“Construction zone at present.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Xbulu-Ha
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Bayfield, Colorado
“Construction zone at present.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Very nice except the hammering. I signed up for nine days and the hammering hasn't stopped yet. I think the workers here are going at siesta speed and are really into job security because it takes them all day to make a hole in the wall. They start chipping away with chisles and hammer at 9am(it was 7:30). The owners son asked if the noise was bothering me so I told him it would be nice if it didn't start until 10am. He said it wouldn't start until 11am from now on. Yea right- 9am until 5:30pm daily, and it never stops. You are NOT going to take a nap here on your vacation. Other than that it is a nice place with friendly staff and clean. Maybe one day it will be better when they slow down on the hammering.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CECPeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed from Aug.25-Sept.6 and had another wonderful stay. It still has all the great things from the previous stay such as: Friendly Helpful staff, Very Clean rooms, Wi-Fi, Great Location to Beach and Downtown, Great value, Safe in room, Dozens of cable tv channels in English & Spanish, Mini-Frig, Hair Dryer, Quiet. Close to Grocery & Liquor Store, Cafes couple doors down. Parking lot across from hotel. They also added complimentary coffee in the morning, Beach Chairs, and huge beach towels! Don't forget to ask about the discount for guest at one of the local restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wesnoon
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

Wonderful and attentive staff, very clean and perfect location. We stayed for 2 weeks in August. The location is a 5 minute walk to my favorite part of Playa Norte' and just around the corner from some of my fave restaurants. (Qubano, Faynes, La Cazuela M & J ) .
If you are looking for a Club Med type of hotel, this is not it. But if you are looking for cool and basic housing for your stay, definately try Hotel Xbulu.

We will definately be back. The rooms are the best available for the pricepoint on Isla.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mph122170
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

I highly recommend Hotel Xbulu-Ha in every way. I spent a long time planning my trip to the Yucatan, and was very careful to screen the many options for hotels. I finally found Xbulu Ha in Moon travel guide, in which, ironically, the owner didn't even know he was mentioned!
I always read and highly value tripadvisor's reviews, and base my decisions in great part on how guests are treated. I have to say, no matter where I've stayed, the wonderful owner, (Sr. Gabriel Martinez), and cheerful, friendly staff, (Sr. Alfredo and Sra. Angelica), offered some of the best treatment I have ever gotten.
For example, when I accidently left my keys at the hotel on my way out, I learned, upon arriving in Cancun, that Sr. Alfredo had found them right after I had left, and had rushed to catch my boat, which had just left when he arrived at the dock. I didn't realize the keys were missing until late that night, when I called the hotel, desperate. I had to leave for home the next day in the early AM, so upon returning to the US, I got in touch with Sr. Gabriel, who immediately set to work and didn't rest until he was able to send my keys to me.
Another example of their great care: There were three of us occupying a room with a king-size bed, so the staff was kind enough to put an extra mattress on my single bed, which ordinarily would have been fine, had I not hurt my back the day before. They were concerned and insisted on going to the trouble, which I found very touching.

Also: The rooms were immaculate, complete with kitchenette, the location great: a block from the beach, very near a supermarket, inexpensive eateries, and the price, amazing, for the amenities. Do yourself a favor, and stay at Xbulu Ha, where you're treated like family!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank profesoraKelly
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

The first morning I awoke on Isla Mujeres, I went onto the balcony at Xbulu Ha, and met other guests. "If you found this place on your first trip, you have done well." I agreed. This was my third trip to Isla Mujeres (1993 and 2004) and my first stay at this hotel. For those other guests that I met, many had stayed for years, and were rebooking for their next vacation, a year away.

I can understand why. Xbulu Ha has a blend of wonderful elements - friendly, helpful staff; room features such as satellite TV (where I could learn Spanish by watching the famous novellas), refrigerator (for that amazing fresh squeezed orange juice), and air conditioning; towels and chairs for the beach; and all at a great price.

As a solo traveller, I always felt safe and guided in the right direction. For example, when I was figuring out transportation to the island, Gabriel - the manager - sent an e-mail response with several choices. On my way back to Cancun airport, he again gave good advice, and I was much more confident in trying local transportation (at a fraction of the cost).

The other staff - Lupe and Alfredo - are treasures. Lupe cleaned my room daily, removing all that inevitable sand. Returning to my room after the cleaning was total amusement because she put order in my life - different every day! Lupe was a godsend for applying sunblock on my back (one of the challenges of travelling alone). Alfredo, the maintenance guy, who also has many talents, was always helpful. One day I was learning a new Spanish word - popote; a little while later, he arrived at my room with a straw in hand. "Popote," he said.

Several days after I arrived, all guests were invited to a guacamole lesson. With the help of Gabriel's wife and son (the cutest 2-year old), we got some good tips and then a feast. Fun!

Location, location. Xbulu Ha has that as well. From the balcony on the second floor (all rooms are on the second floor), there is a beautiful view of Mar Caribe, the captivating colours of the water changing every day. The hotel is on a street parallel to the action (Hidalgo), close to all the happenings, but quiet too.

Xbulu Ha - a definite jewel!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank mystictopaz2010
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

Simple, immaculate, quiet, private, good location in town, extremely reasonable rates, and very well managed--Hotel Xbulu-Ha is quite the little gem on Isla. Gabriel Martinez Hamed is a helpful, attentive, and thoroughly professional proprietor/manager, and we were particularly impressed with the swiftness and efficiency of his communiques via email with both our inquiries and reservations. This is an unpretentious little place with clean and comfortable accommodations, and for the rates charged, I'm not sure there is a better value on the island. One forgoes the fussy accessories of luxury accommodations, but beach towels and folding beach chairs are provided, and you're on your way. This is a wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Excursive
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in the suite room with a full size fridge, kitchenette, breakfast bar, shower only, and TV w/ many channels. Water pressure was adequate but could have been stronger; coffee maker was available but bring your own filters and coffee beans. Bathroom didn't have shampoo or conditioner so bring your own as well. Internet is free but spotty on occasion. Breakfast downstairs was great but a bit on the pricey side despite the 10% discount for all guests of the hotel. Be sure to read the manual for the safe as it requires resetting of the codes by pressing the red buttons inside the safe; however, in case you lock yourself out just get Gabriel to reset the code for you.

The hotel is walkabe distance from the pier but if you get there late at night as we did, just get a taxi - we paid $3, which was probably two dollares or more than what we should have paid but we were tired and grumpy and didn't care.

Fantastic chicken place next door to the hotel that closes at 5pm. Several laundramats nearby and a bicycle rental shop. Supermarket is less than five minutes walk which has the best exchange rate in town so get your groceries in USD and get your change back in pesos.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple