Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was our second time staying at PA. Cecilia at the front desk was excellent, and always has a big smile! Jesus was also great and very helpful.
The room was a suite deluxe, great setup, super clean, and very comfy. There was a very foul smell in the tub/shower area. It only happened once on our last morning.
Breakfast was fairly good. Luz was the best server, she always had a big smile and kind words ready. The coffee is excellent which can be spotty in Mexico. The omelettes are great, and the man who makes them is super friendly and smiley. The fruit was just ok, I've had much better in this part of Mexico.
Lunch at cafe del mar was fantastic. The shrimp tacos, cochinita pibil tacos, guacamole, calamari, ceviche, the arracherra steak, and shrimp cocktail are all excellent. The whole fried fish was way overcooked, so much so I couldn't eat it. So I just ordered shrimp tacos, no prob.
Dinner at Sabor seems like such an afterthought and kinda sad.
Dinner at cafe del mar was good, the music was really great.
Didn't try Satay this time, last time was entirely forgettable.
The drinks on the beach were very inconsistent this time. Some were great, others undrinkable. I definitely think they were watered down in comparison to last year. This is a minor irritation, however I don't go on vacation to be irritated.
The service on the beach was a bit inconsistent as well. However Sergio, Alphonso, and Bladamir were the BEST!!! They all really hustled, great job!
The property overall still looks great. There were a couple areas that could use a good scrubbing. Outside sabor in the "lounge" area and the elevators were pretty dingy. The lobby could use a little freshening up.
Overall I think they do a good job at PA. It's so affordable, beautiful beach with good service. The staff, for the most part, work really hard to make your vacation a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank chuckvandamme
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you very much for choosing us again.
We wish to express our sincere appreciation for your contribution with your comments.

The consistent feedback and support we get from you help us to scale new heights in improving the quality of our service and at the same time help to motivate our team.

We would love to welcome you back for the third time so you can experience a flawless vacation.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,035)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Absolutely amazing!!!!! If there were a sixth star, they'd get it!!!! We spent one week at this hotel with a group for our wedding!!! I had never stayed at any sort of resort and didn't know what to expect but I really did not expect the personal friendly atmosphere that we got! It's not a small resort, but it doesn't have the feeling of a large overbearing and out of place resort may have.

We had the all-inclusive package and with that you never know what you will get with the food and drinks or the service! We were so pleasantly surprised by ALL of their food and drinks, as well as their service! I came from a family of home made food, so I do know good food and I'm also rather picky. I was never displeased with a meal. I also don't tend to try new things, and sure enough, because I was so pleasantly surprised, I ventured on the menu!

We had the platinum suite and again, amazing! There's a comment on here about the standard suite being too small to move in, but a majority of our party had that suite and never had any complaints. When I saw those suites, I didn't see any problem with them either. The views are amazing in each suite I saw, which was all except the presidential. The maid service is great as well! Very respectful and polite.

We enjoyed the pool in the morning or at night as because of the sun, naturally it does heat up. However, the water is still refreshing regardless. The swim up pool bar does offer shade and friendly service!

Mainly we enjoyed the beach area though! We are both huge beach and salt water fans. One of my biggest requirements for this entire vacation was a beautiful beach area. Again, you never know based on website pictures. I fell in love the moment I stepped close! The beach area they have is STUNNING! Beautiful, clean and refreshing water! Plenty of area to relax in at whatever your comfort level! There are lounge chairs with huts and canopy beds that are yours to use as long as they're available. We never had a problem getting enough to fit our group, and as I said we were a large group. The service from the staff at Cafe del Mar is unbelievably amazing! Those guys hustle! And they do it with pleasure and a genuine friendliness! This was also our favorite place for lunch and dinner!

The island itself was full of beauty and culture! The nightlife was a blast! I highly recommend putting around in a golf cart as they're a blast. However, based on where this hotel is located, there is plenty to see by foot!

For our wedding we worked very closely, and at great length, with Elba and Alejandra through the months prior to our big day! These two women are nothing short of amazing!!!!!!! Seriously! I could not have had any better of an experience and these two are a HUGE part of that!!!! I am forever grateful for all they helped us with and walked us through!!!! They were on top of every question I had, clarified anything and everything, and made me feel so comfortable about we were in contract for. (I stress this because I had already half planned our event at a DIFFERENT resort before the story and contract started changing drastically from the original. Obviously, not a good thing...). That being said, when I contacted Privileges, I had already been weary of this whole destination wedding thing and a bit rushed because of the time list in the first place. They were very responsive to my concerns and my requirements. I am extremely picky when it comes to service having a service background and they have my full respect! Amazing!!!! I could not have asked for a better day, thank you ladies!!!!!

This entire trip for us was AMAZING! EACH member of the staff here are extremely nice and helpful. The food is fantastic. The drinks are great! The atmosphere is very welcoming! And the views, location and scenery is STUNNING!!!!

I wish I had more time before we left to thank each and every one of staff again for everything they are that made this trip absolutely amazing for us!!!! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel as not only a must for your vacation stay but also fabulous for a destination wedding!!!!!

We fully intend on going back to Isla Mujeres and when we do we will only stay at Privileges Aluxes when we do!

Thank you all! From the very bottom of our hearts!

Doris and Shannon

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank DorisZurlo
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is so flattering to read about your whole experience from beginning to end.
Thank you as well for giving Privilege Aluxes the chance to offer you such a wonderful time and create unforgettable memories.

We really appreciate your comments regarding the team working at Privilege, we take pride for our staff to be our most important asset and it gives us great pleasure when our guests consider them to be as such.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Loved this place and stayed here twice on the holiday. On my return we had Champagne and fruits waiting in the room to welcome us back. It is an all inclusive hotel and its worth it. Here is the breakdown:
Hotel Services: Polite, effective and communication is very good. Reception can be a little slow but you are on a island so not a major thing to wait an extra 5 to 10 minutes. Rest of the staff areas are fast.
Hotel Room: Massive Deluxe suite with Jacuzzi, living room, balcony, and sea view :) I had more space than I needed :)
Restaurants: Savoy 7/10, Satay 8.5/10, and Beach club 8/10. The food is overall good and points for them to try and make it better. The seafood is fresh and fantastic. The drinks are good and satisfactory.
Beach: On north side of Island so the best beaches are here with calm crystal clear waters.
Activities: Go do the whale shark tour because this is just awesome, go to the turtle farm, rent a golf cart and ride the island. 5 min walk to center.

I would stay here again ;)

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ChasethatDish

It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay at Privilege Aluxes was a great experience because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations.

It is great that you had the opportunity to swim with the whale sharks, it is a once in a life time experience.
We are delighted to read that you would return to Privilege and we look forward to it!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a crew of 9 and spent 5 nights on Isla for snorkeling with the whale sharks and relaxing. Privileges worked very well with us to secure our rooms close to each prior to our arrival. The front desk personal tried very hard to work out a few hiccups that did occur. But for the price and amenities you get at Privileges you can not go wrong. I recommend anyone visiting the island to please give them a try. The pools and beaches are great. The suites are very roomy and clean with everything you need, This is our second stay and will return again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Janie1976

First of all thank you for choosing us again and for your feedback.
At Privilege we know that loyal customers are largely responsible for our success and we are grateful to all.
It is great that you have had a relaxing time with us and enjoyed the whale shark experience, it is a must!
We appreciate your trust and we will do our best to continue giving you the kind of service you deserve soon again!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The property overall is a bit "weathered" which I guess is understandable with the sun and proximity to the sea, but seemed a bit rougher than the website photos. Rooms are comfortable and clean with 3rd floor and above capable of decent sea views. The presidential suites have a decent size private pool which is great for sunset viewing. Expected the food to be better but it was hit or miss, yet with all inclusive you can easily take the option of ordering something else. Breakfast buffet was good, especially the omelet station. Satay was a great dinner option yet they make a big deal about reservations even when the restaurant is nearly empty, I understand some need for planning but it seemed contrived. It appeared to us they water down the booze to keep the partiers in check, yet it made the drinks taste funny. Beer seemed the better option with several bottle and draft options. The only complaint was they have no water toys or beach activities. We had a couple teens with us and some kayaks, floats, paddle boards, sailboats or anything would have been a welcomed treat on such a pretty beach. Definitely rent a golf cart and tour the island don't really think you need for more than day, but it's an easy way to explore and daily rate's are only $35-40 with gas and fee's.

Room Tip: Floor's 3 and above have better sea views, yet not all rooms face the water. 633 is a great suit...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Indiananimal
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your opinion, at Privilege we are always working to improve our services and facilities, as we are currently doing, and the best way is listening to you.
We are sorry that you were expecting more activities or water toys, as we are adult orientated we do not offer activities for teenagers as we are focused on relaxation.
We are glad that overall you had a nice time and enjoyed this beautiful island.
We will be happy to see you again to offer a superb stay.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is billed as a adult only - luxury - all inclusive resort. I would argue all 3.
If your first experience with the hotel is to get on a waiting list to upgrade your room, your in for a long week.

First - just some reference material
private transfer here:
www.usa-transfers.com

Ultramar Ferry dock (at OXXO store)- Puerto Juarez here:

island map here:

Getting to hotel from the dock is about a 10 minute walk or $4 cab ride.

Check in was quick - needed to provide credit card with $200 hold on in it for incidental charges. We chose to do the all inclusive plan - in the end I am sure it was of value.

My understanding of the hotel was there were 3 room types. standard - jacuzzi - private pool. I wasn't concerned with view as one side faces a school and one side faces a cemetery and once side face pool/ocean. I just wanted basic room with patio. I had emailed hotel prior to arrival to confirm this.

When we checked into the room - the bellboy couldn't get into room to drop off bags - the room literally was not big enough for 3 people. the first night prior to upgrading. When my wife wanted to go to the bathroom - I had to get on the bed or move next to the front door- the fridge was something you would find in a vehicle. The next day I tried to cancel the trip and go back to cancun. I had booked trip through expedia - I had expedia on the phone and they told me once I checked in - I was stuck for the complete bill - this information was different than info I had when I booked the trip - ???

I decided to upgrade to the next level - for $50 a night. This room was a small apartment - complete with a kitchen - why 8 empty cupboards in the kitchen - I have no idea - at least there was room to move. Decided to make the best of the trip and explore the island - that is the primary reason we chose isla in the first place.

Pool: not many people used the pool as there was no shade and water was warm - this could be seasonal- as well as the fact you could only get keg beer or house liquor.

Beach: absolutely beautiful - sand so soft and white - crystal clear water. wow!!!
The service at the beach is complicated by the fact the servers also manage service at the restaurant and the general public can use beach chairs if they purchase food and drinks. There is not much to do at beach - you need to bring everything - inflatables, music, snorkeling gear, etc - not very all inclusive... Drink options are limited - no drink menu - good luck trying to explain what is in a superman. haha

moving between beach and pool - not really feasible, do to distance and not wanting to leave belongings out of sight.

Restaurants:
Buffet - it is what it is - the food is decent - your not going to walk away hungry
breakfast got old after few days - I can only eat so many omelets.

Satay - good food - Asian themed - no dressed code - reservations required - on the wknd 24 hours notice for reservations not enough - reserve early.

Cafe del mar - Beach: Good food - light entertainment at night

Room service - free with all inclusive plan except for $5 service fee - not really all inclusive ???

Location of hotel is nice - quick walk to town - plenty of restaurant and bars. typical souvenir tshirts - nothing unique..

Excusions: no jet ski rentals. need to go to cancun to rent ?? did go snorkeling and scuba diving at punta sur - pretty cool....
Rented golf cart to drive around the island. you can rent by the hour, the day (9-5) or 24 hours. shop around.

In summary: Average hotel - good for a weekend - no longer

Room Tip: with 14 different room types - prepare to upgrade upon arrival - the website is not accurate.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bthomps01

We want to thank you for your contribution with your comments and for giving us the opportunity to get back to you.

We are sorry that the information that you got was not accurate, Privilege is an adult orientated hotel but not an adult only, our All Inclusive option includes free 24 hrs room service, only the standard and superior rooms have just one free of any charge room service a day and in case there are more orders in the same day there is a charge only for the service. Regarding the rooms types we have the description of all of them in our website so our guests know what to expect when they book with us.

Thank you again for the consistent feedback we receive from you that help us to scale new heights in improving the quality of our service.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just spent a week on Isla Mujeres, Mexico for our vacation.
I would highly recommend this little island. Very relaxing, people are super friendly, and the island is beautiful. We stayed at Privlege Aluxes for the 2nd time. It is a small but beautiful hotel, not the typical oversized all inclusive's. Although this is an all inclusive we opted not to use it this time.
Our breakfast was still included. We enjoyed going out to dinner every night to see what the island had to offer. 2 places i recommend, Soggy Peso, best day to go, Sunday, they have a rib special that is fantastic. Owner is super friendly and it is a great atmosphere. Also loved Oscars, the owner came out to meet us, he was from Brooklyn, best pizza and seafood. Great place to see sunsets. The staff is super friendly and the room was nice, but i'm not there for the room.
If your looking for true flavor of Mexico and a more geared down island this is the best place to go. Just beautiful. Can't wait to go back/ Be back soon! Thanks Privlege Aluxes for meeting all of our needs

Room Tip: Any room but 624. would rather stay in back building next time.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank patty753
Privilege A, Social Media at Privilege Aluxes, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

First of all thank you for your preference and for choosing us for your second time.
We are pleased that your expectations were met and that you enjoyed this peaceful island and its relaxing atmosphere.

The whole team will be happy to see you soon again at your home in Isla!