“Mas o menos”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Juneau, Alaska
“Mas o menos”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First let me say that the staff at this hotel and their restaurants are top notch - friendly, funny and always ready to help in any way they can. The grounds are well kept and the security is very good with out being over bearing. The rooms are well accommodated. We were on the all inclusive package, so food & drink at the hotel bars and restaurants was included with our stay. The food with the exception of the lunch menu at the beach restaurant was disappointing. The only drinks that were acceptable were Corona beer and Jim Beam whiskey. All of the mixed drinks were awful, very cheap liquor. Our cab driver back to the airport said that we should try the Palace resort next time as they have top shelf liquor and very good food. I'll check out the reviews for the Palace because I won't come back to the Aluxes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlaskaPotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Hebrew first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I booked Privelege Aluxes by a recommendation of a friend who had visited before. He told us that the beach and service was amazing but AVOID the all inclusive! As this was our first resort trip we did not heed his warning and booked the Superior Suite/ All inclusive package.

The room:

We were greeted by Adrian who took our bags and gave us a brief introduction into where everything was located on the grounds. He also told us that our room 141 was a VERY nice room and we were very lucky (my husband a I assume he said that to ALL his guests). We made it to our room and were pleasantly surprised that Adrian was not lying to us! Our room was gorgeous and we had a full ocean view (i paid for partial view with city)!!! The view was breathtaking and the jacuzzi (actually a jetted tub) was a pleasure to have for early morning, after workout bath time. The bathroom had another window that opened to the city, local cemetery and partial ocean views. Absolutely Gorgeous!

The staff:

There's not much to say about the staff at the resort...they are accommodating, pleasant, funny and overall amazing...they make this hotel the 4.5 star rating and honestly it should be 5 stars because of them.

The food:

This is where it gets tricky... Hello, my name is Tina and I am a Foodie. This makes life at an all inclusive resort....complicated to say the least. My husband (also a foodie and somewhat of a beer connoisseur) and I accepted that beer would not be at its best while here in Mexico. We knew that we were not going to find micro brews and local pubs like we do when we visit so many other lovely destinations and that was fine. We did not, however, know that we were visiting the Mexican Resort with BAD MEXICAN FOOD and mediocre food in general. I could not believe how sad my shrimp tacos were and the tamales that were served were downright wrong. We were amazed to hear that so many people came back to this resort and continually got the all inclusive package! It may only be worth it for the drinks and for that I say that they should have different packages (food, drink or nothing) We tried every restaurant twice and were disappointed each and every time. Especially considering that this was one of the more expensive AI packages we came across when comparing hotels. Please, to whoever is monitoring these comments...correct the food issue. I can't imagine that we paid what we did and had that food included in the price...really, really bad.

My Do's and Don'ts:

Don't:
- do what we did and expect 5,4 or even3 star dining experiences because it will just not happen.

Do:
-stay at this resort for the amazing staff, gorgeous beach and peaceful surroundings.
- try the local even sometimes sketchy stands that sell tacos and quesadillas (they are 1000 times better than it looks and we did not regret any food we ate from there)
- look up reviews for restaurants in tripadvisor and take them seriously...

Room Tip: ask for room 141!
6 Thank loveshines87
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback, it commits us to improve our service, customers like you help us to improve ourselves. We want to do everything to satisfy all guest's expectations and you can rest assured that we are already dealing with this situation.

We would love to welcome you here again so you can see the improvements and we will have the opportunity to offer you another great vacation with a gorgeous room and the best service from our staff.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

It is very rare for us to return to a specific hotel but we were very glad to spend another week at Privilege following a Christmas stay a few years ago. We were pleased to find that little had changed or, if it had, that it was for the better. Food quality seems to have improved - the head chef at Sabor has obviously had excellent training and clearly cares about the quality of the food he is putting out while service seems quicker and more efficient. As we found during our last visit, a higher room over looking the water gives superior views and the rooms themselves are clean and well maintained although, we agree with many other reviewers, there is that lingering damp odour that they just can't seem to get rid of. As a swimmer, the pool ticks all boxes with a good length of over 25 m but perhaps it is worth noting that you may want to get your lengths in earlier before the pool bar drinkers start floating around (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Lots of sunbeds were available and, joy of joys, there was no ridiculous early morning towel game to play! Just one point to note: our requested morning call of 7 am came through at 7.25 am - make sure you bring your own alarm just in case you miss that all important ferry for your flight home.

2 Thank 001Celia
We are delighted to read that you decided to return to Privilege for your second time.
Our guests are the greatest and most important part of our business and your comments are very much appreciated and they are our main motivation to keep improving.
We are sorry that you morning call was not on time, this is not common mistake and we apologize for the inconveniences.

We look forward to welcoming you again to this beautiful destination to give the best of our attention.
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

All was good except for a plastic mattress cover which made us feel sticky , bad bed covers ( too heavy and warm), the AC couldn't be adjusted (it was freezing), and the shower changed themperature once in a while. (Our room was on the 3rd floor) The lunch at Cafe del Mar was terrible. We didn't get the all inclusive plan and I am glad we didn't. It was nice to experience all the different restaurants downtown. The breakfast at the hotel was great and we had dinner one evening at the beach hotel restaurant and it was lovely. Live music right on the beach and the food was good that evening.
The upgraded room we had had a living room facing the pool. We wished we were up higher but we didn't spend much time in the room. It was a nice touch with a bottle of champagne in the room (they knew we were celebrating our anniversary)
Ask the locals where to eat downtown. There are many cool restaurants.
We were there during Easter weekend which was a mistake. LOUD music on the beach Sat and Sun!! And tons of Mexicans that visited from mainland to celebrate Easter. It was neat to see them all but the music was just TOO loud on the beach those 2 days. Mon the beach was quiet again. Rent a golf cart and drive around the island! Fun to see the island. We loved Isla Mujeres!!!

1 Thank Marie W
We wish to express our sincere appreciation for your contribution with your comments.
The consistent feedback and support we get from you help us scale new heights in improving the quality of our services, from the rooms to the restaurants.

We are glad to read that overall it was a good experience and you loved Isla Mujeres, we hope to welcome you again in this beautiful paradise to give you an unforgettable vacation.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our second visit to Isla, which is a great little island where you are not segregated from the local community. We like that. It was our first visit to this resort which was just being built last time we were here. Our last visits to the area were to RIU resorts in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. That makes it difficult for this small resort to shine. The service was very good, the location was very good. The beach which is shared with the locals for the 25 yards nearest the water was very pretty.
The food was a disappointment, and we are not very picky. The breakfast buffet was only OK and the dinner buffets were bad. After the first two nights we did not go back to the buffet.. We enjoyed SATAY, the Asian restaurant. We also enjoyed the beach restaurant the last two nights. Food was OK, but better than the buffet. They even had some live entertainment. The mini bar in the room was barely stocked. Just a few coronas and sodas. And the kitchenette had not one glass or utensil. But very little information is given out about what is going on.
The lobby looked a little worn. The bed was good but the room could have used a little more TLC. We stayed in a platinum suite. Large room with a second story balcony with a plunge pool. The large main room, which had a kitchenette, was sparsely furnished with only a sofa and two offomans. It could have used a table and chairs as there is plenty of room. For a resort with mostly english speaking guests, they didnt have one channel on the tv that was in english. They didnt' even have a channel guide. No CNN etc. So we didn't watch TV, which is OK. Why bother to have the TVs?
The staff worked hard and was very accommodating. Sergio, who served drinks and food on the beach made us tired just watching how hard he worked. He was excellent. All staff were very good. We felt very secure as they have round the clock security guards and the beach entrance, which has a local street running between the hotel and the beach. There is also a major national police presence on the beaches and in town.
Unlike other all inclusive resorts where we have stayed, you have to sign for every drink tab or dinner. i guess this is because they also offer plans that are not all inclusive. it made things more complicated.
I guess if you have not stayed at one of the high rated all inclusives, you will like this resort. It is smaller and that is a plus.

1 Thank Frank282856
First of all, we thank you for your time taken on making these valuable comments which are the best assistance in our daily improvement to get the highest standards in all the hotel areas.
We are very disappointed to learn that the food in the buffet did not meet your expectations, we would like to assure you that we are currently dealing with this situation and taking it seriously to adequate it to the hotel´s standards.

We are glad that you enjoyed Satay and the beach restaurant receiving a great service from our team. We agree with your comments regarding the location, the beautiful beach and the security feeling as we want our guest to feel like at home.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back next time to offer a flawless experience.
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a great week at the Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres.This was our 4th trip there and we were not disappointed one bit.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly and taken to our room...At first...I was disappointed in our room as it had a city view of the cemetery and street. I almost went down to request a room change..but didn't..I was able to watch the most glorious sunrises from our balcony...and use the Jacuzzi at night with privacy.We also watched th local traffic..including a military dedication of a statue.
Our days started with a nice breakfast buffet each morning...the servers are pleasant and remember everything we like.The omelet chef is awesome!!!
But the beach is our favorite place...and that why we keep returning...All of the waiters at the beach are amazing and hard working...but Antonio really is great!!we ate great lunches at the beach.
One night we ate dinner on the beach...and the mahi mahi was delicious!!And I discovered the coconut ice cream for dessert...Oh my!!!!
We love Isla Mujeres AND the Privilege Aluxes...and I am counting the days until I return next year..(I just hope we get a ocean front view when we come back next year!!)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeannine1125
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We are grateful for your preference and for sharing your good comments.
Privilege Aluxes seeks to provide experiences and services based on criteria of excellence, it is very flattering ti read that you loved your stay and received the best service.

We will always be at your disposal and we look forward to seeing you soon for the 5th in this wonderful destination.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at PA a couple of weeks ago. This was our first time on IM and our first time doing an all-inclusive. The hotel/grounds/beach are beautiful. It is extremely clean, well-kept, and very safe. We would be out fairly late...and there was always a security person on duty actively patroling the resort and beach. We were lucky enough to be there during the lunar eclipse so we were up til about 2:30 am watching it from a beach chair. I think we were the only ones up with the exception of the security person! Couldn't believe it. I was very thankful I was there during the eclipse.

As I said...this was our first all-inclusive. My significant other and I have differing opinions. I thought it was great for breakfast/lunch only. I just wasn't that thrilled with the dinners and there are SO many restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. But my SO loved all of it. We are BEACH people...so once we get on the beach....we're there until sunset. The palapas were great....you had a table/chairs and shade. You could order whatever you wanted pretty much all day. The service was excellent. So for this alone...I loved it. The food was decent...not exceptional...but we loved that we had access to it all day. Along with drinks...ice...and water. Mixed drinks are okay...but I'd stick to the beer/soft drinks/water. I think that's pretty typical for AI's. The breakfast is buffet style...lots of choices...something for everyone. We would always eat outside. I just wasn't impressed by the dinners...we tried Cafe del Mar and the buffet. Wasn't bad...just average. But it was okay...because of all the other choices around town.

On to the room: We had the deluxe suite on the 4th floor. We had a beautiful view of the pool/ocean from the front and a view of the colorful cemetery and some water from the back. I loved both views. Plenty of room for 2 people and had pretty much everything you need. A couple of issues: There was an odor in our room pretty much the whole time we were there. The hotel does provide incense (I'm assuming for this reason), but it didn't quite cut it. It wasn't super hot while we were there....so I kept the windows opened pretty much the whole time. This helped a lot. We also bought a glade room deodorizer which also helped. We also asked for more incense, which the hotel did provide. Since we could keep the windows open, it wasn't that big of a deal. But, had it been really hot out...and you had to keep it closed up...it would be an issue. The bed was hard (as most beds are in Mexico) so we asked for a mattress pad before we got there. The hotel already had it on our bed...so it was fine. And the lighting in the bathroom is dim. So if you're applying make up...you might want to do that in the main area.

In the scheme of things...the issues were minor (with the exception of the odor). The minifridge was always well-stocked. The maid service was excellent. All the service was excellent. I think PA is a good choice for a first time visitor to the island. Very conveniently located and very clean. I'd love it if they would offer a lunch/beach plan only. But I may be in the minority.

So....overall....we had a great time at PA and on IM. Isla will be our go-to place in Mexico. Make sure you rent a golf cart for a day and EXPLORE! Punta Sur is beautiful and there are lots of neat things to see along the way. We stopped at Casa de los Suenos for lunch (awesome ceviche!) and at Villa la Belle for a fantastic pina colada. Lots of photo ops all along the island...so please make sure you go out and explore the island. The next time we go...we will probably stay in a villa or apartment. At least that's my preference (absolutely nothing against PA...just more my style)...but my SO may veto that plan.

Enjoy PA and IM. It's impossible not to!

Room Tip: Obviously the higher you are...the better the view. Any room on a higher floor facing the pool/ocea...
3 Thank Buffett812
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for choosing us for your first time on Isla Mujeres and for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Privilege.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the hotel, grounds and beach and found everything clean, well-kept, and very safe.
We would love to have a new opportunity to welcome you back and the desire to give you the best of our attention and an excellent service.