“No Ribs...Bummer”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
The Soggy Peso Bed & Cocktail
Ranked #14 of 36 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Monroe, WA
“No Ribs...Bummer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Apparently they were closing down for a month and it was their last day, so they ran out of ribs before we got there. Since it's what they are known for that was a real bummer to us. We had margaritas instead. My friend loved them and said it was the best margarita she's ever had. I thought they were kind of strong, but then again I don't drink much.

The owner was a very nice guy and I'd try them again if I ever make it back to Isla Mujeres because now I'm very curious about the ribs.

By the way, they are definitely quite a ways from the main part of Isla, so you'll want to take a taxi or rent a golf cart. Only walk if you want to be out for a long time.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlaskaGirlAtHeart

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

We are not "all-inclusive" resort type people so we were looking for someplace to go in Mexico that had a unique vibe. Soggy Peso was perfect! Like the other reviews have mentioned, it is only 3 rooms and they are practically in a bar. We found it pretty fun but it's not for everyone.

The rooms were bigger and nicer than I expected. They also provide you with 2 liters of drinking water per day and lots of fresh fruit. That was as unexpected addition.

It's about 10 minute walk to where all the action is downtown. We only rented a golf cart on the last day in order to explore the other side of the island, otherwise, we could easily walk anywhere else we wanted to go!

We are in our early 30s & were on "spring break" from graduate school. Sally & Mal told us we weren't not their "typical" visitors since they mainly attract a middle-aged crowd. That said, we still had a fabulous time, so I definitely recommend it for everyone!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth K
Pensacola Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

When I was looking for a place to stay in Isla Mujeres I came across the Soggy Peso on trip advisor. I liked the descriptions from other guests like "laid back", "perfect" and "fun". The more I researched the more I decided that this is the place for us. And boy was I right! From the moment we arrived we felt at home. Mal and Sally and the rest of the staff were the best I have experienced. Our room had everything we needed. It was cleaned everyday and the bed was very comfortable. We ate several meals there including the famous Sunday BBQ which all were really good. Mal gave us several recommendations for things to do on the island and they were all excellent but our favorite thing to do was hang out with our new "friends" at the Soggy Peso".

We are already planning our next trip and we will definately be at the Soggy Peso. Thank you Mal, Sally, Freddy, Jay-Jay, Gustavo, Daniele, and Chewey, Oh and I can't forget "soggy doggy" who had morning coffee with me every day. You guys are all great!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovetotravel060308
Richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

I've heard about The Soggy Peso from a friend. It was everything she said it was and more.
The room was so comfortable and beautiful. Mal and Sally made me feel right at home.
I can't wait to return with my husband and stay for the Sunday Baby Back Ribs!
Thank you for making a stranger feel like one of you family.

Vicki Lewicki

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

My wife and I spent six nights at Soggy Peso beginning on May 1. On a previous trip, we had frequented the bar, so we knew what to expect and it did not disappoint. Sally and Mal are great hosts. They are as hands on or hands off as you want. The room is very comfortable with a king bed, well decorated, has good a/c, and comes with a mini-frig. There is also complimentary Wi-Fi that works well. Just outside your door is a pool and the palapa bar is about 15 yards from your door. Don't worry about the noise, because the bar closes around 8:30pm each night so that it does not disturb the guests. The bar serves excellent food with a special every day such as shrimp tacos, wings, or cheeseburgers. However, you cannot miss the Sunday BBQ and Mal's baby-back ribs; fall off the bone good. Freddie and Yo-Yo are great guys and provide top notch service at the bar and make sure everyone is having a fun time. You'll encounter some interesting conversations with all the patrons coming and going. The Soggy Peso is located close to the marina, right on the water, so you see some boats passing by and also a great sunset. It is only about a 15 minute walk into town or a 30 peso cab ride. There is an adults only (at least 21) policy which suited us just fine. We definitely plan on a return trip to the Soggy Peso soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gevincent
Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

The Soggy Peso was good place to get a "Cheeseburger in Paradise and a Cold Draft Beer"

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Charles, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

My wife and I along with two other couples stayed this past week at the Soggy Peso and couldn't have had a better time! If you're looking for a big resort with all the typical tourist trap pitfalls then Soggy Peso isn't for you. However, if you are looking for a great place to kick back, relax, have wonderful gracious hosts with a top notch bar and staff, then head to the Soggy Peso. No need to spend a fortune to have a great time. The rooms are very nice, clean and Mal and Sally along with Freddy and the bar staff go out of their way to make your stay carefree. They love to sit around the bar and share their stories about life on the island and what it means to be on "island time". The Sunday ribfest is wonderful and everything is prepared from scratch, with generous portions of tender ribs. Get there early, enjoy a cocktail or two while the staff prepares your meal and get ready to be entertained! Our only regret is that we had to come home!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple