“Not 'eco' in the slightest”

Aqua Adventures Eco Divers
Ranked #5 of 48 Tours in Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Owner description: Come Dive With Us! Swim with the Whale Sharks mid May thru Sept! Explore MUSA, the underwater museum. Enjoy the crystal blue waters of Isla Mujeres and Cancun. We are a family owned dive center offering daily tours for certified and uncertified divers, and PADI courses through divemaster. Our goal is to provide you, your friends and family with safe fun aquatic adventures and education! Now you can train/dive with our Ocean Reef Full Face Masks! English speaking staff, Dive, train, whale shark tours, snorkeling, inspected tanks, oxygen on the boats!! Book your adventure today! PADI resort #19146 since 2004.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My instructor Jaim hardly spoke to me before I had to jump into the sea off a boat on my first ever open water dive. Other than that he was as ok instructor but I would have appreciated a little more assistance as it is pretty scary. On the second day the other people on the dive with us were hunting! As life long vegetarians and having chosen this dive shop out of a very large selection for its stated 'eco' ethos we were shocked and disgusted at the bag of fish and sea creatures they bought back to the boat. Not to mention trying to spear lion fish next to us and when they did catch one (actually my instructor went off and speared it) they let it escape and there was an angry poisonous fish is our vicinity. At least I passed my PADI and didn't have to go back again.

3  Thank BellaBobs44
DiveIslaMujeres, Owner at Aqua Adventures Eco Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We respect your beliefs as a vegetarian.

Let's talk for a moment about the meaning of Eco.

Eco is a broad brush term. If we could run our dive business without burning fossil fuels, we would. I'm sure if you could have come to Isla without issuing jet engine exhaust into the atmosphere, you would have. Throughout the US, invasive non-native plant and animal species are eradicated regularly in the name of restoring native eco systems. Limited hunting permits are issued in places where even native species populations are out of balance. And so it is with the lion fish throughout the Caribbean. To protect native species, we attempt to control the population of this non native species. We participated in the island's first lionfish tournament during which much data was accumulated about the population density of this pest. 500 Kg were harvested over the two days, many were eaten.

Jaim gets great reviews for his training ability. He recently completed certification of 2 10 year olds. Other divers on the boat have a different impression of his briefings that day.

You are correct in that Jaim should not have been involved in spearing lionfish while leading your training dive. That was wrong and he has been counseled for this breach.
As for the lionfish being angry....my experience with eradication is that they go into survival mode and hide under ledges if there is a near miss. You were never in danger and hopefully have survived the trauma.

We do take divers on hunting dives. We do not expose divers who object to this activity to this activity. On this day, it occurred without my knowledge, had I known, I would not have allowed it. Our guests, us, and our employees are not vegetarians. Our employees come from generations of families who have earned their living from the sea. What we bring back, is eaten, not wasted.

We are proud of our respect for the sea, regularly recover trash from the reefs, and remain
AQUA ADVENTURES ECO DIVERS

in 9 reviews
"these guys"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I am so glad so see the shop flourishing under new owners, Jim and Daisy! The new shop location may be a bit small, but it is in a great location and very close to where they dock their boat. Jim and Daisy are very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. The other staff, including Wilbert, are amazing as usual.
On my latest trip to Isla Mujeres, my boyfriend and I signed up for 2 days of diving (2 2-tank dives). Our first dive was to Manchones 1 and Manchones 2. We also had 3 snorkelers on our trip, and those reefs are best for them as they are very shallow. Wilbert led on us a very long and relaxed dive, effortlessly finding the best creatures for us to look at. It was a perfect afternoon. I opted for beach time instead of going on our second day's dive; however, my boyfriend went with Wilbert and crew that day and had an amazing dive. They visited canoneros and Punta Sur (my favorite). He saw many large turtles (caguamas!) and even a spotted eagle ray! Next time I won't skip out!
There are many diving options on the island, but I think Aqua Adventures is the best one! Convenient location (both shop and boat located in downtown), attentive dive staff (including a PADI dive instructor and amazing dive master Wilbert), friendly owners, newly refurbished boat, and reliable dive gear!

1  Thank DivingAg07
Reviewed 18 May 2014

6 of us bought a 'deal' for 6 dives. It is a great deal. A couple of us bought a night dive and additional day (two tank). Jaym, Wilbur, and crew took excellent care of us - equipment, as well as on/off boat. If Wilbur leads a dive, stick around him - he finds cool stuff.
We appreciated the night dive even though there were only 4 of us. One of the best night dives I've ever had. (since there was only 4 of us :) ) We saw just about everything you could think of except sharks. Turtles, lobster, and eels were everywhere. Squid, barracuda... even 'strings of pearls'.
This shop will do you right.

1  Thank tgroebner
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Jaim is an instructor here. He was so professional and patient whilst we did our open water course. Thanks for the experience of a lifetime mate. We will never forget our experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After taking "Discover Scuba" at 3 different resorts and completing 6 dives, I decided to finally get my PADI "Open Water" certification. I chose Aqua Adventures and couldn't be happier! The owners, Jim and Daisy, are the friendliest couple you'd like to meet and my instructor, Arturo, could not have been better. I did my e-learning before I arrived and when I got there we hit the ground running. Confined skills and on to the open water. Arturo was attentive and instructive every step of the way. After I finished my class, my wife (who was already certified) joined us for a couple dives. The reefs around Isla are beautiful and the dive masters, Arturo and Wilbert know the areas to go. We saw turtles, a shark, an eagle ray, countless lobster, crab and breath taking coral and structure. The best location was Granpin, if you're comfortable at 50-60 feet with a little current, have them take you there. You won't be disappointed.

All in all, I can't say enough about the experience. Jim, Daisy, Arturo and Wilbert are top notch through and through. Worth a day trip from Cancun even if you're not staying on Isla.

What are you waiting for? Go book your trip now!!!

1  Thank Abcman27