“Great!”
Review of Hotel Xbulu-Ha

Hotel Xbulu-Ha
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I highly recommend Hotel Xbulu-Ha in every way. I spent a long time planning my trip to the Yucatan, and was very careful to screen the many options for hotels. I finally found Xbulu Ha in Moon travel guide, in which, ironically, the owner didn't even know he was mentioned!
I always read and highly value tripadvisor's reviews, and base my decisions in great part on how guests are treated. I have to say, no matter where I've stayed, the wonderful owner, (Sr. Gabriel Martinez), and cheerful, friendly staff, (Sr. Alfredo and Sra. Angelica), offered some of the best treatment I have ever gotten.
For example, when I accidently left my keys at the hotel on my way out, I learned, upon arriving in Cancun, that Sr. Alfredo had found them right after I had left, and had rushed to catch my boat, which had just left when he arrived at the dock. I didn't realize the keys were missing until late that night, when I called the hotel, desperate. I had to leave for home the next day in the early AM, so upon returning to the US, I got in touch with Sr. Gabriel, who immediately set to work and didn't rest until he was able to send my keys to me.
Another example of their great care: There were three of us occupying a room with a king-size bed, so the staff was kind enough to put an extra mattress on my single bed, which ordinarily would have been fine, had I not hurt my back the day before. They were concerned and insisted on going to the trouble, which I found very touching.

Also: The rooms were immaculate, complete with kitchenette, the location great: a block from the beach, very near a supermarket, inexpensive eateries, and the price, amazing, for the amenities. Do yourself a favor, and stay at Xbulu Ha, where you're treated like family!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank profesoraKelly

Reviewed 4 April 2010

The first morning I awoke on Isla Mujeres, I went onto the balcony at Xbulu Ha, and met other guests. "If you found this place on your first trip, you have done well." I agreed. This was my third trip to Isla Mujeres (1993 and 2004) and my first stay at this hotel. For those other guests that I met, many had stayed for years, and were rebooking for their next vacation, a year away.

I can understand why. Xbulu Ha has a blend of wonderful elements - friendly, helpful staff; room features such as satellite TV (where I could learn Spanish by watching the famous novellas), refrigerator (for that amazing fresh squeezed orange juice), and air conditioning; towels and chairs for the beach; and all at a great price.

As a solo traveller, I always felt safe and guided in the right direction. For example, when I was figuring out transportation to the island, Gabriel - the manager - sent an e-mail response with several choices. On my way back to Cancun airport, he again gave good advice, and I was much more confident in trying local transportation (at a fraction of the cost).

The other staff - Lupe and Alfredo - are treasures. Lupe cleaned my room daily, removing all that inevitable sand. Returning to my room after the cleaning was total amusement because she put order in my life - different every day! Lupe was a godsend for applying sunblock on my back (one of the challenges of travelling alone). Alfredo, the maintenance guy, who also has many talents, was always helpful. One day I was learning a new Spanish word - popote; a little while later, he arrived at my room with a straw in hand. "Popote," he said.

Several days after I arrived, all guests were invited to a guacamole lesson. With the help of Gabriel's wife and son (the cutest 2-year old), we got some good tips and then a feast. Fun!

Location, location. Xbulu Ha has that as well. From the balcony on the second floor (all rooms are on the second floor), there is a beautiful view of Mar Caribe, the captivating colours of the water changing every day. The hotel is on a street parallel to the action (Hidalgo), close to all the happenings, but quiet too.

Xbulu Ha - a definite jewel!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank mystictopaz2010
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Simple, immaculate, quiet, private, good location in town, extremely reasonable rates, and very well managed--Hotel Xbulu-Ha is quite the little gem on Isla. Gabriel Martinez Hamed is a helpful, attentive, and thoroughly professional proprietor/manager, and we were particularly impressed with the swiftness and efficiency of his communiques via email with both our inquiries and reservations. This is an unpretentious little place with clean and comfortable accommodations, and for the rates charged, I'm not sure there is a better value on the island. One forgoes the fussy accessories of luxury accommodations, but beach towels and folding beach chairs are provided, and you're on your way. This is a wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Excursive
Reviewed 15 January 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in the suite room with a full size fridge, kitchenette, breakfast bar, shower only, and TV w/ many channels. Water pressure was adequate but could have been stronger; coffee maker was available but bring your own filters and coffee beans. Bathroom didn't have shampoo or conditioner so bring your own as well. Internet is free but spotty on occasion. Breakfast downstairs was great but a bit on the pricey side despite the 10% discount for all guests of the hotel. Be sure to read the manual for the safe as it requires resetting of the codes by pressing the red buttons inside the safe; however, in case you lock yourself out just get Gabriel to reset the code for you.

The hotel is walkabe distance from the pier but if you get there late at night as we did, just get a taxi - we paid $3, which was probably two dollares or more than what we should have paid but we were tired and grumpy and didn't care.

Fantastic chicken place next door to the hotel that closes at 5pm. Several laundramats nearby and a bicycle rental shop. Supermarket is less than five minutes walk which has the best exchange rate in town so get your groceries in USD and get your change back in pesos.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelichigo
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I really don't want to let everyone know how great this place is, but they are so friendly and kind I think they deserve plenty of business. Everything about the place was just great. Lupe and Alfredo are very friendly and helpful, they understand English very well, but don't speak it very much. The rooms were kept very very clean and they must spray for insects because I never saw even one bug or ant the entire week we were there. The rooms have a small wall rack about 2' long for hanging clothes and there are a couple of drawers as well as two nightstands. So there is plenty of space for one person, but if two or more it might not have enough room to hang or put away everything. Might need some plastic hooks to hang wet things in the shower. We brought a 16" hanging rack that fit over the porthole window in the shower.

We were in room #1 which over looked the street and had a distance view of the ocean. It was about 12x17 and the bathroom was about 3.5x5. The ceiling was about 10' so it didn't seem too small. Bed was firm as are every mattress in Mexico, A/C was cold and ceiling fan worked great. Plenty of cable channels in English and Spanish. Great location, close to the action in town but quiet at night. Plenty of parking across the street for your moped or golf cart. Free morning coffee and wi-fi or use the internet cafe downstairs for 20 pesos/hour ($1.62 USD)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wesnoon
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We stayed at Hotel Xbulu-Ha for four nights at the end of March, 2009. We had a very good experience there. We were in one of the suites, 4D, at the back of the hotel. It was very quiet and the air conditioning worked well. My wife really liked having the little kitchenette area with a coffeemaker so we could drink our favorite coffee (brought from home) in the mornings. We would sit in the second floor balcony, enjoy the constant breeze blowing through, and watch the town wake up. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only negative was that the extra bed (cot) provided for our teenage daughter was rock hard like sleeping on a board. She complained so much after two nights I ended up on the cot....trouble in paradise.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GBBob
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Spent 13 glorious days in this hotel that has all rooms located on the second floor. A fabulous breakfast restaurant is downstairs. The hotel is very clean, a short walk to the best beaches and restaurants. The views from the front rooms are amazing. The rooms are either a double bed room with refrigerator, flat screen TV & A/C or an Apartment with one king bed and kitchenette, flat screen TV & A/C. Free WiFi and morning coffee are also included in the "best price" hotel on the island. Already rebooked 14 days for next year.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple