“Unprofessional”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unprofessional”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

So far not so good. The hotel booked two weddings in one weekend and by the looks of it they are in over their heads. I arrived early and sat in the lobby for three hours watching them check people into occupied rooms, giving out keys that don't work and checking people into rooms that are different than what they paid for. The restaurant service is not good and the food is mediocre at best. I have stayed at two other hotels in the area and both were excellent and costed less. This hotel has been very disappointing so far. My standards for a hotel are pretty low but this hotel doesn't cut it. And some of the rooms have a balcony overlooking a cemetery.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view room, not a graveyard view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Travelin22_11
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
On behalf of the management we would like to offer you our sincere apologies regarding the inconveniences at the hotel.
Our commitment is to our guests satisfaction, relaxation and enjoyment. We tried to contact you before your departure as we wanted to have the opportunity to talk to you about this situation and assist you with the kind of service that you deserve. Unfortunately we could not reach you but please feel free to contact us anytime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Hebrew first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our first trip to Isla Mujeres and chose PA based on an internet search and a good deal ;)

Getting there-
We chose a package that included transportation from the airport, ferry and hotel. We and another couple were greeted right outside the airport and driven to the ferry, given our tickets and the name of the driver that would be meeting us on the other side. It really was that simple. The other driver was waiting for us, gave us a quick tour of the area around our hotel and gave us a few suggestions on good places to eat. We were both told exactly what time were needed to leave for the airport on our departure day. Very organized.
Checking in/Room-
We were greeted immediately, given champagne and checked in quickly. We arrived 3 hours prior to check in and expected to have to wait, but our room was already available. Our bellhop took our bags, and gave us a quick tour of the grounds, explained the restaurants and the room numbers (slightly confusing). When we arrived at our room, 342, we were very pleasantly surprised. We had booked an ocean view room and expected to have a glimpse of the ocean. We had a full, panoramic, oceanfront suite. The room was massive, huge living room, kitchen and huge bedroom. Separate huge bathroom and an entryway. There was more closet space than I could fill. The balcony, oh the balcony. Huge...it went across the entire suite. We could access it from the living room or the bedroom. It had a table and chairs and a Jacuzzi. The view of the ocean was beautiful. We were on the 4th floor so we were high enough to see everywhere and there was only 1 more floor above us. Most importantly, the room was clean, clean, clean!
Pool/beach-
I must admit, we only sat by the pool for 15 minutes right before we left and never even struck a toe in the pool, but it looked beautiful. People were using it, we just never had time. (We were there to dive). The beach we did enjoy a few times. The had palm tree umbrellas and tables set up and cabanas available for anyone. The beach is on Playa Norte which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The views were amazing, during the day, at sunset and at night.
Restaurants-
FOOD WAS AMAZING! We have stayed at all inclusives before and were never impressed by the food. We definitely were here. There were 4 restaurants to choose from.
Sabor; the buffet for breakfast, lunch or dinner was good. For breakfast there was an omelet station and tons of fresh fruit. Dinner had a different theme every night. The desserts were out of this world. You could sit inside or out on the patio.
Satay, the sushi/Japanese/steak house was our personal favorite. You need reservations there 1 day in advance, but if you stop in and ask, they usually have something available that evening. We had sushi for an appitizer and the steak and tuna for our main course then dessert. Out of this world! One night I had pina coladas and they never got below half empty before i was brought another.
Cafe del Mar was the beach bar and was great for lunch. The had phenomenal ceveche, pico and guacamole.
The poor bar also served lunch which featured a different theme every day, or you could order from their menu. Drinks were awesome at both of these bars.
My only (minor) complaint with the restaurants is this- even though we were AI, we had to wait for and sign a bill. The total was always zero, but their policy was to have everyone sign since they had non AI option too. I don't know if this is common practice, the places we've stay have been AI only. Again, this was only a minor annoyance when we had to wait instead of just getting up and leaving.
Staff- staff were amazing. Super friendly, accommodating, helpful. I was having a issue with my iPhone not dialing the first night. I kept getting a message in spanish. I took it to the desk to ask them to translate, which Jesus did. He also tried dialing, offered to let me call Verizon to fix the issue and call and talk to my kids. He went out of his way to help and the next day, when he saw us at the beach bar, he asked if we got everything fixed.
Service/Amenities- We came to the room one day to find a chocolate fountain and a fruit plate sitting on our kitchen bar. We knew were were getting one with our package, but we didn't know when, so it was a really nice surprise. Our fridge was stocked, always. Sometimes a few times a day, we never ran dry. We had a ridiculous supply of toiletries that were restocked every day.
We also got with our package a romantic dinner on the beach. We did this one night at 7 pm and it was perfect. It was after sunset, the beach was dark and private. It was a full 5 course meal and I can not rave about it enough. The food was out of the world, the atmosphere was very romantic and our server was absolutely perfect.
Island- I am in love with this island. It is safe, friendly, laid back, fun. Rent a golf cart and explore. It really doesn't matter where you get it from, they are all around $50/day, slightly cheaper if you rent for the week. You can rent from the hotel if you ask early enough.
Hildalgo street is the main shopping and restaurant street and where all the nightlife is. We had dessert at El Patio and found a tequila bar. There are tons a restaurants and shops to pick from.
We drove around the entire island with our cart. There are fun dive bars scattered across teh island and tons of fun little touristy things to do. We loved punta sur, the southern most part of the island.
We were there to dive. If you are a diver, it was just ok. We have previously dove in Cozumel, so our expectations were high and this island is not the same. There were still beautiful areas, but EVERYWHERE in Cozumel was breathtaking. Not the case here. We still had some great dives though.
All in all, I would go back in a second. A week went by way to fast! Thank you Aluxes for a great vacation!

Room Tip: Splurge for the oceanfront room, worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank michelewelker
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your valuable time, we want you to know that your satisfaction is our greatest commitment and we really appreciate your comments.
We will always be at your service to offer a great vacation.

We hope to see you soon, where we hope you will have a flawless experience.
Kingston, Ontario
Reviewed 30 April 2014

1st time to Isla. Was a great hotel for location and had a nice vibe to it. The balconies are just great and I wish more hotels had similar. We were only there a night, but all was well. Good breakfast, good pool scene, and the beach was pretty nice. Service as very good and the whole resort was kept impeccably clean. If one was choosing this property I think that if the price was reasonable, it will be a good stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nosun-nofun
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor, we value your feedback to help us improve the service we are offering.
We were delighted to see you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly.
We would agree we are in a fantastic location to enjoy the best beach and local life on Isla.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We returned from this resort several weeks ago. Overall, the resort is pretty, peaceful and a nice experience. HOWEVER, we are used to Cancun resorts, where they bend over backwards to help you make your visit everything you expected.

First, we booked our transportation through the hotel, which was the BEST. We had someone waiting for us at the airport with ferry tickets. Then another person was waiting for us when we got off the ferry--he took us in a cab directly to our hotel. That experience was perfect!

We started the check-in process and quickly learned that the "SUPERIOR" room we reserved did not have an ocean view, and that most of them do not. We requested to see the room before we committed to it and saw that it was TINY and facing a loud street with people working directly below and across the street. It was awful. There was no ocean in sight! We went back to the office and asked them for an ocean-view, which is what the description on Expedia indicated. The man at the desk told us that the superior rooms do not have an ocean view. So I asked to upgrade. He informed me that there were no suites left, but we could move tomorrow. There was no way I was going to unpack and then repack and move tomorrow. Suddenly ONE suite became available, which was a $30/day upcharge. We reluctantly paid that, although felt as though it should have been comped since the room did not match the description. Our new room was nice, had a slight ocean view, a full view of the pool and a separate bedroom. The check-in process was disappointing because the manager was on the phone the whole time, refusing to even come talk to us. Every request we made was denied and we were told the hotel was full. (more on that later)

We walked the grounds and noticed that there were very few people there. In fact, each day the pools had maybe 5-10 couples and the beach was the same. Having been told that the hotel was sold out made me wonder...was it really sold out or did they not want us to upgrade? Either way, the hotel was NOT full at all. That was very nice, actually. We didn't have to wake up early to get a good chair.

I would recommend renting golf carts through the hotel. They are MUCH cheaper and do not require them to keep your drivers license, which the other places do. HOWEVER, we went to rent a golf cart and were immediately turned down--saying they were all rented out. It seemed more like the guy was too lazy to go look, but we agreed to come back at 9am the next morning to get one for the day. We returned at 9am and were told that there were no carts available...again. Of course I was upset because once again, this hotel was telling us NO. After some discussion, they found one and we were able to rent it at 10am.

The food was just so-so. It wasn't awful, but the variety was limited. The drinks were good, but definitely not top-shelf.

If you used to Cancun, where each hotel has it's own beach, you will be disappointed. The hotel does have it's own beach, but it's open to the public. You have to cross a public sidewalk to get to it and the public also crosses through the beach to get to the water. Not a lot of privacy except at the pool. Even sitting outside at breakfast or at Satay, you are facing a busy walk area or street.

If you are booking this hotel and have a laid-back personality, you will probably like it very much. I am used to being spoiled at the all-inclusives in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, so I was just let down. I'm sure many people love the hotel and enjoy it very much. It isn't a hotel we will visit again, especially after seeing a hotel close by that had it's own lagoon!!

Room Tip: Do not book Superior and expect an ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lan0473
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We just returned from our third visit to Privilege Aluxes. There’s a big part of me that would like to write horrible things about the resort as well as the island. Not because there’s anything legitimate to gripe about, but because I’m afraid of the world discovering the island and turning it into Cancun. To be fair, we have noticed that the island was a little busier this year than in our previous visits, but it maintains every ounce of the charm that converted us two years ago.

PA is a beautiful property. While it may look large at first glance, it always feels like an intimate boutique resort. The service, and this is true throughout the island, is impeccable. Highlighted by Sergio and Antonio on the beach, who bust their butts all day long and never stop smiling. I wish customer service in the states was half as good. My wife went to the spa for a massage, and raved about her masseuse. Her name escapes me right now.

We like to take advantage of the all-inclusive package by getting breakfast, lunch and drinks, but we ventured out every night for dinner. Traveling in a party of six, with a share of picky eaters, can at time be a challenge. But we had no trouble finding great restaurants and enjoying our meals. We ate at Rolandi’s (best lasagna on the island and fantastic pizza, and I’m a pizza snob), L’Argentina (our only disappointing dinner of the week, and last year we really liked it), Fenix (great atmosphere and food, and such great views of Playa Norte), Oscar’s (serious pizza and pasta, near NYC quality), and Limon (best meal of the trip. Make sure you find time to see Sergio) There was also a breakfast and a lunch at Rooster’s, which was also fantastic.

We’ve now been in 3 different buildings, twice having Deluxe Suites. Definitely worth the upgrade. This year we were in room 233. Had a great view of the ocean and pools, as well as having quiet nights thanks to our bedroom overlooking the cemetery. Not that it’s a loud resort, but there’s always one or two who have had too much sun and too many drinks.

Can’t wait to get back.

Room Tip: 625, 615, 233, 332, 341 are all great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrHirp
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you very much for choosing us again for your third visit.
We are specially glad that the service provided by our staff made your stay memorable
It is great to hear that our team made you feel right at home, which is always our goal for all our guests.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at PA for the first time April 2014. We did the All-inclusive because we like to eat a lot and drink. It was a wonderful place! We loved so much about this vacation and have almost nothing to complain about. Got there on a Tuesday in the evening and had a Superior Suite on the city/school side. Not a bad view at all but definitely going to request and pay for an upgraded room on the pool side for our next stay. We were never in our room except to sleep and get ready for the day so our view wasn't a big deal. It was a beautiful room with jacuzzi tub on balcony.
Food was great! If I had to make a suggestion on food it would only be about breakfast that is because the breakfast is a buffet every morning at Sabor and it is the same every morning, or you can order room service which is the same breakfast menu. We did do this one morning, but there wasn't the space to eat in our room so we only did that the one day (another reason for the upgraded room next time). I got a little bored with the breakfast buffet so I found myself only eating a little bit and then waiting until lunch at Cafe Del Mar on the beach which has the best lunch and dinner. We ate at Satay 2 times which was wonderful. Be ready to not be in any hurry because it's not fast for service. We didn't mind because we are on vacation, so why would we be in any hurry for dinner? It's such a great atmosphere and wonderful food!
Staff-so so great! I don't think I can name all the wonderful staff we met and got to know in the 7 days we were there but they were all so great. At Cafe Del Mar, Jose, Sergio, Gasper, and Antonio. At the Pool Bar, Enrique, and Jesus, and sweet Nataley were the best. At Sabor, Ponce was such a great spirit to see everyday. Special, special thank you to Alberto who manages all of the bars and restaurants at PA. What a tremendous job he does with all of his staff. They work so hard and they all do such a great job and treat the guests so wonderfully.
Beach/Pool-what a great great place! We had a cabana almost everyday which we would never have to get up extra early for. The water was wonderful and the swimming was great. The staff will bring your food, drinks and water right out to you all day. So very nice! The pool was great. Always warm and drinks were always great made special by Enrique. The pool would get more lively in the afternoon so we would always go there then, and stay till around dinner. Beach was our morning place and the pool was our afternoon place. Both were so relaxing. We had great weather our 7 days. Hot and sunny!
There are kids here but not too many. We did not bring ours but have 3 so the kids at the resort didn't ever bother us. There were definitely more adults then children so I would say that PA has it right with its "adult oriented" status.
The island is so so neat. Rent a golf cart and go exploring. It's so so fun. We did it 2 days. We rented ours right at the resort. It was only 55.00 for 24 hours and they don't take your license. So many neat local bars and restaurants to see on the island. Take a night time ride also to see the night life!
I could go on and on about how great our vacation was. PA exceeded our expectations and so did Isla Mujeres. I can't wait to return to PA for our next visit! We will definitely be back again and it won't be soon enough!!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank AimeeNa
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your review, we strive to provide value based vacations and reading your comments is our best motivation.
We measure our success by the feedback you give us when you return ant it is very flattering to read that Privilege Aluxes exceeded your expectations and so did Isla Mujeres.
We look forward to your return to PA to provide you more unforgettable moments.
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First let me say that the staff at this hotel and their restaurants are top notch - friendly, funny and always ready to help in any way they can. The grounds are well kept and the security is very good with out being over bearing. The rooms are well accommodated. We were on the all inclusive package, so food & drink at the hotel bars and restaurants was included with our stay. The food with the exception of the lunch menu at the beach restaurant was disappointing. The only drinks that were acceptable were Corona beer and Jim Beam whiskey. All of the mixed drinks were awful, very cheap liquor. Our cab driver back to the airport said that we should try the Palace resort next time as they have top shelf liquor and very good food. I'll check out the reviews for the Palace because I won't come back to the Aluxes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends