“Privilege aluxes in May 2014” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Privilege aluxes in May 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This may be a bit long, figured something here might help someone. So let's start from day 1 since there's a lot you need to know about getting to the island (this was our first time to Mexico and there wasn't much about transportation, so hope this helps someone). So we arrived at the cancun airport at around 7 pm. There are a lot of cab services waiting for you. We kinda got duped in believing that only one of the cab companies can take you to the ferry, but we were wrong, any of them can take you there. Any way, we paid for round trip cab fare, came to around $80 usd, but we apparently got a discount since we used American Express card. So cab fare is expensive no matter who you use, btw they prefer American dollars. So it's about a 30 min cab drive to the ferry. This is good to know so you can properly plan your return trip back if you're making a time crunch to make your flight home. We got to the ferry a little before 9 pm. Luckily the ferry is open until 11 pm, so if you can help it, don't plan your flight in too late, otherwise you'll be stuck staying in cancun that night. We paid around $14 USD per person for round trip ferry ride. The ride is about 20 min long and we used Ultramar ferry. It was so late when we got there, not sure there was even a choice for us to choose a different ferry company. Anyway, it was pretty fast and a really fun ride. If you can, take the ride during the day so you can actually enjoy the view, again it was dark by the time we got there. Alright, so we got to the island probably by 10 and got a cab ride, since we had no idea where the resort was. You can negotiate the cab ride, remember it's not a far drive no matter where you go. We ended up paying him 5 USD and just gave him a couple bucks for tip, just because he was really nice. The cab ride was around 5 min or so, so I imagine we over paid, but it's okay, we were tired and hungry at this point. Later on, I did realize the cab driver took a long way to get to resort, I assume so he thinks we'll pay more for it being a longer trip, but had he taken the direct route, it literally would have been a 1 minute ride lol, I'll explain that later. Any way, at check in, the lobby isn't anything to brag about, and honestly there wasn't much to it. The staff at the front desk that night were friendly. So our first room was a suite deluxe which came with a hot tub, but the room itself was tiny and overlooked the cemetery with minimal water view. Luckily next day we upgraded to platinum suite which had the roof top deck and pool. Well worth the money since it was larger and waaaaay better views. So the food is decent here. We did all inclusive which was well worth it to us since we order lots of drinks. The cups are small though so we had to order quite frequently. But just in the drinks alone we got our money's worth with the all inclusive. We did eat at lots of different restaurants on the island. The food at the resort was decent and I'm not a foodie or anything. But the satay restaurant was a little odd. It's a Thai restaurant I think and my husband orders the steak medium rare. When it came out, it was brown all the way through and tasted like hamburger.....I ordered the tilapia and that was good. Honestly, how often do you see cows in Mexico? So best bet on the fresh seafood. Everyone else has said it on the previous reviews, and it's true, the restaurant bar on the beach is the best so take advantage of that. The resort location is pretty awesome. Not only are you walking distance to playa Norte, but if you make a right from the front of resort, you'll walk to a main road off he shore with lots of shopping and restaurants. If you make a left instead from resort, you'll walk right to the infamous Hidalgo Street. Either street had tons of fun things to look at and buy. The local people there are very friendly, very minimal English spoken there, even at the resort, so learn some basic Spanish before heading out there. The one we used the most was "cuanto" which is "how much". Like I said before, most places prefer American dollars, it's worth more, and if you pay with American dollars, expect pesos back as change. Pretty sure we got short changed on more than one occasion. Just be sure to bring a bunch of small change. Which reminds me, if you plan to use dollars over pesos, make sure you get them in the United States before coming to isla. No one at the front desk could ever break our dollars for tip money, and ATMs here charge an outrageous amount of money to get cash. Also, not a lot of places accept major credit cards and if they do, they charge around 7% international fee, even if it's a debit card. For souvenirs, the best deals are off the beaten path. Don't worry you'll see them if you take the golf cart around on the other side of the island. We saw conch shells for around 15-20 USD on the touristy areas by the resort, but ended up buying one from a street vendor for 5 bucks. So I see this review became a novel which I apologize for. To make a quick statement, my husband, God love him, booked our return flight at 8 am. We had to get up at 4 am, we ended up walking to the ferry. I mentioned before the cab driver took the "scenic" route, but the ferry is about a 5 min walk from the resort. We took the first ferry out that morning which is at 5:30 am. To make a long story short, we lucked out and made our flight. They normally say to allow 2 hours for international flights. I would not suggest doing what we did. We made it only because we booked all of our connecting transportation services ahead of time to ensure a smooth return to the airport, and luckily the airport at that time wasn't busy. It was stressful so make sure your return flight is later in the afternoon. No worries too, you don't go through customs at the cancun airport, so that saved us a lot on time. Oh yea, if you have a connecting flight in Miami from cancun, you can't bring any liquids with you from Mexico, those get confiscated :(. We visited a bunch of places so please don't hesitate to send me an email if you have any questions!!!

Room Tip: We upgraded to room 542. Great rooftop balcony with 360 views of ocean
13 Thank Wendy S
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
We wish to express our sincere appreciation for your contribution with your comments and your detailed review.
The consistent feedback and support we get from you help us scale new heights in improving the quality of our service.
We would love to see you again in this gorgeous destination.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Hebrew first
Shingle Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I recently returned from a week in Isla, which is one of my all-time favorite places to go. It is a hidden gem that I am reluctant to even share. This was a special occasion for us, and I do have to say that the staff made a great attempt at booking us in a great room. The only problem was that I had made very specific special requests months in advance that were not taken into consideration. When I asked to change rooms, I was offered a much smaller room, and told that the others were not available all week.
Having stayed at Villa Rolandi, which was top notch all the way, I was really wondering why Aluxes got even a 4 star rating. The staff was really not very helpful (wouldn't even call a restaurant for reservations for us which then cost us extra from our room, and charged us for extra waters that they originally said were free).I had read negative comments about the beds and they were correct. The bed was one of the worst hotel beds I have experienced! It took asking for two extra pads and sleeping on top of the blanket for extra cushioning to get a good night sleep. The bed was hard and had an awful padding that didn't breathe, as did the pillows. Also, the sheet was attached to a comforter, so we had to crank up the air conditioning to stay cool. The room was huge,with a large kitchen area, but not one dish, pot, or utensil. What was the point of the kitchen? The room itself was huge, but very bland looking. There was very little decor or homey touches.
So, why does it get an overall 4 rating? Here are
the good points: The location is perfect, across from the best beach on the island and two blocks from town. Everything is walking distance away. The pool area is nice and the main bartender is great. The massage specials are just great. My four-technique special was wonderful. The transportation from the airport really works smoothly. Just be aware that when you get to Isla, you have to walk out to the road to find the taxi to the hotel. We weren't sure what to do when the ferry arrived in town. Also, be sure to request building 1,5,or 6 level 3 or higher if you want a view. Any lower and you can't see the ocean except through the buildings and palms.
I would definitely stay again because of the location, but next time will bring my own sheet and pillow and request two pads right up front. Have fun! There are great restaurants in town that I will also review. The water and weather were fantastic in May, and you can easily rent a golf cart at the front desk to see the island.we were there last time for the Whale Shark Festival. You must experience swimming with them sometime. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

5 Thank tworetiredtravelers
Thank you very much for your valuable comments, we measure our success by the feedback you give us when you return.
It is our pleasure to read that you found he location to be perfect, just a few steps from the finest beach and a couple of minute walking from downtown.
We are delighted to learn that would stay at Privilege again as we strive to provide value based vacations and your preference is our best prize.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I don't usually write reviews. I read “Don't expect a good shower or food....EVER....SERIOUSLY!!” and I was just surprised. Our experience was exactly the opposite. We stayed here for a week at the beginning of May 2014. The hotel was spotless. The shower was great and very convenient, I even remember making a comment to my wife about that. Yes, a couple times during a week stay, the cold / hot water was intermittent. The breakfast was one of the best I ever enjoyed, as variety, quality and restaurant setting (we had a stay only with breakfast buffet included). The restaurants are on the beach. Quiet and pleasant music. The people were really nice, easy to talk to, and trying to please. We always talked to them, asked about their life and information about the island. The hotel has a private beach that was never crowded. The beach is wonderful, with very comfortable palapas and cabanas. Definitely rent a golf cart and travel the island. Visit Punta Sur, Zama Beach Club, Hotel Villa Rolandi, Casa de los Suenos .We felt safe all the time anywhere on the island. People have different experiences and expectations, but all in all, our experience was wonderful. As a note, if you arrange with the hotel the transportation from / to airport, they are making arrangements with AGI Tours. Be sure you set the appointment for the return with AGI early enough to avoid surprises, as the ferry runs every half hour. I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean / pool view and higher floors.
7 Thank adrian604
Thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure to read.

It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay at Privilege Aluxes was a wonderful experience because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations. Your positive comments will help us to motivate the whole team and keep working to provide excellent services.
We really appreciate your recommendation to your friends, it will be our pleasure to welcome you back with them soon!
rhode island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just returned from our week at PA and we could not be happier!

The location and beach is perfect for what we were looking for. Always found a palapa anytime of the day and its close to all the shopping and bar hopping one would want.

Yes, we had hot water problems but it did not ruin my experience one bit. It was an inconvenience at times.

We thought the food and service we received was great and personal most times . Didn't care much for Satay, I think they should change this venue to inside -outside tapas bar for rainy /windy nights IMO.

Our room was fine we had a superior deluxe in building one, it was quiet clean and except for the water issue perfect for us.

This being our 10th time in Riviera Maya area and staying up and down the scale we liked PA for what it is, an Island hotel w/ all inclusive options on a safe comfortable Island that's easy to get to and hard to leave.

Hopes this helps see you next time

2 Thank tucanmike
We want to thank you for taking part of your time, sharing your personal experience at Privilege Aluxes, Isla Mujeres.
We also thank you for your comments and recommendations, which are very useful and help us greatly to improve day by day.
It is fantastic that you enjoyed the location and the beautiful beach receiving a great service from our team.
We would love to see you again to offer another great vacation.
British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying here and are stuck here for three more nights. We never have hot water unless we run the water for a good 20-30 minutes and then it's hot....intermittently. You could call for service and then maintenance will run the water for you and then act like they worked miracles when they have hot water coming out of the faucet 20-30 minutes later....to bad it doesn't stay hot. Add that into the horrible service you get from the breakfast staff (except for the one really nice guy that comes at the end with your bill asking you to fill out the survey) and mediocre food and that sums up the stay here. It's our honeymoon and if it wasn't for the awesome people on the island itself we would be hating it here completely. Do yourself a favor and stay at one of the great B & B's here on the island instead of staying at this hotel. The bad reviews aren't a joke, we thought it was bitter people but turns out it's legit. This place is subpar at best and they have no desire to fix the problems.

10 Thank Sammibb
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you very much for your comments and observations that help us to improve our guest satisfaction and quality service.

We are very disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations and you were let down on this occasion.
We would like to assure you that we are currently dealing with the points that you have mentioned and taking them very seriously.
Once again please accept our apologies, your full satistaction is our main goal and we work day by day to offer great experiences to all our guests.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our stay and we have to say that it was wonderful! It definitely was the best place in the island! No comparison to any of the other hotels. We were there to celebrate our 20th Wedding anniversary. We were looking for something beautiful, relaxing and at a great price. Well we got everything we wanted. The rooms were very nice and large and had great a view. The grounds were very clean and pretty. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. The beach was just like the pictures....beautiful! We loved the live music in the evening on the beach. The food and drinks were good but could be a bit better. We did not go hungry or thirsty though, that's for sure! The spa was very nice. My husband and I treated ourselves to a couples massage and then I was pampered with a facial on mother's day. Both experiences were wonderful. Definitely rent a golf cart to view the island and shop. All in all it was a great experience. I would definitely return in a heartbeat!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Privilege Aluxes to celebrate your 20th Wedding anniversary!

It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay with us was an incredible experience because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations.
Your positive comments will motivate the team to continue our effort to improve the service quality.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I read lot good reviews on this hotel but please pay attention to the poor reviews on this hotel. They are mostly true. This resort need lots of attention on the building maintenance and staff service.

Room:

Our room smelled very bad. When AC is on, it smells like rotten egg. They need duct cleaning for sure. Our kitchen sink spewed water all over the sink and counter top (They did fix this issue on third day). Our bathtub faucet diverter valve is broken. It will not pour water for bath too well. Refrigerator leaked constantly creating water puddle on the kitchen floor and no matter what level I set the fridge, temperature in the fridge will remain so so cold for the beer and etc.(place the beer in the ice maker section, you'll have very cold beer without freezing the bottle). Walls and ceilings have water damage (possible mold problem).

Food:

Thai restaurant is terrible. Do not eat there.They need to have chefs re-trained to cook real Thai food. I've been cooking all my life and I would say, their Thai food is around 15% real compared to what you would have at a real Thai restaurant.

Breakfast buffet I would rate 3 stars out of 5. Wished they had waffles, more bacon.
Lunch menu at Sabor I would rate 3.5 stars as well. If they stop over cooking, it would 4 stars.
Lunch Menu at the beach, 3 stars. Again, they over cook food and little too salty most of the time and menu selection is limited.

Dinner buffet... Forget about it. Just stick to Beach restaurant.

Room service food is okay. They need to stop putting little carrot cubes in spaghetti Bolognese.

Bar (Waiters) Service:

Very slow. Even though it's all inclusive, if you don't tip them especially at the beach bar, you're have your drinks in 30 minutes. I got tired of this so I went up to the bar and got drinks and brought it back to family myself.

Beach:

Excellent with plenty of beach umbrellas and clear blue water.

Pool:

Very nice if you stay away from the pool bar. People stay their all day and drink all day. I rarely say people come out the pool to go to the bathroom (U know what that means?). We stayed at far end where is separate section of the pool. Towel service is excellent.

Hotel staff service:

Best staff: Adrian.

Thank you again. Wished every other staff had your customer service skills

Best Manager: Augustine Duran

Augustine tries very hard to please his guest. He will go out of his way to meet your needs. I think his staff do well when he is around but when he's gone, they lax a bit. But overall, Augustine is a very fine manager who really cares for his guests.

Honorable mention:

Forgot her name but she works day shift at the front desk. Very lovely and friendly lady.

No so friendly:

Will not name (because I don't want you to lose your job) but you know who u are the front desk. He was not friendly at all and seemed annoyed when questions were asked at him. Please smile more often and be polite to your guest.

What was our family's highlight at the resort?

YOU HAVE TO DO THE GOLF CART RENTAL!!!! THIS IS A MUST!!! Take a tour of the island. Make sure u bargain for 24 for hour rate.

Will my family ever return? Most likely a "NO!" There's too many better resorts in Cancun we've been to. We will stick with them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank C C
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
We are tremendously sorry to hear about your stay. We really appreciate your remarks, and we would like just to say that you can rest assure we are considering each and all of your comments to improve our services and facilities.

It is great that you found the hotel in an excellent location and enjoyed the beautiful beach.
Once again please accept our apologies and we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you again and give you a flawless vacation.