“Good Budget Option”
Review of Carmelina Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Carmelina Hotel
Ranked #22 of 38 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Barbados
“Good Budget Option”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed five nights in Hotel Carmelina- cost was M$350 per night for a double room with WIFI. This included free coffee/hot water for tea drinkers!

Our room was small and got quite warm at times. The bed was comfortable and sleep quality was good. The bathroom was pretty standard and had hot water. Storage was not great in our room but I think we had the smallest room in the hotel and there are more spacious and more expensive rooms available. We had a fridge and a TV in the room. There was a little porch outside our room which was nice to sit out on in the evening time.

The hotel is in a really good location. It is a few minutes’ walk from the beach and main eating/drinking area. There is also a supermarket close by.

The staff in the hotel are very nice but only speak Spanish. They are very friendly and will help you out even if you are not fluent in Spanish!

Overall, we would recommend this hotel as good value for money and a good budget option.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BarbadosSecret1

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grand Beach
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel has a balcony so that you can sit and visit with other quests. I shared a very large room with my girlfriend. We were there the third week of March, no a/c, but a large ceiling fan.
The room had three large beds, a long dresser, a chair and a small but clean bathroom.
Always had hot water for showering, I know other rooms on the third level had problems with no hot water. Close to the grocery store, shops and restaurants and beach. Price per week was very reasonable. Nice place to vacation at.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robbiii
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This hotel has 28 rooms wrapped around a very attractive welcoming outside courtyard. The rooms are bright and very clean although somewhat small. The bed was comfortable. End rooms have two windows. We had a small fridge in our room. The bathroom was very functional with lots of hot water and a good shower. TV, internet, fans and air are all provided at no extra cost. A plus is that you can sit and relax on the balcony outside each room in the evenings. Rooms were cleaned and linen changed every day. Free coffee in the morning at the desk. They have bike rental at a small cost.
We found this family run hotel to be very friendly. Many people return year after year to the hotel. For 350 pesos a night it was great. It is close to down town but does not have the noise of the bars to keep you awake at night. There is a laundry on the next corner that was convenient and inexpensive.

Room Tip: The upper level was airy and had a nice breeze. Corner rooms have two window and better light.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Iain R
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Hotel Carmelina offers very simple rooms at an awesome price! The hotel is within walking distance to everywhere on the island that you want to go. You can easily walk there (with luggage) upon the ferry boat arrival. The people are friendly and the rooms are clean. However, it is VERY simple. Just a bed, a rod to hang your clothes with some wooden shelves, a ceiling fan, air-conditioning (we don't use air-conditioning, but a bonus for some people) a tv, a shower, a toilet and a sink. It is all cement walls and not pretty. But the price is great and the location is perfect. From now on, we will always go straight to this little treasure!
If I recall correctly, it was $25.00 per night.
Bonus: They offer wi-fi internet inclusive!
Please keep in mind this is not for people who need anything fancy or pretty. This is functional and clean.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a breeze if you don't use air-conditioning
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Blitzpacker
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 7 March 2011

It's not the WORST we've stayed in, but it's definitely low on the list. They have rooms with one, two or three beds. And even though we had reservations, when we checked in they said they were full and the only room available was one with three beds...their most expensive at $500/night. Not wanting to deal with having to find another hotel, we took it. But after a couple nights realized the hotel was NOT full.

PROS: The beds are good. Clean sheets, comfortable mattresses. The A/C works great. There's a small fridge, lots of TV channels to choose from and free wifi! Good location too.

CONS: Rooms are old, bathrooms are VERY old and small. Ants coming out of the electrical outlets. Water literally dribbled out of the showerhead. My husband actually removed the showerhead which made it better. They didn't empty the garbage in the bathroom from the guests before us. Pretty sure there's a sewage line leaking behind the building because whenever we opened the bathroom window the smell was horrendous. And while most hotels are loud, this one was VERY loud. You hear everything. People coming and going at all hours of the night and children shouting and running around early in the morning. The managers live on sight but I think they're the loudest of all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank playagirl30
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 10 March 2010

If you remember the Carmelina from years ago be aware that it has upgraded. It still has large rooms with a number of beds but now has cable TV, a small fridge, and better mattresses. The Carmelina is a friendly place and is set up to promote interaction. In March 2010 the rate was 500 pesos a day.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
vancouver
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Ok, so I was staying at The Hotel Bucaneros, 2 days too long, on Isla Mujeres, I needed to change hotels. I met a couple whom I got talking to, and told them about my terrible hotel experience I was having there. They said too me, you gotta check out our hotel, we have been going there for the last 15 years, it is nothing fancy, but it is clean, comfortable, pleasant, friendly, and inexpensive. I thought great, sounds what I am looking for. I went and checked it out, and booked myself in.
I had a single room, dbl bed, the room was small, but it was clean and comfortable, and really, it was even more than what I was looking for. It had a new fridge, TV, A/C, as well as a fan overhead of the bed, toilet, shower,(with lots of hot water), and sink. It was bright and airy, I could open the windows, and it felt very safe. The staff are great, a friendly family affair. I met other people that had been coming back to this hotel for years, who had watched the children there, grow up.
Really inexpensive, I paid M$350 a night. If I was going to go back to Isla Mujeres, this is were I would stay, and I highly recommend it to anyone else. It is close to everything, but then everything is close on Isla Mujeres.
If you are looking for it, the address is: Guerrero No.14 Isla Mujeres