“Worst hotel experience ever. Ruined my Bday” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Xbulu-Ha
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst hotel experience ever. Ruined my Bday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible service. Rooms flood. Musky smell. Clogged shower drains. Still under construction. Unfriendly receptionist. Greedy maids. Wifi hardly works. Prejudice owner who demands to be spoken to in Spanish.

I came here for my birthday. I had reasonable expectations for this hotel since it is only a two star hotel, but the rooms and service were far below. At arrival the receptionist was very cold and unfriendly and hardly spoke at all, despite me speaking to him in Spanish. That's fine, I understand not everyone is comfortable being friendly to strangers.

We were shown to our room which looked okay at first other than being on the third floor which was still under construction, and having a musky smell. A few hours after we arrived it began to rain, and our room started to flood. We put our towels in front of the door and it kept most of the water at bay.

When I went to shower the drain in the shower was completely plugged and the shower floor filled with dirty water. The toilette seats are also much too small for the toilette so you have to partially sit on the toilette bowl. Yuck!

On our second day we returned to the room at 5pm to find the water had soaked through the towels we had laid down and gotten our bags and passports soaked. Upon entering my friend slipped on the slippery tiles and landed badly on his back. I immediately went to reception and let the woman there know that the room was uninhabitable due to the flooding and the gross stagnant water in the shower. No apology. She said she was aware of these issues, and that they'd tried to stop the water from coming in the door but so far nothing had worked. I was pretty surprised that they would rent a room that was known to flood during the rainy season.

She offered us a different room downstairs, so we decided to move rooms but asked if it was okay to wait until the rain stopped to move the luggage so that it wouldn't get more wet. She told me this was fine. I showered in the new room and napped while my friends waited with our luggage in the old room until about 7:30pm before realizing the rain was not going to let up and moving to the new room, we sat there for about an hour before remembering to return the old key . The next evening I got an email saying I would be charged $25 for the extra room because we had occupied 2 rooms for 10 hours (not true at all!).

I immediately went to front desk, confused as to why I was being charged for a room that should never have been rented to us in the first place. It would appear that the maid who was working as the receptionist when I had discovered the flooding had lied and told the owner we were in the old room for much longer. ( I think this may have something to do with her not being satisfied with the $2-3 tip we were leaving daily, because her tip cup suggested $10-30 USD which I think is a bit much to tip a maid daily, and a bit greedy and rude to blatantly ask for) I tried disputing this with the owner saying that we had never been warned that we had a certain amount of time to get out of the room and that we would be charged extra otherwise. He refused to listen to me and told me we were being charged for the use if air conditioning and light. Since I was napping in the new room I was using none of these so only one room was using power and that room was not something that would be able to be rented out to new guests without being repaired. I was speaking to him in English even though I am fluent in Spanish so that my friend could understand the conversation. He got very angry and said that I shouldn't be in Mexico if I don't speak Spanish. I them switched to Spanish and realized that he was trying to take advantage of us and rip us off because he saw us as gringos that he could milk for as much as possible. He told us if we did not pay he would call the police. I went back to the room to fill my friends in and was told that the police were already there and that we would have to pay a full night at $60.

This should never have happened. Most hotels would offer you some sort of apology for the inconvenience of giving you a room that was known to flood. The staff here were unable to communicate that we had a certain amount of time to leave the room, even though they said we could wait until the rain stopped, then lied and said that we occupied two rooms for 10 hours which was far from true. There are much better places on this island. Don't waste your time or money here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Alma J
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
I can only say that this guest refused to pay for a service that used. However it is not fair that this person writes the same commet twice.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Grayslake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The great reviews are true, Xbulu Ha really is wonderful and a good value.

Pros:
Very clean
Large, new bar type fridge
Very comfy bed
Friendly staff
Great location - within 10 minute walk of everything - beach, restaurants, ferry, square, ATMs
Great water pressure and plenty of hot water
Shared balcony space with table & chairs
Quiet a/c and quiet location
Complimentary beach chairs and towels
Strong, fast wifi
Plenty of Spanish channels if you want futbol, telenovelas, cartoons, old movies. I loved it.

Cons:
This didn't bother me but it may bother some. The linens are clean but they don't use bleach which is better for all is us but this means sometimes the towels aren't perfectly snow white. Everything is clean though.

I loved my room (#1) with a sliver of a caribbean view. It was bright during the day but dark at night. It was the perfect size for a solo trip. Juan Carlos took great care of me. He and his family are so sweet. It is a very quiet street overnight. I don't think there is any traffic between midnight and 6:30 am. The junior suites have great kitchenettes too. I would love to stay here again. Juan Carlos and Gabriel speak great English.

Room Tip: #1 & 1D look over Guererro to the caribbean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jetskigirl
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
All the linens and towels are washed with bleach, but the wash machine has a container for the bleach that can not be exceeded.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The Xbula-Ha is located on the quiet Ave. Guerrero, one block from Hidlago street that is full of restaurants and bars, 5/10 walk from Playa Norte and on the same street, 2 blocks from the public market which has four great open air restaurants for breakfast and dinner and two blocks from the main square and super express supermarket.

We stayed for 14 nights, myself, wife and 5 year old son. We chose the 'suite', 1D, which is street facing (no noise disturbance at all), and has a large king size bed, fridge/freezer, microwave and breakfast bar, small toilet/shower, cable TV, safe and a large sliding window over looking the street and a view of the Carribean.

All rooms have chairs and tables outside and ours, being at the front, had a small balcony where you can eat and drink and people watch.

The rooms and property are spotlessly clean and the Mexican family that run the hotel are friendly and accommodating.

Next door is a great little rotisserie chicken shop where you can get a whole, nicely spiced chicken, rice, beans, salsa and tortillas for 130 pesos.

They also have sun beds which they allow you to take to the beach for free.

all in all a nice little place, quiet, close to everything you want or need and good value at $70US a night.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mark G
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed four nights at Xbulu-Ha in Isla Mujeres in a room with "kitchenette" because they didn't have any normal rooms available when we arrived and ended up staying there. The hotel is clean and simple, the location is very convenient, being one block from the main street and a five minutes walk from the beach. They lend the guests folding beach chairs and beach towels which are perfect for a day at the beach under the shade of a palm tree. The staff were friendly.

The kitchenette is very basic with only a fridge, toaster and microwave oven, so you can't actually cook there but it's convenient if you're staying a few nights and you want to save money by having breakfast at you hotel (we bought fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, bread and cereal at the local supermarket and the hotel offers free coffee).

The only downside to Xbulu-Ha was that the sheets and towels were pretty ragged and didn't seem perfectly fresh and clean, even after we changed our towels (maybe they don't use a lot of detergent??).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Claire B
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed for a week in March. I find it easier to review things in bullet point fashion, so here goes.

Pros:
- Very clean. Room was plain but immaculate.
- Location is fantastic. I felt very safe coming and going, even at night. Either end of Playa Norte is within 10 minutes walking. I enjoyed choosing where I wanted to be on the beach instead of being stuck in one spot. IMO, there really is no need to spend more to stay directly on the beach since almost all of it is accessible. All of the shops and restaurants are one block away.
- Location is also quiet. Was easy to get a good night's sleep.
- Wifi worked very well.
- The managers care about their guests' experience there.
- The price. Seriously, you wil be hard pressed to find something comparable (I stayed in a standard room) in that price range. Nothing fancy but you don't need that on Isla.

Cons:
- The only one I have is rather unfortunate. I brought a small Keen shoulder bag as my plane carry-on, nothing fancy or expensive. I didn't use it after arriving in the hotel, just emptied it out and left it on a shelf. When I packed at the end of the week it was gone. Most likely one of the cleaning staff who took it. I reported to the managers and they were genuinely concerned.

So with that said, it really is a good hotel. My suggestion would be to lock your suitcase when not in the room as a precaution.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank freedomgirl55
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
I remember that we were looking for your bag one day before your check out.
I know what you feel about issue. For that reason, one of the cleaning staff is not longer working in the hotel.

For the me the most important is that the guests are secure and comfortable.
Eureka, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

great hotel , clean room, tv , refrigerator, use of kitchen....I stayed for 17 nights it was wonderful..close to beach and shopping , super market near by...would stay again..Gabriel was helpful ith reservations.......

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank morenie
NW Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great price, nice location. Very quiet. Our room was small but clean. It could have been a bit cleaner in my opinion but I clean beach homes for a living so I seen the dust bunnies under the bed and the shower walls weren't washed during our stay but everything else was good. The air worked fine. Wifi wasn't on most of the time in the afternoons when we would come back to shower or change. It was on in the evenings though. There was just a little bit of hot water. For the price and location we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rms102
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thanks for your comments. We put more attentaiion in the details you mentioned.