“Fantastic Wedding”
Review of Privilege Aluxes

Privilege Aluxes
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My wife and I had our wedding at the Privilege Aluxes on October 24th. Let me just say right off that the entire wedding from start to finish far exceeded our expectations. Everything went perfect. Elba, our wedding coordinator was awesome! We traveled to the island with 15 guests from Texas, Indiana and California. Long before the trip I kept a close eye on ALL the reviews which had been posted about this hotel on Trip Advisor. At first we booked an all-inclusive package since the price was so reasonable. After reading more and more reviews about the food, we switched out our plan to the "breakfast only" option. This was the best move on our part. The reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty much "spot-on" about the food and service. The breakfast was only ok at best, but we ended up eating it every morning anyway. The made to order omelets were the best thing on the buffet. Even the coffee tasted worse than Folgers. Even though the staff was very very nice, they were not that tentative. We had to constantly flag them down to get a coffee or water refill and there wasn't that many people eating. One day on the beach we ordered ceviche and guacamole...and never saw it. After an hour or so, I went up to the Cafe Del Mar to check on the order only to find out they had no idea what I was talking about. The hotel does have some kinks to work out especially like everyone states....the food and service. We stayed in a premium suite with a roof top pool which was awesome! The view from the roof was breath taking. Most of our wedding guests stayed in deluxe rooms which either had a view of the cemetery next door (which is kinda cool to check out) or the local schoolyard across from the street from the lobby which woke you up every morning with the sound of people shouting on bull horns trying to round up the children. The hotel also states free wifi internet in the rooms, but our signal was so weak I couldn't pull up a single page. The lobby has a community computer so you can check your email and sports scores anytime. The hotel does have full cable, BUT 98% of the channels are in Spanish. Across the street from the Privilege Aluxes is a fantastic little sports bar name Jax which televises all the big games in English. Our wedding party spent many hours over there watching NFL, MLB and NCAA games. One thing we HIGHLY recommend is using the room safe. We had 2 iPods stolen from our room while my wife and I were getting a massage. It really bummed us out because we had all our wedding and reception music on those iPods to be played during our wedding. Everything else was exactly like everyone states on the previous reviews here on Trip Advisor. The hotel is very beautiful, the rooms are clean, and the beach is wonderful. We were so glad that we chose not to go "all-inclusive" because of all the great restaurants downtown. Hidalgo Street is literally just one block from the hotel's entrance which is the main drag with bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant. If you need money definitely go to HSBC which is located directly across from the ferry dock. The exchange rate was surprisingly really good with 13 to 1 at the time. We got 11 to 1 at DFW airport. You will want to pay for most things in Pesos because the locals tend to round the U.S. dollar to 10 (10 to 1), which you instantly pay 30% more without really thinking about it. Be prepared to sweat like mad when you are in Isla. The weather always said 82 degrees, but it was actually like 95 when the sun is out. Bring insect repellant because we woke up with bites around our ankles from being out on the beach (and I normally never get bit). Rent a golf cart and don't pay over $45 for a 24 hour rental. Tourism is still very low so you can work some deals with the vendors. NEVER pay asking price for anything. Start your bid low and meet in the middle. Overall, we all had a great time on the island. You can find bad things about every hotel you stay in. We would come back and stay again at the Privilege Aluxes, but hopefully the kinks will be worked out.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank ziontrain
There are newer reviews for Privilege Aluxes

Reviewed 4 November 2009

WOW!!! First time to an all inclusive and I hope to go back to the hotel soon! I travel quite alot, this year Paris (France), Rome (Italy), Naples (florida). This hotel is top notch! We went for a long 5 night weekend. From the Ferry to the Isla Mujeres, the hotel is a 10 min walk, or $3 taxi. Very easy to get from cancun airport here. We had a second floor suite with hot tube, the view was wonderful and the room was huge!! The rooms are a 50 yard walk to a hotels beach, where a outside cafe sits and a bar. Private lounge chair are all over for hotel guests. the pools are great, so is the pool bar. Try the spa, they give you a coupon for $30 off a person. We did a couples massage. We did the all inclusive, since it was so cheap I figured we would get our $ just in drinks. Well the food was wonderful (I was very suprised, since people say an all inclusive is like cruise food and I hated cruise food). Breakfast at the wonderful, fresh buffet, (with a chef to make egg dishes for you). For lunch Cafe del Mar, on the beach was the only one open, the food was great (burgers, shrimp cocktail, grilled chicken). Dinner Satay was the best of the 2 resturants, it was to die for (Sping rolls, curried chicken, coconut ice cream)!!!Room service is available 24hrs a day, and was very good (tender steak, pasta, and brownie dessert). The service was excellent! The drinks got stronger as the day got later, a dollar tip would get you a drink so strong I had to ask for another glass with no liquor so I could drink it. We brought dollar bills and tipped about what we do in USA, but no one ever hinted at the tip and everyone was so accomodating!! The staff keep the food and drinks flowing the entire time, and encouraged you to try something, say a dessert and just take a bite. Everyone spoke some English, most spoke very good English. I can not wait to go back! Remember this hotel is not like Cancun, it is more calm to relax. Not partying all night!

2  Thank lindsay8182
Reviewed 2 November 2009

My 7 year old son and I went on a small trip to Cancun last May and enjoyed 4 days at Privelege. This was during the prime season of the Swine Flu Scare and over 30 other resorts were closed down at this time. We had a great time, a great room with decent service. Due to swine flu, many of the staff at the resorts were furlowed and so the service suffered a bit. But the food was great, the beach was good and the pool was nice. If it was during any other time the service I believe would of been out of sight. I look forward to going back in the next few months. Also go off resort and have a good dinner at the small restaurants down the street. There is some good food and deals down there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank rlouisa
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We have always vacationed in Cancun and have never stayed on the Isla. We have found a new home at Privilege Aluxes, we were treated like royalty, If you are looking from a relaxing vacation, this is the place, The rooms are beautiful and huge. The staff was always there to help. we did not have the all inclusive, but did very much enjoy our morning buffet breakfast. The view of the white sand and sea from the dinning room is awesome. We ate dinner and lunch in town everyday, there are many great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, every meal was great..
.My wife and I both enjoyed a massage at the Aluxes Spa. Liz was great.
We can not wait to go back to Isla Mujeres and will undoubtedly stay at the Privilege Aluxes .

4  Thank mikeantara
Reviewed 23 October 2009

This hotel was beautiful, clean, and new. We enjoyed every second of our stay there. The rooms were large, and the balcony had a great view overlooking the pool.

The staff was very accomodating and friendly. Jaime at the front desk looked after us extremely well. He helped us book a tour to Chichen Itza, gave us great restaurant suggstions, and facilitated our golf cart rental at a discounted rate, and had the cart rental brought brought to the hotel.

2  Thank jodismack
Reviewed 23 October 2009

We just got back from PA for our honeymoon and it was great place. The room is nice and bathroom and balcony were awesome. The hotel is such a great place to relax. There are always chairs available on the beach and at the pool. The service was great at the hotel. Everyone made such an effort to accommodate us in every way. We ate breakfast every morning at Sabor and the servers would even carry my wife’s plate to the table for her after she picked out what she wanted. The only lack of service that I can say the entire time I was there was the fact that people didn’t really come out to take drink orders while you were on a chair on the beech. I mean they would but maybe every hour or 2. It’s not really a big deal because the bar was only 40 feet away but it would have been nice. Also, the restaurants weren’t exactly open what their hours advertised. The café on the beach closed at 10 not 1 am and they were done cooking food at 7 not 10. Other than that everything was perfect. I will say that if you want to go to a hotel down there to party until 5 am then go across the bay to Cancun. We went during low season so I can’t say what it is like year round but most of the bars in the area closed around 11 pm, maybe earlier if no one was there. There was 1 American style club that was open until 3 pm.

A lot of people on here are talking about how the all inclusive is not the way to go but I have to disagree. First of all the food at the resort is really good, especially Satay, however it is probably one of the most expensive places to eat on the island. They have you sign for everything you buy and it includes the amount that you would spend and I think that we averaged spending $125-$150 a day on food and drinks. Lunch including appetizers would cost about $30, a nice dinner at Satay ran about $80, beers are about $2.50 and mixed drinks are about $5. I personally just would rater order whatever I want on vacation instead of trying to decide if I really need another drink or appetizer. If you don’t do all-inclusive there are plenty of places to eat in town that are awesome and cheap. I wouldn’t have eaten at the resort at all if we didn’t have the all-inclusive option because the food is good there but it is really good in town and a lot cheaper. No matter what option you do you have to go to Olivia’s. It is one of the best places I have ever eaten at in my life and my wife and I went and had a huge meal and I think it was about $20. Bamboo is also another awesome place that we ate at a couple of times. They had this amazing spicy green sauce. I almost talked out waiter Abraham into

There are a couple of more things that really don’t have anything to do with the resort that I wish I knew before I went. First, exchange dollars for pesos at your bank in America. I think the exchange rate was at about 14 to 1 when we went and if you try to use dollars a lot of places will rip you off by giving you a 10 to 1 exchange. If you want you can change them at the desk which was 12 to 1 or in town at around 13 to 1. Second, we were almost in a ton of trouble when leaving because we wanted to get back home early to relax a little bit but we didn’t realize that the first ferry off the island was at 5:30. I wouldn’t book a flight any earlier than 8 or 8:30. Third, if you aren’t going to do all inclusive I would bring a little cooler for the beach. The resort and places on the beech sell beer for about 35 pesos and there is a store right across the street that sells beer for 10 pesos a piece. Maybe I am just cheap but that is the difference between $2.50 a beer and $.71 a beer.

14  Thank BrianHMo
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Besides being a beautiful hotel, including rooms, location, grounds, the staff made our stay extra special. Everyone that we encountered was friendly and helpful. You do have to get used to "Island Time", because everything moves at a slower place on the entire Island. Just kick back and relax, that is what your there for, right?
Rooms: The rooms are beautiful. Modern and clean. We had a beautiful view with a large balcony that looked out across the pool and out to the sea. It was spectacular, to say the least. The hotel sits at the tip of North Beach and it has a view of the sea from all sides. We had a lovely view of beautiful cemetery and the sea beyond it as we walked out our door each morning. We were on the 5th floor and we always took the elevator up but we took the stairs down every time, our way of exercise, not to mention the beautiful view.
Food: Great! Best variety and selections we have had at an all inclusive.
Drinks: Anything you want and plenty of it!
Location: Best place to stay on the entire island!
The layout of the hotel is great. Everything is within easy reach. The buffet restaurant and Satays are located in the main area of the hotel. Cafe del Mar is located on the beach. You can also order food from a small menu at the pool. Drinks are available at all locations. They also bring food and drinks to your lounge chairs on the beach, a really nice touch! Omar, was our favorite waiter on the beach. Antonio, at the pool bar was great and we got to know him well! You must make an effort to meet the chef, Gabriel. You can usually find him in the buffet restaurant but we ran into him all over the resort. You cannot miss him wearing his chefs hat and a huge smile. He was so happy and friendly, we just loved him, plus his food was great.
All of the staff from waiters, housekeepers to management staff were wonderful. Always there with a smile and ready to please.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. It was awesome and we will be back!

8  Thank startpacking