“Visit the US in Mexico”

The Soggy Peso Bed & Cocktail
Ranked #16 of 40 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This place looked to be a lot of fun based on reviews. So four of us went to have drinks and just to hang out. It was like visiting a sports bar/ Margaritaville type place. All US visitors or people who just left behind their lives in the states and moved to the island. Maybe it was just not the place to go after a week of indulging in the amazing culture of the island and the Yucatan. I found that it reminded me of a lot of things that are very arrogant and disheartening about my own culture. To say the least, it didn't make me homesick, rather it made me want to run away from that bar! We didn't eat, just had drinks. Went with a group of 4 and after spending way more than we should have on drinks and dealing with rude people who just wanted us to rent their properties from them, we left and went back to the northern part of the island.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AmbrosiaB1980

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stopped in the Soggy Peso only because of reviews on Tripadvisor. To get there you have to walk down a little alley next to a small hotel. Behind the hotel is the little beach side bar which not much more than a hut surrounded by plastic tables. The place is American ex pat owned and its clientele are mostly American locals hanging out for the cheap but really cold beer. There are daily food specials. On Sundays the place is packed. Sundays is ribs and the owner begins smoking and grilling them a full 24 hrs before. For about $17 US you get an enormous full rack platter with chorizo sausage, refried beans, assorted vegs and cornbread. The meat literally fell off the bone. It's was awesome. Next time back to Isla Sundays at the Soggy Peso is a must.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank galomax
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Very simply you MUST go to the Soggy Peso for Sunday BBQ. No question. Go early, we arrived at 4 o'clock and the place was packed. Luckily some friends had arrived earlier and saved us a couple of chairs. They can also run out of the ribs, which are their speciality. As I do not eat red meat we ordered a plate that had chicken and ribs. Delicious chicken, corn bread, potato salad, corn salad, yummy. They smoke everything overnight so it has an amazing deep flavor. We did not stay at the hotel but our friend's parents are, very nice. The service was great, he asked our names and used them each time he came to the table. Couldn't have felt more welcome. We enjoyed the food so much we are going back for the lobster tacos today!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine1131571
Reviewed 11 December 2012

...but I'm so glad we did. The ribs at Soggy Peso are amazing. We arrived on the island Friday and ribs are served on Sunday. Soggy Peso was recommended to us at least a dozen times within the first two days on the island.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

One of my favorite places on the planet! This was my first trip to the island and was so glad we stayed here instead of a large resort! Very comfortable room and bed! Enjoyed meeting all the local people that also enjoy this place! Freddie and JoJo make the best margaritas that I have ever had and don't miss out on the ceviche. This is a one of a kind place that you will tell all your friends about. The sunset at the Soggy Peso pier is one my of favorite photos and memories.
Take a hat, sign it and hang it up at the bar.... I will look for it next time I am there because
I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gwyn S
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Be sure to grab a seat at the bar and plan on staying for a while talking to new friends!!! Such a fun place, we will be back. Not a meat eater but my husband and friend swear the best baby back ribs EVER worldwide are located here on Sundays. Do NOT miss the Soggy Peso while visiting Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Went here twice as first time was really good. Had the ribs on Sunday (amazing) and Fajitas on Tuesday (good). Menu is essentially a daily special so not much selection.

I usually don't go for non local food when travelling but this place is a definite must for travellers. Great bar, people, and food.

I will say this, they had the best Micheladas on my trip.

I only ate here, I did not stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends