“Amazing place, not 5 star amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
“Amazing place, not 5 star amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nice. The rooms were kept clean, the staff is friendly, the amenities are good, it is just not quite the 5 stars that it is billed. The beach is amazing and having a security guard keeping the riff-raff away was nice. The water is clear and the sand is soft. Some of the rooms probably do not have the best view, as the hotel is right next to an old cemetery, but the island is so small you can look past it and see the ocean. The all inclusive is definitely worth it for the aspect of getting all the drinks you want while laying out at the beach, or swimming up to the bar in the pool. The buffet menu also changes daily to keep things interesting. I would do it again and go from Thursday to Thursday so you start with the weekend crowned and it being busier, and then by the end of the trip it would slow down and you could have the place mostly to yourself.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kelly M
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for you review, we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Privilege Aluxes as your feelings are the best assistance to keep working to do it better and better.

It is a pleasure to receive your comment about this positive experience with us.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Hebrew first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from a 5 night all-inclusive stay and I can't begin to tell you how awesome the place is. I highly recommend the all-inclusive option as the food is phenomenal. The service was great, everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating and it was just a great experience. It's the only place I've stayed on the island but it was great. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor which had a great view.
5 Thank Corby O
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are glad we were able to satisfy all your expectations regarding the restaurants & food and especially our staff as that is our key element.

We look forward to providing you with another fantastic experience soon.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We enjoyed this resort from the minute we arrived. We stayed in a deluxe suite and had absolutely no complaints about the room. It was very comfortable, maid service was great. We ordered room service one night, and they came within 20 minutes. All of the staff were friendly and efficient, and genuinely wanted to take care of your every need. The pool was very clean, and we had no problem finding loungers there, or on the beach. Speaking of the beach, it was gorgeous! Plenty of room there too, and the beach service was quick, friendly, and efficient. A lot of people have complained about the food, but it was fine, although I agree with other posters - there is a lot of GREAT food in nearby restaurants, so don't be afraid to venture out as well.
The only thing I have to complain about is that the beer never seemed to be cold enough, ever. If you're a beer drinker, you'll definitely need a coozie.
All in all, we were very happy with the resort, we'll definitely be back :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Melawell
Thanks for sharing your experience as a satisfied guest with others.
Your testimony is very important to us and we truly appreciate it.

We would like to assure you our commitment to continue improving to keep offering more unforgettable moments.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

All in all, a great place to stay and we definitely hope to return one day. The staff work very hard to ensure that you have a great time. So many positives have been communicated by others that I would echo...here are some additional tips. 1) Where your room is located makes a significant difference. We had a suite deluxe on the first floor next to the lobby, which was not terrible but not ideal. The room was great; it just made the balcony useless. They did move us the next day a few floors higher, and that make a big difference. Next time I will try to figure out how to get to a happier place earlier. 2) The all-inclusive is a no-brainer to do....even if you go to some other places around the island to eat as well. Being able to eat and drink what you want without thinking about money adds to a relaxing vacation, and we thought overall the food was really great. We had a great experience at Satay, though getting them to answer the phone for reservations was a little difficult. Cafe del Mar, on the beach, was also really good. Sabor is mostly good, depending on the theme of the evening. A lot of that is personal taste...we didn't have anything bad and most of it good to really good...but we preferred the other two restaurants. 3) Be sure to tip generously. These folks work really hard, and most of their pay comes from tips. I had gone to the bank to get a bunch of ones and fives for this purpose, and gladly went through them all.

6 Thank JeffLJones
It is a pleasure to know that you had a great time with us and you will keep good memories of our stay with us.

Your satisfaction is the best reward we can receive from our guests and we really appreciate your words from the restaurants & food to the staff.
Just remember that here in Privilege Aluxes Hotel you will find your home where we look forward to seeing you on your next visit
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Know what to expect from a small fishing island in the Mexican Caribbean before arriving and you will not be disappointed! To me, Privilege Aluxes (PA) is perfectly imperfect. I'm alright with that! The staff is incredible. They work harder than most Americans I know. The staff is what makes this place so truly special to go alongside such beautiful scenery. It's centrally located to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

We stayed in a Platinum Suite for 14 nights starting on April 30th through the middle of May. In the past two visits, we have always stayed in the Suite Deluxe because it is so spacious. But because of the circumstances leading up to this trip, we wanted to treat ourselves to the rooftop pool and endless views. We had requested a certain suite in advance- 153- and we were happy that they were able to oblige! We were not disappointed with our decision in the least. Well- one quip but I'll get to that in a moment.

Because we booked the Platinum and stayed for 14 nights, the round-trip transportation from the airport, to the ferry, and then taxi from the ferry to the hotel and then back again on our departure day was included at no extra cost. The services were provided by AGI, and I have to say they were 100% on time and reliable. The entire transfer both ways was flawless and executed very professionally. Normally, we exit the ferry and make the short but very hot trek to PA. This time, we were whisked away in a taxi and it was a great welcome in getting us to the hotel.

We were greeted with open arms by Reyes and Jesus at the front desk. As usual the Rosé Cava bubbly they provide goes down quickly as we were anxious to settle into our suite and take in the views before heading out to dinner. Our room was spotless and spacious, the views stunning, we were gifted a bottle of Cava and a fruit plate to welcome our return. It was everything we had hoped for except what is that smell? We knew that some of the buildings at PA have a 'cavernous' smell. It's not mold, it's just what concrete in the tropics can smell like, not at all uncommon for many hotels up and down the RM. The last 2 trips we stayed in building 5 and had no problem with it. Even though the odor was there, you get used to it. But we both looked at each other and knew this was not the normal 'cavern' smell- no, this was sewage odor. And to think the best Platinum Suite on the hotel (153) also has the strongest odor! Now I know what some other reviewers talk about when they complain of sewer, while others argue it is the musty island smell. Well I can tell you this was for sure odor coming from the sewer pipes and not the odors we were previously accustomed to. It really did hit us in the face when we walked in the room. No problem, I'll just wet a few towels and cover the shower drains and make sure to burn the incense provided. More on that later.

This is our 3rd visit to PA, each time we stay two weeks so it gives us the opportunity to really settle in to island life and observe the hotel grounds, etc. I can say that yes, the beds are hard but this is the norm for Mexico. Do not fault them. It is an island. Transporting beds here will not be an easy task. Request an additional mattress pad or two prior to arrival. I can honestly say this time, the sheets were a little 'rough' and we can tell the duvet covers are starting to show signs of wear, getting clumpy. Again, we don't fault the hotel. The humidity is high and it makes sense that the material in the bed cover would start to age after awhile. They are still very clean. I just shake it a lot prior to sleeping and we are good to go. I do think they should consider an upgrade to the sheets and duvets now though.

We always start our first meal back on Isla at Cafe Del Mar because, why not have dinner on the beach with your toes in the sand while getting reacquainted with our server friends- especially Antonio! And seeing Ponce is always a real treat- I hope his leg continues to get better and that he can move back on Isla soon. Those two guys work so hard. The menu rotates every-other-week for dinner at Cafe Del Mar and for an AI it is really good! Also, we enjoy lunches there in the daytime because again, why not enjoy lunch on your sun lounger with toes in the sand! We were happy to notice they started serving Leon in cans, and there are small recycle stations for bottles and cans now on the resort- you have to look hard for them but they are there. I appreciate the small step they have taken to become more recycle-friendly.

We also noticed they started playing slightly better music at Sabor for breakfasts. While you still hear the same songs if you eat there every morning, it was a slight upgrade compared to years' past. Now all they need to do is make the music selection longer so as to avoid the 'groundhog day' effect of hearing the same song twice during breakfast and/or dinner!

Note- while we take great advantage of the AI because we drink a lot, we also still eat out to breakfast and dinner outside of the hotel as well. There are just too many great places to eat on Isla, it's a foodie's paradise! But, PA's AI is packaged in such a way that for many people, it allows us the option if we want to just chill at the hotel and drink and eat at our leisure, but not feel like we are breaking the bank by eating out. For those that say don't do AI- I say, check to see if you can fit it in your budget because for the deal we got, it only amounts to a few cocktails at the beach to realize the value. It depends on the deal so do the math and go from there. For one person that thinks that AI 'chains' you to the resort, there are 10 of us that buy the AI because it is a good value, and still eat out, never chained at all but liberated by unlimited beers and guacamole all day on the beach with great service and a smile. Flexibility is the key and how much your AI package is; it varies from deal to deal but I've seen it as low as $13 pp per day. That's a bargain! Now if only they would upgrade the liquor or still offer a premium liquor package. I was disappointed that Don Julio is now $80P per shot and not included, as were other brands that used to be included in the Platinum Suite AI premium package.

The layout of the breakfast buffet is worse than in years' past, it can be improved upon. So while there is plenty to choose from, the flow is just terrible and they need to change that for everybody's sake. They shoved the rolls and breads on the far corner to the right of the omelette station. This makes for a very crowded and frustrating experience when all you want is a piece of bread! But when there are 2 wedding parties and 7 people lined up for an omelet, you feel bad trying to get what you are after. I really hope they change it back to the way it was- the flow of the buffet line needs help. Otherwise, what's not to like about eggs cooked however you want? No, they don't put bacon out but they do serve it- just ask! Fresh fruits, yogurts, love the cactus juice. I suggest early morning if you know there are large wedding parties, otherwise you may find yourself waiting for more hot foods to be brought out.

We only ate at Satay once. The sushi was great! But, service is still very much Isla time. It takes a good 2 hours to eat dinner there so don't be in a hurry. I am also not sure why but they took Saki off the menu. What kind of sushi place doesn't have saki?

Now- back to the one 'quip' I was speaking about. There is a definite and very strong sewer smell in this platinum suite. It's so strong we went to Chedraui and bought two Glade plug-ins for the room. I noticed the smell would get even stronger in the middle of the night as we had the AC unit in the bedroom running. Every time the fan would kick back on a fresh waft of that smell would keep us from sleeping. I also found it odd that when my SO used the bedroom bath at night, the light from the bathroom would emit through the vent in the bedroom. And then it occurred to me- there is no vent from the bathroom stall to the bedroom that I saw, so how would there be light leading from the bathroom to the bedroom vent? Aha! It's an HVAC duct and somehow during construction the lighting also got wired into this vent. It then occurred to me that the odors were coming from this vent and not the shower drains as initially thought! So, on the 3rd night, we tried to leave the bedroom AC unit turned off to see what happened, and it worked! No more smell. So we put a note on the AC control unit so the maid would know to leave it off for the duration of our stay as otherwise she kept turning it on after cleaning the room. See last picture attached. And from then on out, even though we slept hotter at night, we had no more sewer odor to annoy us, we just opened the windows in the bedroom for a nice breeze. Such is the way things can be built in Mexico, and it is not that fault of the staff for this. I am just glad we found the solution to our stinky problem!

In spite of the one issue we had with the room, we will continue to visit PA. In fact, I already booked another two week trip- I'll be back to Isla late July and early August, and I am looking forward to it! The platinum suite is worth the money, do it if you can. The private plunge pool was such a treat, especially after spending the day on the hot beach. Also, the platinum suites are so high up, that it really does drown out the sounds of those who are drinking and the pool bar down below. We notice it was a lot more peaceful being that high up. And the views are to die for! We brought a portable bluetooth speaker for music in the suite. The stairwell provides awesome acoustics! We also appreciated the extra spacious bathroom and shower upstairs. There is nothing like showering with the door open with views of the water. Just fabulous!

For those who are considering whether or not to stay here, I say do it without hesitation. As long as you are not fussy about every little thing, know what to expect for Mexico, you will have a fabulous time! PA is a great place, wonderful staff. It's situated so very closely to all the wonderful restaurants in town. There is plenty of parking for your golf cart. The rooms are kept spotless. Just book it and enjoy!

PS- Thanks for reading this long TR. I have 3 more sleeps then I am back at this beautiful hotel, just in time for the whale shark festival! I cannot wait!

Room Tip: Go for the platinum suite if you can! Best views and private plunge pool. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Xajiks
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
First of all thanks for your preference and for reviewing Privilege and describing our facilities.

Our loyal guests are the greatest and most important part of our business, as we are committed to get better day by day and listening to comments and observations of your different experiences with us is the best way to achieve it.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Isla soon!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Absolutely outstanding. We could not have asked for a better experience. From the moment we stepped onto the property, we had a truly perfect vacation.

Staff: Jesus and Reyes took marvelous care of us upon check-in and throughout our entire stay. Antonio and Alberto treated us like family at the beach bar/cafe, chatting and joking with us and providing impeccable service. Sergio, Marcos, Jorge, and Miguel, also at the beach bar/cafe, were among the friendliest and most professional servers and bartenders I've ever encountered. Luz, Ivan, and Nemo at the restaurant (Sabor) welcomed us graciously and served us flawlessly at every meal. We felt as though everyone here took personal pride in ensuring that we were completely taken care of at every turn. And absolutely everyone, from grounds crew to security to housekeeping, greeted us with a friendly "Buenos dias!" and a smile every single time we passed them.

Grounds: Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Powder-soft beaches, so clean, no seaweed, grass, or rocks on the beach. Grounds crew was constantly, though unobtrusively, ensuring that the property was pristine. I especially appreciated the security staff at the perimeter of the hotel. You need to cross a VERY small cobblestone street (about 4 steps) to go from the hotel to the beach, and there is a uniformed security officer on each side. I felt completely safe allowing my teens (one bikini-clad girl!) to be on their own on the property and beach.

Food: Be hungry. This is not your typical all-inclusive food. We ate at all three restaurants, and across the board, the food was out of this world. The reservations-only Thai restaurant (Satay) had excellent food, though it's on the street side of the hotel and in the main building, so not as much ambience as the Cafe del Moar. We had coffee and the breakfast buffet at Sabor every morning--so delicious. A perfect blend of American and Mexican offerings, so you can be as adventurous as you like. We had a sit-down lunch at Sabor one day, which was delicious, and all the other days we ordered food at the beach cafe (Cafe del Moar). Guacamole, ceviche, shrimp tacos--everything we ordered was fresh, plentiful, and delivered promptly. Alberto saw how much we loved the guacamole, so he kept adding it to our lunch orders. :o) And the dinners at the cafe . . . we simply sat there making happy noises. This was our favorite place for dinner. Outstanding service, unbelievably good food, gorgeous view--one of the highlights of the property. We enjoyed a slightly dressed-up evening (collared shirts and sundresses), and I think the staff appreciates people dressing in more than t-shirts and coverups here. Dinner at Sabor (buffet) was also so so so good; like breakfast, a variety of American and Mexican dishes, plus some nights were Asian or Caribbean themed, so there is something for everyone. Note: the prices are listed on all the menus, so we quickly realized that the all-inclusive was definitely a good value. You can order absolutely anything you want off the menu (three entrees, if you want!) but if you were paying for each meal, it might be cost-prohibitive.

I read in some reviews that people were put off by the staff requests to sign "la cuenta" (the bill) after each meal or bar/beach/poolside order, and the fact that they ask you for your room number upon ordering. I actually liked that, though--all they're doing is ensuring that the property and its services are reserved for its guests, and that's part of what we paid for when we chose this hotel. After a few days, they remembered our room number anyway, so it was no hassle, and I appreciated that they were doing their best to prioritize their paying guests.

Bar: We were here for the World Cup, and it was tremendously fun to watch the game with an international crowd at the TV they set up at the beach bar. The bartenders were a blur, working non-stop (but always with a smile!) to serve everyone quickly. Miguel took great care of us and seemed to enjoy making custom shots in the colors of the two teams. :o) Another thing I greatly appreciated was how nice the bar staff was to my 16-year-old daughter; since she is underage, they took great care to keep her provided with sodas, water, juice, and snacks. No one offered to serve her alcohol, which made me happy. My 18-year-old son certainly enjoyed his bar service, though! :o)

A note on the kids: we've stayed at all-inclusives before that had lots of activities and events for families and/or kids. This isn't one of those places. Our kids were probably the only teens here. For us, this was perfect, and because we all enjoyed hanging out together or relaxing on the beach, it was exactly what we wanted. When the kids were younger, they liked having the bingo night, or the pool volleyball tournament, or pottery painting, or what have you, but they told me that quite honestly, they didn't miss it now that they're a bit older. If you're planning to visit with your teens, I'd be sure to fill them in on this aspect before you come to be sure that's what everyone wants. Frankly, we all enjoyed that it was a quieter, more adult atmosphere (no screaming kids on the beach or at the pool).

Rooms: We got 2 rooms (one for us and one for the kids) and felt completely safe--I would highly recommend this if you're traveling with teens. They were on the floor below us, and it worked out great. The bedding was luxurious, plenty of high-quality toiletries, big towels, a decadent jacuzzi tub, roomy shower . . . the rooms were ideal. Mini-bar and room service included in the all-inclusive, too! Careful with the tile floor--it can be slippery.

Spa: My daughter and I enjoyed massages here. So calming, and completely professional, and at a fraction of the price we'd spend having a similar treatment at a 5-star hotel at home. Definitely worth the indulgence.

If you want to treat yourself to a gorgeously luxurious stay, this is the hotel for you. We felt so welcomed and pampered; this was an outstanding property and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Building 6 facing the ocean; GORGEOUS views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank rlynnprince
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is so flattering to read about experiences like yours. Thank you for giving Privilege Aluxes the chance to offer you and your family such a wonderful experience.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the food, restaurants, grounds and hotel`s facilities and we trully appreciate your compliments to our staff
Looking forward to providing you with another perfect vacation!
Mt. Airy, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is the best Hotel that I have been to so far. Their service goes above and beyond what I have experienced. We stayed there with the all inclusive deal. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is only minutes away from town, shops, restaurants and great beaches!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. The Standard room is the better option.
4 Thank Jwandersen
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Privilege Aluxes, Isla Mujeres.
It is a pleasure to read that your experience with us has been one of the best!
We are looking forward to a new opportunity to welcome you to Privilege and the desire to give you the best of our attention again.