“Perfect place for a low key stay”
Review of Hotel Xbulu-Ha

Hotel Xbulu-Ha
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Very clean, friendly and safe place to stay. Offered all we needed for our visit. Would consider staying here again next year! There is construction going on which was a little noisy during the day and the WIFI was a little spotty...but we didn't go to the island to hang out in our room...so it was perfectly fine! Also, Gabriel did tell us to let him know if the construction noise got to be to much.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor which was nice because we had a nice sunny outdoor space
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melanie W

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed at Xbulu-Ha many times and each time is better than the last! Gabriel is always trying to make improvements. The staff is wonderful. Juan Carlos looks out for the guests and Angelica is super helpful and does a great job on the rooms. The location is great - 6-7 minute walk to North Beach, one block off Hidalgo with all the restaurants and bars. Beach towels and Beach chairs are provided - what a great perk! Rooms are nicely equipped with microwaves, flat screen TVs, blow dryers and mini fridges, super cold A/C and hot water with plenty of water pressure (suites have full size fridge, leather recliners and king size beds). Free WiFi is also a plus.I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Each time I visit, I'm greeted like family. Safe, clean, friendly and a great value!

Room Tip: I like room 1 and 1D overlooking Guerrero and also the new rooftop rooms. The suite on the ground fl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank TravelinwithTracey
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

and I have new projects to improve the hotel service and give the guest more and better facilities.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Xbulu-Ha last April and had a great stay at this budget hotel.
The staff were great and the few small issues we had with room were dealt with quickly and efficiently.
We are looking forward to our return to Hotel Xbulu-Ha next March.
John & Nina

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ninabarbara
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I was shocked to find such terrible conditions and customer service after reading the reviews. Staff are very rude and unhelpful, rooms are very noisy and smell bad. The hotel is undergoing construction. The towels and sheets are full of stains and holes. Wifi is very unreliable. Even for a two star hotel this is very bad. There are much better hotels on the island.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Reallygreatusername
hotelxbuluha, Gerente at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I know you and your other friends are very angry with the hotel and with my staff, becuase you did not want to pay for a room you used.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible service. Rooms flood. Musky smell. Clogged shower drains. Still under construction. Unfriendly receptionist. Greedy maids. Wifi hardly works. Prejudice owner who demands to be spoken to in Spanish.

I came here for my birthday. I had reasonable expectations for this hotel since it is only a two star hotel, but the rooms and service were far below. At arrival the receptionist was very cold and unfriendly and hardly spoke at all, despite me speaking to him in Spanish. That's fine, I understand not everyone is comfortable being friendly to strangers.

We were shown to our room which looked okay at first other than being on the third floor which was still under construction, and having a musky smell. A few hours after we arrived it began to rain, and our room started to flood. We put our towels in front of the door and it kept most of the water at bay.

When I went to shower the drain in the shower was completely plugged and the shower floor filled with dirty water. The toilette seats are also much too small for the toilette so you have to partially sit on the toilette bowl. Yuck!

On our second day we returned to the room at 5pm to find the water had soaked through the towels we had laid down and gotten our bags and passports soaked. Upon entering my friend slipped on the slippery tiles and landed badly on his back. I immediately went to reception and let the woman there know that the room was uninhabitable due to the flooding and the gross stagnant water in the shower. No apology. She said she was aware of these issues, and that they'd tried to stop the water from coming in the door but so far nothing had worked. I was pretty surprised that they would rent a room that was known to flood during the rainy season.

She offered us a different room downstairs, so we decided to move rooms but asked if it was okay to wait until the rain stopped to move the luggage so that it wouldn't get more wet. She told me this was fine. I showered in the new room and napped while my friends waited with our luggage in the old room until about 7:30pm before realizing the rain was not going to let up and moving to the new room, we sat there for about an hour before remembering to return the old key . The next evening I got an email saying I would be charged $25 for the extra room because we had occupied 2 rooms for 10 hours (not true at all!).

I immediately went to front desk, confused as to why I was being charged for a room that should never have been rented to us in the first place. It would appear that the maid who was working as the receptionist when I had discovered the flooding had lied and told the owner we were in the old room for much longer. ( I think this may have something to do with her not being satisfied with the $2-3 tip we were leaving daily, because her tip cup suggested $10-30 USD which I think is a bit much to tip a maid daily, and a bit greedy and rude to blatantly ask for) I tried disputing this with the owner saying that we had never been warned that we had a certain amount of time to get out of the room and that we would be charged extra otherwise. He refused to listen to me and told me we were being charged for the use if air conditioning and light. Since I was napping in the new room I was using none of these so only one room was using power and that room was not something that would be able to be rented out to new guests without being repaired. I was speaking to him in English even though I am fluent in Spanish so that my friend could understand the conversation. He got very angry and said that I shouldn't be in Mexico if I don't speak Spanish. I them switched to Spanish and realized that he was trying to take advantage of us and rip us off because he saw us as gringos that he could milk for as much as possible. He told us if we did not pay he would call the police. I went back to the room to fill my friends in and was told that the police were already there and that we would have to pay a full night at $60.

This should never have happened. Most hotels would offer you some sort of apology for the inconvenience of giving you a room that was known to flood. The staff here were unable to communicate that we had a certain amount of time to leave the room, even though they said we could wait until the rain stopped, then lied and said that we occupied two rooms for 10 hours which was far from true. There are much better places on this island. Don't waste your time or money here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Alma J
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I can only say that this guest refused to pay for a service that used. However it is not fair that this person writes the same commet twice.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The great reviews are true, Xbulu Ha really is wonderful and a good value.

Pros:
Very clean
Large, new bar type fridge
Very comfy bed
Friendly staff
Great location - within 10 minute walk of everything - beach, restaurants, ferry, square, ATMs
Great water pressure and plenty of hot water
Shared balcony space with table & chairs
Quiet a/c and quiet location
Complimentary beach chairs and towels
Strong, fast wifi
Plenty of Spanish channels if you want futbol, telenovelas, cartoons, old movies. I loved it.

Cons:
This didn't bother me but it may bother some. The linens are clean but they don't use bleach which is better for all is us but this means sometimes the towels aren't perfectly snow white. Everything is clean though.

I loved my room (#1) with a sliver of a caribbean view. It was bright during the day but dark at night. It was the perfect size for a solo trip. Juan Carlos took great care of me. He and his family are so sweet. It is a very quiet street overnight. I don't think there is any traffic between midnight and 6:30 am. The junior suites have great kitchenettes too. I would love to stay here again. Juan Carlos and Gabriel speak great English.

Room Tip: #1 & 1D look over Guererro to the caribbean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jetskigirl
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

All the linens and towels are washed with bleach, but the wash machine has a container for the bleach that can not be exceeded.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The Xbula-Ha is located on the quiet Ave. Guerrero, one block from Hidlago street that is full of restaurants and bars, 5/10 walk from Playa Norte and on the same street, 2 blocks from the public market which has four great open air restaurants for breakfast and dinner and two blocks from the main square and super express supermarket.

We stayed for 14 nights, myself, wife and 5 year old son. We chose the 'suite', 1D, which is street facing (no noise disturbance at all), and has a large king size bed, fridge/freezer, microwave and breakfast bar, small toilet/shower, cable TV, safe and a large sliding window over looking the street and a view of the Carribean.

All rooms have chairs and tables outside and ours, being at the front, had a small balcony where you can eat and drink and people watch.

The rooms and property are spotlessly clean and the Mexican family that run the hotel are friendly and accommodating.

Next door is a great little rotisserie chicken shop where you can get a whole, nicely spiced chicken, rice, beans, salsa and tortillas for 130 pesos.

They also have sun beds which they allow you to take to the beach for free.

all in all a nice little place, quiet, close to everything you want or need and good value at $70US a night.

Highly recommend.