“Whale Shark wonder” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ceviche Tours

Ceviche Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Swimming with Whale Sharks, Swimming with Sailfish, Sport Fishing and Bottom fishing charters and Snorkeling tours. 20 min ferry ride from Cancun, serving the Riveria Maya, Playa de Carmin and Cancun.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Whale Shark wonder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was our second trip out to see the whale sharks and it was amazing. The first time there was only one but this trip we saw approx thirty, they were everywhere. What an experience to be in the water with these enormous beautiful creatures, so docile and calm ( the whale sharks that is- not so much us!) the captain and Fred were were so well organised and everything ran so smoothly.
We enjoyed it so much and the way it was ran that we booked a fishing trip also. Again, everything was smoothly run,. We would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a boat trip out to use Captain Cuko and Ceviche tours.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Shellems

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The day after we arrived in Isla Mujeres, we woke up early and headed to our favorite restaurant, Bally Hoos, and boarded the Ceviche Tour boat to go snorkeling with the whale sharks!! The staff was absolutely amazing!! Full of info and so friendly... To say the least!! They helped us snorkel in the right spots, showed us where to swim, and even made us ceviche while we played in the water!! They also provided drinks and sandwiches! This is a family owned business, which I love to hear!! Each and every person was extremely friendly! Great way to spend our day!! The only recommendation I have is to take Dramamine!! It can get a little rocky at times!!!

Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice day with nice folks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I booked a tour boat with Ceviche Tours to see the whalesharks in July 2014. Instead of paying 150$ each, I decided to charter the boat at 900$ so that we could snorkel longer with the sharks and have more decision on what to do and when to leave.

All communication were by email with John. Did the payment through their website.

We left at 8am with Jesus and his brother Fred (they own the company with their dad and sister). John and his wife were also with us to do some videos for future advertisement. The boat was fast and comfortable and we had a nice calm sunny day.

We were with the whalesharks before most of the other boats. We swam around 10 times with the sharks. We could have done more, but we were just too tired. The sharks get more agitated as more boats and people come in, and they swim faster and deeper then. So early start is a good thing.

Jesus, the captain, tried to find us a "private" whaleshark so we could be less cramped with swimmers from other boats and have less motor fumes as well. We didn't find any, but we saw mating turtles and a ray.

We decided to leave when we had enough. On our way back, instead of doing the usual snorkeling (as we dove around the world already...), the crew asked us if we wanted to do some surface sea fishing, no extra cost! We were trying to get some dorado, but caught 4 bonitos instead. Not great for eating, but fun to reel in anyway. We only did this for 30 min but it was a nice experience.

Ceviche left us in front of our hotel but not before preparing a nice red snapper ceviche. My wife had 3 bowls...

It was a great day with a professional organization. I would recommend Ceviche tours to anyone and the private tour to anyone who can afford it and wants to get the extra time and attention.

2 Thank Yoyobleu
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our family had an amazing adventure with this group. The customer service and responses in setting up the tour was responsive and timely. The Ceviche group was truly experienced they didn't try to bunch you up with the other boats they had a great method to get you right to the whale sharks as they swam your way. The number of people on the boat was just right and a fun group.

My family had a perfect day and the to top off swimming with the whale sharks they prepared fresh ceviche in the boat ( better than any we had to date in Mexico) with stop a stop on a beautiful beach.

Los Angeles, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“REVIEW + helpful tips for your day...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

REVIEW:
If you do nothing else on your trip, swim with the whale sharks.

Our experience was made so much better b/c we booked with Ceviche. Several reasons:

---We each went in THREE times! (((actually I got to go 4 times....b/c there was an odd number on the boat & the captain was strict with the rule of no more than 3 of us at once....which is a very good rule)))

---The captain had a guy who rented us short wet suits for the day for $10, which was a huge advantage to all those poor people on other tours who had to use life jackets. As you know, life jackets are very tough to swim in, and impossible to dive down in.

---The price of the tour was quite a bit lower than other tours ($125/ea as opposed to approx $170/ea) and I have to assume that's b/c our tour didn't include transportation from our hotel and didn't include beers)
....ummm.....hello! you do not need someone to get you to Isla Mujeres. The ferries are extremely easy to catch and after the tour was finished, we stayed on Isla until later that night anyway. Such a great spot - wish we'd actually stayed there a few nights instead of Cancun.
.....and trust me, you don't need alcohol to enjoy a day like the one we had. Just wait until you get off the boat and hit up any of the awesome spots on the island.

---One of the crew made us FRESH ceviche right there on the boat while we hung out in the beautiful Playa Norte waters. The ceviche was excellent and we both had second servings ;)

TIPS ON A GREAT DAY

1. Bring or rent the wet suit

2. Small children shouldn't do this kind of tour. The whole swimming with the shark thing is something you really need to be able to focus on solely to enjoy the day. There were 2 little girls on our trip (one was about 5yrs, the other was about 10yrs) The mom realized pretty quickly that this wasn't something the little one was gonna be able to do. She stayed on the boat with the little one while her 10 yr old went out with me on 3 of my turns. She was TOTALLY fine and kept up as well as any adult. But, I'd say she was close to the cut off age of what would be safe.

3. For the love of god, use ECO Friendly sunscreen. I'm shocked the stores sell anything else.... Yes. Your actions make a difference.

4. If you have your own snorkel gear, bring it. This is a very fast paced activity, you don't want to be fighting with a new type of mouth-piece. The snorkels provided were totally fine, but it's so nice to just have your own that you're used to when your brain really needs to be 100000% focused on the massive creature you're swimming with.

5. SAFETY: Honestly, the shark isn't the thing you need to be cautious about. it's the other people swimming along with you. I personally had 2 times out that felt as if I was the ONLY person in the water with the whale shark. AMAZING!! Just him and me swimming along for 5-7 minutes before he decided to descend into the depths below.

BUT, my other 2 times out were definitely crowded with other people. There's just no other way around it. These creatures aren't rides at Disneyland....they're wild animals that decide when they will and won't come up to the surface. So, sometimes several boats spot the same shark and you're in the water with people from other tours. This is really where Ceviche shines. They would swing around the crowd and drop us off in the trajectory where the shark was headed and we'd end up at the front of the pack :) But, if you have to adjust your snorkel for even a second, you could end up like I did, in a crowd of other swimmers. If you're not a confident swimmer, I could see how this would cause some anxiety & fear. People kicking HARD with their feet, arms, & legs right next to your head. People get so crazy trying to get closer to the shark they try to plow you over!! One lady on our boat got ran over by someone else and she had to grab the persons leg and pull them back (((deserved retribution....))). I had a guy who kept shoving me out of the way so he could film with his crappy little camera, so after a couple minutes of this rudeness, I was forced to grab him by the wet suit and yank him out of the way. Trust me. It was deserved. If I'd just been a bit more comfortable with my snorkel, I would have never been in the thick of the crowd to begin with. Don't let any of this dissuade you from this activity though....it was the highlight of our trip.

5. We had a super calm day, but often it's really choppy, so take some Dramamine with you just in case u get motion sickness. If you feel it coming on take the pill immediately.... we had 1 person get sick & that was on a calm day.

6. After the tour is over, head to Mininos for food. It's extremely informal, laid back, gorgeous surroundings (tables are on the beach), and the food can't be beat for freshness and expert preparation. We thought we ordered too much but then scarfed every bit down b/c it was all too amazing.....

7. The ferries back to the mainland can be a tad confusing since there are different ports they go to and different times for those ports. If you bring dry, clean clothes in a sealed plastic bag, you can stick around on Isla for a relaxing walk - there are a couple streets lined with the cutest bars & restaurants you've ever seen. We caught the late ferry back to Cancun lands you at Puerto Juarez, and we weren't that familiar with the bus system yet, so we took a taxi back for about 200 pesos, i think.

6 Thank branrackley