“Highest Luxury I've ever stayed at!”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Connecticut-USA
“Highest Luxury I've ever stayed at!”
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Priviege Aluxes, Best Value

BOOKING: Booked with Orbitz, best value and easy to use site, also booked ground transportation with The Grey Line for tansportation from the airport to the ferry, this was very affordable round trip option. Ferry ride at site was $3 per person, Taxi on Isla Mujeres was $3 to any location.

CHECKIN: Explained that we were staying for a week, reception stated they did not have our reservation. I gave them a copy of my Orbitz paperwork, Piviege Aluxes gave us a wet towel to freshen up and glasses of champagne and snacks, while this was happening the check in peolpe gave a room and said not to worry.

ROOM: All rooms are new, very high quality finish in the room and the entire resort. The bed was just right for us, not to hard but somewhat firm. Flat screen TV, frig; large bathroom with an unbelievable shower, on the balcony there was a two peson jetted hot tub. No charge 24 hour room service, sweet! Great ocean view for boat watching to fantastic sun sets. Room is very quite, no outside noise from anything.

FOOD: I do not have the culinary vocabulary to describe the great meals we had. PA has a meal experience which occurs at each meal, unbelieable. Taste and flavors experienced for the first time and I've started vacationing since the 1970's. I am 59 and this is the best dinning expeience I've ever had. Best value is the all inclusive option. I never had a problem when I ordered off menu or added items to the meal experience.

DRINKS: PA uses premium alcohol, bar tenders are very knowledgeable, and no lines because to always bring beverages before you get up.

EMPLOYEES: All employees are very friendly and have a smile and a have a geat day, always making you feel very special. Best service we have ever received.

TIPS: Employees are never looking for a tip, I tipped the room person one dollar per day, also tried to tip the frig person a dollar a day, the frig person never took the tip. Tipped the evening meal five dollars. The day before we left tipped all waiters and servers ten to fifteen dollars.

RESORT: Superior location on Beach North. I think the only resort with waiters serving drinks and snacks on the beach; with padded lounge chairs. PA has a restaurant on the beach, bathrooms, showers, and a full bar. To get service just raise your hand, unbelievable, sometimes if your finished drink a new one is given before asking, sweet! There was never a drink line. The overall resort has a very high quality finish. Great pools, with servers for drinks, snacks, and meals, this is great luxury. The main dinning options are available inside or outside. No reservations required, no wait for a table, fantastic service. Shade options are available everywhere. PA has a chair guy on the beach to care for your things when you leave your lounge chair to swim, walk the beach, or have a meal at one of the restaurants. Great island music through out the resort. Dinning options available on the beach included with the all inclusive program.

LOCATION: Located on Beach North the best beach on Isla Mujeres. There is a very short walk to the town center for shopping and entertainment. The Isla Mujeres is very safe day or nightband the people are very friendly, everybody waving and offering a smile. Vendors are not pushy on the beach or in town, great values to be had.

THE TOWEL GAME: There is no towel game at the PA. They have more than enough needed equipment through out the resort.

SPA: Full service spa with great people working on the beach and at the Spa within the resort. They have a fitness room with equipment but I only looked at this from the outside, no lines anywhere on the resort.

CONSTRUCTION: No construction visable from the outside, also no noise heard from workers fine tuning the resort. Within the next 30 days another restaurant will be available.

CHECK OUT: Remember the no reservations on file at check in, Privilege Aluxes never mentioned this again and solved the problems without bothering us. Checkout was very fast and easy.

LIKED MOST: room, shower, two person jetted hot tub, meals, drinks, snacks, employees. Privilege Aluxes has a very active mamagement teams tending to the details making sure gueats have the highest luxury stay available. There were no extra charges for anything except the massage at a fantastic value.

LIKED LEAST: leaving

7 Thank AREARUG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Hebrew first
texas
Reviewed 13 March 2009

They are booking rooms that they do not have. This is NOT an All Inclusive. They have 5 items on the menu. The property is nice but do not expect a "SPA" It is a lady that walks around with a bed. The Gym is 3 machines. The breakfast was a small buffet. Our room ws not finished & we did not get the room we booked. Most everybody we talked to had the same problem & were unhappy with the room "runaround". As of March 5th, there are only 30 rooms open. 1 building is not complete at all. I am happy that I did NOT do an All Inclusive as Isla has too many economical restaurants and Privalege Aluxes is not ready for All Inclusive. I would give this place a Year. TV did not work for 2 days. 1 day NO Elevator. 1 day NO ELECTRICITY

5 Thank cabotravelor
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We just returned from a week stay there and there are lots of good and bad points.
The bad first:
-Not everything is open yet...but they are making fast progress.
-Service is VERY slow (an hour for room service?)
-Many times there is no follow-through on service requests (if they say they will call you back don't believe them!)
-Food is not as good as we hoped and not as described on the menu
-Whether you actually get what you ask for or not is questionable
-They need to do some QA/QC on the rooms as many are missing items, things don't work, or they need clean-up on the construction work.
-The beds are really hard and the sheets are scratchy (but we still slept fine)

The good:
-When we finally got the promised upgrade (it took 3 days) the room was amazing. We were given a penthouse suite with private sundeck and pool and we were in heaven.
-The employees are really nice and try really hard. I wanted to take Sergio from the restaurant home with me and Mateo at the pool was attentive.
-The pool/sundeck lounge chairs are really comfy
-They are making very fast progress and I think the hotel will be spot on in a couple months.

Despite the longer list of "bad" items I would definitely be back. I just hope I can afford it in the future. From what I saw of the accomodations on the island this hotel is easily in the top 5 for luxury and quality. And right now the prices are far better than the other hotels of the same quality.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank debb6373
earth
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My daughter Ixchel and I, had a wonderful time at the hotel. We enjoyed every moment of it. Best location. Beautiful rooms, gorgeous swimming pools and a trendy restaurant.
Wonderful staff, very friendly (our thanks to Jose Munoz our Bellboy).
It was perfect.
WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009
Washington DC area
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We´re here until March 18th. Forget those earlier reviews! The hotel is open. It´s gorgeous. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Yes, they´re still finishing rooms in other sections of the hotel but you we don´t hear any of their work in the section we´re in. Yes, a few things need fix up in the room (need a robe hook in the bathroom) but they´re trivial matters More important -- the three pools are beautiful. The spa is serene -- I had a massage yesterday that left me in a blissful, relaxed space. Tonight they delivered the activity list for the week to our room -- along with two chocolates for the evening. Breakfast is outstanding. The hotel has it´s own section of the beach, which is wide and sandy. Pina coladas on the beach at sunset -- what more could we want?
Everything is within walking distance.The town is right outside the door (though you´re not aware of it when you´re inside the hotel´s space...)
The guests here are all ages (no children)
If you are thinking of coming here but unsure whether they´re ready for you -- don´t hesitate... just get on the plane and come!
(We´ll post photos later)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I returned from Isla Mujeres and the Privilege Aluxes on Feb 28th. I was pleasantly surprised at what a lovely trip I had. The hotel made significant progress since opening week. Even though only 30 rooms were ready, you at least had the impression that the hotel was done from the outside. The day I left they were putting chairs out near the Cafe Del Mar so it seemed that it would be opening soon. Only one restaurant was open and unless you got a fantastic deal for an All-inclusive, or think you can drink that amount, I would skip the All-inclusive part. The restaurants in town are so close and the food and atmosphere are fantastic. At night, they block off Hildalgo street and move tables and chairs into the street. It's a big party every night. Don't miss the grouper and cerviche at Fayne's.
The lobby of the hotel is very small with a retro 60's feel but the rest of the property has a zen-like quality that is aesthetically pleasing with 3 pools arranged in a diagonal to each other with a curved wooden bridge serving as the walkway between two of them. The spa and gym are housed in bamboo huts behind the pools. There is a thatched roof pool bar. The lounge chairs, both at the beach and pool, are very comfortable and one of the pools has a ledge where some lounge chairs are placed for sitting in the water. At night the pools are lit up with a violet glow. It was truly lovely. I had a small room with a view of the cemetery but it was just fine. The terrace was huge with a jacuzzi tub -although the jets didn't work. If you're into massages, ask for Claudio. He gave me one of the best I've ever had. Now remember when I wrote this, the hotel was only one third open and I paid probably one fourth of what they will charge when it's completed. Rather than rewrite the book you should read the review that says "Wonderful, Wonderful" for this hotel. I would just be repeating what this person said.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
ilovemexi
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We just returned from the Privilege Aluxes and had a wonderful stay. Our room a a bit small but beautiful. We did not get a large room thinking we would not be spending that much time in it. We were upgraded to a room with a hot tub on the balcony. The shower was tile and very very large with frosted glass doors. The room was cleaned to perfection daily and again at nightly turn down service. We did leave a small tip for housekeeping. The hotel is still under construction in some areas but this in no way interferred with our stay. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The beach area was nice with a lot of chairs and a beach bar. The pools were beautiful and grounds well kept. In fact, there was always someone cleaning something on the grounds. The gardens are beautiful. There is a computer with internet access in the lobby for use with no charge. We ate the buffett breakfast that comes with the stay every morning. It was wonderful. The restaurant was lovely both inside and out, and staff was very attentive.

The location of the hotel is a short walk from the ferry, only about 5 minutes. The ferry ride from Puerto Juarez is only about 15 minutes and very inexpensive. Across the street is a nice place to eat and relax called Jax. It is also located just a block or two from many other great eating spots and shops. All of the restaurants have drinking specials.
Very nice location for getting to everywhere conveniently yet off a bit from the action that happens in the market areas.

Everything is negotiable! Everything. The exchange rate differs from place to place. Some of the smaller shops give a 10 peso per 1 dollar, while others give 14 peso per 1 dollar. The banks give the higest rate of exchange. It was difficult to figure out the money exchange due to this and using credit/debit card is not an option in many of the areas.

We rented a golf cart and explored the isla one day, Jamie at the hotel arranged everything for us and had the golf cart waiting. The ruins at the east end of the Isla are very beautiful. However the staff there pushes drinking on people and tends to give the incorrect change for food and beverages. There were several people calling them on this when we were discussing this with them. They tend to speak very good english when trying to get you to dine at the restaurant, however seem to lose that skill when being asked about giving incorrect change back.

The isla itself is a beautiful stay for those not wanting largeness of the city of Cancun, which is like going to any big city. We rode the ferry to Cancun for the day which worked well for us. The bus system runs up and down the hotel area of Cancun and is cheap easy transportation. Cabs are everywhere, however I recommend getting a quote directly from the cab drive as to the price of the transportation. When we left the airport we took a shuttle that took almost an hour for 20 dollars per person. We were told a cab would be 65 dollars. However, we found out that even cab fare was negotiable and we took a 20 minute cab ride from the puerto back to the airport for only 35 dollars.

All in all, the island was lovely. The hotel was perfect and hands down one of the best I have ever stayed at in Mexico, (or anywhere else), where often the star rating don't apply. We are planning on going back in July and renewing our wedding vows.

3 Thank ilovemexi