“Don't expect a good shower or food....EVER....SERIOUSLY!!”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying here and are stuck here for three more nights. We never have hot water unless we run the water for a good 20-30 minutes and then it's hot....intermittently. You could call for service and then maintenance will run the water for you and then act like they worked miracles when they have hot water coming out of the faucet 20-30 minutes later....to bad it doesn't stay hot. Add that into the horrible service you get from the breakfast staff (except for the one really nice guy that comes at the end with your bill asking you to fill out the survey) and mediocre food and that sums up the stay here. It's our honeymoon and if it wasn't for the awesome people on the island itself we would be hating it here completely. Do yourself a favor and stay at one of the great B & B's here on the island instead of staying at this hotel. The bad reviews aren't a joke, we thought it was bitter people but turns out it's legit. This place is subpar at best and they have no desire to fix the problems.

• Stayed: May 2014
10  Thank Sammibb
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you very much for your comments and observations that help us to improve our guest satisfaction and quality service.

We are very disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations and you were let down on this occasion.
We would like to assure you that we are currently dealing with the points that you have mentioned and taking them very seriously.
Once again please accept our apologies, your full satistaction is our main goal and we work day by day to offer great experiences to all our guests.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our stay and we have to say that it was wonderful! It definitely was the best place in the island! No comparison to any of the other hotels. We were there to celebrate our 20th Wedding anniversary. We were looking for something beautiful, relaxing and at a great price. Well we got everything we wanted. The rooms were very nice and large and had great a view. The grounds were very clean and pretty. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. The beach was just like the pictures....beautiful! We loved the live music in the evening on the beach. The food and drinks were good but could be a bit better. We did not go hungry or thirsty though, that's for sure! The spa was very nice. My husband and I treated ourselves to a couples massage and then I was pampered with a facial on mother's day. Both experiences were wonderful. Definitely rent a golf cart to view the island and shop. All in all it was a great experience. I would definitely return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2014
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for choosing Privilege Aluxes to celebrate your 20th Wedding anniversary!

It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay with us was an incredible experience because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations.
Your positive comments will motivate the team to continue our effort to improve the service quality.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I read lot good reviews on this hotel but please pay attention to the poor reviews on this hotel. They are mostly true. This resort need lots of attention on the building maintenance and staff service.

Room:

Our room smelled very bad. When AC is on, it smells like rotten egg. They need duct cleaning for sure. Our kitchen sink spewed water all over the sink and counter top (They did fix this issue on third day). Our bathtub faucet diverter valve is broken. It will not pour water for bath too well. Refrigerator leaked constantly creating water puddle on the kitchen floor and no matter what level I set the fridge, temperature in the fridge will remain so so cold for the beer and etc.(place the beer in the ice maker section, you'll have very cold beer without freezing the bottle). Walls and ceilings have water damage (possible mold problem).

Food:

Thai restaurant is terrible. Do not eat there.They need to have chefs re-trained to cook real Thai food. I've been cooking all my life and I would say, their Thai food is around 15% real compared to what you would have at a real Thai restaurant.

Breakfast buffet I would rate 3 stars out of 5. Wished they had waffles, more bacon.
Lunch menu at Sabor I would rate 3.5 stars as well. If they stop over cooking, it would 4 stars.
Lunch Menu at the beach, 3 stars. Again, they over cook food and little too salty most of the time and menu selection is limited.

Dinner buffet... Forget about it. Just stick to Beach restaurant.

Room service food is okay. They need to stop putting little carrot cubes in spaghetti Bolognese.

Bar (Waiters) Service:

Very slow. Even though it's all inclusive, if you don't tip them especially at the beach bar, you're have your drinks in 30 minutes. I got tired of this so I went up to the bar and got drinks and brought it back to family myself.

Beach:

Excellent with plenty of beach umbrellas and clear blue water.

Pool:

Very nice if you stay away from the pool bar. People stay their all day and drink all day. I rarely say people come out the pool to go to the bathroom (U know what that means?). We stayed at far end where is separate section of the pool. Towel service is excellent.

Hotel staff service:

Best staff: Adrian.

Thank you again. Wished every other staff had your customer service skills

Best Manager: Augustine Duran

Augustine tries very hard to please his guest. He will go out of his way to meet your needs. I think his staff do well when he is around but when he's gone, they lax a bit. But overall, Augustine is a very fine manager who really cares for his guests.

Honorable mention:

Forgot her name but she works day shift at the front desk. Very lovely and friendly lady.

No so friendly:

Will not name (because I don't want you to lose your job) but you know who u are the front desk. He was not friendly at all and seemed annoyed when questions were asked at him. Please smile more often and be polite to your guest.

What was our family's highlight at the resort?

YOU HAVE TO DO THE GOLF CART RENTAL!!!! THIS IS A MUST!!! Take a tour of the island. Make sure u bargain for 24 for hour rate.

Will my family ever return? Most likely a "NO!" There's too many better resorts in Cancun we've been to. We will stick with them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank C C
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We are tremendously sorry to hear about your stay. We really appreciate your remarks, and we would like just to say that you can rest assure we are considering each and all of your comments to improve our services and facilities.

It is great that you found the hotel in an excellent location and enjoyed the beautiful beach.
Once again please accept our apologies and we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you again and give you a flawless vacation.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I can’t say enough good things about my trip to Isla Mujeres and my stay at Privilege Aluxes. I know I am not the first or last to stay on this wonderful island but I left feeling as though I had discovered a hidden gem! I took my girlfriend (who actually returned as my fiancé) on vacation here. It was my first trip Mexico. I was looking for someplace that was peaceful and quiet but yet still had an assortment of fun activities to do off the resort. Isla Mujeres was the perfect choice!

Getting there was pretty easy: 1) take a shuttle from the airport to Puerto Juarez ferry. I strongly recommend Best Day ($52 USD round trip for 2). They were professional, on time and very nice. 2) Take the ferry to Isla Mujeres ($12 USD round trip pp). 3) Then you can either walk straight along the main strip to the hotel or take a taxi from the ferry port to the hotel. It’s only about a 10 minute walk but if you have a lot of luggage I would recommend taking a taxi ($4 USD) because the main strip can get pretty busy.

When we got to PA Jesus at the front desk was very welcoming. We were greeted with champagne and wet towels (since we chose to walk from the ferry and arrived very sweaty). We arrived 1 1/2hrs before check-in but our room was ready and we were allowed to check-in early. The view from the room balcony is absolutely breathtaking. Recommend staying on 4th floor or above for good views. Jacuzzi on balcony was a cool amenity. The hotel property is very clean and well kept. It is small but yet never felt crowded. The beach is very nice- clean with clear waters. But if you walk around the corner to Playa Norte the beach there is much better because you can walk out 100 yards+ and the water is still waist high.

There are 3 restaurants at PA: Sabor, Satay and Café Del Mar. Satay is for dinner and you must make a reservation- we never ate here. Sabor and Café Del Mar were the hot spots. Sabor is breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast and Dinner are buffet style while lunch is a la carte. Sabor also has seating outside with beachside view. Café Del Mar is for Lunch and Dinner. It is directly on the beach. You can either get beachside service or you can sit down at a table for lunch or dinner. This is the only place (besides “snack time” at the pool’s swim up bar) where you can get traditional bar foods like chicken wings, cheese sticks, quesadillas and chicken fingers. There is also 24 hr room service. To me the food was good, not great. We chose to do the all-inclusive package, which was unlimited food and drinks but there are also a lot of restaurants off the resort that you can try.

I love Isla Mujeres because you can go off the resort, actually explore the island and still feel safe. It is calm and peaceful with scenic views everywhere. But if you want a little city style hustle and bustle you can go to the main strip along the beach where you’ll find an assortment of restaurants and shopping. We drove a golf cart around the island one day, which was a lot of fun ($51 USD with insurance and gas). We asked the front desk for a golf cart, they called the vendor and the vendor delivered cart to hotel. Another day we rented a moped ($25 USD) and that was even more fun and exciting (can’t rent from hotel front desk).

The hotel staff made our stay very pleasant. Alberto (who seemed to be a manager/supervisor) was very friendly, always engaged us in conversation and waved to us several times when we saw him off the resort and off duty. Everyone took care of any and every need but Pounce (Sabor), Enrique (pool bar) and Raul (beachside service from Cafe Del Mar) stood out and provided exceptional service.

We met many people who had been to PA numerous times- that’s the sign of a good resort! We will definitely be adding ourselves to that list and will certainly return for vacation again in the near future. We are even thinking of having our honeymoon here when we get married. I’ll have to get better at my Spanish for my next trip :) I would definitely recommend Isla Mujeres and PA to anyone looking for a memorable and enjoyable vacation.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above with ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dale J
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

First of all Congratulations!!

Thank you very much for your kind words, we will share your comments with our team, who certainly will be encouraged by your remarks.
It is an enormous pleasure to know the satisfaction of our customers, because this is our aim, give you an unforgettable experience, being satisfied and making you feel at home.

We would love to welcome you soon to offer another great stay in this wonderful destination.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our second visit to the island and to Privilege Aluxes. First time was 2 years ago. This time we stayed 5 nights in a deluxe room with a Jacuzzi on the balcony. Same room as last time coincidently! Our room was spotless. This time they brought us champagne and fruit upon arrival which was a great touch. The facilities were all still in good condition. The pool area was still very nice. But we spend most of our time at the beach, which is why we returned here.

The beach area is stunning. I will say that we had a better overall beach experience our first time here though. Both times we visited, the hotel was completely full. last time, no matter what time we went to the beach, there would be seats available. This time we did go one day around noon after returning from an excursion and there were no spots to sit on the beach. I asked if they had any chairs we could put under the palm trees or any umbrellas we could set up and they did not. I feel like a beach front resort should always have extras incase their palapas are full. The beach is usually the biggest reason someone visits a beach resort. And what makes it more frustrating is that they also run the beach as a beach club. So there were non guests taking up spaces on the beach. They should allow this when the hotel is full. Also, there was one day we had a waiter who was only paying attention to a group of non guests. he was getting orders wrong or not bringing them at all. we waited 1.5 hours for our lunch to come out. Then we had to wait over an hour for a beer and water. Later I ordered a lemonade and he brought me something with alcohol in it. We also saw he brought others in our area completely wrong items and beverages. Maybe he was overwhelmed? Other days we sat in Sergios section on the beach. He is just awesome. Very attentive to everyone. Always smiling and is very friendly!

We did the all inclusive plan - I got a good price for it through Orbitz. We ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel, plus had drinks on the beach. We went out and enjoyed the amazing food in town each night. We did do one dinner at café del Mar. It was good. The setting is really nice. But I still prefer eating out in centro.

Overall we had a great vacation! And I would probably go back to Privilege again when we get the chance. I also will continue to recommend it (we got 2 sets of friends to visit this past year)! But I think they need to consider not running Café Del Mar as a beach club when the hotel is full.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing us for the second time.

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor, we value your feedback to help us improve the service we are offering.
We were delighted to read you found the hotel clean and enjoyed the overall experience.
We would agree we are in a fantastic location to enjoy the best beach and local life on Isla and it will a pleasure to welcome you back to this beautiful destination.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our stay was awesome!!!! Kathia at the front desk was the best!!!! She helped us so much and made us feel very welcome!! Miguel at the Cafe de mar was awesome too! He was very very friendly and made awesome drinks! They made our time here wonderful! We would definitely come back mainly based on their hospitality! This resort is very awesome and we love everything ! 5 stars for sure!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

We are very pleased to know that you had an awesome stay with us.
Your recommendations will improve our staff motivation to work better day by day. We would like to express our sincere thanks on behalf of the employees.
We look forward to welcoming you back where we will always try to cater for all your needs and offer another wonderful experience.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

First Isla Mujeres as an island destination is amazing ---- soooo much better than mainland Cancun (the Ocean City MD of Mexico). Much quitter - less expensive - more like an island - nice people - great diving - etc etc. We did it as an all inclusive as part of a destination wedding (which went fabulously) and really enjoyed it. There Satay restauarant was world class! Something you don't get at many all inclusives! Would definitely go back - another reason never to go back to Cancun!

Room Tip: If you want a whirlpool or pool - book early
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChiefChili
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
We are glad we were able to exceed your expectations and to learn that you really enjoyed your experience at Privilege Aluxes, Isla Mujeres.
We look forward to welcoming you back to this amazing island!