancun because you will not find it here!

Isla Mujeres:
This island is awesome! It is very small (5 miles long and only 1 mile at its widest point) and very chill. You will fly into Cancun and then you will take a short ferry ride to Isla. The ferry is located about 30 minutes from the airport and then it’s about a 25 minute ferry ride. The resort is located right in the downtown area and you literally walk outside and you are right by a lot of shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. The area is extremely safe and we left our hotel and walked around at all hours and never felt threatened. The hotel is located in a great area because there are lots of things to do and lots of great places to eat if you do not do the AI. A few restaurants that we ate at that I would recommend are Lola Valentina (must try the watermelon jalapeno margarita and guacamole w bacon and fried goat cheese balls), Medina Tacos (yummy and cheap tacos al pastor), Tino the Rib Man (only available Saturday and Sundays until the food runs out) and you must go to Hemingways!! This place is a few blocks away and is filled with locals and tourists. Anytime you walk by, the music is loud and the drinks are flowing. They bring out free appetizers to go along with your drinks. We had some conch ceviche, chicken and broccoli stir fry and fried fish and they were all fantastic! The drinks are delicious as well! You have to rent a golf cart at least one of the days. It will set you back about $45 for the day and you can drive all the way around the island and see fun sights such as the Turtle Farm (you can feed them!) and Punta Sur.

Resort:
The resort is very clean and is more of a boutique hotel than a resort. The hotel has only 124 rooms and with everything centrally located, it is very easy to get around. The resort is located next to cemetery. The cemetery is very colorful and you should be aware that some rooms do overlook it. I don’t know if we happened to be there during a low time, because the resort did not seem busy at all. I don’t even think that it was half full while we were there. Right outside the resort is a handful of vendors – you must try the bacon wrapped hotdog and marsequesta (crispy crepe with Nutella and bananas)! The resort is also right by the public market which has 4 loncherias with authentic Mexican food – very reasonable as well! The staff was very friendly and very helpful!

Pools:
There are 3 pools which are all connected. Although we did lounge pool side, they were very cold so we did not go in. However, we did use the Jacuzzi. My husband and I spent two days trying to figure out how to turn it on to realize the button is actually on the inside of the tub. Also, there are 2 hidden Jacuzzi’s by the spa but neither of them were working while we were there so we did not get to use them. They are very private and barely anyone knows they are there. The best thing about this resort is that there was no towel game and no waking up at 6 am just to get a spot. It doesn’t matter the time of day, we were always able to get a spot by the pool or beach and were able to get a day bed almost every day. There are few hammocks near the pool as well – very relaxing!

Rooms:
Superior: We initially booked and had the superior room. This was a nice room with “cityviews” but while you did see some, you also saw the ocean. We had a Jacuzzi on the balcony that we used daily.
Platinum Suite: We upgraded for $80 per night from the Superior to the Platinum Suite for our last 2 nights. The Platinum Suite has 2 floors and a private pool on the second floor terrace. There were 2 bathrooms and a large living room area and 2 balconies (one on each floor). I highly recommend the platinum suite. I mean, who doesn’t love having their own private pool!!! My only complaint about the rooms were the hard beds - but this is typical of Mexico.

Food:
We only ate breakfast at the hotel twice so I do not have a lot of feedback to provide on the food. The breakfast was decent, but there were not a lot of choices. They oddly did not offer bacon as part of the buffet, but they did have bacon for the omelets. I enjoyed the fresh juices very much!

Beach
The resort is located right by the beach. There are a few daybeds right on the beach that are awesome! One of the resorts restaurants, Café del Mar is right on the beach, and if you have AI, you can have food and drinks brought to you on the beach. The resort is right by north beach which has several little beach bars and very shallow and beautiful water by the Avalon Hotel.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay at Privilege! This is a great place if you are looking for something relaxing and quiet!!

5  Thank Carla S
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for choosing us on your first time to Isla Mujeres and for posting your feedback.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your experience and your compliments to the staff, services and facilities.
It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Privilege and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Everything abut this hotel is amazing! The crew is top notch. Omar at the front desk was friendly, informative, and genuinely happy to have us stay there. We stayed in room #443 and it was absolutely beautiful with an amazing view. Big thanks to Ofelia who made this happen! Definitely recommend if you have the option to chose a higher floor. Dinner at Cafe del Mar is superb. Their entire menu is delicious. My husband and I were never disappointed with our meals. The bartender Jose and the waiters Jesus and Vladimir, were exceptional. One recommendation- ALL INCLUSIVE. It's all worth it till the very end. The pool is large and the swim up bar was so much fun meeting people from all over the world. Beach access, downtown, local bars, everything is 5-10 minutes walking distance away. Second recommendation - Rent a golf cart for the day (approx $50) and you can tour the entire island. Third recommendation - Prepay your travel arrangements in advance. Once you exit the Cancun airport, there are only very expensive shuttles and even more expensive private taxis ($74) to port Juarez. You then will have to pay a ferry ride $15 pp to the island. This hotel offers the service. Take it.

Privilege Aluxes, we will back! You guys are amazing! Thank you for your awesome hospitality and for making your hotel our home for 4 days. Much love from San Diego, Ca, xo

6  Thank Angie M

Thank you very much for your time and your great review.
We are specially glad that the service provided by our staff made your stay memorable.
It is great to hear that our team made you feel right at home, which is always our goal for all our guests.

We are delighted to read that you had an amazing experience at Privilege Aluxes and you will come back!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I just got back form privilege (been there from Apr. 16-20) ... The staff was super friendly, food was awesome (specialy at Sabor) , and the pool/beach ... well i have no way to descibe those!
All in all, i recommend this hotel if you wanna have a great time in a great environment.

Room Tip: Definitely choose ocean or pool view!
3  Thank Mamadou Alain S

We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback.

Allow us furthermore to thank you in particular about your kind comments. We take pride for our staff to be our most important asset and it gives us great pleasure when our guests consider them to be as such. We are also delighted to read that you found the food awesome.

We hope to see you soon again in this beautiful slice of paradise.